Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2020, 08:02 PM   #1
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,667
Thanks: 738
Thanked 720 Times in 485 Posts
Default Top 25 Small Towns with Big Millionaire Populations

Interesting article 3 of the towns in New Hampshire including Laconia coming in at #24

https://www.kiplinger.com/investing/...re-populations


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:19 PM   #2
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,744
Thanks: 961
Thanked 1,139 Times in 691 Posts
Default

WSJ report of millionaires as percent of residents.

Name:  Screenshot_20200909-201839_Chrome.jpg
Views: 1976
Size:  28.8 KB

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 08:49 PM   #3
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,744
Thanks: 961
Thanked 1,139 Times in 691 Posts
Default

I wanna know how many of the forum's members are millionaires.

(If you're reading this and are, I'm offering to be your beneficiary. Just throwing it out there!)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (09-10-2020), BroadHopper (09-10-2020), dykg (09-12-2020), VitaBene (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 09:25 PM   #4
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,667
Thanks: 738
Thanked 720 Times in 485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I wanna know how many of the forum's members are millionaires.

(If you're reading this and are, I'm offering to be your beneficiary. Just throwing it out there!)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app



Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 09:29 PM   #5
VitaBene
Senior Member
 
VitaBene's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 3,307
Thanks: 1,408
Thanked 1,486 Times in 754 Posts
Default

Doesn't take much to be a millionaire these days! Paid off house in NY or Ma and a 401k
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Reilly (09-10-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-2020, 09:51 PM   #6
hd333
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 106
Thanks: 15
Thanked 34 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I wanna know how many of the forum's members are millionaires.

(If you're reading this and are, I'm offering to be your beneficiary. Just throwing it out there!)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Define millionaire?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
hd333 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to hd333 For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (09-10-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 10:11 PM   #7
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,744
Thanks: 961
Thanked 1,139 Times in 691 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd333 View Post
Define millionaire?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In my head, a millionaire is someone who has $1m in fluid assets that can be accessed readily enough that I'd be ok with being their beneficiary!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (09-10-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 10:31 PM   #8
8gv
Senior Member
 
8gv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,454
Thanks: 41
Thanked 486 Times in 311 Posts
Default

I can confidently say that I am closer to having one billion dollars than Bill Gates is.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:48 PM   #9
dickiej
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: White Salmon, WA
Posts: 177
Thanks: 8
Thanked 103 Times in 52 Posts
Default

I'm like the Red Sox...I look good on paper.
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dickiej For This Useful Post:
mhtranger (09-10-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 11:20 PM   #10
TheTimeTraveler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 350
Thanks: 86
Thanked 120 Times in 58 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Interesting article 3 of the towns in New Hampshire including Laconia coming in at #24

https://www.kiplinger.com/investing/...re-populations


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Surprising (at least to me) that Concord, NH was on this list......
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheTimeTraveler For This Useful Post:
arttwood (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 05:02 AM   #11
ApS
Senior Member
 
ApS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Winnipesaukee & Florida
Posts: 4,976
Thanks: 1,373
Thanked 578 Times in 406 Posts
Default For The Schools...

My CPA has a house overlooking the Hudson River, and one on a pond at Martha's Vineyard.

But he also has an apartment in New York City, so maybe he's broke by now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Interesting article 3 of the towns in New Hampshire including Laconia coming in at #24

https://www.kiplinger.com/investing/...re-populations
Claremont, NH, is #23. I thought the "Claremont decision" was the reason other New Hampshire towns became impoverished!

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 06:44 AM   #12
garysanfran
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Francisco/Meredith
Posts: 1,006
Thanks: 339
Thanked 387 Times in 192 Posts
Default

I'd like to see a comparison of how many millionaires have been lost in each state due to the state targeting their wealth vs. how many states have gained these successful (if self-made, not inherited) people and have added to the quality of their population...I'm particularly interested in how California and New York, liberal bastions, have fared.
__________________
Gary
~~~~_/) ~~~
~~~~~~~~
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:02 AM   #13
webmaster
Moderator
 
webmaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,293
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 389
Thanked 3,235 Times in 733 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
I'm particularly interested in how California and New York, liberal bastions, have fared.
Please keep this focused on NH and the Lakes Region. Leave out the politics.
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:08 AM   #14
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,667
Thanks: 738
Thanked 720 Times in 485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
I'd like to see a comparison of how many millionaires have been lost in each state due to the state targeting their wealth vs. how many states have gained these successful (if self-made, not inherited) people and have added to the quality of their population...I'm particularly interested in how California and New York, liberal bastions, have fared.
As we have seen in the current real estate market many are leaving those states and coming here. I have 2 friends from NY and one from Connecticut looking for homes in the lakes region. The migration to the area will increase Laconia on the list.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:25 AM   #15
BroadHopper
Senior Member
 
