Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #1
donnamatrix

Default Algae or moss on roof

Noticed on our garage roof - that is pretty much in the shade - that we have some algae or moss or some green glop "growing" on the shingles. Egad. It's always something! What's the best way to eradicate this problem other than installing copper across the top of the roof. I don't want to get up on the roof and think it's too high and pitched to just spray something from a leaning ladder. There is no way to scrub off what I would spray on. Any suggestions are welcome.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to donnamatrix For This Useful Post:
SteveO123 (11-15-2016)
Old 09-11-2013, 03:58 PM   #2
Diana

Trim your trees. Get some sunshine on there.
Diana is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 03:59 PM   #3
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

I have had good luck, with "Wet it and Forget" it this summer.

The Moss on the roof is mostly gone after one application... I hope to do another application this weekend....

I use the leaning ladder and spray it on technique myself...

You just need to follow the directions...

I have also tried the "Wet it and Forget it" on my deck which is in the shade, and gets some algae / Moss growth, and it worked well there also
Old 09-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #4
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Here is a prior thread. As LIforrelaxin says, Wet and Forget does the job.
http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ight=moss+roof
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #5
GTO

Default Wet and forget

I had a lot of moss on my roof and now it's gone. You can buy it at Heaths Hardware. I have an a-frame with a very steep roof but sprayed it on myself with a garden sprayer. No scrubbing, just spray it on.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:02 AM   #6
Blue Thunder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I had a lot of moss on my roof and now it's gone. You can buy it at Heaths Hardware. I have an a-frame with a very steep roof but sprayed it on myself with a garden sprayer. No scrubbing, just spray it on.
GTO,
If I could indulge you for a bit more info...did you climb up on the roof to apply the product? I have a steep 12 pitch roof as well with the beginning stages of moss growth. I am going to use this product with so many good results posted here...Thanks

BT
Old 09-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #7
GTO

Default wet and forget

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Thunder View Post
GTO,
If I could indulge you for a bit more info...did you climb up on the roof to apply the product? I have a steep 12 pitch roof as well with the beginning stages of moss growth. I am going to use this product with so many good results posted here...Thanks

BT
because I have gutters, I have a stabilizer on the end of my ladder so it keeps it away from the gutters. I climb as high up as I can go and just spray. The sprayer I have I also got at Heaths but I am sure there are probably better ones. The spray just makes it to the very peak as I stretch out my arms as far as possible. Do it on a calm day so the spray isnt blowing everywhere. On the thicker moss I tried to apply a little more. Don't expect results the next day but watch it over time as the moss will brown and then eventually just dies.
Blue Thunder (09-15-2013)
Old 09-12-2013, 09:18 AM   #8
eric richard

Default moss on roof

Hi Donnamatrix,

My name is Eric owner of Eric's & Phil's Home Improvement LLC. I have been doing cleaning of roof for a few years now when my roofing supply company told me about a new product thay have . It will take the moss and any other stain or algae off the roof and to prevent future incidents I install a piece of aluminum under the shingles at the top of the roof that will help with any future incidents.For one low cost it is well worth it beats putting on a new roof or cutting tree down. You can contact me at (603)923-3801 or email me and y691234@aol.com. I am fully insured and have good reference. I use this stuff all the time when my customers think thay need a new roof I clean it and put the strip in and thay got more out of there roof and saved thousands. When I install a new roof if it is in a shaded area I also install the aluminum strips at the top of roof to prevent moss or algae to grow. Feel free to contact me for a quote.

Thank you
Eric Richard
Owner
Eric's & Phil's Home Improvement LLC
(603)509-3880 office
(603)923-3801 cell
eric richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:06 PM   #9
donnamatrix

Default Another possible moss product

Thanks everyone! Another product was suggested to me called "Lilly Miller Moss Out"... you buy the product so that the bottle attaches to your garden hose, no mixing. Has anyone heard of this ? This is the website.
http://www.mossout.com/roofs.htm
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 04:40 PM   #10
eric richard

Default moss on roof

Hi it all depends on how bad the moss it you may still need to get up on the roof to scrap it off. When I do it I us a broom to scrap the moss off going down do not go up you don't want to push it under the shingles that what damage the shingles.I have never used that product so I don't know how good it will work.
Thanks
Eric
eric richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:04 PM   #11
kauriel

I looked up to see if wet & forget is safe for pets and found a $5 rebate offer: http://wetandforget.com/wet_and_foge...ar_rebate.html

For anyone wondering - they indicate it's pet safe once it dries (about 4 - 5 hours after application). We are planning on using it on our shed roof and our dogs frequent the area around the shed. Hopefully it is as safe as they claim!
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kauriel For This Useful Post:
HellRaZoR004 (09-13-2013)
Old 09-16-2013, 08:12 PM   #12
1helpfulhandyman

Default Moss on roof

The best thing to do is to get Zink flashing by the roll. The first row of shingles below the cap (top of roof) is where you install the zink. When it rains a small amount of zink is released and flows down the roof. It will kill the moss and prevent it from growing again. Google zink flashing and you will get an education on moss prevention. Copper will also work but is much more expensive. Drive around and look at others roofs that are stained or have moss. If they have a skylight in the roof, below the skylight the roof will be clean. This is the rain releasing some copper (the flashing on the skylight is copper) and it and prevents stains and moss. Zink works even better. The spray on cleaners are only a temporary fix. Never power wash the roof as it will remove granules and shorten the life of the roof. I have installed zink a few times myself and it always works well. If you dont remove the heavy moss with a broom it may take a year or so for the moss to die and get flushed off the roof by rain. Good Luck !
1helpfulhandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1helpfulhandyman For This Useful Post:
ApS (11-16-2016), HellRaZoR004 (09-16-2013)
Old 09-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #13
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

I just hit my roof with bleach mixed water (4 parts water to 1 bleach) applied in a bug poison pressurized sprayer (not a high pressure wash as it'll wreck your shingles). Worked great and bleach is real cheap. Only thing you have to be careful of is not getting that stuff all over yourself.

I have read mixing water, bleach and trisodium phosphate works well too.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #14
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kauriel View Post
I looked up to see if wet & forget is safe for pets and found a $5 rebate offer: http://wetandforget.com/wet_and_foge...ar_rebate.html

For anyone wondering - they indicate it's pet safe once it dries (about 4 - 5 hours after application). We are planning on using it on our shed roof and our dogs frequent the area around the shed. Hopefully it is as safe as they claim!
I have been using wet it and forget it around the camp this summer, on porches the roof and siding, trying to clean the place up.... I have had no issues, with either my dog, or my sisters dog, having any adverse re-actions from the use of the product.

what I have seen however is a good reduction in Algae and Moss growth.... And I am not one that is easily impressed....
kauriel (09-20-2013)
Old 09-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #15
Fargo

Default Wet and Forget

Today I sprayed the roof and patio with Wet and Forget. Smells better than bleach. I'll report back in a month as to how it is working to get rid of the moss.
Fargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 09:23 PM   #16
kauriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
I have been using wet it and forget it around the camp this summer, on porches the roof and siding, trying to clean the place up.... I have had no issues, with either my dog, or my sisters dog, having any adverse re-actions from the use of the product.

what I have seen however is a good reduction in Algae and Moss growth.... And I am not one that is easily impressed....
I'm glad to hear it's as safe as it claims! Our dogs like to eat everything so we try to be very careful about what we put in our yard. We've learned the hard way that some of our existing plants are toxic to dogs
kauriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:22 AM   #17
bigdog

How to use 'Wet & Forget' or 'Spray & Forget It' ?
https://www.sprayandforget.com/
and
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Spray-For...SPRY/206921329

I know this product comes in a container that attaches to garden hose, but exactly how far will the spray extend ? Concerned on how far it will reach ?

Thanks,
BD
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigdog For This Useful Post:
KPW (11-16-2016)
Old 11-15-2016, 10:54 PM   #18
Meredith AK

Default Wet it and forget it

Just used this product a month ago. It sprays around 20 feet. You have to be a little creative for high spots with ladders or through windows. Most all the moss turns brown or yellow within a week or so. A second application is typically needed for those areas that are really built up about a month after the first application.
Meredith AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 08:44 AM   #19
radioman

Default Roof Moss

We had the same problem and obtained a product called "MOSS OUT" from Lilly Miller.
This product comes with its own spray nozzle which allows you to shoot 20 ft or so depending on the water pressure from your hose. 1 pt will cover 500 sq ft. Moss turns white in 24 hrs and then slowly sluffs off over the next several weeks. This product is easy to use and very effective but comes with a serious Warning for humans and animals. Google lillymiller. com for more details.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2016, 03:25 PM   #20
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

If this stuff drips into the garden along the side of my house will it kill the perennials or shrubs?

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2016, 10:04 AM   #21
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
If this stuff drips into the garden along the side of my house will it kill the perennials or shrubs?
From their website:
Make certain none of the mixture runs from eaves
or splashes on planted area below roofs. Where this possibility exists,
cover shrubs, flowers or lawn before making application. Where treating
walkways or patios, avoid application to adjacent lawn or plants
mcdude (11-17-2016), SteveO123 (11-19-2016)
Old 11-19-2016, 07:39 AM   #22
Blue Thunder

While applying this product from the ground is probably much easier and safer, I used a pump sprayer and my ladder. Directly applied it to the shingles and no dripping from the eaves at all. It works great.

BT
Old 11-19-2016, 09:07 AM   #23
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

I'm thinking of redirecting my downspouts away from the house (to insure nothing drips on shrubs or perennials) with something flexible until after the first good rainstorm or two.....that should cover it don't you think? The problem is that the downspouts empty into a "canal" that is directly next to the shrubs and stuff.

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote