Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Covid-19 Discussions & Information
Home Forums Gallery Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Links Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2020, 01:57 PM   #101
Newbiesaukee
Senior Member
 
Newbiesaukee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Coral Gables, winter; Long Island, summer
Posts: 1,099
Thanks: 682
Thanked 420 Times in 211 Posts
Default

Being panicked and doing your job are not mutually exclusive.
__________________


"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline  
Old 03-28-2020, 02:18 PM   #102
4 for Boating
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 130
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Seems to me that what this is highlighting is the further need for the US to try to bring back manufacturing of critical supplies, resources and drugs ingredients and become more self sufficient.

I think I have heard that before somewhere...
4 for Boating is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to 4 for Boating For This Useful Post:
Resident 2B (03-28-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 02:28 PM   #103
C-Bass
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 69
Thanks: 1
Thanked 25 Times in 13 Posts
Default

$1.49 at the Irving in Moultonborough.
C-Bass is offline  
Old 03-28-2020, 05:30 PM   #104
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,333
Thanks: 919
Thanked 998 Times in 592 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Bass View Post
$1.49 at the Irving in Moultonborough.
I almost stopped to fill up, but I only needed 4 or 5 gallons. $2.24 at home, still. Sad face!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline  
Old 03-28-2020, 08:24 PM   #105
StevenGilford
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 120
Thanks: 8
Thanked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenGilford View Post
Almost 500 deaths today

I hope everyone now agrees that COVID-19 is worse than the regular flu. It's now just a case of narrowing in on just how much worse it is.

The World Health Organization is reporting a mortality rate of 4.6% based on worldwide confirmed positives and deaths. We know this is likely to be the extreme upper bound of the mortality rate due to under reporting and lack of testing.

In the US the current mortality rate based on known infections is 1.9%, with the same caveats as above.

On Wednesday March 11th, Fauci told the House Oversight and Reform Committee "COVID-19 is at least 10 times “more lethal” than the seasonal flu" which would be at least a 1% mortality rate.

Still think we are overreacting?
StevenGilford is offline  
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2020, 09:31 PM   #106
Seaplane Pilot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 975
Thanks: 430
Thanked 678 Times in 252 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenGilford View Post
Almost 500 deaths today

I hope everyone now agrees that COVID-19 is worse than the regular flu. It's now just a case of narrowing in on just how much worse it is.

The World Health Organization is reporting a mortality rate of 4.6% based on worldwide confirmed positives and deaths. We know this is likely to be the extreme upper bound of the mortality rate due to under reporting and lack of testing.

In the US the current mortality rate based on known infections is 1.9%, with the same caveats as above.

On Wednesday March 11th, Fauci told the House Oversight and Reform Committee "COVID-19 is at least 10 times “more lethal” than the seasonal flu" which would be at least a 1% mortality rate.

Still think we are overreacting?
“Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.“ General John Stark.
Seaplane Pilot is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
Major (03-28-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 09:42 PM   #107
Major
Senior Member
 
Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Laconia
Posts: 854
Thanks: 352
Thanked 826 Times in 338 Posts
Default Back to business by Easter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenGilford View Post
Almost 500 deaths today

I hope everyone now agrees that COVID-19 is worse than the regular flu. It's now just a case of narrowing in on just how much worse it is.

The World Health Organization is reporting a mortality rate of 4.6% based on worldwide confirmed positives and deaths. We know this is likely to be the extreme upper bound of the mortality rate due to under reporting and lack of testing.

In the US the current mortality rate based on known infections is 1.9%, with the same caveats as above.

On Wednesday March 11th, Fauci told the House Oversight and Reform Committee "COVID-19 is at least 10 times “more lethal” than the seasonal flu" which would be at least a 1% mortality rate.

Still think we are overreacting?

More than ever. I shudder to think how we will react to a real crisis in which our liberties and freedoms are at stake. Fauci’s a hack. I’m confident he’s not worried about whether he’s going to receive his next paycheck. Not like my son who is furloughed for three months and worried about whether he has a job to return to after all this nonsense.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Major is offline  
Old 03-28-2020, 09:43 PM   #108
StevenGilford
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 120
Thanks: 8
Thanked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
“Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.“ General John Stark.
You're happy for 3.6million or more Americans to needlessly die? It's fine if you do, everyone is entitled to an opinion. I find it abhorrent, but it's fine.
StevenGilford is offline  
Old 03-28-2020, 09:44 PM   #109
Major
Senior Member
 
Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Laconia
Posts: 854
Thanks: 352
Thanked 826 Times in 338 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenGilford View Post
You're happy for 3.6million or more Americans to needlessly die? It's fine if you do, everyone is entitled to an opinion. I find it abhorrent, but it's fine.

Fake news.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Major is offline  
Old 03-28-2020, 09:44 PM   #110
SailinAway
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 100
Thanks: 31
Thanked 60 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
“Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.“ General John Stark.
The worst evil I can think of at the moment is dying alone on a cot in a makeshift "hospital" in a gymnasium because there's no ventilator that could save my life . . . because my government failed to prepare for a pandemic ages ago, when it knew it was unprepared and knew that a pandemic was inevitable at some point, and failed to take timely action when it was clear that a pandemic was developing.
SailinAway is offline  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SailinAway For This Useful Post:
Biggd (03-29-2020), BrownstoneNorth (03-30-2020), FlyingScot (03-29-2020), gillygirl (03-28-2020), Pricestavern (03-29-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 09:46 PM   #111
StevenGilford
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 120
Thanks: 8
Thanked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
More than ever. I shudder to think how we will react to a real crisis in which our liberties and freedoms are at stake. Fauci’s a hack. I’m confident he’s not worried about whether he’s going to receive his next paycheck. Not like my son who is furloughed for three months and worried about whether he has a job to return to after all this nonsense.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
But no alternative sources of facts? Do you accept the facts but just don't care? Your son's next 3 paychecks is more important to you than the lives of 3.6million or more Americans?

Same as above, great for you if that's your outlook on life. I find it abhorrent, but you're welcome to your opinion.
StevenGilford is offline  
Old 03-28-2020, 09:48 PM   #112
StevenGilford
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 120
Thanks: 8
Thanked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
Fake news.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Oh dear. Oh well. I tried but with people like you there is no reasoning. Enjoy your Fox News / OANN bubble, and your "I got mines, screw everyone else" attitude.
StevenGilford is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to StevenGilford For This Useful Post:
Biggd (03-29-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 09:48 PM   #113
SailinAway
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 100
Thanks: 31
Thanked 60 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
Fauci’s a hack.
Which epidemiologist, in your opinion is NOT a hack? What expert should we listen to? Please post a link to a scientist or epidemiologist who you think is credible. You are reading the scientific evidence, are you not? I assume you are, because you project yourself as so well informed about the level of threat.

"Medical Expert Who Corrects Trump Is Now a Target of the Far Right": https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/28/t...gtype=Homepage

"An analysis by The New York Times found over 70 accounts on Twitter that have promoted the hashtag #FauciFraud, with some tweeting as frequently as 795 times a day. The anti-Fauci sentiment is being reinforced by posts from Tom Fitton, the president of Judicial Watch, a conservative group; Bill Mitchell, host of the far-right online talk show “YourVoice America”; and other outspoken Trump supporters such as Shiva Ayyadurai, who has falsely claimed to be the inventor of email.

"Many of the anti-Fauci posts . . . have been retweeted thousands of times. On YouTube, conspiracy-theory videos about Dr. Fauci have racked up hundreds of thousands of views in the past week. In private Facebook groups, posts disparaging him have also been shared hundreds of times and liked by thousands of people, according to the Times analysis. . . . The campaign against Dr. Fauci stands out because he is one of the world’s leading infectious disease experts."
SailinAway is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SailinAway For This Useful Post:
Biggd (03-29-2020), FlyingScot (03-29-2020), WinnisquamZ (03-28-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 09:53 PM   #114
Major
Senior Member
 
Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Laconia
Posts: 854
Thanks: 352
Thanked 826 Times in 338 Posts
Default Back to business by Easter

I’ll bet you my house 3,200,000 Americans will not die from this. We’re at 2000, a long way from 3,200,000. Hyperbolic!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Major is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
BoatHouse (03-29-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 09:58 PM   #115
SailinAway
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 100
Thanks: 31
Thanked 60 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
I’ll bet you my house 3,200,000 Americans will not die from this. We’re at 2000, a long way from 3,200,000. Hyperbolic!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll bet MY house that you can't provide any credible scientific evidence to support your claim that COVOID-19 isn't a real crisis. I can't decide whether you're a troll or just a very socially immature narcissist.
SailinAway is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SailinAway For This Useful Post:
Biggd (03-29-2020), gillygirl (03-28-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 09:59 PM   #116
StevenGilford
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 120
Thanks: 8
Thanked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
3,200,000 Americans will not die from this.
I agree. Because of the reaction (that you call an overreaction).

