Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-18-2007, 12:21 PM   #1
feb

Default Winnisquam 4th of July Boat Parade

Every year there is a boat parade on Winnisquam around the 4th of July with everyone decorating their boats to a theme. It's one of those corny traditions that the kids love. Typically there are about 40-50 boats and they cruise from Pot Island to the south end of the lake, waving at everyone out on their docks catching the festivities.

Does anyone know when it is this year and what the theme of the parade is?
feb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 08:02 PM   #2
Sunrise Point

Hello,

To the best of my knowledge, it has been sponsored in the past by the Sanbornton Bay Association. I didn't find anything with a quick online search but there must be something out there for this year's event.

Good luck,

If you find any info, would you post it please?
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 11:28 AM   #3
lacey

Default parade

Last year's parade on Winnisquam started came by Waters Edge about 2 hours after it had in years past, had about 10 boats and was a Disney theme. It was cute. Haven't heard on this years yet.
lacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007, 05:29 PM   #4
Lexxi

Default Costume Ready ???

How can we get ready, the boat and the crew ready if no one knows the theme of this years parade......Where can we find this information?? Does Winnisquam have a forum or do people usually use this one??
We were new to Winnisquam last year. Left Winnipesaukee after 30 years!

Safe and Happy Boating !!!!!
Old 06-19-2007, 08:55 PM   #5
feb

Default Winnisquam Forum

I don't know of any forum similar to this one but for Winnisquam. I know that there are a handful of us on this site and probably another handful lurking, but unfortunately not the numbers we need to support a forum fulltime.

Luckily many issues Winni people experience are also issues for Winnisquam, so this is the best we have, and not a bad one to have at all.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2007, 06:21 AM   #6
lacey

Default left winni

Lexxi, we too left Winni after 20 years of fun and lot's of enjoyment. Got too expensive to rent, never mind buy there. We are now on Winnisquam but on Winni at heart ) I'm sure we'll see you in the parade if we find info on it to prepare!
Old 07-09-2007, 01:53 PM   #7
Lexxi

Thumbs down Lake Winnisquam Parade

The Lake Winnisquam 4th of July Boat Parade was awful. I am not sure if they were trying ot beat the rain or what, but it was really bad........
Old 07-09-2007, 02:18 PM   #8
hilltopper

I've never really seen the parade before. That being said, I just happened to be at the sandbar as it went by and it wasn't very impressive. In the parade's defense, it was held in the middle of the week in less than stellar weather.
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:03 PM   #9
feb

Default What was wrong with it

What parts about it did you not like or what was your expectation?

In a nutshell, it's 25-30 boats, decorated (some more, some less) who putt -putt from Pot Island to the South End and back. I've participated 3 years now and while I can say it's not the grandest parade, it is alot of fun. Actually, most of the fun is before the parade when, as a family, we decide how we are going to decorate the boat and work on the decorations. The actual parade is a bit anti-climactic.

When you look at is for what it is - like minded individuals who want some innocent fun and want to continue a tradition - it's not half bad. These types of events that involve the whole family, young and old, are getting harder and harder to find in this day and age. It's no Rose Bowl Parade however.

My only complaint - too slow. It needed to speed up a little bit and only be a couple of hours. It's hard to keep the kids entertained for 3 hours of putt-putting.

Also, this year, alot of boats bailed out of the parade before it even got to the sandbar becuase the clouds were looking ominous - us included.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:21 PM   #10
Lexxi

Cool Parade

We saw the parade last year for the first time, we loved it, it was great. This year I would say the weather had alot to do with it, but most of the boats that came by us did not even have decorations on them.
It looks like alot of fun and work goes into the parade. All we can do is hope for better weather next year July 4th is a Friday !!!
Sorry if I offended anyone.
Old 07-12-2007, 08:27 PM   #11
Sunrise Point

I have been up working at our camp for the last two weeks and totally forgot about the parade until I saw an older model pontoon boat a few docks south of us, head out decorated in a very impressive Batmobile motif. It was playing the Batman theme song as it headed south towards Pot Island. I loved it!
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:10 AM   #12
feb

That was I, Sunrise. Glad you liked it! We had alot of fun thinking about what to do. As usual, the idea sounded good to the kids but when it came down to doing the work, they were no where to be found.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:32 AM   #13
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

I'm also on the "little" lake after growing up on Winnipesaukee.Many wonderful years on Swallow Point. Now ,instead of performance boat thunder,I'm lulled to sleep by loons.On the north end of the lake there is over a mile of undeveloped shore that is a wildlife preserve and makes for a very peaceful lifestyle.Nice to be able to find flat water to ski on even on weekends in the summer.The bad part is....there's not much to do.3 or 4 restaurants tops.Don't get me wrong....I love the big lake but it's just getting too busy out there.Lots of grandchildren will be skiing soon and it's much more relaxing on a smaller lake.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 06:43 PM   #14
lacey

I have to agree that it wasn't the best of parade's. The weather was not on their side but it didn't look as if the same effort had been put into the decorations this year as in last years. By the time we saw it, (just past the sandbar) there weren't very many boats in it and some of the deorations looked like they may have blown off or ripped off. Also the people in the boats didn't seem to be in the spirit of things. Last year everyone was waving and singing, this year most just stood there and didn't return waves or shouts. (With the exception of the fire boat and the boat slinging water balloons.) Hopefully next year will be better weather for all involved.