Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2017, 12:23 PM   #1
wxman

Default Question about digital TV reception

Hi all

We live in Moultonboro, and we use Dish for our TV. Lately we've been wondering if we could pick up METV channel from WMUR. According to the FCC site there's no chance of reception around here, but I was wondering if anyone on here in this area has tried and had any luck.
wxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:57 AM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

When FCC force the change from analog to digital, they provided the DTA box and claim everyone should get reception. Not the case here, everyone is force to cable or put up 70' towers for reception.

So no unless you want to put up a tower, there is no reception.

Perhaps someone should put legislation change for free basic cable!
Old 01-13-2017, 08:58 AM   #3
wxman

Yes I would agree to that. I know digital TV is supposed to be free to everyone, and easier to use. I just wish they could actually make it to everyone in the state. I guess it's just hit or miss if your house is in the right place.
Old 01-14-2017, 03:02 PM   #4
IslandRadio

Default Topology and antennas are the key

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Hi all

We live in Moultonboro, and we use Dish for our TV. Lately we've been wondering if we could pick up METV channel from WMUR. According to the FCC site there's no chance of reception around here, but I was wondering if anyone on here in this area has tried and had any luck.
It's all about the topology and antennas. If your property is somewhat high or better yet on a hill _and_ have a reasonable clear shot in the direction of the transmitting facility, you have a good chance with a normal antenna.

Some things you can do even under less than optimum conditions are:

1) Use a fairly high gain antenna pointed in the proper direction. Or use a rotator - then you can optimize.
2) Use an antenna-mounted amplifier PARTICULARLY for UHF, which most stations are using these days - check for channel 9 - I don't remember if they are still up on UHF or have been allowed to revert to their previous VHF allocation. The amplifier helps VHF as well. This can make a HUGE difference
3) Use coaxial feedline (with the antenna mounted amplifier).

The importance of a superior antenna system cannot be overstated. In a fringe situation, it makes all the difference in the world.
IslandRadio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to IslandRadio For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (01-14-2017)
Old 01-14-2017, 03:40 PM   #5
wxman

Is there anyone on this forum that lives around the lake that actually has a digital antenna and gets CH9?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2017, 03:47 PM   #6
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandRadio View Post
It's all about the topology and antennas. If your property is somewhat high or better yet on a hill _and_ have a reasonable clear shot in the direction of the transmitting facility, you have a good chance with a normal antenna.

Some things you can do even under less than optimum conditions are:

1) Use a fairly high gain antenna pointed in the proper direction. Or use a rotator - then you can optimize.
2) Use an antenna-mounted amplifier PARTICULARLY for UHF, which most stations are using these days - check for channel 9 - I don't remember if they are still up on UHF or have been allowed to revert to their previous VHF allocation. The amplifier helps VHF as well. This can make a HUGE difference
3) Use coaxial feedline (with the antenna mounted amplifier).

The importance of a superior antenna system cannot be overstated. In a fringe situation, it makes all the difference in the world.
Agree on all points. On the West side of Welch I have a tall roof mount mast with a rotor. Two antennas, one high gain UHF antenna with fixed aim mounted under the rotor aimed toward Vermont channels 31 NBC and 41 PBS, both come in solid. The other is a high gain VHF high band yagi aimed toward Mt Major where I get Maine Ch 8 most of the by reflection. Can't get ch 9, too close to the Belknap Range so angle to horizon is too steep. Someone further back like Moultonborough on high ground, clear view and a proper antenna may have a chance. Can't get Maine channels from west side of Welch; almost a mile of tall trees in the way.

Both the UHF and the VHF high antennas feed into a preamp via coax. I found the ch 8 reflection by accident when looking for ch 9 which is still in the VHF high band.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 03:58 PM   #7
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman View Post
Is there anyone on this forum that lives around the lake that actually has a digital antenna and gets CH9?
BTW, the only thing digital about a "digital antenna" is that most are UHF band antennas as most digital TV channels are now in the UHF band. Ch 9 is still in the high VHF band so unless a "digital antenna" includes elements cut for the high end of VHF, it won't help much with ch 9. A good VHF high/UHF combined antenna should have gain specs for both bands. That needs to be real antenna gain, not amplifier gain.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 04:16 PM   #8
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Current Antennae

Currently have a VHF/UHF antennae on a tripod with a rotator. I did not need an amplifier and it works great with 300 Mhz wire. Use to be able to pull in the Portland and Boston station on clear day. Clear as a bell! When the solar display is down and on a clear night I could get Montreal and Montpelier!

When the change to digital, the setup was useless, but I was able to get the Montreal channel every now and then, useless to me as it was in French.

I did try cable wire and amplifier but no difference.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:46 PM   #9
Great Northern Cleaning

Default Dish Network....

So we use dish network at home. We picked up the "Tailgater Kit" to use with our motor home. It's runs around $350.00. It comes with a small dish that looks like a helmet and a receiver. Best part is...it only adds an additional $7 to the bill monthly and we enjoy all our channels in the motor home. Users will need a good open southerly view of the sky. Pretty much plug and play. Set the dish out on the deck, dock or on the ground. That way you can get channel 9 plus 200 other channels. May be an easy way to bring television to the islands of Winnipesaukee.
Great Northern Cleaning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:37 AM   #10
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
Perhaps someone should put legislation change for free basic cable!
All cable contracts are set up and approved by local town selectmen.

Ask your local selectmen. Let us all know what their answer is.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 08:03 AM   #11
Orion

Default Too bad

It's a shame that broadcasters don't take advantage of the proliferation of strategically located cell towers to set up a UHF or VHF transmitter to relay their signal to fringe areas of their licensed region. With the loss of range when all went digital broadcast, seems like a revisit to the transmitter licensing would have been in order.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:14 PM   #12
wifi

Renting tower space costs lots of $$, not to mention the engineering effort to get a license. There goes the negotiation for satellite rebroadcast of that station. In theory, it would be a great idea.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 10:32 PM   #13
Crusty

If you install any kind of outdoor antenna, be sure to include proper lightning arrestors. Simply grounding the antenna mast is not sufficient and a surge protector is useless where lighting is involved.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote