Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Getting Here
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2020, 08:39 PM   #1
fatlazyless

Thumbs up ...big pick-ups, thankyou!

Twice today, Feb 12, over at the intersection of River Rd and Rt-3 Daniel Webster Hgwy, between 9 and 10 in the morning, I got helped twice by two different guys, total strangers, in two different full size pick-ups.

"Get that license plate, that's a hit & run" is all I had to shout and two guys in a large pick-up with a snowplow were right there, chasing after my hit & run, as it was speeding away from the scene. Apparently, they must have stayed on his tail, and called the Plymouth Police, because about 30-minutes later a police officer showed up to where my car was pushed into the snowbank, and informed me the hit & run had been located at the Plymouth Senior Center.

After about 30-minutes of shoveling snow from around my car, another guy in a big pickup stopped to ask if I needed a tow ...... tying a heavy line from his trailer hitch to my trailer hitch got my car towed out of the deep snowbank .... very smooth.

So, three cheers for local guys in pick-up trucks who will help you out of a jam ... thanks very much to two unknown, local pick-up drivers.

I filed a claim with my insurance and am thinking they may just total out my ride .... a 2013 Japanese econo-box w/ 193,000 miles and 5-speed manual and original spark plugs .... wait and see! The insurance company is the big boss, here.

I have absolutely no problem with the police not wanting to prosecute the older guy, hit & run driver. People get old, really need their drivers license for driving, no one was hurt, and insurance pays. In 20-years I'll be an 88-year old still driving a 5-speed manual, econo-box ....... so, I could be that hit & run driver, looking ahead to year-2040. It was like he never even saw my car coming ...... so's another strong reason to drive with headlights turned on. Headlights could maybe have made a big difference here?

The big take-away for me is how very important it is to have very good automobile insurance coverage ..... strong insurance is the #1 most important item in your car ...... don't you know it!
Old 02-12-2020, 11:20 PM   #2
Winilyme

Eight years ago my siblings and I noticed that our Dad no longer seemed fully alert in all situations - including driving. He was 80. The day he abruptly reversed into a garbage can in a friends driveway was telling. We did a little research, consulted with his doctor, and signed him up for an Easter Seals program that assesses the ability of aging folks to safely drive a vehicle. He willingly agreed to this, certain in his abilities. Sadly, he failed the driving test terribly and we took action to remove his license and pull him from behind the wheel - permanently. This wasn't an easy thing to do since he considered driving a God-given right. He resented us for years, his mental condition continued to deteriorate, and he's since been diagnosed with dementia. Difficult as it was, we feel strongly that we did the right thing.

My point in all this is that I wonder if, just as we must be licensed when learning to drive, shouldn't there be a point where mandatory testing is required at a certain advanced age? Maybe this is an automatic requirement when you hit that age. Or maybe every five years after age 80, a doctor needs to certify one's ability to drive. I'm not sure what the answer is and I suspect there isn't any good one. Perhaps it just comes down to everyone accepting that if you choose to be on the road then you are accepting the risk of being there. Yet I can't help but believe that lives could be saved and injuries avoided if there was some requirement in place. Now, I can imagine 90% of forum readers will instinctively rebuke any such suggestion. But do you really want to be seriously injured by an elderly individual that can no longer drive safely? For that matter, do you want to one day be the elderly individual that seriously injures or kills someone else?

I'm sure accident rates are far higher in the elderly population, just as they are with young people that are just learning to drive. If there are requirements on the front end, why not on the back end? Fact is, good judgment is sometimes a victim of the aging process and I don't believe you can rely on some individuals, especially the elderly, to always make the right independent decision on whether they should or shouldn't be behind the wheel.

Regarding the guy/gal in the Plymouth senior center, I wonder if he even realized he hit someone or if he remembered he was supposed to stop. Will someone ask him to be tested as we did with our Dad? Or will someone just pat him on the back, hand over the key and wish him a safe drive home. Isn't that a little like saying, Live Free AND Die?

Perhaps none of this will matter in a few years when self-driving cars are common.
Winilyme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winilyme For This Useful Post:
jbolty (02-12-2020), thinkxingu (02-13-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 06:11 AM   #3
fatlazyless

I was headed south on D W Hgwy, past the large old barn, approaching River Rd on the right ...... to my shock and huge surprise he runs the stop sign, glides past the stop sign making a left turn heading north ..... I try to avoid this incoming car ..... press hard on the horn ...... honk-honk-honk ..... get hit on the passengers side by his front and get pushed off the road into the snowbank.