If we do nothing until it's too late, like you seem to advocate, then 3.2million+ will die from the virus, exacerbated by the overwhelming of the medical system.
StevenGilford is offline  
Old 03-28-2020, 10:06 PM   #117
Major
Senior Member
 
Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Laconia
Posts: 854
Thanks: 352
Thanked 826 Times in 338 Posts
Default Back to business by Easter

You know what I find abhorrent? That there are American citizens so willing to give up their rights because politicians and government hacks tell them to do so and sound authoritative while doing it. You can cower in Gilford. That’s your right. But don’t go telling me that you have all the so-called facts because pointy headed Washington bureaucrats are crying that the sky is falling.

And you bet my a$$ I care a lot more about my son than some jerk from Gilford.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Major is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
bman60 (03-29-2020), MAXUM (03-29-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 10:12 PM   #118
StevenGilford
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 120
Thanks: 8
Thanked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
And you bet my a$$ I care a lot more about my son than some jerk from Gilford.
And this is the problem right here. This is not a me versus you issue, and the fact that you think it is, is very very sad.
StevenGilford is offline  
Old 03-28-2020, 10:27 PM   #119
ApS
Senior Member
 
ApS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Winnipesaukee & Florida
Posts: 4,799
Thanks: 1,246
Thanked 541 Times in 378 Posts
Arrow Jobs in Washington State...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
I can understand the government wanting to help its distressed citizens, but why should any money go to corporations?

They don't vote, they can't contract the coronavirus. Oh, and how in hell is the treasury going to come up with an extra two trillion dollars? The national deficit mounts and nobody, but nobody, seems to care. It's almost enough to make me think fondly of Bill Clinton: at least he knew what a balanced budget was.
Boeing has asked suppliers to prepare for a resumption of production of 737-Max by May, 2020.
https://www.thestreet.com/investing/...-by-may-report
ApS is offline  
Old 03-28-2020, 11:04 PM   #120
gillygirl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 466
Thanks: 618
Thanked 197 Times in 122 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
“Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.“ General John Stark.
You go first!


Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
__________________
GG
gillygirl is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gillygirl For This Useful Post:
Biggd (03-29-2020), JanN (03-29-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 11:08 PM   #121
gillygirl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 466
Thanks: 618
Thanked 197 Times in 122 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
Fauci’s a hack.
Above all else, this proves you’re a dolt.


Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
__________________
GG
gillygirl is offline  
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gillygirl For This Useful Post:
BrownstoneNorth (03-30-2020), kawishiwi (03-28-2020), Leoskeys (03-29-2020), luckypete (03-29-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 11:13 PM   #122
gillygirl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 466
Thanks: 618
Thanked 197 Times in 122 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
Which epidemiologist, in your opinion is NOT a hack? What expert should we listen to? Please post a link to a scientist or epidemiologist who you think is credible. You are reading the scientific evidence, are you not? I assume you are, because you project yourself as so well informed about the level of threat.
You are giving him way too much credit as to being informed.


Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
__________________
GG
gillygirl is offline  
Old 03-28-2020, 11:16 PM   #123
Winilyme
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Ice in = CT / Ice out = Winnipesaukee
Posts: 113
Thanks: 26
Thanked 95 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
You know what I find abhorrent? That there are American citizens so willing to give up their rights because politicians and government hacks tell them to do so and sound authoritative while doing it. You can cower in Gilford. That’s your right. But don’t go telling me that you have all the so-called facts because pointy headed Washington bureaucrats are crying that the sky is falling.

And you bet my a$$ I care a lot more about my son than some jerk from Gilford.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
And now it comes down to school yard name-calling.

Major, your hard-headed opinions do liven up the forum. But when you are long on opinion and short on facts, ignorant of what's happening 300 miles south of the lake, and immediately dismissive of alternative viewpoints with little concrete evidence to support your own, you are hardly complementing yourself. It feels like all you care about is, well, you.

I'm guessing you find it impossible to believe but there actually are authorities on this subject matter that just might be a tad more educated than you are.
Winilyme is offline  
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Winilyme For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (03-28-2020), Leoskeys (03-29-2020), luckypete (03-29-2020), SailinAway (03-29-2020), Winnigirl (03-29-2020), winniplayhouse (03-31-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 11:23 PM   #124
gillygirl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 466
Thanks: 618
Thanked 197 Times in 122 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winilyme View Post
And now it comes down to school yard name-calling.

Major, your hard-headed opinions do liven up the forum. But when you are long on opinion and short on facts, ignorant of what's happening 300 miles south of the lake, and immediately dismissive of alternative viewpoints with little concrete evidence to support your own, you are hardly complementing yourself. It feels like all you care about is, well, you.

I'm guessing you find it impossible to believe but there actually are authorities on this subject matter that just might be a tad more educated than you are.
He claims to be an engineer. I have experienced many engineers who throw out the facts as noise.


Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
__________________
GG
gillygirl is offline  
Old 03-28-2020, 11:27 PM   #125
coolyourjets
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 58
Thanks: 17
Thanked 46 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
More than ever. I shudder to think how we will react to a real crisis in which our liberties and freedoms are at stake. Fauci’s a hack. I’m confident he’s not worried about whether he’s going to receive his next paycheck. Not like my son who is furloughed for three months and worried about whether he has a job to return to after all this nonsense.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Since you are an expert on H1N1, COVID and seemingly pretty much everything, maybe you should have guided your son into a career that’s more rescission or catastrophe-proof. Many industries are hiring at a blazing clip, I’m sure it’s not too late to change careers.

I assume that with your view of this being unnecessary or an overreaction, you or any member of your family will hold the line and be deferring care if you should catch this virus? Or, will that be your line in the sand?


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
coolyourjets is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coolyourjets For This Useful Post:
LoveLakeLife (03-29-2020), luckypete (03-29-2020)
Old 03-28-2020, 11:50 PM   #126
kawishiwi
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 520
Thanks: 226
Thanked 167 Times in 108 Posts
Default Heres a few facts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
Thanks Major. The liberal fear-mongers hate the facts. All I can picture is the scene from the Wizard of Oz when the Wicked Witch has water dumped on her. “I’m melting, I’m melting”!!! Facts are to liberals, as water was to the witch.
Being desperately ignorant of mathematics is not uncommon or really your fault. Exponential math can be a challenge!
Swallowing the nonsense coming out of the white house & guzzling the fox news cool-aid IS however your fault completely. Reacting to any info you don't feel good about by labeling it 'fake news' is really just immature and may work for you until reality bites you in the ...

Heres a few facts...

Reported U.S. daily deaths
Thur 26th : 293
Fri 27th : 401
Sat 28th : 525
Sun 29th : ?

These are not updated totals of the dead, but new deaths each day.

Quiz: do you see a pattern here? (hint:exponential math)
__________________
"I don't take responsibility at all."
kawishiwi is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kawishiwi For This Useful Post:
Leoskeys (03-29-2020), winniplayhouse (03-31-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 06:59 AM   #127
winterh
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 117
Thanks: 2
Thanked 52 Times in 20 Posts
Default

Seems to me the truth lies somewhere in the middle of the "We are all going to die from the virus" and "The virus is nothing to worry about". No rational person (are there any of these left?) would object to many of the precautions we have taken so far. On the other hand the side that thinks we can shut down the economy for months on end while the government feeds and takes care of us like we are farm animals has no concept of economics. A middle ground must be found and thats the line I see the administration trying to take. I have used the analogy and I am sure you have heard it elsewhere before of the speed limit. Thousands die every year in car accidents. We could eliminate every death with a 10 MPH speed limit. Why don't we? Don't you care that people die! Life is about tradeoffs is the answer. Every decision must balance the cost vs the benefits.
winterh is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to winterh For This Useful Post:
Leoskeys (03-29-2020), Paugus Bay Resident (03-29-2020), Top-Water (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 07:12 AM   #128
MAXUM
Senior Member
 
MAXUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hooksett, NH & Bear Island, NH
Posts: 2,401
Thanks: 232
Thanked 1,637 Times in 667 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
Your post encourages me because I'm pretty sure I'm going to outlive you, since you probably aren't going to be taking precautions to protect yourself from this fake pandemic. On the other hand, there's a high likelihood that your disbelief is going to kill me.
I was exposed to far worse deadlier things in Desert Storm and Somalia and survived just fine while in the military.

