Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2018, 05:52 AM   #1
ApS

Post Two Ejected in Meredith Boat Crash...

From WMUR:

Quote:
A preliminary investigation found that a Yamaha jet boat with four people on board was traveling at approximately 12 mph, leaving from the fireworks in the Weirs area, when they struck a submerged rock.

The impact ejected Shawn Carr, 35, of Seekonk, Massachusetts, into the water, where he suffered a head injury. He was able to climb back onto the boat.

A 13-year-old boy, who was driving the boat, suffered facial and hand injuries. The two other passengers on board the vessel were not hurt.

After the crash, good Samaritans assisted the boat and passengers to shore. Carr and the boy were transported to Lakes Region General Hospital for treatment.

Alcohol and drug impairment did not appear to be factors in this crash, but the circumstances leading up to the crash are still under investigation.

Anyone who may have witnessed anything related to this event is encouraged to contact Sgt. Seth Alie at 603-227 - 2117 or Seth.Alie@dos.nh.gov.
https://www.wmur.com/article/two-hur...aukee/22705331

Also, at Boston Globe with paywall:

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/20...JIJ/story.html

Old 08-12-2018, 06:52 AM   #2
tis

Thanked 1,376 Times in 952 Posts

When I heard that on tv last night I wondered why a 13 year old was driving the boat.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:58 AM   #3
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
When I heard that on tv last night I wondered why a 13 year old was driving the boat.
Bingo! Same thing I wondered...
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:23 AM   #4
Garcia

Default 13 year old driving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Bingo! Same thing I wondered...
When I was 13 I regularly drove the boat when my parents were in it - and have done the same with my own children before they were old enough to obtain safe boater certificates at 16.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (08-12-2018), Descant (08-12-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 07:32 AM   #5
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
When I was 13 I regularly drove the boat when my parents were in it - and have done the same with my own children before they were old enough to obtain safe boater certificates at 16.

During the day if they are capable and understand the rules. Is perfectly fine, but 10pm????

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (08-12-2018)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2018, 07:38 AM   #6
betterthanbacon

Sounds like bad navigation. Which is easy to do at night.
Might have been the same case with an adult at the helm.
I know my GPS is worth every cent I paid for it.
Wondering exactly where this happen.
betterthanbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:42 AM   #7
Garcia

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
During the day if they are capable and understand the rules. Is perfectly fine, but 10pm????

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Even at 10:00 PM. I'm talking just of my experience and that of my children and not this case. Supervision, support, encouragement, and safe boating in the teen years left me confident in my children's abilities when they reached 16. I know others who have done the same.

I don't know the details of this case and am only speaking from my experience as a young boat driver and later the father of young drivers. Getting experience is essential - as is making sure that no one is put in situations he or she is not ready to handle. No matter what, this is a sad thing to read about.
Garcia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garcia For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (08-12-2018), ishoot308 (08-12-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 08:03 AM   #8
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Good experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
For me, it is good experience. We let our grandson drive at night when he was that age. Either my Dad or I was standing next to him the whole time.

It was " look for the double flashing light, that's Moose Is. Keep to the left of it. Now look for the single flashing light, that's Little Mark. Keep to the left of it....."

We navigate by our knowledge of the lake, backed up by charts and now by GPS as well, which is only obtained by experience. The kids, and I, were taught, if there is any doubt as to where we were at, slow down or stop until you are sure.

In this particular case, I fear it may have been a momentary lack of supervision. Hopefully all are fine today.

Dave
Descant (08-12-2018), Phantom (08-17-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 08:37 AM   #9
8gv

This could have been really bad if they were going fast like the ones I see blasting across Paugus Bay some nights.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:59 AM   #10
Rinkerguy

I too let my son drive the boat at a young age, but I was always paying close attention to course, speed and traffic. While he drove at night, I was directly behind him, to take over immediately when I noticed an error in judgement.

Sounds like bad parental supervision of an underage driver, and certainly should be taken as a learning lesson to anyone reading this thread.
Rinkerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:12 AM   #11
Woody38

I do not know that area well and am wondering if the rock is marked.

-----------------------------------------

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 02:53 PM   #12
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkerguy View Post
I too let my son drive the boat at a young age, but I was always paying close attention to course, speed and traffic. While he drove at night, I was directly behind him, to take over immediately when I noticed an error in judgement.

Sounds like bad parental supervision of an underage driver, and certainly should be taken as a learning lesson to anyone reading this thread.
Totally agree 100%. However, maybe the 13yr old was going where the adult was telling him to go..., we don't know that yet, and probably never will. Either way, it is COMPLETELY the adult's fault as far as I'm concerned. Hope the kid's confidence doesn't take to big of a hit. That is the adult's responsibility too... Nothing like the ear to ear grin on a kid's face when driving anything!!! I love seeing that!! I used to let my son sit on my lap and drive a car when he was 3 or 4, (my father did the same for me). Again, at age 3 or 4, I used to have my son sit in front of me while snowmobiling, and I would let him take complete control all the time, and by the time he was 8 or 9, I gave him that sled which he was very familiar with as his first sled to ride solo, (670cc), and he handled it just fine. Never had an issue with him. Now, at age 23, (fingers crossed), he has NEVER had any incidents on a sled, boat, motorcycle, or car. Better to start them young so it's "no big deal" to them when they become legal and are responsible for passengers and other's on the road, trail, or water IMHO.

Last edited by Cal Coon; 08-13-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:00 PM   #13
rick35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody38 View Post
I do not know that area well and am wondering if the rock is marked.

-----------------------------------------

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
The WMUR story said it happened near the Cattle Landing. There are exposed rocks and very shallow water across from there around Dolly Island. There are two red markers that mark the general area.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 05:09 PM   #14
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

My 8-year-old captains our 20' 'toon better than most of the others we pass on the lake. His ability, nor mine, would prevent every accident possible. The most experienced boaters on this forum have hit something at some point, including me. The description of the accident doesn't sound reckless, it sounds like an accident.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is online now   Reply With Quote