Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2019, 07:33 AM   #1
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,209 Posts
Default Cash/Checks vs. Cards at Restaurants

This has been a topic of discussion here and there the last couple years, but yesterday, while using a check at Bailey's Bubble, something occurred to me: all places I've been to that take cash also take checks, and I wondered about bounced check fees vs. card fees. Do people just not bounce checks today, are they not really used at all, or are the fees small enough to still outweigh the use of cards?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:52 AM   #2
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,135 Times in 889 Posts

I always carry cash. I may be different, but it surprises me that someone would write a check to buy ice cream. Then again, I am surprised when someone pulls out a credit card to buy a cup of coffee. I assume that only a small percentage of people bounce checks so I think in most cases fees are not a factor.

I only use checks to pay bills and the majority of the time I use the online payment system at my bank for checks so there is no postage or fees. I know many people never carry cash but if I walk out of the house without folding green in my pocket I feel like something is missing.

Also, I think the employees in restaurants or at boat gas docks appreciate cash tips for obvious reasons. I will buy gasoline or pay a restaurant bill with a credit card to get the benefits the card provides but leave the tip in cash.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:17 AM   #3
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I always carry cash. I may be different, but it surprises me that someone would write a check to buy ice cream. Then again, I am surprised when someone pulls out a credit card to buy a cup of coffee. I assume that only a small percentage of people bounce checks so I think in most cases fees are not a factor.

I only use checks to pay bills and the majority of the time I use the online payment system at my bank for checks so there is no postage or fees. I know many people never carry cash but if I walk out of the house without folding green in my pocket I feel like something is missing.

Also, I think the employees in restaurants or at boat gas docks appreciate cash tips for obvious reasons. I will buy gasoline or pay a restaurant bill with a credit card to get the benefits the card provides but leave the tip in cash.
Should really should not be surprised that people use a credit or debit card for all their purchases. The major reasons are that many are paid by direct deposit and do not go to the bank and/or the benefits cards offer these days for points or travel are tremendous.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:14 AM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Bounced check fee

Most businesses have a bad check policy that includes a fee, usually pretty steep ($20-35).
Usually posted in the store and often printed on the receipt.

Dave
joey2665 (09-02-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 09:51 AM   #5
Wifi-1

Depending on the size of the check, all sorts of bad things can happen:

https://badchecks.uslegal.com/state-...red-check-law/
Wifi-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2019, 10:29 AM   #6
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Most businesses have a bad check policy that includes a fee, usually pretty steep ($20-35).
Usually posted in the store and often printed on the receipt.

Dave
Hey, SAMIAM--please chime in on the topic in general and whether it's easy or difficult to collect on bad check fees. Thanks
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:06 AM   #7
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Hey, SAMIAM--please chime in on the topic in general and whether it's easy or difficult to collect on bad check fees. Thanks
I found in my business forget the bounced check fees, it’s difficult to collect on the original check.

Old 09-02-2019, 01:56 PM   #8
Orion

Default I guess I'm a new age old timer

Quote:
I rarely use cash. Maybe 6 times a year, if that. Everything I buy, I use a credit card or phone/watch (ApplePay) to pay. The main reasons are two. It's a lot quicker and I get cash back (2% to 6%) every month (about $800 total last year). I pay no fees, I have no coins weight down my shorts, and all my transactions are recorded for my later review. All my cards get paid off every month automatically by debit from my bank account. I'm actually amazed how many establishments accept payment by tapping my phone or watch on the cashier display. Quick tap and I'm out without waiting for someone to count out my change.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Orion For This Useful Post:
kawishiwi (09-02-2019), Pineedles (09-03-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 02:09 PM   #9
Descant

Thanked 1,492 Times in 970 Posts
Default Checks are rare now

It can be frustrating when somebody in line ahead of you wants to write a check, then the cashier has to call the manager and they want two forms of ID. That's at least one reason people rarely write checks anymore for retail purchases. Direct Deposit for income; auto-pay for credit cards, mortgage, insurance, utilities, etc. Tradesmen (painter, landscaper, etc) like a check when the job is started, and the balance when it is finished.
Interesting that I stopped the farm stand today and they said 30% discount if you pay cash for end of season specials, you can put everything else on a CC.
I believe it used to be that muggers always wanted cash. Now, they'll take your CC too. No personal experience with muggers.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:18 PM   #10
tis

Thanked 1,371 Times in 947 Posts

People do bounce checks but not as much as I would expect. The good thing is it is a crime to bounce a check and the police will go after them for you. A certain amount (over something like a thousand dollars ?) is a felony. I almost think our bank charges $35 or $40 for a bounced check now. It was $40, but they have brought it back down to $20.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 03:45 PM   #11
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion View Post
I rarely use cash. Maybe 6 times a year, if that. Everything I buy, I use a credit card or phone/watch (ApplePay) to pay. The main reasons are two. It's a lot quicker and I get cash back (2% to 6%) every month (about $800 total last year). I pay no fees, I have no coins weight down my shorts, and all my transactions are recorded for my later review. All my cards get paid off every month automatically by debit from my bank account. I'm actually amazed how many establishments accept payment by tapping my phone or watch on the cashier display. Quick tap and I'm out without waiting for someone to count out my change.
How do you tip at the gas dock?