I'm sorry I don't go all mental like you people do and cower inside my little safe space wrapped up in toilet paper and disinfectant wipes. Ya know a very high percentage of people actually survive this.
MAXUM is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
winterh (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 07:16 AM   #129
MAXUM
Senior Member
 
MAXUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hooksett, NH & Bear Island, NH
Posts: 2,401
Thanks: 232
Thanked 1,637 Times in 667 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawishiwi View Post
Being desperately ignorant of mathematics is not uncommon or really your fault. Exponential math can be a challenge!
Swallowing the nonsense coming out of the white house & guzzling the fox news cool-aid IS however your fault completely. Reacting to any info you don't feel good about by labeling it 'fake news' is really just immature and may work for you until reality bites you in the ...

Heres a few facts...

Reported U.S. daily deaths
Thur 26th : 293
Fri 27th : 401
Sat 28th : 525
Sun 29th : ?

These are not updated totals of the dead, but new deaths each day.

Quiz: do you see a pattern here? (hint:exponential math)
Can you please now extrapolate that into a carbon footprint savings please? I want to know how much this will effect man made climate change, in a good way of course! This is actually exciting isn't it? I'm figuring at this rate we may be able to extend the - "we are all dead in 12 years" claim.
MAXUM is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 07:24 AM   #130
winterh
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 117
Thanks: 2
Thanked 52 Times in 20 Posts
Default

We could all use a laugh right now. This is an awesome takedown of the everyone will die crowd.

https://reason.com/video/remy-people-will-die/
winterh is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to winterh For This Useful Post:
MAXUM (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 07:26 AM   #131
Major
Senior Member
 
Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Laconia
Posts: 854
Thanks: 352
Thanked 826 Times in 338 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post
He claims to be an engineer. I have experienced many engineers who throw out the facts as noise.


Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WPI, class of ‘87. Mechanical engineering.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Major is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
MAXUM (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 07:28 AM   #132
MAXUM
Senior Member
 
MAXUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hooksett, NH & Bear Island, NH
Posts: 2,401
Thanks: 232
Thanked 1,637 Times in 667 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
WPI, class of ‘87. Mechanical engineering.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In case anyone is wondering that's no community college.
MAXUM is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 07:36 AM   #133
jeffk
Senior Member
 
jeffk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Center Harbor
Posts: 906
Thanks: 163
Thanked 269 Times in 152 Posts
Default

If you want a discussion of "facts", HERE is a good article that clearly discusses the difficulty of getting useful information at this time.

It has nothing to do with who is speaking or where they get their numbers or their reliability or smartness. There are simply too many moving parts and too much uncertainty to get numbers to plug in that give accurate answers. Garbage in (even if you think the numbers going in are right, they are not, per the article), Garbage out. This is being verified by the experts as their expectations are NOT being borne out by boots on the ground realities.

We do not know if this is going to be a typical seasonal flu impact or a bad pandemic. We do not know if the reaction to it is too much, too little, or just right. People are digging in to pick "winners" or "losers" of intentions or reactions based on personal favorites and politics. We CANNOT decide certainties based on data because the data and models based on it is shifting sand.

My gut tells me that the extremes are wrong. We will struggle but it will not be a disaster. We need to be nimble and react to changing realities. We need to work on being prepared.

In the end, those who were "right" about the course of this virus will be so because of luck, not knowledge.
jeffk is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffk For This Useful Post:
Leoskeys (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 07:39 AM   #134
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,333
Thanks: 919
Thanked 998 Times in 592 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
WPI, class of ‘87. Mechanical engineering.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Was engineering even a thing in the 80's?!

I think balance is key in most things. The problem is that finding balance in America is almost impossible, so extremes are used to move the needle. Historical movements and policies show this over and over.

So, while a "let's keep the spread to a minimum" request should result in people keeping a safe distance, not congregating in big groups, cleaning and washing hands thoroughly, staying in as much as possible, etc. it has resulted in "shut the world down" for some and "don't tread on me" for others.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 07:54 AM   #135
StevenGilford
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 120
Thanks: 8
Thanked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
If you want a discussion of "facts", HERE is a good article that clearly discusses the difficulty of getting useful information at this time.

It has nothing to do with who is speaking or where they get their numbers or their reliability or smartness. There are simply too many moving parts and too much uncertainty to get numbers to plug in that give accurate answers. Garbage in (even if you think the numbers going in are right, they are not, per the article), Garbage out. This is being verified by the experts as their expectations are NOT being borne out by boots on the ground realities.

We do not know if this is going to be a typical seasonal flu impact or a bad pandemic. We do not know if the reaction to it is too much, too little, or just right. People are digging in to pick "winners" or "losers" of intentions or reactions based on personal favorites and politics. We CANNOT decide certainties based on data because the data and models based on it is shifting sand.

My gut tells me that the extremes are wrong. We will struggle but it will not be a disaster. We need to be nimble and react to changing realities. We need to work on being prepared.

In the end, those who were "right" about the course of this virus will be so because of luck, not knowledge.
I’m glad you put “facts” in quotations marks because you really should when quoting a conservative blog.

Coronavirus: Dr Deborah Birx making ‘fundamental scientific errors’ in rush to reopen US, warns expert behind White House data

“A leading US epidemiologist has accused one of the doctors on the White House’s coronavirus task force of “false reassurance” after she said a model he helped develop to predict the spread of the virus overstated the number of people likely to develop Covid-19 – when in fact it referred to something more like a best-case scenario.”
StevenGilford is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to StevenGilford For This Useful Post:
SailinAway (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 08:01 AM   #136
StevenGilford
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 120
Thanks: 8
Thanked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Default

So in summary:

Some people still don’t believe the virus is real

Some people believe the virus is just a flu

Some people believe the virus is more than a flu but won’t kill many people

Some people believe the virus is more than a flu and will kill some people but so what?

Some people believe the virus is more than a flu and might kill a lot of people, but working and making money is more important

Experts believe that best case model projections this virus is a lot worse than the flu and the containment measures we are taking are completely necessary

Experts believe that the worst cast model projections this virus is really bad and more containment measures are likely to be necessary


I don’t know about you all, but with faced with these “facts”, I don’t think we should take the middle ground between Deniers and Best Case Models. We should be preparing to cope with the worst case expert models and desperately hoping that the best case models prove true. We should not be preparing for the best case models and hoping the denier nutballs prove true.
StevenGilford is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StevenGilford For This Useful Post:
Biggd (03-29-2020), SailinAway (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 08:21 AM   #137
Newbiesaukee
Senior Member
 
Newbiesaukee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Coral Gables, winter; Long Island, summer
Posts: 1,099
Thanks: 682
Thanked 420 Times in 211 Posts
Default

It is so much easier to bask in the glow of absolute certainty regardless of reality

than to accept the humility of the wise who seek truth recognizing it is absolutely

not totally attainable but is the best path to real knowledge and effective action.


Wishing and hoping ain’t no match for thinking and doing.
__________________


"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Newbiesaukee For This Useful Post:
SailinAway (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 08:30 AM   #138
StevenGilford
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 120
Thanks: 8
Thanked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Also, to preempt the next line of logical acrobatics, that Trump has already used to some extent:

"StevenGilford wants to shut down the whole US economy for 2 years to blow up our economy and stop Trump getting elected!"

No, not in the slightest.

I want the US economy to get back up and running as soon as we identify the true curves and numbers, and have confidence that our mitigation strategies are robust enough to manage the spread and impact based on input and guidance from multiple experts.
StevenGilford is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to StevenGilford For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 08:54 AM   #139
MAXUM
Senior Member
 
MAXUM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Hooksett, NH & Bear Island, NH
Posts: 2,401
Thanks: 232
Thanked 1,637 Times in 667 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenGilford View Post
Also, to preempt the next line of logical acrobatics, that Trump has already used to some extent:

"StevenGilford wants to shut down the whole US economy for 2 years to blow up our economy and stop Trump getting elected!"

No, not in the slightest.

I want the US economy to get back up and running as soon as we identify the true curves and numbers, and have confidence that our mitigation strategies are robust enough to manage the spread and impact based on input and guidance from multiple experts.
Here's the problem with "guidance from multiple experts"

None of them know what the hell they are talking about. They provide nothing but theories based on what? The most critical piece of information is missing, how many people are actually infected with this? Answer is nobody knows. We only know the number who have died and the how many are confirmed to have it but that is NOT enough to accurately forecast anything.

Better analogy... computer models forecast the weather based on a whole slew of data points. Now try to accurately forecast the weather a week or two from now with half the data points missing. Now add a meteorologist to interpret it. We already know how inaccurate they are when they have all the data to work with and are forecasting a major storm. Now inject key pieces of data being missing and how much more inaccurate will they be? That is what we are dealing with here.

It's the fear of the unknown and the fact we have no instant solution that is driving people to this level of hysteria.

These outbreaks historically happen, they come and they go. Some die most do not. Freaking out about all this is not going to change the course this thing runs, only how long and painful it will be.
MAXUM is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
joey2665 (03-29-2020), Major (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 08:59 AM   #140
jeffk
Senior Member
 
jeffk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Center Harbor
Posts: 906
Thanks: 163
Thanked 269 Times in 152 Posts
Default

jeffk is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 09:06 AM   #141
StevenGilford
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 120
Thanks: 8
Thanked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Here's the problem with "guidance from multiple experts"

None of them know what the hell they are talking about. They provide nothing but theories based on what? The most critical piece of information is missing, how many people are actually infected with this? Answer is nobody knows. We only know the number who have died and the how many are confirmed to have it but that is NOT enough to accurately forecast anything.

Better analogy... computer models forecast the weather based on a whole slew of data points. Now try to accurately forecast the weather a week or two from now with half the data points missing. Now add a meteorologist to interpret it. We already know how inaccurate they are when they have all the data to work with and are forecasting a major storm. Now inject key pieces of data being missing and how much more inaccurate will they be? That is what we are dealing with here.

It's the fear of the unknown and the fact we have no instant solution that is driving people to this level of hysteria.

These outbreaks historically happen, they come and they go. Some die most do not. Freaking out about all this is not going to change the course this thing runs, only how long and painful it will be.
I'm not sure which part of this reply you believe more.

If it's the "critical missing piece of information" then the logical next step would be to pick a state and conduct widespread testing, and you should be lambasting Trump for telling us that "everyone who wants a test can get it" when the reality is that's not true.

If on the other hand your belief is "**** happens, people die, suck it up grandma your time is up" then fine. Abhorrent to me, but fine.
StevenGilford is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 09:07 AM   #142
Newbiesaukee
Senior Member
 
Newbiesaukee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Coral Gables, winter; Long Island, summer
Posts: 1,099
Thanks: 682
Thanked 420 Times in 211 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Here's the problem with "guidance from multiple experts"

None of them know what the hell they are talking about. They provide nothing but theories based on what? The most critical piece of information is missing, how many people are actually infected with this? Answer is nobody knows. We only know the number who have died and the how many are confirmed to have it but that is NOT enough to accurately forecast anything.

Better analogy... computer models forecast the weather based on a whole slew of data points. Now try to accurately forecast the weather a week or two from now with half the data points missing. Now add a meteorologist to interpret it. We already know how inaccurate they are when they have all the data to work with and are forecasting a major storm. Now inject key pieces of data being missing and how much more inaccurate will they be? That is what we are dealing with here.

It's the fear of the unknown and the fact we have no instant solution that is driving people to this level of hysteria.

These outbreaks historically happen, they come and they go. Some die most do not. Freaking out about all this is not going to change the course this thing runs, only how long and painful it will be.
“None of them know what the hell they are talking about.”

And yet, you do look at the weather report, you do recognize that today’s forecast is more accurate than next week’s.

No one is claiming absolute knowledge, just the best prediction based on the opinion of those most likely to know. Of course, ignore those who have opinions you know are at extremes.

And it would have been a lot better had we the data points that earlier and more widespread testing would have given us.
__________________


"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."

Last edited by Newbiesaukee; 03-29-2020 at 09:38 AM.
Newbiesaukee is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 09:08 AM   #143
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,468
Thanks: 1,040
Thanked 661 Times in 414 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenGilford View Post
So in summary:

Some people still don’t believe the virus is real

Some people believe the virus is just a flu

Some people believe the virus is more than a flu but won’t kill many people

Some people believe the virus is more than a flu and will kill some people but so what?

Some people believe the virus is more than a flu and might kill a lot of people, but working and making money is more important

Experts believe that best case model projections this virus is a lot worse than the flu and the containment measures we are taking are completely necessary

Experts believe that the worst cast model projections this virus is really bad and more containment measures are likely to be necessary


I don’t know about you all, but with faced with these “facts”, I don’t think we should take the middle ground between Deniers and Best Case Models. We should be preparing to cope with the worst case expert models and desperately hoping that the best case models prove true. We should not be preparing for the best case models and hoping the denier nutballs prove true.
You forget one.
Some people believe there is an acceptable number of deaths we should be under so they don't lose a pay check.
It's all a hoax, fake news, another attempt by the left to get the President out of office, LOL!
Biggd is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
SailinAway (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 09:08 AM   #144
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 582
Thanks: 100
Thanked 200 Times in 124 Posts
Default

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of how we move forward and which “experts” to believe or disbelieve. Inasmuch as we would like our opinions to matter and take president over others, they do not. Only those of the current administrations at the federal, state, local levels matter. They will identify how and when we move forward from this. To quote a former president “elections have consequences”
Not saying we sit back and enjoy the ride, but can’t you all be a bit more civil


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
Paugus Bay Resident (03-29-2020), Sue Doe-Nym (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 09:29 AM   #145
jbolty
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 504
Thanks: 191
Thanked 190 Times in 105 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenGilford View Post
Almost 500 deaths today

I hope everyone now agrees that COVID-19 is worse than the regular flu. It's now just a case of narrowing in on just how much worse it is.

The World Health Organization is reporting a mortality rate of 4.6% based on worldwide confirmed positives and deaths. We know this is likely to be the extreme upper bound of the mortality rate due to under reporting and lack of testing.

In the US the current mortality rate based on known infections is 1.9%, with the same caveats as above.

On Wednesday March 11th, Fauci told the House Oversight and Reform Committee "COVID-19 is at least 10 times “more lethal” than the seasonal flu" which would be at least a 1% mortality rate.

Still think we are overreacting?
WHO is not trustworthy for a number of reasons but here's one

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...id-19-numbers/


basing mortality on only the number of confirmed cases is bad math. the would be like counting drunk driving deaths on only the number stopped and caught.

taking care is one thing but stoking panic is another.
jbolty is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 09:37 AM   #146
StevenGilford
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 120
Thanks: 8
Thanked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbolty View Post
WHO is not trustworthy for a number of reasons but here's one

https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/202...id-19-numbers/


basing mortality on only the number of confirmed cases is bad math. the would be like counting drunk driving deaths on only the number stopped and caught.

taking care is one thing but stoking panic is another.
It's the best source of data to give us the extreme upper end of the range at the moment. Is it likely to hold true as more data and analysis becomes available? No. And being at the extreme end of the predictions, it's not likely to end up as reality.

But why cherry pick one number from my post which gives the projections an overall range of 1% to 4.6%?

What would you consider "good math"? What is your suggested range of mortality rates, and what do you base it on?
StevenGilford is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 09:48 AM   #147
TheRoBoat
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: SF Bay Area, Bear Island
Posts: 82
Thanks: 222
Thanked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Default Greetings from your future again

Some random thoughts from the left coast as we approach 2 weeks of shelter in place. I wasn’t sure what thread to put this in, but it made the most sense here.

When will things “open up” out here in CA? Not until this peaks, and we have a long way to go. This is a good article from the LA Times - https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-cases-explode

Everything described in that article is headed your way. It’s just a matter of scale. When I read a lot of the posts here, there seems to be a commonality that the lakes region is somehow far away, or removed from the dangers. You’re right in the center of it, and you don’t have a lot of access to close by help. “Numbers” mean nothing at this point. All you need to look at is that expanding red circle around NYC.

Most important upcoming battle - Sununu vs. Trump. It’s inevitable - and I look forward to reading who will support who at that time.

The only important numbers to you in the lakes region now center around capacity. Supplies, and beds, in hospitals. I’m sure someone may have more accurate numbers, but it appears there are about 60K Belknap residents, served by three hospitals, with about 160 beds.

