Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-15-2009, 10:23 PM   #1
AC2717

Default Kayaker Missing in Auburn

Just saw on 7 News Boston that a Kayaker fliped his Kayak in a lake (began with a M) in Auburn, did not have a PFD and he is missing. He was with a woman in her own kayak and she went to shore when he di dnot come up and notified police and fire. As of 11:22pm they have not found him
Old 07-16-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
Seaplane Pilot

Default Another KAYAK accident

http://theunionleader.com/article.as...a-aeaa557b0ea2

Where are the Nanny Legislators now? Isn't it time to pass a new law that all kayakers MUST wear life preservers while kayaking? It's all about safety, right?
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 09:09 AM   #3
magicrobotmonkey

Quote:
Eskeland said the man was an experienced kayaker, but was not wearing a life vest and did not know how to swim.
What kind of experienced kayaker doesnt know how to swim? You can't protect people against themselves...
magicrobotmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 11:17 AM   #4
AC2717

Default Exactly

This is a terrible thing but could have been avoided lets see Big Brother come down on Kayakers like they did on motorboaters
Old 07-16-2009, 01:01 PM   #5
jrc

It still shocks me how many people cannot swim. It should be taught in Phys. Ed. in elementary school. It's more important than soccer.

That said, I hope they find this guy, not having the body must be hell for the family. I feel sorry for them.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2009, 01:38 PM   #6
fatlazyless

Bouyancy belts are much better swimming aids than a pfd because they create bouyancy at your center balance spot, your stomach and waist area. Parafunalia in Gilford sells bright yellow foam bouyancy belts, made in China, which are excellent quality for about $25, depending on size.

Anyone know of a local store that carries XL bouyancy belts in white or dark blue as opposed to bright safety yellow? How about formal tuxedo black?

Dead or alive, you are probably better off alive! Drowning cannot be a good thing! ....no kidding?!
Old 07-16-2009, 01:44 PM   #7
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
It still shocks me how many people cannot swim. It should be taught in Phys. Ed. in elementary school. It's more important than soccer.

That said, I hope they find this guy, not having the body must be hell for the family. I feel sorry for them.
It was reported earlier that they found the body.
Also, there was a comment on the story by someone at unionleader.com who stated that they guy had a physical issue with his legs, which is why he could not swim. Doesn't explain why he wasn't wearing a PFD though. I feel bad for the guys family.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:13 PM   #8
4Fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
It was reported earlier that they found the body.
Also, there was a comment on the story by someone at unionleader.com who stated that they guy had a physical issue with his legs, which is why he could not swim. Doesn't explain why he wasn't wearing a PFD though. I feel bad for the guys family.
Wow. If he really could not swim and was not wearing a PFD that's just crazy. I admit I have kayaked several times near the shore without wearing my PFD and just sat on it as a cushion but I am a good swimmer.

I feel for the family..
4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 04:04 PM   #9
rick35

Default Lake Massebesic

For those who may not be familiar Lake Massebesic is the water supply for Manchester. Its a quiet small lake that is popular with fisherman and sailors. I used to sail there after work years ago and I have launched in the spring when I needed to get a quick boating fix before heading to the big lake. There is no swimming allowed as someone once told me it would be difficult to deal with the bacteria (but you can run a boat).

Its a great place for hiking and biking as there are fire roads all around the lake. I imagine its a great place for kayaking too as there's not too much boat traffic.

As much as I feel for the friends and family of the individual who drowned I have to say this is another senseless death. I can't imagine someone who doesn't swim going out in a kayak without wearing a life preserver. I grew up on lakes and am a pretty good swimmer but I have an automatic life preserver that I wear when boating alone. You can't be too careful.
rick35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:13 PM   #10
bigRazor

I think the point of wearing a PFD is to save you when you are incapacited. It doesn't really matter if you are a strong swimmer. Get knocked out from a blow to the head or too tired from swimming or hypothermia, whatever the reason, a good PFD will keep your head out of the water so you can breathe. A bouyancy belt will keep your butt up and your face down in the water. You won't last long like that.
bigRazor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 06:56 PM   #11
travaler18

Default all the laws

can you just imagin a world with no laws . for most of us with common sense and curtisy,it would not matter much . but for the other 90% of the population---WOOOOOO-HOOOOOO---here comes that 10%er pulling askier drunk as a skunk with the kids hanging off the sides up through the weirs channel yelling live free or die . and you all know that (would )happen without the rules.
travaler18 is offline   Reply With Quote