How do you tip at a restaurant?

If you have someone perform a service at your home like cut down a tree or make a repair do you ever ask if there is a discount for cash?

Sometimes trades people need instant money (poor financial planning) so they will gladly give a discount for immediate cash in hand.

Over many (too many) years I have saved a lot more than 2 to 6% by offering cash and I have been fortunate to have people show up quickly because they know it means cash in hand.

I know, I am an enabler...............................
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Descant (09-02-2019), ishoot308 (09-02-2019), SAMIAM (09-03-2019), Wifi-1 (09-02-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 04:15 PM   #12
joey2665

Quote:

If you have someone perform a service at your home like cut down a tree or make a repair do you ever ask if there is a discount for cash?

Sometimes trades people need instant money (poor financial planning) so they will gladly give a discount for immediate cash in hand.

Over many (too many) years I have saved a lot more than 2 to 6% by offering cash and I have been fortunate to have people show up quickly because they know it means cash in hand.

Most services as you state I pay by credit card and tip with cash except at a restaurant. Everything always in the card. Get my points plus if it’s a business meal much easier to write off. Honestly I leave more of a tip on the card than I would with cash.

Old 09-02-2019, 04:16 PM   #13
kawishiwi

Default You should go out...

Quote:

You should go out & eat at restaurant using a credit card tonight! They have the whole tip thing figured out!

I hate cash almost as much as I hate writing checks to pay bills that require envelopes & stamps. Ugh.
I carry a cash buffer for the gas dock tip & the occasional food stand. Though even food trucks and such usually take cards now.
Cash for independent service providers is one of few good reasons for cash as TiltonBB mentions. Fishing guides LOVE cash.
I pay for coffee with my card. So much faster, easier & no change clinking around until sucked up in a vaccum. I also pay tolls on 93 with the RFID box on my dash. That box could go away as photo id can get your plate & route a bill to you. I got caught without coins on a Florida toll highway, in a rental car, & the toll was added to my bill.

I've been IN my bank maybe 3 times this year and thats at least 2 times too much for my liking.
I completely manage my daughters college bills and such online. She's an authorized user on one of my cards so theres no last minute or late night desperate pleas for money.
Cash is just so...last century.
Old 09-02-2019, 04:19 PM   #14
ishoot308

Thanked 4,904 Times in 1,897 Posts
Default Cash is King

I must admit, I am a cash guy also. I also carry credit cards for larger purchases. I just simply cannot imagine writing a check for an ice cream cone..I do not carry a check book and can’t remember the last time I wrote a check. My wife handles the check book but only writes checks when not able to pay on line.

I agree with Tilton, tipping or paying in cash for some services goes a long way and is remembered!

Dan
Seaplane Pilot (09-02-2019), Wifi-1 (09-02-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 04:31 PM   #15
Seaplane Pilot

Default I love cash

The more, the better! I love it so much that I make a big pile of it this time of the year, then roll around in it like autumn leaves. Love the feeling, love the smell, love it all. I LOVE CASH!!!
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
Major (09-02-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 06:06 PM   #16
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawishiwi View Post
You should go out & eat at restaurant using a credit card tonight! They have the whole tip thing figured out!
I carry a cash buffer for the gas dock tip & the occasional food stand. Though even food trucks and such usually take cards now.
Cash for independent service providers is one of few good reasons for cash as TiltonBB mentions. Fishing guides LOVE cash.
Cash is just so...last century.
It is not that I can't do the math, but I have never tipped in a restaurant with a credit card. It's the same with many services where a gratuity is appropriate. When you tip using a credit card the employee is taxed on that income so depending upon their income bracket they may only get 75% of the tip.

Almost everyone prefers cash as a method of payment. That means your waiter, landscaper, boat maintenance company, car mechanic, coffee shop, ice cream stand, bartender. Everyone.
Old 09-02-2019, 06:16 PM   #17
baygo

Quote:
It is not that I can't do the math, but I have never tipped in a restaurant with a credit card. It's the same with many services where a gratuity is appropriate. When you tip using a credit card the employee is taxed on that income so depending upon their income bracket they may only get 75% of the tip.