These are the only numbers you need to run your hypothetical scenarios against, as it will soon be the only thing that matters. Don’t forget that pesky “timeframe” that so many leave out. In other words - 36K a year is one thing. 36K in a month is, well, worse.

I don’t recall seeing much either here in the forums, or in the Daily Sun, about the plans for when the hospitals fill up, and supplies run out, in the lakes region. There is overflow being added down south, but you will not have access to that.

Perhaps the doubters minds will change when a refrigerated truck or two pulls up outside LRGH?

Last edited by TheRoBoat; 03-29-2020 at 12:36 PM.
TheRoBoat is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to TheRoBoat For This Useful Post:
Leoskeys (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 09:48 AM   #148
StevenGilford
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 120
Thanks: 8
Thanked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Default

It's really easy to knock people down by saying "wrong!" "FAKE NEWS!" "jerk!" but if anyone wants to engage in a constructive debate, please bring some facts to the discussion.

Hold this against me, and I'm sure someone will, but I am not an expert. I admit I am not an expert. All I am doing is reading, digesting, and validating facts and data from multiple primary and secondary sources. If these sources turn out to be wrong, or inaccurate, or my interpretation is flawed, but all means offer alternatives. I will spin on a ****ing dime if they are better than the sources I'm using because my thoughts on this are not fixed and tribal.

So far the "alternative evidence" produced is:
  • An OANN article (proven to be misleading at best, lies at worst)
  • A quote from Dr Deborah Birx (asserted that she is being misleading by the author of the data she quotes)
  • Assertions that "we just don't know" (which we all understand we don't know it all, but that doesn't mean we don't know anything)
  • A conservative blog (opinions)
  • Incomparable figures from driving and cancer deaths
StevenGilford is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 10:35 AM   #149
The Real BigGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 739
Thanks: 33
Thanked 247 Times in 149 Posts
Default

Didn’t some military guy somewhere say, “Plan for the worst, hope for the best”?


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 10:44 AM   #150
gillygirl
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 466
Thanks: 618
Thanked 197 Times in 122 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAXUM View Post
Here's the problem with "guidance from multiple experts"




Better analogy... computer models forecast the weather based on a whole slew of data points. Now try to accurately forecast the weather a week or two from now with half the data points missing. Now add a meteorologist to interpret it. We already know how inaccurate they are when they have all the data to work with and are forecasting a major storm. Now inject key pieces of data being missing and how much more inaccurate will they be? That is what we are dealing with here.



I was waiting for you to use numerical weather prediction and meteorologists in your arguments. Since you know it all, you will have no problem with the following assignment.

Perform a scale analysis of the primitive equations of motion that govern large-scale atmospheric motions. Explain each step.

Name:  IMG_0151.JPG
Views: 658
Size:  10.0 KB



Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
__________________
GG
gillygirl is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 10:50 AM   #151
Major
Senior Member
 
Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Laconia
Posts: 854
Thanks: 352
Thanked 826 Times in 338 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenGilford View Post
It's really easy to knock people down by saying "wrong!" "FAKE NEWS!" "jerk!" but if anyone wants to engage in a constructive debate, please bring some facts to the discussion.

Hold this against me, and I'm sure someone will, but I am not an expert. I admit I am not an expert. All I am doing is reading, digesting, and validating facts and data from multiple primary and secondary sources. If these sources turn out to be wrong, or inaccurate, or my interpretation is flawed, but all means offer alternatives. I will spin on a ****ing dime if they are better than the sources I'm using because my thoughts on this are not fixed and tribal.

So far the "alternative evidence" produced is:
  • An OANN article (proven to be misleading at best, lies at worst)
  • A quote from Dr Deborah Birx (asserted that she is being misleading by the author of the data she quotes)
  • Assertions that "we just don't know" (which we all understand we don't know it all, but that doesn't mean we don't know anything)
  • A conservative blog (opinions)
  • Incomparable figures from driving and cancer deaths
I've had a constructive debate. I've argued the raw numbers and our ability as a society to tolerate other much worse risks. You chose to ignore the FACTS I propose. And only after you labeled my opinion as abhorrent and let's be real me as abhorrent did I call you a jerk.

I'm sorry, but I have a healthy skepticism to follow the advice of a federal employee since 1984, who has a vested interest in creating a crisis. (Don't think for a second National Institute of Health's funding won't skyrocket because of this so-called crisis.) These are the same people that are telling us that climate change is an existential threat. These are the same people who want to release CRIMINALS from prisons and jails with absolutely no job prospects. (What could go wrong.)

Don't think for a second that a result of this shut down could bring about lawless behavior. Looting in the inner cities is certainly one likely outcome, which will result in an even more public distain of our law enforcement officers. There is more of a likelihood of this happening than the 3,600,000 deaths you referenced before.

I have never stated that the Chinese coronavirus is not real. It is. How come it had to be an all-or-nothing approach? Wouldn't the smarter approach to encourage safe behavior while enable Americans to earn a living. Those like my parents have to be careful, living their lives as the do now -- only going out to obtain food and necessities, while the rest of us, who are relatively young and healthy can continue our lives but with a level of cautiousness.

I can debate this all day long. However, I have work to do and should probably focus on that.
Major is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 10:53 AM   #152
Billy Bob
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tiera Verdi Fl & Moultonborough
Posts: 240
Thanks: 111
Thanked 114 Times in 68 Posts
Default Flatten the curve

Let’s keep in mind that the ultimate danger is that large numbers of people all get this at the same time and we overwhelm the medical system, example Italy and what seems to be NYC and others.
Then YOU get sick with anything and can’t get help.
Right now the goal is to stretch out the folks getting this over a longer period of time so our supplies and facilities can handle the volume. Flatten the curve.
No one is having their rights removed , staying in place is now simply common sense. The next few weeks could make the difference , not the time to drive home from Florida or open the lake house. Let’s get the volume controllable.sit tight and do your part to flatten the curve.
Last , Major simply can’t be ligit , has to be a troll set up to cause civil unrest.
Billy Bob is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Billy Bob For This Useful Post:
Biggd (03-29-2020), TheRoBoat (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 10:54 AM   #153
Major
Senior Member
 
Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Laconia
Posts: 854
Thanks: 352
Thanked 826 Times in 338 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
Didn’t some military guy somewhere say, “Plan for the worst, hope for the best”?


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
To the best of my knowledge, no military guy ever said "shelter in place and cower in your homes in the foreseeable future!" To answer your question, couldn't have planning for the worst have been achieved with a more metered approach?
Major is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 10:59 AM   #154
StevenGilford
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 120
Thanks: 8
Thanked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
couldn't have planning for the worst have been achieved with a more metered approach?
Like taking more action earlier on, maybe even before the first confirmed case in the US by running simulations and having contingency plans, along with keeping the federal group active that would track and respond to them? Then taking more decisive action when it was confirmed here instead of down playing it and calling it a Democrat hoax?

I'm glad we both agree that Trump is a moron who cares for nobody except himself.
StevenGilford is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to StevenGilford For This Useful Post:
Mr. V (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 11:02 AM   #155
StevenGilford
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 120
Thanks: 8
Thanked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
Chinese coronavirus
Oh nice one! You really owned this lib-tard!
StevenGilford is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 11:03 AM   #156
Major
Senior Member
 
Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Laconia
Posts: 854
Thanks: 352
Thanked 826 Times in 338 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenGilford View Post
Oh nice one! You really owned this lib-tard!
I knew it would trigger you. So easy!
Major is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (03-29-2020), joey2665 (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 11:06 AM   #157
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,523
Thanks: 658
Thanked 688 Times in 459 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
I knew it would trigger you. So easy!


like shooting fish in a barrel. But be careful with your posts you could get accused of being on the forum and posting 24/7 like I was accused of yesterday


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 11:12 AM   #158
FlyingScot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Tuftonboro and Sudbury, MA
Posts: 902
Thanks: 535
Thanked 388 Times in 229 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
I’ll bet you my house 3,200,000 Americans will not die from this. We’re at 2000, a long way from 3,200,000. Hyperbolic!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where did you get 3,200,000 deaths? Is this part of the smear campaign? Will you bet your house that 100,000 will not die?

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/...100000-deaths/
FlyingScot is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 11:15 AM   #159
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,333
Thanks: 919
Thanked 998 Times in 592 Posts
Default

Saw this a few minutes ago. Not sure it adds to this conversation, but it's pretty clear cut info from a reliable source.
https://youtu.be/8A3jiM2FNR8

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 11:18 AM   #160
Major
Senior Member
 
Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Laconia
Posts: 854
Thanks: 352
Thanked 826 Times in 338 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Where did you get 3,200,000 deaths? Is this part of the smear campaign? Will you bet your house that 100,000 will not die?

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/03/...100000-deaths/
I'm sorry, I misquoted Steven from Gilford. Read above, he referenced a potential of 3,600,000 deaths from the Chinese coronavirus.
Major is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
Prestige Worldwide (03-31-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 11:21 AM   #161
Top-Water
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Derry-Belmont
Posts: 1,506
Thanks: 1,112
Thanked 573 Times in 354 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
But be careful with your posts you could get accused of being on the forum and posting 24/7 like I was accused of yesterday
I predict we wiil have a new number 1 poster in 2 years. If the web-master does not get sick of everyone fighting and closes the place down. {But don't worry, it won't be you}. Your not even close to taking things over.

Stay safe Joey
Top-Water is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 11:21 AM   #162
Major
Senior Member
 
Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Laconia
Posts: 854
Thanks: 352
Thanked 826 Times in 338 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenGilford View Post
I'm glad we both agree that Trump is a moron who cares for nobody except himself.
And here we have it. The root of your concern. Don't worry Steve, this overreaction to the Chinese coronavirus is going to backfire. Trump will be reelected by a margin greater than ever imagined. He is a true leader, and his leadership skills are on full display.
Major is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
BoatHouse (03-29-2020), Hillcountry (03-29-2020), Prestige Worldwide (03-31-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 11:26 AM   #163
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,468
Thanks: 1,040
Thanked 661 Times in 414 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
Last , Major simply can’t be legit , has to be a troll set up to cause civil unrest.
He must be a Russian troll who wants many Americans to die.
But in all seriousness he is Trumps "mini me".
Biggd is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
mishman (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 11:28 AM   #164
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,468
Thanks: 1,040
Thanked 661 Times in 414 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
I predict we wiil have a new number 1 poster in 2 years. If the web-master does not get sick of everyone fighting and closes the place down. {But don't worry, it won't be you}. Your not even close to taking things over.

Stay safe Joey
I don't see FLL relinquishing that title without a fight.
Biggd is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 11:32 AM   #165
Top-Water
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Derry-Belmont
Posts: 1,506
Thanks: 1,112
Thanked 573 Times in 354 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I don't see FLL relinquishing that title without a fight.

And I think you are right but have a feeling that the obsessed will give him a run for his money.
Top-Water is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Top-Water For This Useful Post:
Biggd (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 11:33 AM   #166
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,857
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 218
Thanked 599 Times in 443 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I don't see FLL relinquishing that title without a fight.
...... say-hey ..... I don't post because I like to post ..... I post because I am so totally bored out of my mind and have nothing better to do ..... is more like a disease ..... cough-cough-cough ...... excuse me!
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to fatlazyless For This Useful Post:
BoatHouse (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 11:35 AM   #167
StevenGilford
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 120
Thanks: 8
Thanked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
And here we have it. The root of your concern.
The root of my concern is the health and wellbeing of all Americans that will die but could be prevented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
this overreaction to the Chinese coronavirus is going to backfire. Trump will be reelected by a margin greater than ever imagined. He is a true leader, and his leadership skills are on full display.
This however, shows the roots of your stance. You have drank the kool-aid and are a full on Trumpette. Immune to facts and reason.
StevenGilford is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to StevenGilford For This Useful Post:
coolyourjets (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 11:36 AM   #168
joey2665
Senior Member
 
joey2665's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Meredith Bay & LI, NY
Posts: 2,523
Thanks: 658
Thanked 688 Times in 459 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
I predict we wiil have a new number 1 poster in 2 years. If the web-master does not get sick of everyone fighting and closes the place down. {But don't worry, it won't be you}. Your not even close to taking things over.

Stay safe Joey


Won’t be me. I have no desire or need to surpass FLL. I post only when I feel I can contribute to a conversation of assist others that have similar beliefs as myself. Also have given free tax advice many times.

I must tell you the negativity I am receiving lately is disheartening it’s fine to disagree everyone is entitled to their own opinions but to say I post too much, I find it personally insulting and there are many others that have posted more than me.

I will continue to be on the site as I find much of the information useful, although not recently, however I will not be posting very much any longer I’m sure many of you will be happy. Good luck and stay safe all.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
joey2665 is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 11:37 AM   #169
TiltonBB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Gilford, NH and Florida
Posts: 1,790
Thanks: 299
Thanked 1,255 Times in 485 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenGilford View Post
Like taking more action earlier on, maybe even before the first confirmed case in the US by running simulations and having contingency plans, along with keeping the federal group active that would track and respond to them? Then taking more decisive action when it was confirmed here instead of down playing it and calling it a Democrat hoax?

I'm glad we both agree that Trump is a moron who cares for nobody except himself.
TDS is alive and well!

Despite the rants of the left and the different levels of reaction to the virus, the people who are so consumed with TDS should prepare themselves for 4 1/2 more years of a Trump Presidency. If the virus clears up in the next few months November is still coming. For some people, 2020 is going to be a very bad year!

In other news:

“The CDC’s response has been excellent, as it has been in the past,” said John Auerbach, president of the nonpartisan Trust for America’s Health, which works with government at all levels to improve the nation’s response to high-risk health crises. Some Democrats have charged that Trump decimated the nation’s public health leadership, but Auerbach said CDC’s top scientific ranks have remained stable during the past three years.

THE FACTS: They’re wrong to say the agencies have seen their money cut. Bloomberg repeated the false claim that states the U.S. is unprepared for the virus because of “reckless cuts” to the CDC. Instead, financing has increased while Trump has been President.
TiltonBB is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
coolyourjets (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 11:55 AM   #170
Major
Senior Member
 
Major's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Laconia
Posts: 854
Thanks: 352
Thanked 826 Times in 338 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Won’t be me. I have no desire or need to surpass FLL. I post only when I feel I can contribute to a conversation of assist others that have similar beliefs as myself. Also have given free tax advice many times.

I must tell you the negativity I am receiving lately is disheartening it’s fine to disagree everyone is entitled to their own opinions but to say I post too much, I find it personally insulting and there are many others that have posted more than me.

I will continue to be on the site as I find much of the information useful, although not recently, however I will not be posting very much any longer I’m sure many of you will be happy. Good luck and stay safe all.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
It won't be me either. I am passionate about our President and preserving conservative values. The negativity is disappointing. However, what's more disappointing is how easy we turtle and give up our liberties and freedoms without questioning why. This time it's the Chinese coronavirus. Next time it will be climate change. Next time it will be because China owns us, and we have to submit because bureaucrats tell us so. I won't convince them and they won't convince me. I can live with that. That's what makes America great - diversity of views. At the end of the day I hope we can share a cocktail and have a few laughs about the silliness of it all. Because what I think and others think really doesn't matter or change the course of events.
Major is offline  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (03-29-2020), joey2665 (03-29-2020), Sue Doe-Nym (03-29-2020), Top-Water (03-29-2020), Wifi-1 (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 12:06 PM   #171
Top-Water
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Derry-Belmont
Posts: 1,506
Thanks: 1,112
Thanked 573 Times in 354 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Won’t be me. I have no desire or need to surpass FLL. I post only when I feel I can contribute to a conversation of assist others that have similar beliefs as myself. Also have given free tax advice many times.

I must tell you the negativity I am receiving lately is disheartening it’s fine to disagree everyone is entitled to their own opinions but to say I post too much, I find it personally insulting and there are many others that have posted more than me.

I will continue to be on the site as I find much of the information useful, although not recently, however I will not be posting very much any longer I’m sure many of you will be happy. Good luck and stay safe all.

