Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-16-2017, 09:45 PM   #1
sledneck

Default Wine'ing Butcher (Gilford)

I know this place isn't a restaurant but hear this. It sure as hell should be. I have had just about everything but fish from this place (just not a fish guy). Steak, chicken, burgers, dogs, sausage, sides (best loaded potato salad ever). Just all around great selection of everything. They have an extremely knowledgeable and friendly staff. If they had a guy/gal with a grill during the summer and a few picnic tables out front, this place would be a gold mine. Grill up the meats you select, pick a few sides (may I recommend the loaded potato salad?), a bottle of wine or a couple of tapped kegs for cold drafts? Patrick's should be walking across the parking lot to this place for their provisions. I will definitely continue to return to this place.
sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:12 AM   #2
tbonies

The Wine'ing Butcher is fills a great niche and is a wonderful food option that the Lakes Region is fortunate to have. It caters to those who like prepared food and prepped meat. The quality is great. The higher prices reflect the value the market niche they cater to is willing to pay. The Wine'ing Butcher is less appealing to those who prefer to do everything themselves, or who are always looking to pay the lowest unit cost (but then spend a lot of money in restaurants with marginal food).
tbonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 06:30 AM   #3
Phantom

Sledneck & others ---

After Wine'ing Butchers original owners (they had 3 locations including one in VA which we had actually visited) sold out, seemed to us, although great quality meats & tips that their prices simply went OUTRAGEOUSLY high for what you were ultimately getting as a consumer - like literally twice the price per pound as other options.

Since then we have been frequenting Hannaford's and feels "bang for buck" you can't go wrong.

With that said, I am a fan of supporting local vs Chain store and the Wine'ing Butcher is literally walking distance from us --- have the prices come back in line with reality ?

P.S. Isn't the name also now changed and no longer Wine'ing Butcher ?

Is the same true of the Meredith location ?

newbie (05-25-2020)
Old 08-17-2017, 06:46 AM   #4
rsmlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sledneck View Post
I know this place isn't a restaurant but hear this. It sure as hell should be. I have had just about everything but fish from this place (just not a fish guy). Steak, chicken, burgers, dogs, sausage, sides (best loaded potato salad ever). Just all around great selection of everything. They have an extremely knowledgeable and friendly staff. If they had a guy/gal with a grill during the summer and a few picnic tables out front, this place would be a gold mine. Grill up the meats you select, pick a few sides (may I recommend the loaded potato salad?), a bottle of wine or a couple of tapped kegs for cold drafts? Patrick's should be walking across the parking lot to this place for their provisions. I will definitely continue to return to this place.
Sledneck, I agree with you but I think you'll find that many on the forum are cheapskates who don't realize that business's need to make a profit. Obviously, Wine'ing Butcher does all right and their prices are not egregiously high. Their turkey tips are fantastic.
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:59 AM   #5
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts
Default Cheapskates?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
Sledneck, I agree with you but I think you'll find that many on the forum are cheapskates who don't realize that business's need to make a profit. Obviously, Wine'ing Butcher does all right and their prices are not egregiously high. Their turkey tips are fantastic.
I think most people here understand that businesses are in business to make a profit. Don't confuse not wanting to overpay for steak tips (which at the WB are adequate at best) with being cheap.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Major (06-01-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2017, 10:32 AM   #6
Phantom

Nicely put VitaBene ............... Thank You !

Old 08-17-2017, 10:47 AM   #7
boat_guy64

Default Wine'ing Butcher

It is on the expensive side but I feel it is worth it. When I have my NA staff meeting up at the lake, my team votes to have Wine'ing butcher on my grill at least one night versus going out. They feel it is that good.

This year, they have some $79 specials. Our group at the lake has been buying them and eating them quite frequently this year.

If you want take out....their barbecue chicken pizza is killer as is much of the other food that they make.
boat_guy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 01:01 PM   #8
8gv

There is great meat and other yummy food to buy there.

I usually shop around for good deals but sometimes pay extra for quality or convenience.

This place has both.

While I am too cheap to go there often, I must admit that the best steak I have ever grilled came from there!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:41 PM   #9
DougNH

I generally eat Prime verses Choice and WB is the only place I have fond that sometimes carry’s it or will order it like special cuts like Goat. Generally during the summer they will have some type of Prime and it is reasonable priced verses where I usually have to get it online such as Lobel’s.

This is the Meredith store.
DougNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:04 AM   #10
jeffk

Personally, I judge the Wine'ing butcher cuts excellent and the Hannaford ones very good.

Comparing meat choice to a restaurant choice, I may eat at many restaurants throughout the year and enjoy them very much. However if I am dining out for a birthday, anniversary, or with special guests, I will "splurge" to go to a restaurant with the best food and service and probably accompanying top prices. I love eating at O's but am not going to pay the prices every few weeks for the experience. Instead I happily "make do" at Nolan's, the Bob House, Giuseppe’s, Shibley's, VK, the dreaded Canoe, and others.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 05:30 AM   #11
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
Personally, I judge the Wine'ing butcher cuts excellent and the Hannaford ones very good.

Comparing meat choice to a restaurant choice, I may eat at many restaurants throughout the year and enjoy them very much. However if I am dining out for a birthday, anniversary, or with special guests, I will "splurge" to go to a restaurant with the best food and service and probably accompanying top prices. I love eating at O's but am not going to pay the prices every few weeks for the experience. Instead I happily "make do" at Nolan's, the Bob House, Giuseppe’s, Shibley's, VK, the dreaded Canoe, and others.
Absolutely agree Jeff. Very well stated.
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 07:15 AM   #12
rsmlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post

Agreed. While the New Woodshed is somewhat pricier than others in the area, I think it's worth it. Also, Jojo's has excellent cuts of beef and worth the extra few bucks.
Old 08-18-2017, 10:12 AM   #13
chipj29

While I have not been to the WB in Gilford, I have been to the shop in Pembroke several times this summer. Although not cheap, their steak tips are unbelievably good. It is a nice treat, not something I would buy weekly. Service there is excellent.
Old 08-18-2017, 02:58 PM   #14
Greene's Basin Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsmlp View Post
Agreed. While the New Woodshed is somewhat pricier than others in the area, I think it's worth it. Also, Jojo's has excellent cuts of beef and worth the extra few bucks.
Of course JoJo's is owned by Heath's.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 03:24 PM   #15
rsmlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greene's Basin Girl View Post
Of course JoJo's is owned by Heath's.
True, BUT they buy their meats independently from Heath's. MUCH better. Anyone who has shopped will vouch for me.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:48 PM   #16
Hillcountry

Is Jojo's the place halfway down M'boro Neck Rd?
If so, I can vouch for the beef there as well...found this place when I used to camp out at The campground near the bridge years ago.
I have had them cut extra thick sirloin steaks ( now called NY strip) and ribeye (formerly known as delmonicos)
For grilling and have also had some very good Porterhouse steaks too. Great beef!
I'll gladly pay for quality beef and they fill the bill for that.
That said, I have had great beef from the Meredith Wine'ing Butcher too!
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 06:52 AM   #17
rsmlp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Is Jojo's the place halfway down M'boro Neck Rd?
If so, I can vouch for the beef there as well...found this place when I used to camp out at The campground near the bridge years ago.
I have had them cut extra thick sirloin steaks ( now called NY strip) and ribeye (formerly known as delmonicos)
For grilling and have also had some very good Porterhouse steaks too. Great beef!
I'll gladly pay for quality beef and they fill the bill for that.
That said, I have had great beef from the Meredith Wine'ing Butcher too!
That's the place! Always busy and prices are def higher than Heath's. Of course, it's more convenient for those of us who live on the Neck.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:40 AM   #18
VitaBene

Thanked 1,599 Times in 820 Posts

There is no question that JoJos and the WB both have high quality steaks- I gladly shop for them at both. I just think that they ruin good steak tips through over use of the vacuum tumbler. Flavorful, but the texture is off.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:26 PM   #19
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
There is no question that JoJos and the WB both have high quality steaks- I gladly shop for them at both. I just think that they ruin good steak tips through over use of the vacuum tumbler. Flavorful, but the texture is off.

I agree about the texture Vita! Don't care at all for their tips because of it...

Dan
Old 09-06-2017, 08:34 PM   #20
Bigstan

Default Thank you

So Shaws and Hannafords both failed me - my mission was to get Chinese pork. Neither could help, either off the shelf or behind the meat counter.

So I went off to get the makings of apology margaritas at the Gilford liquor store in the Patricks plaza. I got out of the car and I see the WB right there.

Being prepared to pay through the nose I went in and found my Chinese pork behind the counter. While I waited I went to the 2nd counter with prepared salads and saw a great looking pair of potato salads among other things.

5 minutes later I was out the door with a pound of red potato salad and two lbs of Chinese pork and only $20 poorer. Great quality pork, low fat and all uniformly cut too assure an even cooking time.

Steak tips were $15/lb @ 3lbs bought, but I was not after steak. There were 3-4 people ahead of me that did get tips though, so I don't doubt the quality - they looked great and there were 5 or so varieties.

So thank you WB, I got what I wanted and it was great. Cost me less than the margarita makings would have too.

Two thumbs up, I'll be back next week.
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 06:39 AM   #21
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Local Provisions

Located downtown Laconia next to Wayfarers Coffee, across from the Colonial theater. Great beef, marinades and salad. I think the quality is as good as JJ and WB. Price more reasonable. Give it a shot!

This is where the high end restaurants go.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:48 AM   #22
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts
Default Local Provisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Located downtown Laconia next to Wayfarers Coffee, across from the Colonial theater. Great beef, marinades and salad. I think the quality is as good as JJ and WB. Price more reasonable. Give it a shot!

This is where the high end restaurants go.
Local Provisions is the same owners as the Local Eatery located at the old Railroad Station near Burrito Me
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:30 PM   #23
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

I can't remember where, but someone mentioned Wineing Butcher in Meredith for pizza, so we tried it today. It was very good, for sure, but maybe a bit undercooked, so we want to give it a second go to confirm where it stands with Elvio's and Piccolo Market.

Their subs, however, were just ok. Meatball was fine—very satisfied with taste, size, and price—but the chicken parm was not very filled at all.

Getting great subs on the Moultonborough side of the lake is proving to be difficult.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 01:50 PM   #24
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Jojo’s

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I can't remember where, but someone mentioned Wineing Butcher in Meredith for pizza, so we tried it today. It was very good, for sure, but maybe a bit undercooked, so we want to give it a second go to confirm where it stands with Elvio's and Piccolo Market.

Their subs, however, were just ok. Meatball was fine—very satisfied with taste, size, and price—but the chicken parm was not very filled at all.

Getting great subs on the Moultonborough side of the lake is proving to be difficult.

Doesn’t Jojo’s make great subs? Thought they were the best on that side of the lake...

Dan
Old 05-25-2020, 02:17 PM   #25
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Doesn’t Jojo’s make great subs? Thought they were the best on that side of the lake...

Dan
Yes! My mistake—on the map in my head, I was thinking main roads.

JoJo's was actually our original plan until I remembered someone posting about Wineing.

thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 03:16 PM   #26
pondguy

I go to the Gilford WB for their steak tips and turkey tips, love um !
pondguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:01 PM   #27
garysanfran

Default Half baked...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post

I get a "half baked" pizza from WB-Meredith and finish it at home...Usually around 500 degrees 7-9 minutes. Have done the same at Piccolo and Elvio's.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:33 PM   #28
WinnisquamZ

Default Wine'ing Butcher (Gilford)

Agree. Steak tips are fantastic. Also, not a better ribeye steak purchase around. Yes, very pricey

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:52 PM   #29
mishman

Default my take on best pizza

I love and patronize WB for steak tips and key west chicken. Simply the best if a bit overpriced.
However, I believe Piccolos in Moultonborough has hands down the best pizza in the area. Again, a bit pricey but they used great ingredients and know what they are doing around a pizza oven. I have also tried just about every sandwich they make and love them as well.

One more tip of the hat to WB - their lobster salad is very good.
mishman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mishman For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (06-01-2020), joey2665 (05-31-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 11:32 AM   #30
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishman View Post
I love and patronize WB for steak tips and key west chicken. Simply the best if a bit overpriced.
However, I believe Piccolos in Moultonborough has hands down the best pizza in the area. Again, a bit pricey but they used great ingredients and know what they are doing around a pizza oven. I have also tried just about every sandwich they make and love them as well.

One more tip of the hat to WB - their lobster salad is very good.
Another vote for Piccolo’s Market for the best pizza in the lakes region! That “goodfellas” is just unforgettable!
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:52 PM   #31
winni83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Another vote for Piccolo’s Market for the best pizza in the lakes region! That “goodfellas” is just unforgettable!
Hill. Totally agree about the Goodfella and Piccolo's in genreal. My wife, a retired cardiac nurse, cringes when I order that. I temper the push back by getting her a veggie pizza -- no sharing.
winni83 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to winni83 For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (06-01-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 01:02 PM   #32
garysanfran

Default Piccolo's...

Got a half-baked 15" today. They do a great job.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:14 PM   #33
garysanfran

Default Goat???

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougNH View Post
I generally eat Prime verses Choice and WB is the only place I have fond that sometimes carry’s it or will order it like special cuts like Goat. Generally during the summer they will have some type of Prime and it is reasonable priced verses where I usually have to get it online such as Lobel’s.

This is the Meredith store.
They can order goat? I happen to love goat and have been looking for a place to buy that and rabbit...The price they were going to charge to order a rabbit, however, was 11 times what I pay in SF.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:40 PM   #34
Barney Bear

Default Potential Saving?

Perhaps it would be less expensive if they split hares.
Barney Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Barney Bear For This Useful Post:
Crusty (06-01-2020), garysanfran (06-02-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 09:59 PM   #35
Meredith AK

Default Rabbit

The new Market Basket in Plymouth has rabbit for sale in the meat department the last two times we've been there. It's reasonably priced as well.
Meredith AK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Meredith AK For This Useful Post:
garysanfran (06-02-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 01:52 PM   #36
garysanfran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Bear View Post
Perhaps it would be less expensive if they split hares.
That is too funny. Thanks for making my day.