Almost everyone prefers cash as a method of payment. That means your waiter, landscaper, boat maintenance company, car mechanic, coffee shop, ice cream stand, bartender. Everyone.
So you are encouraging/enabling tax evasion?

Then there is also the understanding for currency vs money.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aXiNZW...ature=youtu.be

Last edited by baygo; 09-02-2019 at 06:50 PM.
baygo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:51 PM   #18
JADAQ

Cash, I don’t carry it. Period.

As I posted on another thread, a restaurant has forever lost my business until they take plastic. Heard the food is good, I wouldn’t know...

This is the 21st century, step into it... I can use a card on a soda machine for a $1.85 purchase without issue but a restaurant where I’m going to drop $50+ can’t suck up 3%???!!

There is a Gilford car repair garage that gives a generous cash discount, repair cost $1850 and we paid $1600 cash, one of the few times I’ll ever go to the bank!

Checks, yup still write them every month for rent.
JADAQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:59 PM   #19
baygo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADAQ View Post
Cash, I don’t carry it. Period.

As I posted on another thread, a restaurant has forever lost my business until they take plastic. Heard the food is good, I wouldn’t know...

This is the 21st century, step into it... I can use a card on a soda machine for a $1.85 purchase without issue but a restaurant where I’m going to drop $50+ can’t suck up 3%???!!

There is a Gilford car repair garage that gives a generous cash discount, repair cost $1850 and we paid $1600 cash, one of the few times I’ll ever go to the bank!

Checks, yup still write them every month for rent.
I remember buying a soda from a machine for $.15

Who’s aware of why we get less for our money today? Currency vs money https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aXiNZW...ature=youtu.be
Old 09-02-2019, 07:11 PM   #20
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
So you are encouraging/enabling tax evasion?

Then there is also the understanding for currency vs money.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aXiNZW...ature=youtu.be
Did you ever take food or supplies home from your restaurant without paying for it? Your business deducts the cost of supplies but when you convert them to personal use that is taxable. Just askin'

Yes, I am an enabler, and proud of it. I do believe that people should pay their fair share but I also believe that the government takes way more than a fair share.

When Al Sharpton pays his fair share, when all the government waste, welfare fraud, absurd federal pensions Etc, Etc., Etc. are eliminated maybe it will get closer to a "fair share". Until then, I don't blame anyone for trying to "beat the system" and if my cash contribution helps them I'm OK with that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
ApS (09-02-2019), ishoot308 (09-03-2019), joey2665 (09-02-2019)
Old 09-02-2019, 07:17 PM   #21
baygo

Quote:
Did you ever take food or supplies home from your restaurant without paying for it? Your business deducts the cost of supplies but when you convert them to personal use that is taxable. Just askin'

Yes, I am an enabler, and proud of it. I do believe that people should pay their fair share but I also believe that the government takes way more than a fair share.

When Al Sharpton pays his fair share, when all the government waste, welfare fraud, absurd federal pensions Etc, Etc., Etc. are eliminated maybe it will get closer to a "fair share". Until then, I don't blame anyone for trying to "beat the system" and if my cash contribution helps them I'm OK with that.
Visit the link I posted. You will learn how the government is enabled to do exactly as you state.
Old 09-02-2019, 07:21 PM   #22
kawishiwi

Talking Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
The more, the better! I love it so much that I make a big pile of it this time of the year, then roll around in it like autumn leaves. Love the feeling, love the smell, love it all. I LOVE CASH!!!
Please clarify that you are CLOTHED when you do this!
Otherwise your tips may be quite less than well received.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:07 PM   #23
swnoel

I do online banking and no longer write checks... the bank does it for me including the stamp to mail it, at no charge. I also use a credit card 99.9% of the time.
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:47 PM   #24
tummyman

I also use CC to pay everything...get $$$ rewards back. Mounts up. Have about $1300 in current credits just waiting for me to cash them in. Bank credit card $$$ credits will buy me a new laptop soon. They essentially pay me to use their money...only in America. Just pay the credit card bill once a month before any interest charges. I seldom write a check. If a check is needed, I also have the bank mail it and save the stamp. Monthly bills I have set up to just access my checking account. Saves lots of time.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 09:27 PM   #25
Descant

Default Free?

I use CC and cash. It amuses me that people think they're getting something for "free" on a CC. That's like saying "It's free. The government pays for it."
Does "gullible" have 1,2, or 3 "l"s?
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
TCC (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 04:32 AM   #26
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawishiwi View Post
Please clarify that you are CLOTHED when you do this!
Otherwise your tips may be quite less than well received.
Fear not, fully clothed!
kawishiwi (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 04:44 AM   #27
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
I use CC and cash. It amuses me that people think they're getting something for "free" on a CC. That's like saying "It's free. The government pays for it."