BroadHopper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Laconia NH
Posts: 5,007
Thanks: 2,581
Thanked 933 Times in 653 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Doesn't take much to be a millionaire these days! Paid off house in NY or Ma and a 401k
Should add CA. A bungalow in LA or SF suburb is worth millions!
__________________
Someday may never be an actual day.
BroadHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:15 AM   #16
MotorHead
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 72
Thanks: 13
Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts
Default

How do they know how much you have in the bank and in your investment, retirement accounts. That is scary.
MotorHead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MotorHead For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 08:22 AM   #17
tis
Senior Member
 
tis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 5,116
Thanks: 544
Thanked 986 Times in 690 Posts
Default

Quote:
Claremont, NH, is #23. I thought the "Claremont decision" was the reason other New Hampshire towns became impoverished!

I also am confused by this. They are so poor we (property rich towns )have to donate to them!??
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:41 AM   #18
XCR-700
Senior Member
 
XCR-700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Andover, MA
Posts: 673
Thanks: 346
Thanked 225 Times in 126 Posts
Unhappy

Clearly my wife and I are doing something wrong, we still live pay check to pay check and I feel like we are loosing ground every year.

Should have been a plumber,,,
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 08:47 AM   #19
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,646
Thanks: 1,173
Thanked 726 Times in 453 Posts
Default

A net worth of 1 million dollars isn't what it use to be!
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:09 AM   #20
mswlogo
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 119
Thanks: 59
Thanked 36 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
A net worth of 1 million dollars isn't what it use to be!
That’s exactly it. And with 4 trillion new dollars printed recently there will be a lot more millionaires created.

Don’t keep your money in cash what ever you do.

They should measure things in 1000-gold-bar-n-aires rather than million-dollar-aires.

It’s all purchasing power, not absolute dollars.
mswlogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 09:36 AM   #21
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,646
Thanks: 1,173
Thanked 726 Times in 453 Posts
Default

Back in 1972 when I started working full time they told you if you put $2000, max at that time, in an IRA every year that you would have 1 million when you retire. But they didn't tell you that that 50 years later you would need 5 million to retire.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
mswlogo (09-11-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 10:15 AM   #22
dickiej
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: White Salmon, WA
Posts: 177
Thanks: 8
Thanked 103 Times in 52 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
My CPA has a house overlooking the Hudson River, and one on a pond at Martha's Vineyard.

But he also has an apartment in New York City, so maybe he's broke by now!

Claremont, NH, is #23. I thought the "Claremont decision" was the reason other New Hampshire towns became impoverished!

....or overcharging you!
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 10:21 AM   #23
mneck1814
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Hartford, VT/Moultonborough
Posts: 92
Thanks: 23
Thanked 50 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
Claremont, NH, is #23. I thought the "Claremont decision" was the reason other New Hampshire towns became impoverished!

I also am confused by this. They are so poor we (property rich towns )have to donate to them!??[/QUOTE]

The article is pretty misleading. The Claremont entry is for the Lebanon-Claremont, NH-VT Micropolitan Statistical Area which includes many Upper Valley towns on both sides of the Connecticut River. Including affluent towns like Hanover, Lebanon, Plainfield and Lyme, on the NH side and Thetford, Pomfret, Norwich, Hartford(Quechee) on the VT side. Claremont itself is only a small portion of the area.
mneck1814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mneck1814 For This Useful Post:
Sandy Island fan (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 10:58 AM   #24
Bigstan
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Waltham MA / Gilford NH
Posts: 345
Thanks: 9
Thanked 152 Times in 81 Posts
Default Who believes these things ?

I dont trust these reports, I would love to know where the source data comes from.

Though Wiki isn't the most accurate thing to quote from it says there were 6700 and change households in Laconia in 2000. This article says there are now 24000 households ? The total population can't even be that high.

Granting it's not hard to be a millionaire on paper and it doesn't really mean anything anymore regardless there is zero way there are 1800+ 7 figure net worth households in Laconia. Not even counting all the out-of-state homeowners in all the high end communities.

This isn't even close to being accurate.
Bigstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:18 AM   #25
jazzman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Mont Vernon NH & Big Barndoor Island
Posts: 299
Thanks: 4
Thanked 180 Times in 58 Posts
Default

I think this is just a click bait article. I don't believe my bank or brokerage tell even the government what my balances are. I assume once you turn 70 1/2 there is some disclosure of IRA balances to enforce RMDs.

If you're a couple looking at retirement you'd better have 1M if you're going to live in NH (or a pension with an implied cash value of 1M)
jazzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 11:45 AM   #26
MeredithMan
Senior Member
 
MeredithMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bedford, NH; Meredith, NH
Posts: 518
Thanks: 156
Thanked 503 Times in 180 Posts
Default it is unreliable data...

...a probable source of the data is from people themselves. How many times have you "registered" a product that you've bought and the "warranty questionnaire" asks a bunch of demographic questions, which always includes, "household income"? I'm sure many people put down BS answers. The companies then use that data for "marketing purposes".
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:21 PM   #27
garysanfran
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Francisco/Meredith
Posts: 1,006
Thanks: 339
Thanked 387 Times in 192 Posts
Default Hmmmm....

Cash-out my place in San Francisco, I could move to the Lakes Region and "LIVE" like a millionaire!

In SF, $1m won't get you a safe neighborhood nor a garage, nor a second bath, nor a third bdrm...And yes...that plot of grass is called a yard...Good news? You won't need a ride-on lawn mower!

Hard to live like a millionaire in Calicornucopia on a $1MM or 2 or 3.
__________________
Gary
~~~~_/) ~~~
~~~~~~~~
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 12:25 PM   #28
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,646
Thanks: 1,173
Thanked 726 Times in 453 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
Cash-out my place in San Francisco, I could move to the Lakes Region and "LIVE" like a millionaire!

In SF, $1m won't get you a safe neighborhood nor a garage, nor a second bath, nor a third bdrm...And yes...that plot of grass is called a yard...Good news? You won't need a ride-on lawn mower!

Hard to live like a millionaire in Calicornucopia on a $1MM or 2 or 3.
And from what I'm seeing on the news, it's hard to breath. I understand people like the weather but I would rather deal with snow than wildfires.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 01:18 PM   #29
garysanfran
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: San Francisco/Meredith
Posts: 1,006
Thanks: 339
Thanked 387 Times in 192 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
And from what I'm seeing on the news, it's hard to breath. I understand people like the weather but I would rather deal with snow than wildfires.
Or floods (although they put out the fires), earthquakes and terrorists who want to plant nuclear devices and separate the state from Nevada and make it an island.

Yup, I seriously contemplate moving back here. I just looked on zillow.com at what $1,200,000 can buy in SF vs. Lakes Region...Worse than I thought. I could not find one single family house for $1.2 mm in SF that I would live in if it was given to me for free. All bad neighborhoods and around 1,100 sq'.

On Lake Winni, you can get a very nice place for $1mm. Off the lake you get a mansion.
__________________
Gary
~~~~_/) ~~~
~~~~~~~~
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
TheRoBoat (09-10-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 02:03 PM   #30
MAXUM
Senior Member
 
MAXUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hooksett, NH & Bear Island, NH
Posts: 2,483
Thanks: 235
Thanked 1,702 Times in 698 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
Or floods (although they put out the fires), earthquakes and terrorists who want to plant nuclear devices and separate the state from Nevada and make it an island.

Yup, I seriously contemplate moving back here. I just looked on zillow.com at what $1,200,000 can buy in SF vs. Lakes Region...Worse than I thought. I could not find one single family house for $1.2 mm in SF that I would live in if it was given to me for free. All bad neighborhoods and around 1,100 sq'.

On Lake Winni, you can get a very nice place for $1mm. Off the lake you get a mansion.
Just the tax savings alone would be worth it. Add in all the other self inflicted problems from the state being perpetually mismanaged it's a wonder anyone wants to live there.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 02:14 PM   #31
TheRoBoat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: SF Bay Area, Bear Island
Posts: 91
Thanks: 235
Thanked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Default The last couple island properties

went for 700K and 1M. Prices will adjust accordingly up down the road.

And the real influx hasn't even begun

Last edited by TheRoBoat; 09-10-2020 at 05:47 PM. Reason: left out 'up'
TheRoBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:10 PM   #32
dickiej
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: White Salmon, WA
Posts: 177
Thanks: 8
Thanked 103 Times in 52 Posts
Default

What's the income tax in California now? 13%? Insane....
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 05:46 PM   #33
TheRoBoat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: SF Bay Area, Bear Island
Posts: 91
Thanks: 235
Thanked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiej View Post
What's the income tax in California now? 13%? Insane....
The top marginal is 13.3% ($1M and up)
TheRoBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 06:14 PM   #34
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,667
Thanks: 738
Thanked 720 Times in 485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoBoat View Post
The top marginal is 13.3% ($1M and up)
That is almost double New York State which is 6.875. If you “live in NYC” add an additional 3.876 still less than CA. Note if you just work in NYC and do not live within the 5 boroughs this rate does not apply. There is no longer a non residence tax for working in NYC and living outside the 5 boroughs.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:39 PM   #35
TheRoBoat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: SF Bay Area, Bear Island
Posts: 91
Thanks: 235
Thanked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
That is almost double New York State which is 6.875. If you “live in NYC” add an additional 3.876 still less than CA.
At about 58K it is the bargain rate of 9.3%. Stays there until just shy of 300K when it goes up to 10.3%
TheRoBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2020, 07:59 PM   #36
Slickcraft
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Welch Island and West Alton
Posts: 2,760
Thanks: 930
Thanked 1,567 Times in 732 Posts
Default

Well #4 on the list, Torrington Ct , is my hometown. I don't think so. MY sister in law is a realtor down there. Her response:
Quote:
That article is probably using the micropolitan area of Torrington, which includes much of Litchfield County. That population would explain the existence of many millionaires, not Torrington itself, which has a population of about 34000. The average price of a home in Torrington is probably around $150000 at this point in time. Maybe the whole article is using micropolitan data?
So what about Laconia? Some dolt added up all of the lakefront homes is the area towns to get their estimate?
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:31 PM   #37
ApS
Senior Member
 
ApS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Winnipesaukee & Florida
Posts: 4,976
Thanks: 1,373
Thanked 578 Times in 406 Posts
Wink Won't Be Long...

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Clearly my wife and I are doing something wrong, we still live pay check to pay check and I feel like we are loosing ground every year. Should have been a plumber,,,
You've got to know when and where to invest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I wanna know how many of the forum's members are millionaires. (If you're reading this and are, I'm offering to be your beneficiary. Just throwing it out there!)
Check your PM box, as it shouldn't take long.

By next Tuesday, I should have my last ton of toilet paper sold.

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 10:33 PM   #38
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,744
Thanks: 961
Thanked 1,139 Times in 691 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
You've got to know when and where to invest.


Check your PM box, as it shouldn't take long.

By next Tuesday, I should have my last ton of toilet paper sold.

The TP ship has sailed—the big money's in paper towels now!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:14 AM   #39
Susie Cougar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Parrish, Florida
Posts: 325
Thanks: 132
Thanked 118 Times in 87 Posts
Default

I wonder how many people panicked when the stock market was plunging. It was scary to hold on but now the stocks have gone back higher than they were before Covid even started. For anyone who is risk averse, I can imagine that some of them sold and now regret it.
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:17 AM   #40
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,646
Thanks: 1,173
Thanked 726 Times in 453 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
I wonder how many people panicked when the stock market was plunging. It was scary to hold on but now the stocks have gone back higher than they were before Covid even started. For anyone who is risk averse, I can imagine that some of them sold and now regret it.
It will happen again, it always does.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:45 AM   #41
Susie Cougar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Parrish, Florida
Posts: 325
Thanks: 132
Thanked 118 Times in 87 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
In my head, a millionaire is someone who has $1m in fluid assets that can be accessed readily enough that I'd be ok with being their beneficiary!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I’m not on Facebook, but I read a few months back that people were posting their 401(k) balances. They were proud that they were now millionaires. Obviously, for someone who is still working, his 401(k) is not a fluid asset. However, once you reach retirement age, it is.
Have any of you who are on Facebook seen this?
Susie Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 08:57 AM   #42
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,744
Thanks: 961
Thanked 1,139 Times in 691 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susie Cougar View Post
I’m not on Facebook, but I read a few months back that people were posting their 401(k) balances. They were proud that they were now millionaires. Obviously, for someone who is still working, his 401(k) is not a fluid asset. However, once you reach retirement age, it is.
Have any of you who are on Facebook seen this?
I'm on Facebook and, thank God, have never seen that—how tacky.

Unless any of you wonderful forum members looking for a beneficiary have done it, in which case it was AWESOME.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 09:32 AM   #43
MAXUM
Senior Member
 
MAXUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hooksett, NH & Bear Island, NH
Posts: 2,483
Thanks: 235
Thanked 1,702 Times in 698 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I'm on Facebook and, thank God, have never seen that—how tacky.

Unless any of you wonderful forum members looking for a beneficiary have done it, in which case it was AWESOME.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
For those that reach a milestone like that - great! Congratulations! To advertise it publicly is just asking for somebody to steal your identity

!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
dmgaspie (09-19-2020)
Old 09-12-2020, 09:43 AM   #44
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 684
Thanks: 107
Thanked 239 Times in 151 Posts
Default

Dad always said. What you make, what you have, and who you voted for is your business and no one else’s. Still go by that rule today


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
ApS (09-12-2020), Biggd (09-12-2020), joey2665 (09-12-2020), Paugus Bay Resident (09-13-2020), Top-Water (09-12-2020)
Old 09-13-2020, 06:42 AM   #45
JEEPONLY
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 553
Thanks: 265
Thanked 138 Times in 108 Posts
Default

I'm working on my second million...

The first million was too hard!
JEEPONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 07:06 AM   #46
ApS
Senior Member
 
ApS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Winnipesaukee & Florida
Posts: 4,976
Thanks: 1,373
Thanked 578 Times in 406 Posts
Red face Just $10, 000, 000-- Or Best Offer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
I'm working on my second million...

The first million was too hard!
To get on the lake, there's still a ways to go!

https://www.adamdow.com/listing/4823...boro-nh-03894/
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:19 AM   #47
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,999
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 224
Thanked 640 Times in 471 Posts
Default

It says in the other details that the annual property tax for 20 Wyman Drive, Wolfeboro is $108,770/year. As you know, starting with the federal income tax bill that was due on April 15, 2019, the maximum state and local tax deduction subtracted off your federal tax was lowered from unlimited down to ten thousand dollars.

Asking ten million dollar Wolfeboro house; with 430' of waterfront and 6.2 acres, maybe they decide is better to switch to swimming the local town beach and trailer their boat to the local launch ramp or to the no fee, Downing's Landing state ramp in Alton Bay?

Just recall the price drop-down, down, down history on the mega mega mega Bob Bahre house.
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 10:26 PM   #48
ApS
Senior Member
 
ApS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Winnipesaukee & Florida
Posts: 4,976
Thanks: 1,373
Thanked 578 Times in 406 Posts
Smile Barter is Alive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiej View Post
....or overcharging you!
When my CPA leaves FL until the following season, I store his fishing gear.

In exchange, he does my tax returns for free!
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:42 AM   #49
TiltonBB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Gilford, NH and Florida
Posts: 1,885
Thanks: 316
Thanked 1,345 Times in 517 Posts
Default

The number of high income people in New Hampshire will certainly increase as more people find working from home works just fine.

People continue to flee the big cities and residential and commercial vacancy rates are climbing. Those people have to go somewhere and low tax rate states like New Hampshire and Florida are attractive if you have a large earned income.

A recent survey of moving companies showed that 7 out of 10 residential moves in New Jersey were to new homes out of state. At some point the states that have relied on the taxes from the high income people will go bankrupt. States like New Hampshire can only benefit but property values will continue to rise because of the increased demand.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:05 PM   #50
Tuckntruck
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 20
Thanks: 5
Thanked 20 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
The number of high income people in New Hampshire will certainly increase as more people find working from home works just fine.

People continue to flee the big cities and residential and commercial vacancy rates are climbing. Those people have to go somewhere and low tax rate states like New Hampshire and Florida are attractive if you have a large earned income.

A recent survey of moving companies showed that 7 out of 10 residential moves in New Jersey were to new homes out of state. At some point the states that have relied on the taxes from the high income people will go bankrupt. States like New Hampshire can only benefit but property values will continue to rise because of the increased demand.
NJ has been net migration negative for some time - so that’s not abnormal. We were looking in the cherry hill area maybe 15 years ago. $350k house - $12,000 per year property taxes, living in a fishbowl with no land.

There may or may not be a direct correlation to that- and us coming back to NH. (Again)
Tuckntruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.41165 seconds