The short reply:
I feel the same as you these days, that why I'm mostly just posting old photos these days. I don't feel I wanna share every single detail of my life on here.
Top-Water is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 12:07 PM   #172
StevenGilford
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 120
Thanks: 8
Thanked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
what's more disappointing is how easy we turtle and give up our liberties and freedoms without questioning why.
The issue with this statement is that you assume people don't question why, when the reality is many people do. They simply come to a different conclusion than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
That's what makes America great - diversity of views. At the end of the day I hope we can share a cocktail and have a few laughs
Completely agree
StevenGilford is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to StevenGilford For This Useful Post:
Major (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 12:12 PM   #173
Top-Water
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Derry-Belmont
Posts: 1,506
Thanks: 1,112
Thanked 573 Times in 354 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
It won't be me either. I am passionate about our President and preserving conservative values. The negativity is disappointing. However, what's more disappointing is how easy we turtle and give up our liberties and freedoms without questioning why. This time it's the Chinese coronavirus. Next time it will be climate change. Next time it will be because China owns us, and we have to submit because bureaucrats tell us so. I won't convince them and they won't convince me. I can live with that. That's what makes America great - diversity of views. At the end of the day I hope we can share a cocktail and have a few laughs about the silliness of it all. Because what I think and others think really doesn't matter or change the course of events.
Thank you ....... worth repeating.
Top-Water is offline  
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Top-Water For This Useful Post:
Major (03-29-2020), Seaplane Pilot (03-29-2020), Sue Doe-Nym (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 12:27 PM   #174
JEEPONLY
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 437
Thanks: 202
Thanked 107 Times in 82 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
“Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils.“ General John Stark.
It would be my position that Stark was referring to the inhumanities between people as opposed to a pandemic.

Nice try though.
JEEPONLY is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 01:03 PM   #175
Seaplane Pilot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 975
Thanks: 430
Thanked 678 Times in 252 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEEPONLY View Post
It would be my position that Stark was referring to the inhumanities between people as opposed to a pandemic.

Nice try though.
Thanks to the Constitution, you are free to express your opinion as you have here. My opinion may vary.
Seaplane Pilot is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 01:21 PM   #176
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,333
Thanks: 919
Thanked 998 Times in 592 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
The short reply:
I feel the same as you these days, that why I'm mostly just posting old photos these days. I don't feel I wanna share every single detail of my life on here.
Define hypocrisy: the guy who always has something critical to say complaining about negativity.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
coolyourjets (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 01:23 PM   #177
thinkxingu
Senior Member
 
thinkxingu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 3,333
Thanks: 919
Thanked 998 Times in 592 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey2665 View Post
Won’t be me. I have no desire or need to surpass FLL. I post only when I feel I can contribute to a conversation of assist others that have similar beliefs as myself. Also have given free tax advice many times.

I must tell you the negativity I am receiving lately is disheartening it’s fine to disagree everyone is entitled to their own opinions but to say I post too much, I find it personally insulting and there are many others that have posted more than me.

I will continue to be on the site as I find much of the information useful, although not recently, however I will not be posting very much any longer I’m sure many of you will be happy. Good luck and stay safe all.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
I agree, Joey—though I don't always see eye-to-eye with people here, it's always been my MO to live and let live.

The amount of criticism here lately—too many posts, political attacks, personal criticisms over life decisions, etc.—is pathetic.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
thinkxingu is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thinkxingu For This Useful Post:
ebko87 (03-29-2020), pondguy (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 01:58 PM   #178
BoatHouse
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Posts: 64
Thanks: 109
Thanked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenGilford View Post

I'm glad we both agree that Trump is a moron who cares for nobody except himself.
Well There IT is! Your only motivation. you have now been exposed. Move to MA so you can vote the Democrat ticket
BoatHouse is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to BoatHouse For This Useful Post:
jbolty (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 02:08 PM   #179
StevenGilford
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 120
Thanks: 8
Thanked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatHouse View Post
Well There IT is! Your only motivation. you have now been exposed. Move to MA so you can vote the Democrat ticket
Sure, ignore everything else I've said, including my actual motivations. It's pretty much the modus operandi of sycophantic Trump supporters.
StevenGilford is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 02:23 PM   #180
Sue Doe-Nym
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 742
Thanks: 417
Thanked 362 Times in 176 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenGilford View Post
Sure, ignore everything else I've said, including my actual motivations. It's pretty much the modus operandi of sycophantic Trump supporters.
Steven, Steven, Steven......you must get rid of the rage! It’s not healthy! One post after the other...ranting, raging, name-calling....way over the top. Cut yourself a break....and the rest of us....and please knock it off! Take a deep breath...that’s it.....very good....now try to relax and be happy. 😎
Sue Doe-Nym is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
christo1 (03-29-2020), jbolty (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 02:35 PM   #181
StevenGilford
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 120
Thanks: 8
Thanked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doe-Nym View Post
Steven, Steven, Steven......you must get rid of the rage! It’s not healthy! One post after the other...ranting, raging, name-calling....way over the top. Cut yourself a break....and the rest of us....and please knock it off! Take a deep breath...that’s it.....very good....now try to relax and be happy. 😎
I'm going to do some yoga and meditate until the death numbers are released this evening.
StevenGilford is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 03:07 PM   #182
Pricestavern
Senior Member
 
Pricestavern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Long Island (not that one, the one in NY)
Posts: 337
Thanks: 66
Thanked 92 Times in 58 Posts
Default Y2k

I gauze into my crystal ball and see...

Thousands of American citizens dead but not millions. People look at the final numbers and say, "See - it was a hoax. Not nearly as many people died. It wasn't the catastrophe predicted. Fake news."

It will remind me of Y2K and how, after tens of thousands of IT workers spend millions of hours combing thru code and fixing problems in the couple of years leading up to 2000, not much went wrong and people looked back and said, "See! It was much ado about nothing." The efforts and preparations lost to them in the moments after that midnight.

It will be because of the self-quarantines, the social distancing, the closures of social gathering places and places of business that 3.2 million people did not ultimately die. But cause and effect can be intangible things that only look at the moment.

It is a bad foreboding for the future should a truly terrible virus comes along, something akin to Ebola but spreads farther, and people will look back at covid-19 and say, "See! Another hoax." The lessons will having not been learned and we dither...

Last edited by Pricestavern; 03-29-2020 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Punctuation
Pricestavern is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pricestavern For This Useful Post:
Billy Bob (03-29-2020), FlyingScot (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 05:29 PM   #183
longislander
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Moultonborough
Posts: 219
Thanks: 21
Thanked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Does anyone know, or believe they know, that the anti-malaria drugs will work as a fix to covid-19? Had to take them while in Vietnam, with the U.S. Army, May 67-Feb. 69.

After reading this thread ... might start taking again!
longislander is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 05:55 PM   #184
Sue Doe-Nym
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 742
Thanks: 417
Thanked 362 Times in 176 Posts
Default Testing hydrochloroquine

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander View Post
Does anyone know, or believe they know, that the anti-malaria drugs will work as a fix to covid-19? Had to take them while in Vietnam, with the U.S. Army, May 67-Feb. 69.

After reading this thread ... might start taking again!
Apparently, they are running trials on this anti-malarial drug, hydrochloroquine, combined with an antibiotic, I believe Zpac. Some physicians and hospitals have claimed success with it on some of their severely ill Coronavirus patients. Hope it pans out as it sounds very promising.
Sue Doe-Nym is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 06:19 PM   #185
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 582
Thanks: 100
Thanked 200 Times in 124 Posts
Default

It appears our President listened to the experts and will extend the stay home to April 30th.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to WinnisquamZ For This Useful Post:
Prestige Worldwide (03-31-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 06:39 PM   #186
4 for Boating
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 130
Thanks: 1
Thanked 16 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Another drug called Remdesivir by Gilead is also under study/trials (Started with 6 hospitals and now up to 44 > then they got overwhelmed with requests and had to pause any new sites) I think I heard they are also extended it for special cases - preliminary results are encouraging but these tings take time as these trials don't mean much unless they are wide ranging and real data can be extracted.

I "think" this is a new drug as compared to the malaria one which has been around for a long time and has a track record.
4 for Boating is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 06:50 PM   #187
StevenGilford
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 120
Thanks: 8
Thanked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Trump is currently acknowledging that 2.2million people would have died if we did nothing.
StevenGilford is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 07:22 PM   #188
StevenGilford
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 120
Thanks: 8
Thanked 41 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Despite the usual attacks on some of the press, and at least one major whopper (claiming he didn't say on Hannity that he didn't believe NY would need 30-40k ventilators), this has been his best daily briefing by far.

He states that 2.2million would have died with no action.

Extended federal distancing guidance to April 30th

Expecting the 'apex' to occur in 2 weeks' time (optimistic, but at least he is looking for an apex now)

Sounds like the projections they are basing decisions on will be released on Tuesday

Accepting if they keep death totals to 100-200k or lower they will be doing a "good job".