Does "gullible" have 1,2, or 3 "l"s?
This will open up a whole different conversation. The point and rewards system exists so if you do not capitalize on it then it truly is costing you money for something you are paying for and not receiving

Old 09-03-2019, 06:25 AM   #28
tummyman

Since I pay my credit card bill on the day it is due every month and NEVER incur any interest charges, please prove to me that it is costing me money to collect the reward dollars. I will be very interested in your logic, as I firmly believe it has zero cost to me.....only gain.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:38 AM   #29
Biggd

Thanked 1,065 Times in 672 Posts

I always have at least $500 on me at all times but I'm in a business where I receive a lot of cash.
I'm not sure how I will handle this when I retire. I don't know if I will go to the bank every week and withdraw cash or start using my credit cards more.
I do know one thing, I will NEVER own a debit card!
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:50 AM   #30
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummyman View Post
Since I pay my credit card bill on the day it is due every month and NEVER incur any interest charges, please prove to me that it is costing me money to collect the reward dollars. I will be very interested in your logic, as I firmly believe it has zero cost to me.....only gain.
My perspective is different. Credit cards are a last resort, not the first option.

Whenever I have service or trades people (who take credit cards) work for me I ask "Is there any discount for cash?". Quite often I have saved significant amounts of money. My plumber just took $100 off of a $700 bill. That is significantly more than the 3 to 5% rewards program that some credit cards offer. I had a good sized boat moved and they took $200 off of an $1,800 quote. Again, significantly more than the rewards programs that credit cards offer.

I have someone coming to cut down a tree. I got two quotes in the $1,000 to $1,200 range. I offered cash to a third person and he told me $600. Guess who got the job.

That is the reason for Cumberland Farms gas discount program if you let them debit your bank account immediately. They don't lose CC fees and they improve and speed up their cash flow.

Cash is King!
Old 09-03-2019, 06:55 AM   #31
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,617 Times in 560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
We get quite a few checks at the VK and the Red Hill Dari but usually only get a few bad ones each year. Checks are usually in the $29/$50 range and we don't even pursue them. We're thinking that no one really wants to intentionally bounce a check and they're probably going through tough times.

About 30 years ago I attempted collection on a bad check only to find out it was a local single mom who was struggling and had recently lost a child. Haven't done it since.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SAMIAM For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (09-03-2019), garysanfran (09-03-2019), tummyman (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 07:31 AM   #32
joey2665

Quote:
My perspective is different. Credit cards are a last resort, not the first option.

Whenever I have service or trades people (who take credit cards) work for me I ask "Is there any discount for cash?". Quite often I have saved significant amounts of money. My plumber just took $100 off of a $700 bill. That is significantly more than the 3 to 5% rewards program that some credit cards offer. I had a good sized boat moved and they took $200 off of an $1,800 quote. Again, significantly more than the rewards programs that credit cards offer.

I have someone coming to cut down a tree. I got two quotes in the $1,000 to $1,200 range. I offered cash to a third person and he told me $600. Guess who got the job.

That is the reason for Cumberland Farms gas discount program if you let them debit your bank account immediately. They don't lose CC fees and they improve and speed up their cash flow.

Cash is King!
You are correct for small local vendors but after that you are better off using a card with a good reward program.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:47 AM   #33
joey2665

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
We get quite a few checks at the VK and the Red Hill Dari but usually only get a few bad ones each year. Checks are usually in the $29/$50 range and we don't even pursue them. We're thinking that no one really wants to intentionally bounce a check and they're probably going through tough times.

About 30 years ago I attempted collection on a bad check only to find out it was a local single mom who was struggling and had recently lost a child.Haven't done it since.
Let’s say you lose 200.00 per year in bad checks that would cover the cost of about 15,000 in credit card charges.

Old 09-03-2019, 08:10 AM   #34
brk-lnt

Checks are a payment method of last resort, mostly reserved for paying bills, or making a large payment to a contractor/etc, where credit cards are not an option, and it wouldn't make sense to hand them a duffel bag of money.

We put almost everything on credit cards. From a $2.00 coffee to a $2,000 whatever purchase. It's just easier to pay one bill per month, plus most credit cards these days have some nice features for tracking spending, plus cash-back programs.

I usually carry ~$200 in cash for random things where cash is more practical (tips, street vendors, etc.). Sometimes that lasts a week, sometimes it lasts 3 months.
jbolty (09-03-2019)
Old 09-03-2019, 08:26 AM   #35
Biggd

Quote:

About 30 years ago I attempted collection on a bad check only to find out it was a local single mom who was struggling and had recently lost a child. Haven't done it since.
I think you lose more from stealing with cash than you would though bad checks. When ever an employee is dealing with cash the temptation is right there in their hands.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:53 AM   #36
SAMIAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Let’s say you lose 200.00 per year in bad checks that would cover the cost of about 15,000 in credit card charges.

Good point joey
Old 09-03-2019, 09:01 AM   #37
SAMIAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I think you lose more from stealing with cash than you would though bad checks. When ever an employee is dealing with cash the temptation is right there in their hands.
Actually, with the POS system it would be very difficult to steal. Every scrap of food goes through the system and the total has to match the cash. Also, lucky to have very honest crew. Never any problems at the VK.
Old 09-03-2019, 10:16 AM   #38
Biggd

Quote:
Actually, with the POS system it would be very difficult to steal. Every scrap of food goes through the system and the total has to match the cash. Also, lucky to have very honest crew. Never any problems at the VK.
I use to own a Mobil gas station with a mini mart. It had a state of the art POS system and it always amazed me how creative the high school age employees got to scam the system. I caught many but I'm sure I didn't catch them all.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:11 AM   #39
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post

True, but that doesn't take into account the rest of the gross receipts that are reduced by 3 to 5% because of credit card fees. If you are operating a business that profits 15% of their gross a year the credit card fee is a big hit. If you have a $50,000 month you could lose $1,500 to $2,500 in credit card fees. And, you have to wait a month for your money.

A friend of mine who had a small independent gas station and C store lost money every time someone used a credit card. He had to stay competitive but the markup on gasoline is not that high. He finally gave up and took the tanks and pumps out.
Old 09-03-2019, 11:27 AM   #40
joey2665

Quote:
True, but that doesn't take into account the rest of the gross receipts that are reduced by 3 to 5% because of credit card fees. If you are operating a business that profits 15% of their gross a year the credit card fee is a big hit. If you have a $50,000 month you could lose $1,500 to $2,500 in credit card fees. And, you have to wait a month for your money.

A friend of mine who had a small independent gas station and C store lost money every time someone used a credit card. He had to stay competitive but the markup on gasoline is not that high. He finally gave up and took the tanks and pumps out.
First I said that it would cover the first 15k not all but you are also grossly overstating the credit card processing cost. Amex is a flat 3% (which you do not have to allow your customers to use) and Visa, m/c and discover are just 1.2-1.3% no were near 3-5%

I seriously doubt he lost money on CC sales that would mean he was working on an extremely low 1.5% or less which is highly unlikely
Old 09-03-2019, 11:43 AM   #41
SIKSUKR

Quote:
You need a big pile of cash just to pay the property taxes on that mansion of yours.
Old 09-03-2019, 12:21 PM   #42
Biggd

Visa is paying some of the high end restaurants in big cities as much as 10K to accept credit cards only, no cash.
Old 09-03-2019, 07:33 PM   #43
Top-Water

Quote:
Cash is King!
For most house hold utility bills checks ... for everything else ..... what you said.
Top-Water is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 07:39 PM   #44
Top-Water

Quote:
Visa is paying some of the high end restaurants in big cities as much as 10K to accept credit cards only, no cash.
Just asking, ... can they really do that. Does it not say on U.S. paper currency for all debts public and private.

I'm asking because I do not know the answer.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:07 PM   #45
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
Just asking, ... can they really do that. Does it not say on U.S. paper currency for all debts public and private.

I'm asking because I do not know the answer.
Some years ago, I did business with a one man shop on Elm St in Manchester. The owner changed from checks and CC to absolutely cash only. The explanation was that "I'm going to retire in a few years." Yes, cash is king.
Old 09-03-2019, 08:21 PM   #46
Top-Water

????????
We agree .... CASH is king .... however, can this be done (below) I always wondered. It's the opposite of what we agree on.

Quote:
Old 09-03-2019, 08:34 PM   #47
joey2665

Quote:
Where did you see this? I question first of all the legality and secondly how can visa enforce this policy. It is certainly not going to audit or have a watchdog on the establishment. It would not be cost effective

Old 09-03-2019, 09:16 PM   #48
Newbiesaukee

Google says Visa did attempt to institute this policy and the point was made that there is no Federal law requiring a private company to accept cash/currency. There are multiple references to the Visa story from 2017. I do not know whether the plan worked.

"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
Biggd (09-04-2019), joey2665 (09-04-2019), Top-Water (09-04-2019)
Old 09-04-2019, 03:46 PM   #49
Top-Water

So If I have this correct in my mind. ?????

Example: You go out to a restaurant, you get a meal for $40.00 dollars and the bill comes and you put down $45.00 cash and the server says I'm sorry we only take credit cards.

