Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2021, 04:48 PM   #1
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts
Default Shibley's (Drive-Up)

Pop's and Dockside were closed today (Tuesday), so we tried the Shibley's drive-up across the street from the public docks. Items ordered: seafood platter, chicken fingers, cheeseburger, cheesesteak sub, onion rings, mozza sticks, sodas.

Thoughts: meh. We gave it an 8/10 and have no idea why anyone would choose it over Pop's. At least it was expensive, though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 04:59 PM   #2
8gv

Today we got in line at Red's Eats in Wiscasset ME and waited 1:40 to place our order.

Then it was another 0:20 wait to get our food.

The place came highly recommended with an accurate warning about the wait.

The lobster roll for $36 consisted of two lobsters.

I'd give it a solid 8/10 not considering the wait.

One thing the experience gave me was a new measurement on how I spend my time.

I shall call it the "One Week Rule".

Would I spend my time like this if my demise was just a week away?

Hell no!
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8gv For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-24-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 05:36 PM   #3
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
One thing the experience gave me was a new measurement on how I spend my time.

I shall call it the "One Week Rule".

Would I spend my time like this if my demise was just a week away?

Hell no!
Well, think about it. Give consideration to all of your options!

There was "that guy" who said if he knew he had one week left he would move in with his ex-wife. He stated that she could make a week seem like two months!

Sometimes you don't know how well you have it!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
christo1 (08-26-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 05:44 PM   #4
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post

The lobster roll for $36 consisted of two lobsters.

I'd give it a solid 8/10 not considering the wait.
I have not been, but from what I've read, I'm surprised it's only an 8. Are all these people wrong? Maybe they are loved for the size of their rolls not the quality? Please advise on superior lobster rolls and why. Thanks!
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 09:42 PM   #5
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
Pop's and Dockside were closed today (Tuesday), so we tried the Shibley's drive-up across the street from the public docks. Items ordered: seafood platter, chicken fingers, cheeseburger, cheesesteak sub, onion rings, mozza sticks, sodas.

Thoughts: meh. We gave it an 8/10 and have no idea why anyone would choose it over Pop's. At least it was expensive, though.

Interesting, I would rate either as good, not outstanding, but solid, though neither better than the other and Pops must lost some points for being a to-go side of the road food stand, not a real restaurant with table service. Not quite equivalent.

That said, when we want something to go to eat on the boat, its a coin toss for either place, and often ends up coming down to simple rotation, we switch each time but you cant go wrong at either place.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2021, 07:16 AM   #6
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCR-700 View Post
Interesting, I would rate either as good, not outstanding, but solid, though neither better than the other and Pops must lost some points for being a to-go side of the road food stand, not a real restaurant with table service. Not quite equivalent.

That said, when we want something to go to eat on the boat, its a coin toss for either place, and often ends up coming down to simple rotation, we switch each time but you cant go wrong at either place.
I can't tell for sure, but it reads like you think I'm comparing the sit-down Shibley's on the water with Pop's/Dockside? I'm talking about the takeout stand across the street. Oh, unless you mean mixing Dockside, a sit-down, in there?

In any case, I won't be going back to Shibley's takeout (I've never tried the sit-down) unless the other options are closed. Pop's smokes it, and Dockside, while not yet totally in the clear, has been stellar enough to choose over Shibley's takeout.

The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (08-25-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 08:48 AM   #7
TheTimeTraveler

Shibley's and Dockside can't really meet the take out speed and quality of Pop's.

Why? Pop's is ONLY a high speed take out operation. Every food order is a take out order whether a customer uses the table benches on site or drives it away for consumption elsewhere.

I've heard many stories of folks going to a typical restaurant and placing a take out order. Complaints arise starting with the person taking the order, speed of fulfilling the order, and quality of the order. This doesn't happen at Pop's. Every single order IS a take out order and the quality and speed remains unchanged.

Pop's deserves a lot of credit for not letting his quality and service lapse during these difficult times.

Now, has anyone heard of how the Restaurant is doing that took over the Chinese Restaurant at Alton Bay?
TheTimeTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheTimeTraveler For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (08-25-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 09:59 AM   #8
Sue Doe-Nym

Default Perfect solution….fo us

We have a perfect solution for our family, and it’s very simple: instead of being miserable, waiting in line for mediocre service and food, we fire up the grill right here, do burgers, marinated steak tips and/ or boneless chicken, whip up an easy salad, and voila! Easy meal, no long wait, and a wonderful view of the lake. That’s our solution until things improve in the restaurant business. This might not work for everyone, but it suits us fine.
Sue Doe-Nym is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 10:18 AM   #9
FlyingScot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
We have a perfect solution for our family, and it’s very simple: instead of being miserable, waiting in line for mediocre service and food, we fire up the grill right here, do burgers, marinated steak tips and/ or boneless chicken, whip up an easy salad, and voila! Easy meal, no long wait, and a wonderful view of the lake. That’s our solution until things improve in the restaurant business. This might not work for everyone, but it suits us fine.
I "hate" to admit it, but this has worked extremely well for us this year too. Never have we eaten out less, or had better dinners overall.

Don't forget fish from Capt Bart, and the local corn's been great the past week or two.
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2021, 11:16 AM   #10
eyenotall777

Default Freshwater Cafe F/N/A JP China

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler View Post
Shibley's and Dockside can't really meet the take out speed and quality of Pop's.

Why? Pop's is ONLY a high speed take out operation. Every food order is a take out order whether a customer uses the table benches on site or drives it away for consumption elsewhere.

I've heard many stories of folks going to a typical restaurant and placing a take out order. Complaints arise starting with the person taking the order, speed of fulfilling the order, and quality of the order. This doesn't happen at Pop's. Every single order IS a take out order and the quality and speed remains unchanged.

Pop's deserves a lot of credit for not letting his quality and service lapse during these difficult times.

Now, has anyone heard of how the Restaurant is doing that took over the Chinese Restaurant at Alton Bay?
The Freshwater Cafe as of 8/23 announced that they are closed for the foreseeable future. Never even got the Tavern Side Open. There is now a For Lease Sign for the Restaurant on the Front Stairs posted. The Freshwater Cafe is have great reviews listed for the short time they were open.
eyenotall777 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eyenotall777 For This Useful Post:
TheTimeTraveler (08-25-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 09:07 AM   #11
XCR-700

Quote:
I can't tell for sure, but it reads like you think I'm comparing the sit-down Shibley's on the water with Pop's/Dockside? I'm talking about the takeout stand across the street. Oh, unless you mean mixing Dockside, a sit-down, in there?

In any case, I won't be going back to Shibley's takeout (I've never tried the sit-down) unless the other options are closed. Pop's smokes it, and Dockside, while not yet totally in the clear, has been stellar enough to choose over Shibley's takeout.

When traveling by boat to Alton and getting lunch, we rotate between Pops and Shibleys Dockside. Shibleys Dockside does a great job packing to go orders and the food has been good every time.

Regarding any food at Shibleys ice cream stand, I cant speak to that, never eaten anything there, the Dockside is easier to get to and back to the boat and the food has always met our expectations.
Old 08-26-2021, 11:38 AM   #12
gillygirl

Quote:
When traveling by boat to Alton and getting lunch, we rotate between Pops and Shibleys Dockside. Shibleys Dockside does a great job packing to go orders and the food has been good every time.

Regarding any food at Shibleys ice cream stand, I cant speak to that, never eaten anything there, the Dockside is easier to get to and back to the boat and the food has always met our expectations.
Now I’m totally confused. I thought Shibleys and Dockside were two different things.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 08-26-2021, 11:50 AM   #13
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
Now I’m totally confused. I thought Shibleys and Dockside were two different things.

They are I think he is referring to Shibleys Resturant as Shibleys Dockside as opposed to the Dockside Restaurant at the very end of Alton Bay

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 12:04 PM   #14
thinkxingu

To clear up any confusion about places we're talking about:
Shibley's on the water.
Shibley's drive-in, which is across the street next to the public bathrooms.
Dockside restaurant, which is a walk across Alton Bay from the public docks.
Pop's, which is consistently awesome and much better than Shibley's drive-in.

Old 08-26-2021, 12:17 PM   #15
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

Shibley's (on the water) is actually called Shibley's at the Pier
https://www.shibleysatthepier.com/

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 12:57 PM   #16
thinkxingu

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post
Shibley's (on the water) is actually called Shibley's at the Pier

https://www.shibleysatthepier.com/
Thanks for the clarification.
How does the food at Shibley's at the Pier compare to Shibley's drive-in?

Old 08-26-2021, 01:11 PM   #17
pondguy

Victoria Pier from days gone by
pondguy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pondguy For This Useful Post:
TiltonBB (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 02:36 PM   #18
gillygirl

Quote:
Dockside restaurant, which is a walk across Alton Bay from the public docks.
But only if you're Jesus.

FlyingScot (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 03:06 PM   #19
XCR-700

Yup, now I'm totally confused. No doubt its my confusion,,,

Sorry still think of some places by their older names "Baileys" "Olde Bay Diner" "B Mays" "Johns" Dots" etc, so that causes some confusion.

And in other cases we may have our own family butchered versions of names such as "Shibleys dockside", as it is at the docks.

