Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-16-2012, 10:49 AM   #1
tpabrad

Default Would Derby date be changed due to weather?

Im due to head up for the derby but getting concerned about the weather. Would they push back the date in hopes of better conditions? Any info from up there would be helpful!!

Thanks!
tpabrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
JDeere

They have in the past and I am thinking they will be forced to do it soon.
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #3
AC2717

if you look in the hockey tourney thread, there is a picture of the founder of the tournament standing in the bay, with a drill in his hand with his hands high up in the air. I think Meredith Bay is iced in..

With that in mind since that area is iced in, i would suppose they would have the derby on time???
Old 01-16-2012, 12:24 PM   #4
Water Camper

Default Meredith Bay Open

Went by yesterday. Wide open except in front of the motel at the corner, but not very far out. Beautiful steam rising off from the water in the bay. Looked pretty earie!

Paugus Bay on Saturday was wide open also. But today it is iced over. We actually watched it ice in yesterday!
Water Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 12:43 PM   #5
tpabrad

I did see the picture of him which looked promising. Hopefully the wind doesnt eat it all up! I havent bought plane tickets yet because were behind on getting prepared, so hopefully things stabilize in the next week so I can get everything finalized.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2012, 12:47 PM   #6
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Thing is we'll need very cold nights with no wind and days where it doesn't edge to far above freezing to really get the ice to start forming and the long range weather report isn't looking to promising. Matter of fact at this point I think it's unlikely the lake will completely ice over unless drastic cold comes in to stay and soon. So I'd place my bets on an early start to the boating season this year.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:30 AM   #7
donnamatrix

Default Derby Schedule Unchanged

The Fishing Derby schedule is unchanged: February 11-12 will be the Great Rotary Ice Fishing Derby -- unless of course, the weather gets balmy and the ice we have disappears. We are having nice cold days and nights... making ice. There are many bobhouses on 19 & 20 Mile Bay, on northern part of Winnisquam, etc., You can get daily ice updates from AJ's Bait and Tackle site (http://www.ajsbaitandtackle.com). Trout are currently being caught at 19 and 20 Mile Bay, States Landing, Alton Bay, Blackey's Cove and Center Harbor. Also, White Lake, Chocorua, Winona, Tewksbury Pond and others...

The Derby Committee will make a decision whether to postpone the Derby during our meetnig on January 25th. That will give two weeks notice to everyone. With the weather cold and the ice forming, it is unlikely the Derby will be postponed. It has NEVER been cancelled, and only been postponed once in 33 years.
donnamatrix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donnamatrix For This Useful Post:
tpabrad (01-17-2012), VitaBene (01-17-2012)
Old 01-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #8
Belmont Resident

Default Balmy 40 out now

It's already 40 here in Belmont. As mentioned not much for real cold then back to 40's by Sunday.
It truely has been a long time since we have had such a warm, dry winter.
I believe Bosten station said something about the least amount of snow to date since records were being kept.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
HomeWood

I just got a Rotary email saying the derby is still schedule for 2/11 & 12. Is that the final decision or should we still stand by for another update?
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:29 PM   #10
donnamatrix

Default Fishing Derby Schedule

The Derby Committee meets this evening (1/25) following the regular Rotary meeting. With input from our meteorologist, NH Fish&Game, ice measurements from a variety of locations, etc., etc., the Committee will determine whether to keep the date of February 11-12 or postpone it (probably by a period of 2 weeks). In 33 years, we have postponed the Derby one single time, and never cancelled it. We all want to have a successful Derby on the dates selected, but at the same time must keep safety in mind. If the date is re-scheduled, we will immediately put a notice on our website, on our Facebook page, and notify the media (WMUR, Citizen, etc.) of the decision. It is never a decision we take lightly, for rescheduling this event - more than a year in planning - is an enormous inconvenience for participants, hoteliers, restaurants, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to donnamatrix For This Useful Post:
tpabrad (01-25-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #11
HomeWood

Two weeks seems a little much. If so, count me and our crew out. I think the turnout would be worse than 2006. Our area of the lake was almost empty that year. I understand the whole safety thing but it's always ice fish at your own risk. Here's to hoping for an on time derby.

Maybe derby weekend should just be the third weekend in February now instead of the second. I'll still buy tickets in the future whether I fish thy weekend or not because of the great causes it supports.

Last edited by HomeWood; 01-25-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #12
tpabrad

Keeping my fingers crossed. Finally got confirmation that were a go for that week, and vacation is needed badly!
Old 01-25-2012, 09:14 PM   #13
donnamatrix

Default The Derby is ON as scheduled

Hi everyone:

During the Derby Committee meeting tonight we received our various reports on ice conditions. The Derby Chairman has been out on Meredith Bay and Center Harbor as well. The Derby will go on as scheduled for weekend of February 11-12, 2012 - barring any 80 degree weather! Tonight is nice and cold, the water flow from Waukewan has been slowed to ease the flow of the river into the big lake - the ice has formed and is thickening. We are excited about the 33rd annual Derby. The trailer will be put in place on Feb. 8th and all the equipment setup. Come join us- Catch the big one! Remember-you don't have to fish to win big cash prizes.... Stop by the trailer to say hi and good luck to everyone.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donnamatrix For This Useful Post:
Jonas Pilot (01-26-2012), Resident 2B (01-26-2012)
Old 01-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #14
calef22

Default derby

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamatrix View Post
hi everyone:

During the derby committee meeting tonight we received our various reports on ice conditions. The derby chairman has been out on meredith bay and center harbor as well. The derby will go on as scheduled for weekend of february 11-12, 2012 - barring any 80 degree weather! Tonight is nice and cold, the water flow from waukewan has been slowed to ease the flow of the river into the big lake - the ice has formed and is thickening. We are excited about the 33rd annual derby. The trailer will be put in place on feb. 8th and all the equipment setup. Come join us- catch the big one! Remember-you don't have to fish to win big cash prizes.... Stop by the trailer to say hi and good luck to everyone.
yeah baby!
calef22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:25 PM   #15
HomeWood

Woohoo! Great news! Thanks for the lightning fast update.