Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2021, 08:01 PM   #1
milesbob

Default Dog ramp for pontoon boat

I am taking delivery of a new pontoon boat this spring.
We have a 50 lb dog that loves to swim and I have seen many folks who have ramps off the side that connect and allow the dog to climb up without assistance. This is for when we are out on the lake not for him to get in the boat or for a dock.

I have looked on google and didn’t see anything that looks great.
Anyone have a source for a good ramp?
Anyone make their own?
milesbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:14 PM   #2
WinnisquamZ

Familiar with the yellow plastic one many retailers sell. Garbage. The weight of the dog will push it under.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:22 PM   #3
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default Pick one!

The 7 Best Dog Boat Ramps (2021)

https://www.doglovesbest.com/best-dog-boat-ramps/
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 10:31 AM   #4
LakeTimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
The 7 Best Dog Boat Ramps (2021)

https://www.doglovesbest.com/best-dog-boat-ramps/
I will tell you we got #2 on this list a few years back and it's borderline useless. It attaches to the ladder with no problem, but the issue is on typical Winni days, there tends to be waves and chop. With the boat rocking due to the waves, making the ladder move up and down, makes it essentially too hard for the dog to use. On a calm day, works decent. Only other thing to consider - if it's your only ladder to get onboard, it renders your ladder useless for everyone else in the water. I have no problem floating for hours, so doesn't matter to me, but my wife, parents and guests seem to think differently...

I've got a bowrider and considered fabricating my own, just haven't come up with exactly how yet... Back of my head, this is one of the factors I'm trying to use to convince myself that upgrading to a newer boat (ideally Cobalt R7) that has the swim platform that folds underwater would makes sense. It does until I do the financial math .... Just means I need more reasons

Out of curiosity - anyone on here have a Cobalt R5 or R7 and use the swim platform for your pet? Does it work well or is it not deep enough? Our dog is the typical 65lbs dog - so not big by any stretch, but not a small dog either.
LakeTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 02:04 PM   #5
CampEye

I have a 2016 R5 with the swim platform, and the dogs (50-60 lbs) come on and off the boat almost too easily. Dive in, climb back on board, shake, repeat.... The step is at about the perfect depth for them.
CampEye is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CampEye For This Useful Post:
DotRat (06-10-2021), LakeTimes (04-01-2021)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2021, 03:57 PM   #6
LakeTimes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampEye View Post
I have a 2016 R5 with the swim platform, and the dogs (50-60 lbs) come on and off the boat almost too easily. Dive in, climb back on board, shake, repeat.... The step is at about the perfect depth for them.
Thanks CampEye! Exactly the response I was hoping for!
Old 06-10-2021, 01:08 PM   #7
Keel Holler

Hey, I have a friend who bought a fancy one for her two 80lb goldens. There are brackets that attach to the boat, & she decided she didn’t want to do that, but shipping & restock fees kept her from returning the ramp. If you’re interested, I could put you in touch...

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Keel Holler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 04:37 PM   #8
LakeTimes

Figured I would post an update on this as we bought a new one and it works great! (None the less, really wishing we would have gone the R7/R8 path outlined above, but not this year :-)

In doing our continuous research on this - we came across a new one that we hadn't seen yet. We love the brand having a small one of their 'Inflatable Docks' that we use to clean around the boat or jump off of and then we have another one of their really large inflatable docks (we have the 10 x 10): Link here: https://swimline.com/collections/sol...ocks-platforms

We have had them for several years now. Really well made, durable, solid, we inflate and deflate frequently - lives up to exactly what we need them for and why we bought them.

When we noticed they came out with a Dog model - we ordered one from West Marine as that was the fastest route to our hands (https://www.westmarine.com/buy/solst...85?recordNum=2).

We used it this past Saturday - AMAZING! Worked great! Used it Sunday and the entire black bottom tore right out the 2nd time our dog swam on it. Couldn't believe it!

After more research, I noticed in pictures that Swimline (brand) must have just recently updated the model to fix EXACTLY what happened to us. Look at the west marine picture closely and you can see how the black mesh netting is sewed right into the inflatable. On the 'updated' one (picture at the link below from Swimline) it now has what appears to be a very different, more robust way to attach to the float using rope (clearly looks to be MUCH improved).

Link to updated version: https://swimline.com/collections/sol...orts-pup-plank

Needless to say, we've been back and forth with the company today and they are sending us a new one with the new design! Hopefullly this one works much better and is much more durable, but time & use will tell.

Happy to update others as time goes on (if people even care) as to whether the new design is durable to withstand our 70lbs pups Lake Time!!! Should it not hold up, I've already designed a plan B to build and attach to this float as I know that PVC material is extremely durable from experience! :-)

Last edited by LakeTimes; 06-12-2021 at 08:32 AM.