Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2019, 07:19 PM   #1
jetskier
Senior Member
 
jetskier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: North Reading, MA and South Down Shores
Posts: 798
Thanks: 40
Thanked 152 Times in 94 Posts
Post Colonial Theater Funding

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...ece64ec11.html
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 07:51 PM   #2
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 1,879
Thanks: 346
Thanked 454 Times in 302 Posts
Default

Although they do not admit it, this will probably be the end to the restoration project. Terrible news for the revitalization of downtown.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:01 PM   #3
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,222
Thanks: 192
Thanked 474 Times in 350 Posts
Default .... a rainy day for Laconia

Sometimes you win big, and sometimes you looooooooose big!


And sometimes you get rained out. ... ..... just like baseball!


Thursday, May 23, 2019 (same day as today's LaDaSun report): https://www.cdfifund.gov/programs-tr...ment-step.aspx

So, in 2009 the feds said yes to a one million dollar grant for two new clean diesel engines for the Mount Washington through the Cash for Clunkers, EPA program.

And, in 2019 the feds said no to 4.8-million dollar federal tax credits for the Colonial Theatre-Main St renovation through the Treasury Dept. That's like 4.8 mil out of 3.5- billion or 35,000-mil, what they have to work with ..... or 5 out of 35,000 ..... with 34,995 more to offer ... but, it didn't happen.

What a difference ten years can make.

And, Belknap County is the most Republican county, counting state reps and state senators, of all the ten NH counties ..... so how come this got the big red light ...... no?

As you probably know, the rebirth of the Colonial Theatre was planned to help renew and regrow the commercial downtown area for Laconia.
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 05-24-2019 at 04:31 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:02 PM   #4
TheTimeTraveler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 136
Thanks: 20
Thanked 15 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Unless some free money floats down from cloud it appears this vacant, neglected property is doomed to survive.

It's a matter of time before it becomes a safety issue (if it isn't already) and it will be bulldozed and developed into some type of low income housing.
TheTimeTraveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 08:28 PM   #5
Patiently Watching
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 169
Thanks: 1
Thanked 32 Times in 28 Posts
Default

Thank goodness.
$15 million to rehab a dumpy old theater is a huge waste of money - especially in a small, poor town like Laconia with so many other problems.
Is shocking the city loaned money for the purchase...
Patiently Watching is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2019, 12:40 PM   #6
Irish mist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 625
Thanks: 78
Thanked 56 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Sanity finally enforced on Laconia by serendipity. This was a farce from the get-go.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 02:01 PM   #7
8gv
Senior Member
 
8gv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,054
Thanks: 20
Thanked 310 Times in 186 Posts
Default

I concur.

What happens to the loan now?

How will the “lenders” be held accountable?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 12:44 PM   #8
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,222
Thanks: 192
Thanked 474 Times in 350 Posts
Default

From what I have read in newspapers, New Hampshire is one of just a small number, like maybe five states, that pay more to the federal gov than it gets back. So, receiving these 4.5 million dollars in tax credits would have been an extra gain coming from thye federal government.

Will go look for an appropriate link to Wikipedia or somewhere that explains the New Hampshire deficit balance with thye federal government.
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 07:51 AM   #9
dt5150
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 327
Thanks: 3
Thanked 80 Times in 53 Posts
Default

i would love to see the theater restored to its former glory. however, i believe it should be done by someone in the private sector, not by tax payers. we've got much bigger fish to fry.
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dt5150 For This Useful Post:
CTYankee (05-29-2019), WinnisquamZ (05-28-2019)
Old 05-28-2019, 05:08 PM   #10
Crusty
Senior Member
 
Crusty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Columbus OH / Smiths Pt
Posts: 100
Thanks: 80
Thanked 131 Times in 40 Posts
Default

I love the ornate theaters of the past and think that every effort should be made to preserve and restore them. Once gone, they're gone for good. I witnessed the rescue and restoration of the Ohio Theatre in Columbus. Its demolition was scheduled when a local group formed and saved it. You can read about the efforts here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_T...Columbus,_Ohio)

However, one thing that must be considered in saving the Colonial is "what are you going to do with it"?

Once restored, it will need to generate a steady and significant revenue stream to operate and maintain it. This is not something that is going to be a huge attractor of "summer money". To succeed, it must draw and hold local attention.

So, what kind of attractions will, as they say, put Laconians' butts in the seats? Answer that and restoration money will surely follow.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:33 PM   #11
8gv
Senior Member
 
8gv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,054
Thanks: 20
Thanked 310 Times in 186 Posts
Default

Where will the theatre patrons park?
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:18 AM   #12
dt5150
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 327
Thanks: 3
Thanked 80 Times in 53 Posts
Default

now they want to put MORE taxpayer money into the project...

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...9c15c0e8e.html
dt5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:34 AM   #13
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 1,879
Thanks: 346
Thanked 454 Times in 302 Posts
Default

I am all for the revitalization of downtown Laconia but in my opinion to throw good money after bad will only serve to delay or terminate any effort to revitalize the area. Also, I do not see a plan has how the city and Belknap EDC for going to recover their loans and investment in this project.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
stingray (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 10:17 AM   #14
Major
Senior Member
 
Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Laconia
Posts: 473
Thanks: 173
Thanked 288 Times in 132 Posts
Default Invest in the Weirs

I would not spend an additional penny on downtown Laconia. Who is the theater going to attract? Section 8 types, rehab graduates? The fiscally responsible approach is to unload the Colonial theater to a private party, and apply any funds on improving roads, which need help.

I would invest in the Weirs, way before downtown Laconia.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
pondguy (06-12-2019), Top-Water (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 10:37 AM   #15
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 1,879
Thanks: 346
Thanked 454 Times in 302 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
I would not spend an additional penny on downtown Laconia. Who is the theater going to attract? Section 8 types, rehab graduates? The fiscally responsible approach is to unload the Colonial theater to a private party, and apply any funds on improving roads, which need help.

I would invest in the Weirs, way before downtown Laconia.
That to me is a little harsh. Downtown has come a long way in the past 5 years but still has a long way to go. I do think the Colonial will attract visitors to the area and patrons but my concern is it generating enough to pay back the loans in a timely manner. Money can be spent more wisely on other revitalization downtown not just one theatre
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:52 AM   #16
Major
Senior Member
 
Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Laconia
Posts: 473
Thanks: 173
Thanked 288 Times in 132 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
That to me is a little harsh. Downtown has come a long way in the past 5 years but still has a long way to go. I do think the Colonial will attract visitors to the area and patrons but my concern is it generating enough to pay back the loans in a timely manner. Money can be spent more wisely on other revitalization downtown not just one theatre
It is harsh, but the reality is that Laconia is not attracting young families with upsides. It is attracting low-income Section 8 inhabitants and people who have gone through drug treatment. Sometimes the truth is difficult to accept. I work in Kendall Square and go to the Seaport quite often. I don't see a lot of Section 8 housing or rehab centers! In fact quite the opposite. I see a vision of providing an environment to attract the talent being generated by the local colleges to stay in Boston.

I've stated this before, but I feel safer in Boston than I do walking around downtown Laconia. On Monday, on my way to work, I went to CVS on Union Ave/Church Street to purchase a Father's Day card for my dad. As if on cue, two dirt bags riding BMX bikes are hanging around at the entrance, waiting for who knows what. They were obviously living out of the backpacks. They were obviously drug users. I'm sick of it.

Find ways to attract people the right people, and then we can have a discussion on the types of investments that should be made.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:01 AM   #17
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 1,879
Thanks: 346
Thanked 454 Times in 302 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
It is harsh, but the reality is that Laconia is not attracting young families with upsides. It is attracting low-income Section 8 inhabitants and people who have gone through drug treatment. Sometimes the truth is difficult to accept. I work in Kendall Square and go to the Seaport quite often. I don't see a lot of Section 8 housing or rehab centers! In fact quite the opposite. I see a vision of providing an environment to attract the talent being generated by the local colleges to stay in Boston.

I've stated this before, but I feel safer in Boston than I do walking around downtown Laconia. On Monday, on my way to work, I went to CVS on Union Ave/Church Street to purchase a Father's Day card for my dad. As if on cue, two dirt bags riding BMX bikes are hanging around at the entrance, waiting for who knows what. They were obviously living out of the backpacks. They were obviously drug users. I'm sick of it.

Find ways to attract people the right people, and then we can have a discussion on the types of investments that should be made.
You are never going to attract the "right people" without an investment and as with most city revitalization you need to start with the businesses and attractions first to make the city a destination before you can start to remove the section 8 types. That is the exact way it was done in areas in NY such as Harlem Upper Manhattan, and Bed Sty and other areas in Brooklyn that were much much worse than Laconia. May not be an exactly comparison but it gets the point across
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:53 AM   #18
iw8surf
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 71
Thanks: 12
Thanked 24 Times in 18 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
You are never going to attract the "right people" without an investment and as with most city revitalization you need to start with the businesses and attractions first to make the city a destination before you can start to remove the section 8 types. That is the exact way it was done in areas in NY such as Harlem Upper Manhattan, and Bed Sty and other areas in Brooklyn that were much much worse than Laconia. May not be an exactly comparison but it gets the point across
Sinking money into the colonial is not how you attract in my opinion. Like Major said, I actually now live in the Seaport which as most will remember was waste land barely a decade ago. You know what is driving millennials and older folks with good salaries there or areas like Cambridge? Its not the run down colonial theater type places but the education institutes, the start ups and the good paying tech jobs. Those came first, now they are trying to build it into a neighborhood and adding fire stations, libraries etc. Create or invite good industry and there's actual incentive to move and establish a home there. I lived in the Lakes Region on the lake year round in my 20s when I was transferred to Laconia for work, constantly said to my self what am I doing here there is nothing here except old retired people, the lake and work? When searching for a new job there was barely any companies even worth looking at and that was very evident in how my employer treated their employees because guess what, they had nowhere else to go. Making somewhere a destination is exactly that, a place people visit and leave, not stay.
iw8surf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:57 AM   #19
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 1,879
Thanks: 346
Thanked 454 Times in 302 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by iw8surf View Post
Sinking money into the colonial is not how you attract in my opinion. Like Major said, I actually now live in the Seaport which as most will remember was waste land barely a decade ago. You know what is driving millennials and older folks with good salaries there or areas like Cambridge? Its not the run down colonial theater type places but the education institutes, the start ups and the good paying tech jobs. Those came first, now they are trying to build it into a neighborhood and adding fire stations, libraries etc. Create or invite good industry and there's actual incentive to move and establish a home there. I lived in the Lakes Region on the lake year round in my 20s when I was transferred to Laconia for work, constantly said to my self what am I doing here there is nothing here except old retired people, the lake and work? When searching for a new job there was barely any companies even worth looking at and that was very evident in how my employer treated their employees because guess what, they had nowhere else to go. Making somewhere a destination is exactly that, a place people visit and leave, not stay.
I never said put money into the colonial. Read my first post. You need to invest in several businesses and attractions not sunk all the funding into one theatre which will then bring in the working class instead of section 8 types.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:17 PM   #20
Major
Senior Member
 
Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Laconia
Posts: 473
Thanks: 173
Thanked 288 Times in 132 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
You are never going to attract the "right people" without an investment and as with most city revitalization you need to start with the businesses and attractions first to make the city a destination before you can start to remove the section 8 types. That is the exact way it was done in areas in NY such as Harlem Upper Manhattan, and Bed Sty and other areas in Brooklyn that were much much worse than Laconia. May not be an exactly comparison but it gets the point across
I don't necessarily disagree with your statement. However, I think one important difference is that the City of Laconia has gone out of its way to attract Section 8 and rehab types to Laconia by greenlighting lots of projects over the past 5-10 years. The City has exacerbated the problem.

When I refer to right people, I mean people who are willing to work hard and pay taxes, and not look to the government for subsistence. I would prefer that people looking to live off of government (and taxpayer) money to live in cities and towns willing to pay for them. Unfortunately, Laconia is one of those cities. There is no meaning in my reference to right people beyond this concept.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 12:21 PM   #21
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 1,879
Thanks: 346
Thanked 454 Times in 302 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
I don't necessarily disagree with your statement. However, I think one important difference is that the City of Laconia has gone out of its way to attract Section 8 and rehab types to Laconia by greenlighting lots of projects over the past 5-10 years. The City has exacerbated the problem.

When I refer to right people, I mean people who are willing to work hard and pay taxes, and not look to the government for subsistence. I would prefer that people looking to live off of government (and taxpayer) money to live in cities and towns willing to pay for them. Unfortunately, Laconia is one of those cities. There is no meaning in my reference to right people beyond this concept.
We are on the same page especially on your definition of the right people. Investing in the Colonial would not be a wise choice to spend money to revitalize, yes it’s a beautiful building but this project should be privatized and started after the area begins to turn around.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joey2665 For This Useful Post:
Major (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 01:07 PM   #22
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 155
Thanks: 58
Thanked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Not one more dime!


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
Major (06-12-2019), pondguy (06-12-2019)
Old 06-12-2019, 03:51 PM   #23
Irish mist
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 625
Thanks: 78
Thanked 56 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Right on cue the Mayor gets out his shovel & promises to dig deeper....throwing millions more of taxpayer dollars at a run-down theater.

It's inconceivable that this farce keeps moving along. There is no way in the world Laconia has this much money to dump into this theatre without harming what's left of the city budget & the taxpayers' sanity. The Mayor has become Ahab & the theatre has become his white whale. I know the Mayor personally & like him. Good guy, but as I feared, a feckless civil servant.

Six or eight years ago the "leaders' in Laconia made the conscious decision to turn the city into a major rehab center for drugs & a Section-Eight magnet. They succeeded. The city basically gave up on its self, and its future. And by doing this left the dwindling taxpayers' afloat, and on their own.

My family blew out of Laconia years ago when we saw the writing was on the wall. Sold everything, the family home, the rental units & some land that was in the family forever. Sad, but necessary.

Last edited by Irish mist; 06-12-2019 at 05:48 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Irish mist For This Useful Post:
Top-Water (06-12-2019)
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.35047 seconds