What happens next? Are you going to be washing dishes all night. Is a free meal ? Expect FLL to be there every night? Seems Impossible that any place would refuse to take cash.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:15 PM   #50
Outdoorsman

Quote:

Example: You go out to a restaurant, you get a meal for $40.00 dollars and the bill comes and you put down $45.00 cash and the server says I'm sorry we only take credit cards.

What happens next? [/U].
The business will adjust use their POS and ADD tip to the bill after the customer has left. They will, in turn, give the Employee the CASH amount of the tip BEFORE THEY GO HOME!

That $5.00 tip you left on your CC receipt.... IS CASH to the server.... 100 years ago that may not be true, but today......
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 05:18 PM   #51
farechofisherman

Airlines won't take cash anymore CC only.
farechofisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to farechofisherman For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (09-04-2019)
Old 09-04-2019, 05:19 PM   #52
Hillcountry

Quote:

What happens next? Are you going to be washing dishes all night. Is a free meal ? Expect FLL to be there every night? Seems Impossible that any place would refuse to take cash.
If that’s the case, you put the cash on the table and say “going once...”
I also find it very hard to believe any establishment can or would refuse cash.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hillcountry For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (09-04-2019)
Old 09-04-2019, 05:21 PM   #53
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by farechofisherman View Post
Actually, the main reason they won't take cash anymore is to clearly establish identity and avoid another 9/11 situation.
TheTimeTraveler is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheTimeTraveler For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (09-04-2019)
Old 09-04-2019, 07:06 PM   #54
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by farechofisherman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
Actually, the main reason they won't take cash anymore is to clearly establish identity and avoid another 9/11 situation.
Both good points about the credit card only question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
If that’s the case, you put the cash on the table and say “going once...”
I also find it very hard to believe any establishment can or would refuse cash.
:
Old 09-04-2019, 07:23 PM   #55
Descant

Default Hotel

Locally, we have had hotel/drug problems where the hotel took cash and nobody could ID the tenant. The police "encouraged" them to take CC so there was a basis for ID or stolen CC. Good cooperation from hotels.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:33 PM   #56
Wifi-1

There is another facet to this, and that is privacy. If an insurance company gets a hold of your credit card bill, they can count the number of times you bought an ice cream and correlate it to your health, or more to the point: Imagine a divorce lawyer who analyses where you went, demanding who ordered the more expensive item, they have proof you went. Wait, this actually happened to me, so no imagination is necessary.

If you don't want your life under a microscope, use cash; if you accept accusations and implications of your life made by others, by all means, put your complete life on paper.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:37 PM   #57
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wifi-1 View Post
If you don't want your life under a microscope, use cash; if you accept accusations and implications of your life made by others, by all means, put your complete life on paper.
Better yet on Facebook!!

Dan
Wifi-1 (09-04-2019)
Old 09-04-2019, 08:21 PM   #58
ApS

Arrow REAL ID Needed October 2020...

Quote:
A reminder that Real ID is needed by TSA to fly commercial airlines. If you use a drivers license, it will have a star in one upper corner.

Quote:
"To obtain a REAL ID, state residents will need to bring a Social Security card, or pay stub or tax form; along with a passport or birth certificate or immigration form; and two proofs of Massachusetts residency, such as a utility bill."
This is an upgrade for Massachusetts. Prior required proof was a single fake utility bill: Now, an applicant needs two fake utility bills.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 08:30 PM   #59
Wifi-1

I prefer not to fly.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:56 PM   #60
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
A reminder that Real ID is needed by TSA to fly commercial airlines. If you use a drivers license, it will have a star in one upper corner.

This is an upgrade for Massachusetts. Prior required proof was a single fake utility bill: Now, an applicant needs two fake utility bills.
ApS: Thank you for posting this. I do want to take a moment to remind all the members that beginning sometime in 2020 that you will NOT be able to have access to Federal Buildings without having a Real ID (not sure about State Buildings).

Likely not an issue for most folks, but if you have to make an in person visit at the Social Security office you just "may" have a problem. Not sure, just saying.

Better to be prepared!
Old 09-05-2019, 05:31 AM   #61
TiltonBB

Many years ago there was a Boston Mayor who did every personal transaction in cash. He didn't have a checking account and did not use credit cards. When he needed checks to pay bills he sent someone with cash to get Postal Money Orders, a different post office every time. That way it was almost impossible to trace his cash flow.

The rumor was that from payoffs and other illegitimate sources of income he had a lot more money than his salary would amount to. I believe the rumors.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:03 AM   #62
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Better yet on Facebook!!

Dan
Or go on line and post on forums.
Old 09-05-2019, 06:57 AM   #63
baygo

Quote:
There is another facet to this, and that is privacy. If an insurance company gets a hold of your credit card bill, they can count the number of times you bought an ice cream and correlate it to your health, or more to the point: Imagine a divorce lawyer who analyses where you went, demanding who ordered the more expensive item, they have proof you went. Wait, this actually happened to me, so no imagination needed.
Law-enforcement may also use credit card records to investigate automobile accidents that may involve alcohol.
Old 09-05-2019, 07:07 AM   #64
TheTimeTraveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by baygo View Post
Law-enforcement may also use credit card records to investigate automobile accidents that may involve alcohol.
True; and don't forget all the cell phone records to determine where one has been and if they have been texting while driving....
Old 09-05-2019, 09:37 AM   #65
iw8surf

Reading this and you can clearly see the generational divide on how to pay for things. I had to teach a fellow employee whos fresh out of school how to make out a check the other day. Her response was " I pay everything online". Which I do too now, but in the past like most of us have had to at least write checks some something!
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:26 AM   #66
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Businesses these days are just rolling those CC fees into their prices so that so called cash back rewards is basically a partial refund from the fees you've already paid. I love how all these rewards programs are out there suggesting you can make all this money on them. Um NO it's simply a gimmick that people fall for and usually those that can least afford it. It's just encouraging people to spend more in the hopes they get a larger check back and in exchange driving up consumer debt and those nasty CC APR charges for carrying a balance which the backers of said cards are banking on. Even if you are paying off your CC every month, I guarantee you it's still costing you something for every swipe.

The best credit card "rewards" program is to actually invest in the their stocks which pay a nice dividend and at least Visa and MasterCard stocks have been doing quite well lately. Combine that plus your individual card "rewards" minus cap gains and dividend taxes you may just make a little something.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:43 AM   #67
jbolty

Quote:
Originally Posted by iw8surf View Post
Reading this and you can clearly see the generational divide on how to pay for things. I had to teach a fellow employee whos fresh out of school how to make out a check the other day. Her response was " I pay everything online". Which I do too now, but in the past like most of us have had to at least write checks some something!
Write a check once in a blue moon.

I still have checks pre-printed with the date line as 19____

My friend who used to be a bank teller told me they stopped doing that in about 1998.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 10:55 AM   #68
Seaplane Pilot

Default So let me get this straight....

Quote:
ApS: Thank you for posting this. I do want to take a moment to remind all the members that beginning sometime in 2020 that you will NOT be able to have access to Federal Buildings without having a Real ID (not sure about State Buildings).

Likely not an issue for most folks, but if you have to make an in person visit at the Social Security office you just "may" have a problem. Not sure, just saying.

Better to be prepared!
The People's Republic of Massachusetts is considering a bill to give drivers licenses illegal aliens. Presumably some (if not all) of these will be Real ID compliant. So therefore, an illegal alien with a Real ID compliant license can have access to a Federal Building, but I, as an American citizen, cannot have access to a Federal Building if I don't have a Real ID compliant license. Are you freaking kidding me or what???

https://www.uptoboston.com/joint-hea...al-immigrants/
Old 09-05-2019, 11:01 AM   #69
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
The People's Republic of Massachusetts is considering a bill to give drivers licenses illegal aliens. Presumably some (if not all) of these will be Real ID compliant. So therefore, an illegal alien with a Real ID compliant license can have access to a Federal Building, but I, as an American citizen, cannot have access to a Federal Building if I don't have a Real ID compliant license. Are you freaking kidding me or what???

No way do I agree with this idea, but, none of them will be real ID. That was stated yesterday. However, by mass law each holder will be allowed to vote

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:33 AM   #70
Biggd

Quote:

You have to prove you are a US citizen to get an ID compliant license. A legal passport would prove otherwise.
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
Seaplane Pilot (09-05-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 11:36 AM   #71
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ View Post
No way do I agree with this idea, but, none of them will be real ID. That was stated yesterday. However, by mass law each holder will be allowed to vote

Wow, letting them vote is even worse.
joey2665 (09-05-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 11:38 AM   #72
thebix

Default Stop spreading FUD, get your facts straight

Quote:
The People's Republic of Massachusetts is considering a bill to give drivers licenses illegal aliens. Presumably some (if not all) of these will be Real ID compliant.
https://boston.cbslocal.com/2019/09/...F9rWoobE3HY5X0

The legislation (H 3012/S 2061) filed by Reps. Tricia Farley-Bouvier of Pittsfield and Christine Barber of Somerville, and Sen. Brendan Crighton of Lynn, would permit all qualified residents, regardless of immigration status, to apply for and receive a standard state license under the state’s now-two-tiered system.

Fourteen states, including Connecticut and Vermont, have laws in place allowing all residents to acquire some type of license or permit regardless of immigration status, according to supporters. The Massachusetts legislation would not affect federal Real ID-compliant licenses, which require proof of citizenship or lawful residence as well as a Social Security number.