Last edited by StevenGilford; 03-29-2020 at 08:20 PM.
StevenGilford is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 08:32 PM   #189
Biggd
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Waltham Ma./Meredith NH
Posts: 2,468
Thanks: 1,040
Thanked 661 Times in 414 Posts
Default

Conservative heads are exploding!
Biggd is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 08:33 PM   #190
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,857
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 218
Thanked 599 Times in 443 Posts
Default

Heath's super market in Center Harbor has changed their hours:

Monday - Saturday 8 to 6

Sunday 8 to 1
..............

7am to 8am, Monday - Saturday; open for age 60+ or with compromised immunity
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!
fatlazyless is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 08:35 PM   #191
WinnisquamZ
Senior Member
 
WinnisquamZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 582
Thanks: 100
Thanked 200 Times in 124 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
Conservative heads are exploding!
Explain?


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline  
Old 03-29-2020, 09:39 PM   #192
ApS
Senior Member
 
ApS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Winnipesaukee & Florida
Posts: 4,799
Thanks: 1,246
Thanked 541 Times in 378 Posts
Thumbs up Successes Mounting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by longislander View Post
Does anyone know, or believe they know, that the anti-malaria drugs will work as a fix to covid-19? Had to take them while in Vietnam, with the U.S. Army, May 67-Feb. 69. After reading this thread ... might start taking again!
Looking at a map of typically-malarial regions of Africa, you'll see that the areas taking anti-malarial drugs are empty of the Wuhan-corona virus. Africans taking anti-malarial drugs as treatment for Lupus disease aren't appearing with Wuhan-corona virus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 for Boating View Post
Another drug called Remdesivir by Gilead is also under study/trials (Started with 6 hospitals and now up to 44 > then they got overwhelmed with requests and had to pause any new sites) I think I heard they are also extended it for special cases - preliminary results are encouraging but these tings take time as these trials don't mean much unless they are wide ranging and real data can be extracted. I "think" this is a new drug as compared to the malaria one which has been around for a long time and has a track record.
There is a cocktail of drugs now being given in the US. Doctors have been appearing in great support of Hydroxychloroquine, Chloroquine, and Remdesivir. Millions of doses are in the process of being shipped to the US by Teva Pharmaceuticals of Israel. All will have arrived by this Tuesday.

Being studied are side effects of heart arrhythmia and eye complications. One recorded account is of a recovered man at Joe DiMaggio hospital in Palm Beach County, Florida.

Although several days old, physicians' successes are being podcast 24/7 at The Sean Hannity Show. The title is "The Latest COVID-19 Treatments". (97 minutes).
ApS is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 09:59 PM   #193
TiltonBB
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Gilford, NH and Florida
Posts: 1,790
Thanks: 299
Thanked 1,255 Times in 485 Posts
Default Major could be right!

I hope so!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyTT...jcdocbRnaGz6_c
TiltonBB is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (03-29-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 11:09 PM   #194
fatlazyless
Senior Member
 
fatlazyless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 6,857
Blog Entries: 1
Thanks: 218
Thanked 599 Times in 443 Posts
Default

Free access on the corona virus crisis: www.nytimes.com ...... read all about it!

'Trump Extends Social Distancing Guidelines Through End of April' by Michael D. Shear ........ written and updated on March 29 & 30, 2020

Here's two paragraphs from this report that really caught my attention:

The president also expressed horror at the grim scenes playing out at hospitals in New York City, where he spent much of his adult life. He cited the situation at Elmhurst Hospital Center - "I know it very well," he said - which has been inundated in recent days with people ill from the virus.

"I've been watching that for the last week on television, body bags all over in hallways," Mr. Trump said. "I have been watching them bringing in trailer trucks, freezer trucks because they can't handle the bodies. There are so many of them. This is in essentially my community in Queens, New York. I have seen things that I have never seen before."
__________________
Down & out, livn that Walmart side of the lake!

Last edited by fatlazyless; 03-30-2020 at 08:18 AM.
fatlazyless is offline  
Old 03-30-2020, 07:05 AM   #195
The Real BigGuy
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 739
Thanks: 33
Thanked 247 Times in 149 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
To the best of my knowledge, no military guy ever said "shelter in place and cower in your homes in the foreseeable future!" To answer your question, couldn't have planning for the worst have been achieved with a more metered approach?
If you take a “more metered” approach, by definition you are not planning for the worst. I think that puts you in the realm of planning for the almost worst.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline  
Old 03-30-2020, 07:29 AM   #196
Joebon
Senior Member
 
Joebon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 140
Thanks: 23
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Default

I am confused. Didn’t our president limit activity with social distancing guidance? Didn’t the governor of NH limit business activity? Also, didn’t our president and our congress just give the biggest welfare package in history? I am not seeing this as a liberal handouts or a grab of personal freedom.

If you or a family member was laid off, I feel sorry for them. The economy has been propped up by the government for a long time and it was bound to happen at some point. Check the relief package for money you can get from the government. Also, check with the company that laid you off because if they had less than 500 employees, they can still make payroll through June 30th up to annual salaries of $100k per employee through the relief package.

My opinion is that this is all because testing failed and it was not taken seriously by most people from the get go. When it gets to NH, most resources in the country will be depleted. So, NH will not be immune.

Telling out of state home owners to stay in their home states is taking away personal freedom. And, no state or individual has any right to do that. My opinion is that the spread will occur regardless of out of state home owners. The spread will occur because disease spreads and people move from state to state for many things, including deliveries of supplies.

I am one county away from NYC and I am NOT going to my lake house. I am staying here because (1) NY will be over it by the time it peaks in NH and (2) NH in the spring is the worst time to be in NH.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Joebon is offline  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joebon For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (03-30-2020), thinkxingu (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 07:35 AM   #197
Seaplane Pilot
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 975
Thanks: 430
Thanked 678 Times in 252 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Thanks for posting this, Tilton. I’m SHOCKED that the mainstream media hasn’t reported this!
Seaplane Pilot is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to Seaplane Pilot For This Useful Post:
TiltonBB (03-30-2020)
Old 03-30-2020, 07:47 AM   #198
Newbiesaukee
Senior Member
 
Newbiesaukee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Coral Gables, winter; Long Island, summer
Posts: 1,099
Thanks: 682
Thanked 420 Times in 211 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joebon View Post
I am confused. Didn’t our president limit activity with social distancing guidance? Didn’t the governor of NH limit business activity? Also, didn’t our president and our congress just give the biggest welfare package in history? I am not seeing this as a liberal handouts or a grab of personal freedom.

If you or a family member was laid off, I feel sorry for them. The economy has been propped up by the government for a long time and it was bound to happen at some point. Check the relief package for money you can get from the government. Also, check with the company that laid you off because if they had less than 500 employees, they can still make payroll through June 30th up to annual salaries of $100k per employee through the relief package.

My opinion is that this is all because testing failed and it was not taken seriously by most people from the get go. When it gets to NH, most resources in the country will be depleted. So, NH will not be immune.

Telling out of state home owners to stay in their home states is taking away personal freedom. And, no state or individual has any right to do that. My opinion is that the spread will occur regardless of out of state home owners. The spread will occur because disease spreads and people move from state to state for many things, including deliveries of supplies.

I am one county away from NYC and I am NOT going to my lake house. I am staying here because (1) NY will be over it by the time it peaks in NH and (2) NH in the spring is the worst time to be in NH.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It is such a pleasure to read a thoughtful well-written post and not think about the writer’s politics; even if I don’t 100% agree.
__________________


"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline  
Old 03-30-2020, 07:54 AM   #199
Newbiesaukee
Senior Member
 
Newbiesaukee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Coral Gables, winter; Long Island, summer
Posts: 1,099
Thanks: 682
Thanked 420 Times in 211 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
Thanks for posting this, Tilton. I’m SHOCKED that the mainstream media hasn’t reported this!
I am not shocked that the righty media did. Having said that, it is good to see a different point of view from an informed academic.
__________________


"You're only young once, but you can be immature forever."
Newbiesaukee is offline  
Old 03-30-2020, 08:47 AM   #200
Billy Bob
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Tiera Verdi Fl & Moultonborough
Posts: 240
Thanks: 111
Thanked 114 Times in 68 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot View Post
Thanks for posting this, Tilton. I’m SHOCKED that the mainstream media hasn’t reported this!
Please look up the source , this new network is a far right group of wack jobs, watch a few of their reports on subjects other then the virus and you will see they are a no fact shock new people
Billy Bob is offline  
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.

This page was generated in 0.58625 seconds