Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2021, 06:47 PM   #1
Keel Holler

Default Big Logs

Hi, anyone have recommendations for me?

I had to have some large trees cut down at my island camp. But stupidly, I did not specify exactly where the logs and brush should go, only that logs should be under 2’ (which they mostly are) and stacked neatly. But the brush is piled too high and/or too close to the house to burn. And the log piles are in the way- one blocks the path from my dock. The logs are mostly under 2’ as specified, but I had no idea they would be so heavy, and I can’t lift them. The arborist won’t come back to move the wood. I can’t say I blame him, because he did more or less do what we agreed- my fault for not specifying.

But now what do I do? On shore, I’d just offer it up on Craig’s List, but… island. I have a handyman who helps out with stuff, but he won’t do it either.

The arborist thought I could get a chipper for the brush, but I can only bring a little one out in my boat, and I’m not sure that would help much. And if I’m moving the brush to put it in a chipper anyway, I guess I could just move it into smaller piles in suitable locations to burn. But I’m stumped by the logs (sorry, sorry, couldn’t resist!) I considered a log splitter, but getting it here is problematic. And figuring out where to put it (there’s no nice flat space for it to live.) Plus there’s the fact that I can’t lift the logs.

Anyone have ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Keel Holler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 07:13 PM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

When you say 2', do you mean round or long? Are the logs stacked? If so, high high?

Do you have a campfire ring? Woodstove or fireplace?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:31 PM   #3
ApS

Thumbs up Lifting Not Required...

If they can be rolled from their location, a "timber-jack" can be used to ease them on their way.

https://www.farmertec.com/Alloy-Timb...caAnzdEALw_wcB

I have one you can borrow, which can be picked up by land or lake.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 09:40 PM   #4
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts
Default Where?

Which island? How much space do you have?
When we cleared for building (1960,+/-)we burned in November when there was snow on the ground. More recently (2018 +/-) we put brush in a pile and waded through with a chainsaw. Good habitat for a while and now mostly not visible. On the islands, think about 20 years, not next spring. I'm guessing, as with most islands, a lot of your wood is white pine. If you split and age it for a couple of years, it is fine for a fireplace. Heats quickly, goes out fast when you don't want to leave embers. Great for an outdoor fire pit especially if you're boiling for lobster. I'd be reluctant in a wood stove, except to cook or start for addition of hardwood.
There are a lot of things you can do for your grandchildren. If you only think about what it will look like next month...visit some neighbors who are 2,3,4th generation islanders.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 05:58 AM   #5
Kamper

https://www.amazon.com/Whaiffa-Split...70245135&psc=1

You can always chip away at the pile with a drill splitter.

(I could resist but chose not to.)
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2021, 07:28 AM   #6
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Makes a difference if it's hard wood or pine.If it's hard wood it might be worth it to have someone cut and split it for fire wood which could probably be done in a day.If it's pine,all you can do is try to drag it out of the way.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 09:13 AM   #7
Keel Holler

2’ long. Some are that wide too, or more. Some piles are tidier than others, but they’re stacked to about 3’.

You’re wondering how much firewood I want to keep? Truth is I don’t need any, at the moment. My fireplace and woodstove are out of commission until I repair the chimney. And there’s about a 12’ high brush pile where I wanted to put that campfire ring!

I hope to have the chimney done in the next 2 years, but it is island time, so…

I estimate I could get lifetime use from about 15 percent of my current log supply, but I’d rather keep about 5 percent, or less.

I have to laugh at getting in this situation! Thanks for responding

Old 06-12-2021, 09:55 AM   #8
WinnisquamZ

You could stack and use it as a shooting wall

WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:15 AM   #9
Outdoorsman

I would invite my friends for a weekend work party. Let them know what you have for work and see who wants to spend the weekend at camp giving you a helping hand.

Cut/split and stack wood in the mornings when it is cool out. Move the brush a little at a time to a "bonfire" pit further from the camp in the evening as you hang out. Pay them with food and drink and perhaps a boat ride in the afternoon/evening when it is too hot to work. Any extra wood that is cut and split you could offer to other islanders that are willing to come get it.

I do this sort of thing often as both the owner and the visitor/helper. Friends helping friends...
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 10:44 AM   #10
Keel Holler

I’m on Lockes, and the giant trees are several hemlocks, a black Cherry, 2 oaks, a maple, and a white pine. There’s a bunch of smaller ones that are mostly pine.

Thanks everyone for helping me think it through. For the logs, I guess it makes sense to either split & keep, or if splitting isn’t feasible, get them hauled. I read somewhere that wood won’t season well enough if it’s not split- anyone know if that’s true? If the logs were split, I could then carry them somewhere to store and have a lifetime firewood supply. And for my descendants! I wasn’t really thinking about them, I don’t know if I’ll have any… but I’ll be optimistic!

I can handle a chain saw for a short time, and that log jack looks like it would solve the problem of getting the log into position to cut. And I can check out the drill splitter, which looks promising. But even with a chainsaw or drill splitter and log jack, it still would be a big stretch for me physically. I could do a corner of a pile that way, and at least clear the route from my dock, which would be a huge improvement. But there’s just so much, I don’t think I could split it in my lifetime, if I gave it all I’ve got. So, does anyone know where I could look for someone who I could hire to split it for me? I guess that would be ideal.

Otherwise, I can call around to barge companies to see if anyone can haul it. I knew they could transport, but hadn’t considered they might load and dispose.

For the brush, you just waded in with a chain saw? I’m not sure I could do that, the big pile is over 10’ tall. Unfortunately it occupies the biggest clearing and the obvious place to burn. But there is a clearing at the back of the property too that I could use. So I could drag branches there in batches. Some of the “brush” is 4-6” limbs and the pile will be difficult to dismantle. I could’ve done it 20 years ago, but now it would be tough. Maybe I’ll try attacking one of the smaller piles with the chainsaw first. Though, if I could hire someone to split the wood, maybe they could carve up my brush piles, too. Or I could just have those hauled.

The whole thing makes me glad I live in the modern age and don’t have to split wood to survive! Thanks for your help everyone

Old 06-12-2021, 11:40 AM   #11
Kamper

Craigslist?
---------------------------------------------------------

Island Wood

Got boat? I got wood for you!

I’m on Locke's, and the giant trees are several hemlocks,
a black Cherry, 2 oaks, a maple, and a white pine.
There’s a bunch of smaller ones that are mostly pine.

Bring your own splitter or tow it back to your place.
Logs are up to 2X2 feet. Cannot be made into a raft
so you will need to carry on your vessel or place on a
suitable swim-type raft or maybe a row boat.

----------------------------------------------

Does the association have a bulletin board, website or FB page?
That would be a good place for your neighbors to be made aware
that you would like to share your bonanza.

Good luck!
Kamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 02:41 PM   #12
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Ok, 2' is easy to work with. If you've got a wood burning apparatus coming online in a couple years, I'd totally process the wood. I'd grab a saw and start working on the brush, burning some and piling the rest.

The bigger wood I'd (either yourself or someone hired) buck it up, split it, and stack it. With even a little air underneath, wood will last years without rotting. Hell, it'll take two years just to get ready to burn.

Do it right, and you'll never have to pay for heat again.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 03:33 PM   #13
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

That's a lot of wood. By the time you could split dry and burn more trees will have grown up around you.

Call Courtney at Arbortech 491-5183. He took down some huge trees for me, log lengths were stacked and he coordinated with Winnipesaukee Marine Construction to barge them to ??
Sounds like you've got some pretty big brush too. I wouldn't wade into a 10' pile. Many years ago, we barged out a chipper that would do up to, I think 8". We spread it around like fill and leveled off low spots No burning needed but obviously not a DIY operation.
Descant is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 07:12 PM   #14
ApS

Cool "Swedish Volcano"...

Here's one way to burn cut logs:

https://www.freshoffthegrid.com/swed...n%20the%20side.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 06:59 PM   #15
Poor Richard

I can tell you firsthand that there is a whole lotta wood out there!

Breaking the pile down will ultimately be done in stages as there are two layers...the more recent cuts on top of some older pine logs, sticks, etc that are starting to become embedded as the seasons pass.

I'm into it about a day and a half so far and managed to get nearly all the recent cuts moved and also started clearing the path in front of the dock.

Would have been nice if the folks who did either job managed the cuts a bit better rather than simply pitching everything into one large disorganized pile, in addition to blocking the dock, but it is what it is.

Next visit will be to clear the rounds in front of the dock and start working the embedded pile down.

Also, I'd like to extend a thank you to Keel Holler for the hospitality as well as the transportation to and from the mainland. We'll get that pile knocked down soon enough!
Poor Richard is offline   Reply With Quote