“This is a public safety bill. The passage of this bill will mean that all drivers in the commonwealth will be trained, will be licensed and will be insured,” Farley-Bouvier said. “When all drivers are trained, licensed and insured, all drivers, all passengers, all cyclists and pedestrians are safer.”

Barber reminded the Transportation Committee that Massachusetts already issues driver’s licenses to green card holders, foreign students and immigrants covered by the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals policy. Obtaining a standard driver’s license, she said, does not allow someone to vote, does not make them eligible for any public benefits they do not already receive and soon cannot be used to board an airplane.
thebix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 11:55 AM   #73
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebix View Post

The legislation (H 3012/S 2061) filed by Reps. Tricia Farley-Bouvier of Pittsfield and Christine Barber of Somerville, and Sen. Brendan Crighton of Lynn, would permit all qualified residents, regardless of immigration status, to apply for and receive a standard state license under the state’s now-two-tiered system.

Fourteen states, including Connecticut and Vermont, have laws in place allowing all residents to acquire some type of license or permit regardless of immigration status, according to supporters. The Massachusetts legislation would not affect federal Real ID-compliant licenses, which require proof of citizenship or lawful residence as well as a Social Security number.

“This is a public safety bill. The passage of this bill will mean that all drivers in the commonwealth will be trained, will be licensed and will be insured,” Farley-Bouvier said. “When all drivers are trained, licensed and insured, all drivers, all passengers, all cyclists and pedestrians are safer.”

Barber reminded the Transportation Committee that Massachusetts already issues driver’s licenses to green card holders, foreign students and immigrants covered by the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals policy. Obtaining a standard driver’s license, she said, does not allow someone to vote, does not make them eligible for any public benefits they do not already receive and soon cannot be used to board an airplane.
Name:  IMG_2048.JPG
Views: 2090
Size:  89.8 KB

Old 09-05-2019, 12:09 PM   #74
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebix View Post

Well thanks for setting me straight - I feel so much better now! Hopefully they all stay in MASSHOLECHUSETTS where they belong.
Old 09-05-2019, 12:56 PM   #75
WinnisquamZ

Play it forward, issued mass license, two months of utility bills and we can issue them a valid NH license.

Old 09-05-2019, 01:18 PM   #76
Descant

Default Dmv?

Issued by the DMV in Massachusetts? Now there's group that knows how to keep accurate, up to date, records. No illegal will ever slip through the cracks with those guys on the job. The day the first license is issued, won't the ACLU protest that it s discriminatory because it doesn't look like everybody else's license?
Love the testimony that says all these people will now be insured. We insure cars, not drivers. No car, no insurance. When I was in that business, it was well known that there were more uninsured drivers in MA per capita (Mandatory insurance) than in NH where insurance is not required.
I'm waiting to see the cross check when they find out they have issued 200+ licenses to the same single family residence address.
Old 09-05-2019, 01:24 PM   #77
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Love the testimony that says all these people will now be insured. We insure cars, not drivers.
Ain't that the truth!! I noticed the same thing!!
Old 09-05-2019, 01:42 PM   #78
Biggd

How did credit card versus cash morph into illegals getting licenses?
You people should just start a "We hate out of Staters" thread.
And I thought FLL was bad about changing the subject of threads.

Last edited by Biggd; 09-05-2019 at 02:13 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
kawishiwi (09-05-2019), Shreddy (09-05-2019), webmaster (09-06-2019)
Old 09-05-2019, 02:30 PM   #79
Mr. V

Quote:
Hopefully they all stay in MASSHOLECHUSETTS where they belong.
A pretty short-sighted view from someone who lives in the lakes region, an area which depends for its very survival on people from other states visiting and spending money locally.

'Twould be better to keep such xenophobic thoughts to yourself.

Besides, the make up of NH is changing: lots of liberals have moved in from other parts of the country.

Life is change.
Old 09-05-2019, 03:57 PM   #80
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
How did credit card versus cash morph into illegals getting licenses?
You people should just start a "We hate out of Staters" thread.
And I thought FLL was bad about changing the subject of threads.
Great isn’t! Like a dinner at conversation. Very fluid

The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
Biggd (09-05-2019)
Old 09-06-2019, 06:01 AM   #81
SAMIAM

Quote:

No surprises there....they seem to embrace lawbreakers. Recently gave a slap on the wrist and no jail time to demonstrators who assaulted cops in Boston
Old 09-06-2019, 07:24 AM   #82
ApS

Question Preferences: Fly or Drive?

Quote:
I prefer not to fly.
Did yesterday's news give you a reason not to fly?

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...234766107.html

If I can drive there, that's good enough for me—and has been for eighteen years.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote