Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-27-2013, 10:33 AM   #1
dmjr

Default Lobster Pound

Last evening I stopped over at the Lobster Pound since I had not been there in a long time. I went in sat down and noticed that they have no sandwiches, burgers or wraps on the menu. I asked the server about this and she informed me that they don’t do sandwiches, burgers or wraps for dinner. I then asked about getting a burger and she said “we can do a burger, but the chef does not like to do it”. After that was said I left. The place just left a bad feeling with me.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

In today's hot burger market, I am surprised that the LP does not have a burger on the dinner menu?

Last edited by VitaBene; 07-28-2013 at 10:10 AM.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #3
dmjr

Nope! No Burgers, Sandwiches or wraps.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:20 PM   #4
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

oh oh.....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:31 PM   #5
Happy Gourmand

The Lobster Pound is a seafood restaurant, do you go to McDonald's or Burger King and expect to find good seafood?
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2013, 06:47 PM   #6
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Wow!

I have yet to see a fine seafood place not serving meat and vice versa. O's has great seafood as well as steaks.

I have spent the week along the Maine Coast, Even the Lobster pounds have burgers and even hotdogs.

Actually, I never did care for the food at LP. Its not at all that great compared to the fine seafood places in the LR area and Maine.
Old 07-29-2013, 05:57 AM   #7
dpg

I like the Lobster Pound, I hate the Lobster Pound, I like the Lobster Pound.......The most talked about place on this site!
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:12 AM   #8
SIKSUKR

So they said they would serve you something not on the menu and you come here and to voice your disappointment?
Old 07-29-2013, 06:17 AM   #9
fpartri497

I ate at the LP last week the prices are outrageous to say the least. it cost $80.00 with tip for the wife & I . wont be back

Old 07-29-2013, 06:37 AM   #10
RailroadJoe

Stopped at Wendy's in Gilford for Chili, chicken sandich, fries and a drink. Cost me a big $4.00 including the tax.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:18 AM   #11
hazelnut

Thumbs up Love the Pound

Opinions vary... I absolutely love the "Pound." The staff are fantastic people. I have had some of the best times in the lakes region on the roof deck listening to live music watching the sun go down and enjoying some really good Pizza, yes Pizza! So while there are no burgers and wraps you could have grabbed a slice or two.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hazelnut For This Useful Post:
trfour (08-08-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #12
ITD

Default I'd go back

I ate at the Lobster Pound last night, including all in our party, we had the calamari, salad, clam chowder, lobster, lobster mac and cheese, broiled scallops, grilled scallops, broiled haddock and fried clams, oh and fresh bread. All were very good and well prepared. There was a pretty good crowd for a Tuesday night, about 2/3s full. We had great service and all in our party liked their food. I would give the whole experience a thumbs up. YMMV.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:38 AM   #13
shooter

Cool Not impressed

Went there a few weeks ago , same thing happened, we were looking for some burgers and sandwiches , when we were informed that these items were not on the diner menu we decided to stay as we were pressed for time before the movie started at the drive in.two adults two children , the food was ok at best , but the bill really left a bad taste in my mouth and we did not even have adult beverages

It's a shame as I know some of the lunch menu items are good and the atmosphere is very good also

If they change this policy of not serving sandwiches for the diner menu ,the place would see a two fold in patrons and I might consider going back myself.

Lowering prices a bit could help the cause also...!
shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:41 PM   #14
benzguy

Default Lobster Pound

Have not been to the pound since last season. I suspect that it is hit or miss like it has been, at least last season. Its hard to give accurate reviews of the local restaurants, being summertime and having to deal with the crowds. I hope they continue focusing on the lobster portion of the menu and not the Italian portion. Just like the old days of just plain ole Lobster Pound. I wish them the best trying to deal with all the crowds.
benzguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #15
dt5150

the last time we went there (late last summer), we didn't have a good experience either. food was blah and WAY too expensive. cost us darn near $100 for just the wife and i. tourist trap. we won't be back..
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 04:07 PM   #16
LadyoftheLake

Talking WOW, yes the LP is pricey !!