I have never had food at Shibleys "ice Cream stand", only ice cream.

We do get food to go from both Pops and Shibleys restaurant that is right on the water. Shibleys restaurant has good food and does a great job packing it for us to take to the boat. Havent been disappointed in Pops or Shibleys yet, and consider the quality of food and service at both places to be very similar and certainly good enough to take back to the boat for an enjoyable lunch on the boat.

Sorry I have eaten anywhere actually called the Dockside, is that a newer name? Am I missing out on another Alton waterfront food option???

Still miss B Mays and the very long ago donut shop in Alton next to the mini golf/across from the general store. Never remember the name of the donut shop,,,
Old 08-26-2021, 04:04 PM   #20
joey2665

Thanked 1,007 Times in 648 Posts

Quote:
Yup, now I'm totally confused. No doubt its my confusion,,,

Sorry still think of some places by their older names "Baileys" "Olde Bay Diner" "B Mays" "Johns" Dots" etc, so that causes some confusion.

And in other cases we may have our own family butchered versions of names such as "Shibleys dockside", as it is at the docks.

I have never had food at Shibleys "ice Cream stand", only ice cream.

We do get food to go from both Pops and Shibleys restaurant that is right on the water. Shibleys restaurant has good food and does a great job packing it for us to take to the boat. Havent been disappointed in Pops or Shibleys yet, and consider the quality of food and service at both places to be very similar and certainly good enough to take back to the boat for an enjoyable lunch on the boat.

Sorry I have eaten anywhere actually called the Dockside, is that a newer name? Am I missing out on another Alton waterfront food option???

Still miss B Mays and the very long ago donut shop in Alton next to the mini golf/across from the general store. Never remember the name of the donut shop,,,
Dockside is where 28A and 11 meet just across from the Alton Town Beach
joey2665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2021, 04:19 PM   #21
XCR-700

Was it called something else before?
Old 08-26-2021, 06:02 PM   #22
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:

The doughnut shop was the Blue Jay. And yes, they were excellent!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 06:17 PM   #23
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Wow, that is a name from the past. I had a friend who make those donuts for a while.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
XCR-700 (08-26-2021)
Old 08-26-2021, 07:17 PM   #24
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
I'm sure I have a photo of it, but the family photos are literally boxes full from the 1980's back to maybe the 1930's and its a major undertaking to even look through them. Lots of photos of family vacationing in the White Mountains and at Winnipesaukee.

No idea why I even keep most of them as I dont know most of the people, but I feel like its my job to hang on to them.

No doubt my kids will look at the boxes full of ancient pictures and just throw them out when I'm gone,,,
Old 08-27-2021, 06:53 AM   #25
mcdude

Thanked 1,041 Times in 489 Posts

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mcdude For This Useful Post:
TheTimeTraveler (08-27-2021), XCR-700 (08-27-2021)
Old 08-27-2021, 08:02 AM   #26
XCR-700

Yup that the place!

We should be so lucky to have donuts that good today,,,

The 2 very best smells in Alton Bay in 1960s were the fresh donuts and the white gas and 2 cycle oil at Downings. Back then gasoline didnt smell nasty like it does today. Probably less additives, but then I believe thats what "white" gas meant, no lead, no anything.

It was certainly a simpler time, and in many ways a better time, but some things cant really be compared they are just too different.

Good memories.

Thanks for posting the picture, perfect end to the week and near end to summer as August winds down (already,,,).
Old 08-27-2021, 11:28 AM   #27
pondguy

That second picture reminds me of Mrs. Robinson playing on the jukebox in the small arcade in with the mini golf. Great memories !
pondguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:23 AM   #28
weim2

Quote:
Was it called something else before?
Yes, that Dockside used to be called The Myrtle Ann in the 60’s. My brothers worked there.
weim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2021, 08:25 AM   #29
weim2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdude View Post

I worked there when it was pizza and subs in 60’s and early 70’s for Connie and Al. 5 summers. So did my husband on the golf course and my sister in law in mid 60’s.
Old 08-31-2021, 08:30 AM   #30
weim2

And Pop’s was called Andrew’s i think originally. And who built Shibley’s Drive In originally??
Old 09-06-2021, 04:53 PM   #31
LakeDad

Quote:

Shibley's drive in has a "house haddock sandwich" with cheese and it's illogically good. I order it every time I go.
LakeDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2021, 07:01 PM   #32
barefootbay

Quote:
Originally Posted by weim2 View Post
And Pop’s was called Andrew’s i think originally. And who built Shibley’s Drive In originally??
That is correct. Many more years ago than I like to think about !
barefootbay is offline   Reply With Quote