Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2016, 10:29 AM   #1
pjard

Default Rough cost of tree removal

I have 4 fairly tall pine trees I am thinking of having removed. The area is in a wooded part of my yard but accessible. I see plenty of recommendations on the forum but I am trying to get an idea of what I'm going to pay. Thanks....
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 10:38 AM   #2
Lakeboater

Default Estimates

Hard to say what the cost would be. I think it would depend on how busy a company is and obviously the difficulty in doing the job (think wires, septic location, buildings etc) I had one big ugly pine taken down a few years ago. I got estimates from 5 companies. They ranged from $900 to $2000! Quite a difference. Some guys had cranes others bucket trucks. Get some estimates and read the recommendations you mentioned.
Lakeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakeboater For This Useful Post:
pjard (11-25-2016)
Old 11-25-2016, 11:17 AM   #3
radioman

Default Tree Removal

Get out the phone book and start entertaining estimates as there are quite a number of people who do this but no set formula for cost. Make certain that they will be bidding on the same services ( cut down, removal, chipping and cleanup). Insurance is also a critical factor.

Good Luck!
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to radioman For This Useful Post:
pjard (11-25-2016)
Old 11-25-2016, 11:32 AM   #4
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

What's a phone book?

Anyway, for hard to access trees some companies will still climb and do it the old fashion way.

http://www.whitemountaintreeservice.com/
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
pjard (11-25-2016)
Old 11-25-2016, 11:32 AM   #5
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Here's a ballpark number for you Paul...

If it's a real easy tree and they are able to simply cut it and let it fall your looking around $600.00-$800.00 per. If they have to climb and cut double that number.

Edited to add: The numbers quoted above were for island work. All trees were cut into stove length for outdoor fire pit and stacked neatly in designated location. All limbs and brush were cut small enough to handle and stacked for burning.

Cutting the tree is the easy part it's the cleanup that counts and that's why I recommend Cortney Kelly from Arbortech. Cort and his crew do amazing work!

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 11-25-2016 at 07:22 PM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
pjard (11-25-2016)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-2016, 02:36 PM   #6
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Courtney / Arbortech did a great job for me this summer. He has a bucket and other equipment, but in my case it was mostly climbing and one tractor to move stuff around. I can't separate out individual trees as I also had to pay to barge the tractor out and back as well as barge the trees back to the mainland. With that in mind, Ishoot308's estimate sounds very accurate. My neighbor also got him to drop one big pine in place. No clean up, no removal. I don't know the price, but it took Courtney little time and my neighbor was pleased. I wasn't on site, but the report was that the whole crew was hard workers, no slack time.
Rather than chip (more equipment to barge) or burn, they stacked branches together in the woods and diced them. I had to go looking around to find the piles. Good wildlife habitat and after a couple of snow seasons, probably invisible.
Winnipesaukee Marine was doing work for me too, and they also recommended Courtney as they had worked with him before and they coordinated barge trips. I try to work with contractors I know or who are highly recommended, and if they charge a little more for quality work, that's fine. I did not seek multiple bids.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
pjard (11-25-2016)
Old 11-25-2016, 03:21 PM   #7
pjard

Hey thanks everyone, I really appreciate it. This forum is great for this kind of information. I've got enough information now to start making some phone calls and get some quotes....thanks again!
pjard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 03:49 PM   #8
Outdoorsman

If the trees are dead/dying or at risk of falling on your power lines, consider contacting your power company. They may send out a crew to drop the trees for free. I have done this twice over the last couple of decades.
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Outdoorsman For This Useful Post:
Descant (11-25-2016)
Old 11-25-2016, 05:48 PM   #9
TheTimeTraveler

If you have issues with heavy equipment (such as a bucket truck) accessing these trees due to a septic system then give serious consideration to waiting until the ground freezes to minimize damage.

TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 05:57 PM   #10
Merrymeeting

Hoping that the estimates posted here are VERY rough as they seem way high to me. I just had a large tree removed that we were worried would fall on our parking area. Bucket truck and lots of careful dropping of the higher limbs. About half of what is being quoted here. And yes, fully bonded, insured, and a reputable firm.

A lot of factors enter into price. In our case, tree was right next to the road, with easy access. We did it in the off-season when work is slow, etc.

But I worry that if people think that the quotes here are "reasonable", then prices will escalate quickly.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
Descant (11-25-2016)
Old 11-25-2016, 06:34 PM   #11
LittleMiss61

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjard View Post
I have 4 fairly tall pine trees I am thinking of having removed. The area is in a wooded part of my yard but accessible. I see plenty of recommendations on the forum but I am trying to get an idea of what I'm going to pay. Thanks....
I just paid $1080 for 4 pine trees in Gilford....
LittleMiss61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 06:46 PM   #12
Doobs41378

I have a tree being removed by the road on Monday. it is $700. We had a few trees removed last year that they needed a crane for and it was over $2000 for those 3 trees.
Doobs41378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:24 PM   #13
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobs41378 View Post
I have a tree being removed by the road on Monday. it is $700. We had a few trees removed last year that they needed a crane for and it was over $2000 for those 3 trees.
Anyone having trees removed should do themselves a favor and get at least 4 quotes. As others have noted prices vary widely and the end results are usually virtually the same. We aren't talking about building a house or installing a pool for example where results, material, quality, etc. can vary widely. The tree is gone or it isn't. As long as the tree removal company is insured it doesn't matter. Shop around. Don't get locked into one company.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 11:29 PM   #14
Loub52

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjard View Post

http://www.donovantree.com/tablet/index.html

Great crew, on time, on budget. Give them a call.
Old 11-26-2016, 06:57 AM   #15
fatlazyless

Default .... half price Stihl chainsaw rental?

Wednesday is half price rental day at Rand's Hardware in Plymouth, and they have two Stihl chainsaws that look to be in very good working shape, and big and powerfull. So, just get there at 7-am Wednesday when the store opens and go grab a Stihl and drop your own tree........ timber ........ kaboom ........ ouch .......yikes ....... omg ........ insurance........ what insurance?
moose tracks (11-26-2016)
Old 11-26-2016, 10:29 AM   #16
ursa minor

I'll give another vote for Courtney Kelly / Arbortech. We've had to take down several large hemlocks that the bark beetles got to at the island house. Very fair pricing and meticulous clean up by his crew.
CaptT820 (05-01-2017)
Old 11-27-2016, 10:09 AM   #17
TriDad

Default Gilford

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleMiss61 View Post
I just paid $1080 for 4 pine trees in Gilford....
Who did you use in Gilford for these. Thanks.
TriDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:45 PM   #18
fatlazyless

Here's a good one; www.greenleaftreenh.com .... located in Moultonborough ...... able to remove towering trees that includes removing compound, complex, tricky trees from your mega-million-dollar waterfront mcmansion and done for a Wal-Mart type of a price ....... it's money well spent..... yikes!