I am sitting here at the LP, still waitng dinner after 20 min. The two pound Lobster cost 72 dollars. I am getting the broiled haddock for 17.00. Posted here from my Droid.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #17
LadyoftheLake

Talking WOW, yes the LP is pricey !!

I am sitting here at the LP, still waitng dinner after 20 min. The two pound Lobster cost 72 dollars. I am getting the broiled haddock for 17.00. Posted here from my Droid.
Oops, five people just walked out, the prices? I just got my haddock.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:48 PM   #18
RailroadJoe

Ladyof the Lake I have a bridge for sale in Brooklyn. Interested?
The Following User Says Thank You to RailroadJoe For This Useful Post:
Irish mist (08-11-2013)
Old 08-10-2013, 11:03 PM   #19
bobby lobsta

Default An Honest Reply

Hello Folks, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Bob but I am better known as Bobby Lobster. I have worked for the Lobster Pound since it went under new ownership, Two years in the kitchen and 4 years as General Manager. I have been in the restaurant business for approximately 35 years. I only make mention of my experience so that others reading this understand the extensiveness of my restaurant knowledge. I enjoy reading the forum, but Ive only posted a few times over the years. I have red the good and the bad posts about the Lobster Pound but have declined to jump into the debate until the most recent post by LadyoftheLake. I believe that a forum such as this can be a great source for information but can also be a harmful tool when misused. When people decide to be dishonest it can hurt a business, the innocent people that work for that business, and ultimately their families and or anyone that depends on the income that that business provides. We have a very loyal and hardworking staff that pleases many customers day in and day out. We do make mistakes like any business, we try to make as few mistakes as possible, and when we do error we do anything in our ability to correct the situation in order to make a happy customer. Specifically with the situation of LadyoftheLakes, coincidentally at approximately 5:15pm or so I had taken a break so I went into the managers office and logged on to the forum because recently there had been some activity about the Lobster Pound. Upon reading LadyoftheLakes post, I immediately went to the dining room to find LadyoftheLake and explain that there is no such lobster on our menu for $72.00. At that time, there was only one customer in the restaurant eating broiled haddock that also had a samsung droid placed on the table. I identified myself and asked if they had posted on the Winnipesaukee Forum so I could clear up any confusion regarding price of any entree in the restaurant. Unfortunately, they claimed they are not the poster and do not know what the forum is. LadyoftheLake, you were the only person in the restaurant eating broiled haddock, it was the only broiled haddock we had served up until that time and you had a samsung droid on the table, therefore I know I was speaking to you. I brought the daily special printed sheet over to the table and pointed out that we are running a 1 pound certified angus prime rib king cut of beef along with a 2 pound hardshell Maine steamed lobster which also includes a salad, vegetable of the day, and your choice of your starch. Actually a pretty good deal considering the quantity and the quality of the food. I stated to LadyoftheLake if you are going to post on a public forum please make it accurate and honest, you also posted LadyoftheLake that 5 people walked out of the restaurant possibly because of price. My kitchen just closed at 11pm, we served over 500 dinners today, and not one single party walked out for any reason. I will post pictures of the daily special pointing out the options for the prime rib which also include a lobster at $17.00. For LadyoftheLake who feels as though the Lobster Pound is "pricey" you will notice that on todays specials there is a $16.00 Lasagna dinner special. I think we can all agree that a $16.00 dinner is very reasonable. Yes, we have some expensive items on our menu, but seafood is expensive. The mindset of the Lobster Pound management is to have something on the menu for every budget. For example, two people could dine on a great pizza, have a couple of beers for about $20.00. Not bad for a night out. I might have been longwinded, but we are very passionate about what we do here at the Lobster Pound. I honestly dont want to get into a debate, but I felt as though I had to speak about what is true and accurate. LadyoftheLake, why would you decline that you are the poster, why would you act as if you had no knowledge of what the forum is, and state that you would never post a negative comment when I as a standup manager directly asked you? Especially if you were telling the truth about the post, the pricing of the lobster, and the customer walkout. To lie to me and to lie in a post, harms the validity of the entire restaurant review portion of the forum. You are doing a great disservice to the forum itself and to anyone who reads the forum for advice. Thank you for your time reading this post, please if anyone from the forum would like to come into this restaurant, ask for me and I will do my best to make sure our team makes sure you leave happy and satisfied.
bobby lobsta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bobby lobsta For This Useful Post:
hazelnut (08-14-2013), Lakesrider (08-13-2013), SPT13 (08-11-2013), upthesaukee (08-11-2013)
Old 08-10-2013, 11:11 PM   #20
bobby lobsta

Default A Little Help Needed...

Sorry, but as I stated I am new to posting. In my previous post I had stated that I would include pictures of the specials. I want to keep my word but could somebody help me and explain how to post pictures on the forum.

Thanks!
Bobby Lobster
Old 08-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #21
bobio

It amazes me what people complain about. These guys work hard to give everyone a good meal and experience. Just look at all the work that they have put into the property over the last few years. I'm not tooting anyone's horn here but the environment is great there. I was there with my wife on Friday and the food was great. We both had the stuffed haddock and it was superb! We also enjoyed the one man band playing a great variety or music. Keep it up guys, this guy likes what your doing!
bobio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:45 AM   #22
LadyoftheLake

Default Reply to Bobby Lobsta

I would like to first state that I have been coming to Lake Winnipesaukee for the past 14 years and my parents were here for 20 years. This Forum has so many nice people who are always polite to others posters. We are happy boaters and Love the Lake. I come to the forum for information and news of events. I have never come here to post a personal attack on a person on an event that has occurred. But, sadly, today I must respond to the Manager of the Lobster Pound. He has publicly demanded an answer, and he will get one on this forum.

On Saturday Aug 10 at 4:45 pm, we stopped at the Lobster Pound for dinner. The waitress seated us at a table to the room to the left, she gave us a menu and lit the candle, nice. My husband said, look at the special, the Lobster is 72.00. What ? I said. I looked and the price was 72.00, but there was more with the entree, but I did not memorize it. We don't eat lobster, so not a problem us. I decided to have my favorite which is haddock for 17.00. So, while waiting for dinner, I took my LG Droid from my handbag out to see if anyone had done a review on the LP. My husband had the Samsung Droid on the table. Winnipesaukee is my homepage, mainly for the best weather info for the lake. Oh, look, I said to my husband, they are posting that it is pricey. I posted the price for the Lobster special for 72.00. That was the price on the menu, I DID NOT MAKE IT UP !! I doubt that you will see that price printed again, because that would prove that I was not lying. Why is posting a price, being called a negative comment ? Look at all my posts, I have not posted one review on any restaurant. I told him that I don't post negative reviews and that is the truth. Next, there was a family with kids seated at a round table behind us. They were given a menu, less than five minutes go by and they all get up and leave. THAT IS ALSO THE TRUTH !! The LP manager was not in the room, but surely the waitress told him. This was no one fault, they chose to leave. I seen seen this happen before at others restaurants. People politely and quietly leave. Would this LP manager prefer that that sit there and argue over the menu ?

Now, let me get to as to why I did not tell him that I made that post. He has not figured this out, so I have to post it. I made the first post at 5:07pm and added that the people left at 5:11 pm and at 5:15 pm, he comes to the table and asks me if I made that post. He was extremely angry, so angry that his hands were shaking. He was one breath away from "LOSING IT" It took me 3 seconds to figure out that if I said yes, then, we were going to get into a very loud confrontation and someone would need to call the Laconia Police. I said no, it was not me. He walked away. minutes later, round two, he comes back. He says, I was the only person who ordered the haddock at this time. I can clearly see he is still not going to give up. I said to him, would you like me to call the Laconia Police? He walks away, again. I said to my husband, if he comes back for the third time, I will tell him that I made that post. He had no consideration for any of his other patrons in this room. He would rather prove to himself that he was right, rather than allow his guest to have a quiet dinner. He is angry at me because I did not allow him to "vent his anger" at me for all the negative posts made about the Lobster Pound. But, wait, I posted the price I saw on the menu and I saw a family leave, that is all. I did not say, anything negative about the restaurant, the food, or the service. They were all fine. All, accept, the shocking behavior of Bobby Lobsta, the Lobster Pound manager. Two days later, and I still cannot believe what happened. I must admit, posting that I was there, wasn't too smart of me. But, wait, I posted at 5:07 pm and he was at my table at 5:15 pm, so I am to believe that he has such great timing that he saw my post 8 min during a break at 5:15 pm on Saturday ? No, he probably has a notification sent to his e-mail when someone posts to this tread.
I can understand his anger about negative reviews, but I never made them, you can see the only two comments that I made here.

You can take him up on his offer to dine at his restaurant, I am very sure he will be very nice to you. You never know, I may show up too. We will provide the entertainment.
GsChinadoll (08-13-2013), Irrigation Guy (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 02:54 AM   #23
LadyoftheLake

Default More Restaurant Reviews

Here is a complete list of Laconia restaurants at "Urbanspoon". There are 112 listed for Laconia. Not one of these reviews are mine. I have not posted any restaurant reviews.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/n/233/2680...aurants?page=3

This link is page 3, the Lobster Pound is #112 and they state $$$ and show 41%

You can go to previous pages from the bottom.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is another link to reviews at the Yelp site. Again, no reviews made by me. I still believe that every restaurant deserves a first time dining. Everyone has their own opinions and they should be allowed to post without being criticized for their contribution.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/weirs-beach-...-pound-laconia

Last edited by LadyoftheLake; 08-13-2013 at 03:06 AM. Reason: added another link
LadyoftheLake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:39 AM   #24
RailroadJoe

Ladyof the lake Sorry for the reply on the bridge. I thought you had ordered the lobster at $72.00. At $4.00 a pound now I think 72 is a little (??) extreme. Even the haddock is a littler over priced. You do a good post and thanks for the way you post. My congratulations to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to RailroadJoe For This Useful Post:
LadyoftheLake (08-13-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 06:16 AM   #25
jrc

This whole issue about the manager coming to the table to discuss a web posting is a little weird. How did he expect that conversation to end?
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2013, 06:56 AM   #26
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

With another reply on the forum?......
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:51 PM   #27
Billy Bob

Default Confronting customers

This manager is way out of line confronting customers. This is nuts
Billy Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Billy Bob For This Useful Post:
Convertible Girl (08-13-2013), GsChinadoll (08-13-2013), LadyoftheLake (08-13-2013), ronc4424 (08-13-2013), Winnigirl (08-15-2013)
Old 08-13-2013, 01:38 PM   #28
granitebox

Haven't we been here before?

I am trying to think about the scenario - the posting says $72 for a 2 pound lobster - I have a hard time accepting anything said after this as truthful.
granitebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 02:44 PM   #29
tom-sr230

Default lobster price

to solve the problem of the price of a two pound lobster dinner at the L.P.,, is it possible to quote the market price of what the dinner costs today which is Tuesday the 13th of august???. I picked up a steamed lobster at shaws in Gilford for 4.99 a pound.... 72.00 bucks for a lobster dinner seems pretty steep..is it out of line to ask bobby lobsta to post the actual price of what a dinner costs tonight? I won't be back to the lake until Saturday but if the price seems ok we will eat at the L.P. instead of the usual Christmas island steakhouse...heck it might be worth going just to watch the people jump off that staging into the giant airbag!!! just my 2 cents..
tom-sr230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:46 PM   #30
bobby lobsta

Default Pictures

Here is a picture of the items you were talking about as you can see its 72 dollars but it comes with a 1lb certified angus beef prime rib and 2 sides along with the 2 lb steamed lobster. It is a "Surf and Turf" special. Sorry about the picture i had a better one but the file is too big to upload. but as you can see it comes with a lot more than just a 2 pound lobster. I hope this can help with any confusion this has caused.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to bobby lobsta For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #31
LadyoftheLake

Default Reply

Railroad Joe,

Thank You for your post. This entire event was truly unnecessary, starting with my post and stating that I was there, that was not smart and tacky. I only wish that he had not demanded an answer on a public forum and go into details about the event at the dinner table. In hindsight, it would have been better to post about how tacky it was to post a price while while I was sitting there, and for that I apologize. No need to post my name of Ladyofthelake 8 times and call me a liar. He was still that angry 7 hours later, so when I said that he confronted me at the dinner table in the middle of the meal, and was highly agitated, that is exactly what happened, and nothing good can come out of a loud heated argument. I just paid the bill, gave the waitress a 20% tip, she do a good job and deserved her tip.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jrc and Billy Bob,

I know, I still cannot understand why. I don't know if anyone else heard him. I think the better solution, would have been to ask me to speak to me away from other diners, and say to delete my post because, it was in poor taste, and I would have smiled and said sure. That embarrassing moment is gone. We all have those moments.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

granitebox,

I understand and respect your opinion and there is no need change it. We still have freedom of speech. You have to learn from your mistakes and move on. I don't mean to sound like a phony sweet person, because my temper can be just as bad as his, when I am pushed to my limit. It was a good thing for everyone, that my husband and I had a very long stressful day and spend three hours in traffic, trying to get to the lake. Normally, neither one of us would sit there and have anyone speak in that way to us.

Interestingly, these nutty posts may bring in more business. You can post your honest comments on your dinners. I respect everyone posts. Go to the Lobster Pound and have a nice dinner, while watching the jumpers into the airbag.
Old 08-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #32
Espo

Default Another Crazy LP Thread

I love it, another crazy LP discussion. Lady of the Lakes, I agree you can post whatever you want but I do think accuracy is important. Reporting false prices can hurt any business not just a restaurant. I am a little bias because I live in the Weirs and love the LP. I go there year round, it's my hangout. It is a bit expensive but the quality is really good. I.M.O.
I think Bob had every right to question you, he is protecting his business. Still not sure why you didn't just admit it was you, that puzzles me. Anyway, I love a great LP controversy and I love the LP. Keep up the good work Bob and staff!
By the way, 2 pound lobster at LP is $40 dollars. Had one last week and it was steamed perfectly. I was told by Rich, one of the owners, that they pay $7.50-$8.00 a pound for Maine hard shell lobsters. He was talking about hard shell vs. soft shell and I zoned out, it is too much info for me after a few beers. I just eat the critters!
Espo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #33
NH_boater

Another reason (not that i need one) to avoid the Lobster Pound......
NH_boater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #34
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo View Post
I was told by Rich, one of the owners, that they pay $7.50-$8.00 a pound for Maine hard shell lobsters. He was talking about hard shell vs. soft shell and I zoned out, it is too much info for me after a few beers. I just eat the critters!
Lobsters are at a 20 year low and selling for $3.99 lb, steamed at your local super markets. With another season of exploding lobster population and warmer water the prices could drop to $2.99 soon!!!!!

Yesterday, 3 of us split 10 (steamed by Market Basket as we shopped) semi-hard shell lobsters, a dozen ears of corn, butter, and a 12 pack of Corona for about $60. TOTAL and NO mess. Tamale lobster rolls for me today after I clean the legs and bodies!!!
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:22 AM   #35
jetskier

Post Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
Lobsters are at a 20 year low and selling for $3.99 lb, steamed at your local super markets. With another season of exploding lobster population and warmer water the prices could drop to $2.99 soon!!!!!

Yesterday, 3 of us split 10 (steamed by Market Basket as we shopped) semi-hard shell lobsters, a dozen ears of corn, butter, and a 12 pack of Corona for about $60. TOTAL and NO mess. Tamale lobster rolls for me today after I clean the legs and bodies!!!
We picked up 6 lobsters at Market Basket last week (cooked) for a total of $32. The whole grocery bill was about $50 and that fed a group of 4. At the moment it just does not make financial sense to order lobster in a restaurant. The quoted cost for lobster meat (from suppliers) is in the $20 - $30 lb range (prior to the restaurant markup). Whole lobsters appear to be marked up disproportionate to the wholesale market.

I you really want a lobster night out, the Weathervane is the most reasonable that we have found as they have a special for about $17 for a lobster and two sides.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:28 AM   #36
Irish mist

2 facts of life: 1. nothing good happens after midnight. 2. nothing good happens in a Lobster Pound thread on the Winnipesaukee Forum.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Irish mist For This Useful Post:
ITD (08-14-2013)
Old 08-14-2013, 12:34 PM   #37
Happy Gourmand

I have no dog in this hunt, but there is a big difference in price between hard shell and soft shell lobsters. SOMETIMES you can get the hard shell lobsters in the supermarket, but not at any price close to what the new shell (soft) are selling for.
I feel that the price difference is justified as the hard shell lobsters are packed tight with meat. How many times have you cracked a nice looking claw on a soft shelled lobster and gotten a "finger" of meat at best?
I'm not defending anybody, or calling anybody any names. I'm just trying to bring some facts to the table.
If a restaurant pays $8 per pound for a 2 pound lobster. that's $16. A restaurant generally will price a meal at 3 times the cost of the main item, that would be $48 in this case. There are a lot of costs associated with putting out that 2 pound lobster...staff...rent...utilities...licenses...et c...etc.
Somebody mentioned that the price of a 2 pound lobster at the LP is $40. Assuming it is for a hard shelled version, that seems pretty reasonable, doesn't it?
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #38
Espo

Wink Lobsta price

I was told by Bob last night (like I said previously I do hang out at LP) that they actually lose money on lobsters and would rather not even sell them! That's why they lean more towards Italian food because the price of seafood is so expensive. I know they don't do the soft shell lobsters but maybe they should and run them as a special? I don't get lobster at the supermarket because usually they microwave them and they are really rubbery. I think like most things in life, you get what you pay for. Great now I'm hungry again!
Espo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:26 PM   #39
bobby lobsta

Hi folks, I wanted to follow up on a question a previous poster had. This weekend a 2 pound lobster dinner market price will be $54. We purchase only Maine hard shell lobster, which are more expensive then soft shell. Prices have gone up this week and i attached a picture of our invoice to show that we paid $9.00 per pound today. Another previous poster commented that it is common practice in restaurants to mark up the cost of their goods 3 times, which is true and how we come to the market price of a 2 pound lobster for $54.00. Thanks and hope to see some forum members in over the weekend.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to bobby lobsta For This Useful Post:
granitebox (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 06:34 AM   #40
SIKSUKR

Strange getting your Maine lobsters from Mass.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #41
Woodsy

Default Wow!

It's amazing to me how a thread can degenerate sooo fast.... I get that Lady had a bad experience.... It doesn't matter what restaurant you go to, they cannot please everyone. I agree with Bobby Lobster that in this day & age with internet everywhere, a bad review can seriously damage a business, regardless of what business you are in.

I go to the Lob Pound on a very regular basis! I do love it there! I don't eat fish (I have a rule.... I don't eat fish, fish don't eat me!) But I do enjoy their Pizza a lot as well as their Italian specials! I have seen the good and the not so good....

BUT in every instance, The Lob Pound staff, be it the waitress, Bobby Lobster or the owners have tried to make it right. I love the place and I think they are a GREAT addition to the Weirs!

Woodsy
hazelnut (08-20-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 09:02 AM   #42
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
Strange getting your Maine lobsters from Mass.
"Maine Lobster" describes the home-waters of the crustacean, not the fisherman.

And, it's mostly a marketing gimmick anyway.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:18 AM   #43
BroadHopper

Default Maine Hard shell

Seems like Maine lobsters bought in Mass is pretty steep! Or maybe it is the time of year you buy the critters.

Third week in July, right off the boat in Kennebunk harbor, I was able to purchase 8 hard shell chix lobsters at $2.99 a lbs.

They were excellent, filled with meat! I cook it myself as most people like their lobster meat very firm, almost rubbery.

Last edited by BroadHopper; 08-15-2013 at 07:06 PM. Reason: spelling
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:27 AM   #44
granitebox

He showed his invoice, what else is there to do? We're talking about his source of supply now?
granitebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 10:11 AM   #45
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by granitebox View Post
He showed his invoice, what else is there to do? We're talking about his source of supply now?
Well, you're assuming that invoice is real. Has it been sent out for handwriting analysis? Has anyone looked at the image file to see if it's been photoshopped? I'm guessing we could fill another 5 pages here just discussing various sub-merits of the invoice. In particular I find it very suspicious that the invoice pic was not taken "right side up". Rotating an invoice image like that is a common practice among people trying to be deceptive.

Also, has anyone verified the counts, assuming the invoice is legit? He *says* he bought that many lobsters, but all we have to go on is this piece of paper.

This whole invoice thing is very shady to me. It lists the customer as "Weirs Beach", that could be anyone. Can a Beach even *buy* products?

Also, can anyone verify the rumor that the Lobster Pound is going to start disallowing children in the main dining room?
Newbiesaukee (08-15-2013)
Old 08-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #46
Heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
Well, you're assuming that invoice is real. Has it been sent out for handwriting analysis? Has anyone looked at the image file to see if it's been photoshopped? I'm guessing we could fill another 5 pages here just discussing various sub-merits of the invoice. In particular I find it very suspicious that the invoice pic was not taken "right side up". Rotating an invoice image like that is a common practice among people trying to be deceptive.

Also, has anyone verified the counts, assuming the invoice is legit? He *says* he bought that many lobsters, but all we have to go on is this piece of paper.

This whole invoice thing is very shady to me. It lists the customer as "Weirs Beach", that could be anyone. Can a Beach even *buy* products?

Also, can anyone verify the rumor that the Lobster Pound is going to start disallowing children in the main dining room?
Lol! Great post. . .
Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 02:41 PM   #47
RailroadJoe

Man, you people are murder.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #48
tom-sr230

Default prices seem on par

the prices seem to be on par with other restaurants in the area except of course the 4.00 Wendy's meal. if I can get a good meal with a couple of drinks and a night out for my family of three for 100.00 plus tip I would call it a win...I just would not order the lobster if it was out of my price range...not that it is ..I just don't order lobster at a restaurant because I eat it like a raccoon eats the trash and would need a shower afterwards!!!!!!
Old 08-15-2013, 03:45 PM   #49
RailroadJoe

I forgot to mention, but the $4.00 meal at Wendys was for both the wife and myself. Kudos to FLL.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:45 PM   #50
phoenix

in the end a restaurant charges what it wants and consumers decide whether to go there or not not seems pretty simple to me
Old 08-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #51
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailroadJoe View Post
I forgot to mention, but the $4.00 meal at Wendys was for both the wife and myself. Kudos to FLL.
How healthy was that cheap meal, hmm?
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 05:47 AM   #52
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RailroadJoe View Post
Lets see the itemized invoice from your heart specialist.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dpg For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (08-16-2013)
Old 08-16-2013, 06:12 AM   #53
RailroadJoe

Default dpg

I do not save receipts, but the next visit, I will save it. Here is the breakdown: my wife has the small chilli ($1.69 I think) no chesse just crackers; I have the $.99 chicken sandwich and value fries; I get one senior drink (we could get two but one is plenty) they are free. Altogether it I now eat to live, not live to eat.is under $4.00 but the tax (love it) comes to an even $4.00.
The last time I had a $50.00 meal was about 25 years ago at a place in Maine on the ocean. Not sure of the name.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:17 AM   #54
BroadHopper

Default Fried food.

You had fries from Mcdonald? WOW! Prepare to meet the maker! All the fast food chains uses hydrogenated oils for frying. I'd rather eat a $20 boiled lobster than the new 'coffin nails', McDonalds fries.

You better have a direct line to CMC.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:18 AM   #55
WakeboardMom

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
in the end a restaurant charges what it wants and consumers decide whether to go there or not not seems pretty simple to me
Yup. Pretty basic formula.

Quick reply to the person who said supermarkets do a bad job of cooking lobsters. Market Basket has a special steamer and they've been perfect each of the 5 or 6 times I've had them this summer. Certainly worth a try!
Old 08-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #56
Wolfeboro_Baja

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
You had fries from Mcdonald? WOW! Prepare to meet the maker! All the fast food chains uses hydrogenated oils for frying. I'd rather eat a $20 boiled lobster than the new 'coffin nails', McDonalds fries.

You better have a direct line to CMC.
I was going to say you're wrong and post a link to some article or another as backup but damn, you're right! It seems they all claim to be using non-hydrogenated oil (0% trans fat) but it's not quite the truth. Here's a link: http://nickpineault.com/mcdonalds-fries/.

Dagnabbit, I love fries!! Not McD's though, I prefer Wendy's!!
Old 08-16-2013, 12:11 PM   #57
BroadHopper

Default Despite NcDonald's claims.

I just happen to drive by the dumpster at a McDonald and stop to read the side of the box that actually says 'hydrogenated vegetable oil'. I knew the fast food chains will say otherwise.

I always use cold pressed olive oil for all low temperature cooking and preparations. I use safflower or grapeseed oil for frying and searing.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #58
tom-sr230

Default high fry point

one benefit of grapeseed oil is the high smoke point it has .
Old 08-18-2013, 12:11 AM   #59
Perfect Harmony

Post Once was enough

My family and I decided to try the LP a couple of weeks ago, after hearing and reading so much about it. I got the fishermans platter. Four hours later I was doubled over sick. Don't know if it was the clams or scallops or the fish. It really doesn't matter, I will never go there again and i tell everyone willing to listen to my story about what happened. Plus the service was horribly slow as well. There are much better places to eat.
Perfect Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 05:25 AM   #60
wifi

And the beat goes on ....
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 06:56 AM   #61
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect Harmony View Post
My family and I decided to try the LP a couple of weeks ago, after hearing and reading so much about it. I got the fishermans platter. Four hours later I was doubled over sick. Don't know if it was the clams or scallops or the fish. It really doesn't matter, I will never go there again and i tell everyone willing to listen to my story about what happened. Plus the service was horribly slow as well. There are much better places to eat.
Perhaps Samiam can chime in, but I thought the incubation period is a lot longer than 4 hours for most food borne illnesses. The LP takes some lumps but let's be fair.

PH could it have been something else that upset your stomach?
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:11 AM   #62
SIKSUKR

Symptoms from the most common types of food poisoning usually start within 2 - 6 hours of eating the food. That time may be longer or shorter, depending on the cause of the food poisoning.
Old 08-19-2013, 01:34 PM   #63
Newbiesaukee

Staphylococcal food poisoning is caused by a toxin ( or poison) produced by the bacteria growing in poorly maintained food such as potato salad sitting in the sun for hours. Because the symptoms are caused by the toxin and not by an infection, the symptoms may occur as soon as 30 minutes after ingestion.

Most other forms of food poisoning are caused by an infection, viral or bacterial, and take much longer to produce "illness."

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 08:24 AM   #64
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Newbiesaukee is right about staphyloccus.........that is the only foodborne illness that strikes fairly rapidly but it rarely shows up in seafood....it is mostly found in dairy based products. Salmonella and listeriosis are more common and don't show up for several days in some cases.
It's human nature to blame your last meal when you get an intestinal illness, but in many cases, it could have been days or even weeks.
You are more likely to have a problem at home than in a restaurant so it's always good to use a little bleach on your cutting board...especially with chicken.
I'll bet many of you bring chicken or burgers to your grill on a pan and then use that same pan for the cooked product .......very risky to mix raw and cooked foods so you should always change pans or wash between prep and serving.
Happy summer everyone....there's still some left.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (08-20-2013), Pine Island Guy (08-20-2013), VitaBene (08-21-2013)