Is very lucky my car is still drivable because the wheels/tires were not hit and the two doors can still be opened and closed.

After the crash I get out of the car, run around over the snowbank onto the road and am sprinting up to his car which was about 50 to 100 yards away, and slowed down to maybe 2-mph ....... he must have seen me in his rear view mirror and takes off, headed north .... all I could get was the first three digits on a seven digit NH plate.

In about 20-seconds as I go back to my smashed car, pushed into the snowbank, a big white pick-up heading north with a snowplow and two guys inside slows down to me ...... I scream "get that license plate ..... that's a hit & run" ..... and the pickup is right there ..... going after him .... down the road .... north towards town.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:41 AM   #4
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top-Water View Post
Any free coffee gift certificates for the big pick-up truck drivers that helped you out?
I never see this white pickup with the two guys again .......sure, I be happy to give them 20-dollars for coffee ..... about 20-30-minutes later the police officer shows up ..... asks me what happened ..... asks if I saw the driver .... was it a man or a woman .....and the age ..... I say I didn't get a good look at the driver .... is probably a man? .... have no idea as to age ... a Town of Plymouth snowplow has previously stopped and asked me if he should call it in to the PD ..... I say yes, call it in! ..... the police officer tells me the car has been located at the Senior Center. The police officer take a lot of photos of my smashed car in the snowbank.

About one or two hours later, my insurance agent in Meredith takes a lot of photos of my smashed car. Is totally GREAT to have strong insurance as I sit here, the day after. There's a big, big, big, big difference between a car that still drives as opposed to hauled off on a flatbed tow removal truck.

If it turns out the other car has insurance I should be very happy to give the white pickup guys 25-dollars for coffee!

As a side note, I have a cdl-a w/tanker driver's license so I know a little about the DOT medical card required for driving a big truck. Truck drivers must get a Dept of Transportation medical exam, administered by either a medical doctor or an osteopathic doctor every two years. And, some truck drivers must get one every year if they have a medical problem like high blood pressure or obesity.

Starting at age-66, all New Hampshire drivers SHOULD be required to pass a similar medical exam. Driving a car is just like driving a truck, except a truck is bigger. Age-66 is the standard age to start collecting Social Security, so it should be the age to start with the driver's medical test.

Yes ..... this will be my campaign slogan when I run for NH governor's elected office ..... ha-ha-ha.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-13-2020 at 07:51 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:32 AM   #5
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

Should have had your car wrapped with noodles.

Last edited by Biggd; 02-13-2020 at 08:56 AM.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
ApS (02-13-2020), ishoot308 (02-13-2020), Wifi-1 (02-15-2020)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2020, 08:05 AM   #6
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
If it turns out the other car has insurance I should be very happy to give the white pickup guys 25-dollars for coffee!

If the other vehicle does not have insurance you should be able to collect using your uninsured motorist coverage. Your insurance company may then go after the other motorist to be reimbursed for the loss. You are also entitled to a replacement vehicle while your vehicle is out of service. You can also file a claim for "diminished value" although in this case it may not amount to much. Sorry! But, if you had a more valuable vehicle with a clean accident history, this blemish on the record will make your vehicle worth less and you are entitled to an additional amount for that.

In New Hampshire some are required to have insurance because of past conduct. If you do not have insurance you must have the financial ability to pay the claim if you have an accident.

In order to learn if you can be relieved of filing proof of insurance, you can contact the Bureau of Financial Responsibility and request that your record be reviewed.

If, as the result of the review process, it is determined that any of the following are on your record you will be required to have insurance:
DWI - (1st, 2nd, Subsequent, and Aggravated).
Underage DWI - (1st, 2nd, Subsequent, Aggravated).
Leaving Scene of Accident.
Conduct After Accident.
Subsequent (2nd) offense Reckless Operation.
Relief of Filing Proof of Insurance/SR-22

If eligible, you will receive a formal Notice of Relief of Filing from the Division of Motor Vehicles.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:06 AM   #7
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

NH tried the driver test for a while. At age 75 you had to take a test. I guess it didn't make much difference because they stopped it.

FLL, you now need one of those there certified government approved doctors to do your CDL now. They think up more rules every day doncha' know?
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:42 AM   #8
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
If the other vehicle does not have insurance you should be able to collect using your uninsured motorist coverage. Your insurance company may then go after the other motorist to be reimbursed for the loss. You are also entitled to a replacement vehicle while your vehicle is out of service. You can also file a claim for "diminished value" although in this case it may not amount to much. Sorry! But, if you had a more valuable vehicle with a clean accident history, this blemish on the record will make your vehicle worth less and you are entitled to an additional amount for that.

In New Hampshire some are required to have insurance because of past conduct. If you do not have insurance you must have the financial ability to pay the claim if you have an accident.

In order to learn if you can be relieved of filing proof of insurance, you can contact the Bureau of Financial Responsibility and request that your record be reviewed.

If, as the result of the review process, it is determined that any of the following are on your record you will be required to have insurance:
DWI - (1st, 2nd, Subsequent, and Aggravated).
Underage DWI - (1st, 2nd, Subsequent, Aggravated).
Leaving Scene of Accident.
Conduct After Accident.
Subsequent (2nd) offense Reckless Operation.
Relief of Filing Proof of Insurance/SR-22

If eligible, you will receive a formal Notice of Relief of Filing from the Division of Motor Vehicles.
Uninsured/ underinsured motorist coverage is a liability coverage, the limits of which mirror your Bodily Insurance limits of liability(in NH by state law). Damage to your vehicle is not covered by this coverage. Physical damage is covered by collision with another vehicle or an object like a tree, rock, bridge, etc.. Damage to a vehicle not by collision is covered by comprehensive coverage, also known as Other Than Collision (OTC).
No collision on FLL's vehicle, no coverage.

Dave
Doobs41378 (02-15-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 08:54 AM   #9
AC2717

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Uninsured/ underinsured motorist coverage is a liability coverage, the limits of which mirror your Bodily Insurance limits of liability(in NH by state law). Damage to your vehicle is not covered by this coverage. Physical damage is covered by collision with another vehicle or an object like a tree, rock, bridge, etc.. Damage to a vehicle not by collision is covered by comprehensive coverage, also known as Other Than Collision (OTC).
No collision on FLL's vehicle, no coverage.

Dave
you are correct, so if he was hit and run, and did not have physical damage coverage on his own policy, there would not be any coverage as there would be no proof of the hit and run, also there would not be a party to claim against. ALso true if they knew who hit him and that party did not have insurance.

UL/UIL is for bodily insurance to yourself and others in your vehicle cause by a third party that either does not have insurance or not enough insurance
Doobs41378 (02-15-2020), upthesaukee (02-13-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 09:04 AM   #10
The Real BigGuy

Most important, glad to hear you weren’t hurt! You take a lot of ribbing here, but we’d all miss having you as a target!

In MA, which is also a target for barbs, you not only need to have “full” insurance coverage to register a vehicle but elderly drivers (starting at 75) have to appear at the RMV in person to renew their drivers license and are required to pass a vision test to do so. The law also requires that they inform the Registry of any medical limitation that they have but, if they think they can drive I bet they often “forget” things.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:42 AM   #11
Winnisquamer

Quote:
Twice today, Feb 12, over at the intersection of River Rd and Rt-3 Daniel Webster Hgwy, between 9 and 10 in the morning, I got helped twice by two different guys, total strangers, in two different full size pick-ups.

"Get that license plate, that's a hit & run" is all I had to shout and two guys in a large pick-up with a snowplow were right there, chasing after my hit & run, as it was speeding away from the scene. Apparently, they must have stayed on his tail, and called the Plymouth Police, because about 30-minutes later a police officer showed up to where my car was pushed into the snowbank, and informed me the hit & run had been located at the Plymouth Senior Center.

After about 30-minutes of shoveling snow from around my car, another guy in a big pickup stopped to ask if I needed a tow ...... tying a heavy line from his trailer hitch to my trailer hitch got my car towed out of the deep snowbank .... very smooth.

So, three cheers for local guys in pick-up trucks who will help you out of a jam ... thanks very much to two unknown, local pick-up drivers.

I filed a claim with my insurance and am thinking they may just total out my ride .... a 2013 Japanese econo-box w/ 193,000 miles and 5-speed manual and original spark plugs .... wait and see! The insurance company is the big boss, here.

I have absolutely no problem with the police not wanting to prosecute the older guy, hit & run driver. People get old, really need their drivers license for driving, no one was hurt, and insurance pays. In 20-years I'll be an 88-year old still driving a 5-speed manual, econo-box ....... so, I could be that hit & run driver, looking ahead to year-2040. It was like he never even saw my car coming ...... so's another strong reason to drive with headlights turned on. Headlights could maybe have made a big difference here?

The big take-away for me is how very important it is to have very good automobile insurance coverage ..... strong insurance is the #1 most important item in your car ...... don't you know it!

If they were 20 years old would you feel any different?

I guess call me crazy but my personal opinion, a hit and run is a hit and run.

Accidents happen sure, its unfortunate but leaving the scene of an accident, running to Plymouth while people "chase" you is a blatant disregard for the law and honestly a disrespect to the person you hit. That person should have their license stripped regardless of age and be persecuted accordingly to the law. If they were a senior citizen than even more shame on you, we can say oh a child doesn't know right from wrong well a senior has had 65+ years to figure out right and wrong. Its not a matter of wanting to see people get in trouble, its a matter of doing the right thing. What happens now when they let this person go and next time he plows through a cross walk and kills 3 people? We just say ahh o well we are all just getting old?
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:48 AM   #12
Susie Cougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnisquamer View Post
If they were 20 years old would you feel any different?

I guess call me crazy but my personal opinion, a hit and run is a hit and run.

Accidents happen sure, its unfortunate but leaving the scene of an accident, running to Plymouth while people "chase" you is a blatant disregard for the law and honestly a disrespect to the person you hit. That person should have their license stripped regardless of age and be persecuted accordingly to the law. If they were a senior citizen than even more shame on you, we can say oh a child doesn't know right from wrong well a senior has had 65+ years to figure out right and wrong. Its not a matter of wanting to see people get in trouble, its a matter of doing the right thing. What happens now when they let this person go and next time he plows through a cross walk and kills 3 people? We just say ahh o well we are all just getting old?
Yes. The most important thing is that you are all right!

I absolutely agree that this driver has to be taken off the road and I hope someone is going to follow up on this.
Susie Cougar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:05 AM   #13
fatlazyless

Default ..... no injuries is what matters most!

At age-68 I have been around the block a few times and know or know some older drivers who still kept driving, only in the day time, just local driving, going slow and being extra cautious.

Twenty years from now, when I am age-88, I sure as heck want to be driving these here NH golden roads ..... and older drivers deserve an easy "let it slide" here ..... No One Hurt is what matters the most.

It is not my decision. It's up to the local police ..... that's what they do.

I have no clue as to anything on the driver ..... age .... or anything, was only casually informed "it was an older guy" ...... and car was located at the senior center.

Senior drivers definitely deserve a break ..... go easy on them.

The end result is there was No One Hurt, my insurance, or his insurance will pay for the body shop to work their magic, or the insurance co will total out my car, give me a payment, and take my car ..... or something.

New Hampshire is a state with uncrowded, beautiful scenic roads, little traffic, and guys in big pickup trucks who stop to help!

As each year passes by, you get another year older ...... that's the way it works ..... you get that! .....

And, in about 20-months, I turn the big 7-0. ......
Old 02-13-2020, 11:45 AM   #14
jbolty

When my dad started losing his eyesight it was not obvious to everyone else how bad it was until mom made some comment about how she had to navigate for him when driving. He never hit anyone and only bumped the wall in the garage one time but turns out he was nearly blind. Giving up driving is a big loss of freedom but even worse is an older person causing a preventable tragedy by continuing to drive past the safe date.
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 12:54 PM   #15
Winilyme

Quote:
At age-68 I have been around the block a few times and know or know some older drivers who still kept driving, only in the day time, just local driving, going slow and being extra cautious.

Twenty years from now, when I am age-88, I sure as heck want to be driving these here NH golden roads ..... and older drivers deserve an easy "let it slide" here ..... No One Hurt is what matters the most.

It is not my decision. It's up to the local police ..... that's what they do.

I have no clue as to anything on the driver ..... age .... or anything, was only casually informed "it was an older guy" ...... and car was located at the senior center.

Senior drivers definitely deserve a break ..... go easy on them.

The end result is there was No One Hurt, my insurance, or his insurance will pay for the body shop to work their magic, or the insurance co will total out my car, give me a payment, and take my car ..... or something.

New Hampshire is a state with uncrowded, beautiful scenic roads, little traffic, and guys in big pickup trucks who stop to help!

As each year passes by, you get another year older ...... that's the way it works ..... you get that! .....

And, in about 20-months, I turn the big 7-0. ......
No FLL. Senior drivers do not deserve a break. We should be understanding and compassionate, yes, but when it comes to driving, you are either capable of driving safely or you are not. If you are not, then the law should take you off the road or responsible adults that observe the declining driving skills should take action to do so. An automobile can be lethal in the hands of an incapable individual regardless of age.
The Following User Says Thank You to Winilyme For This Useful Post:
kawishiwi (02-13-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 12:56 PM   #16
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winilyme View Post
No FLL. Senior drivers do not deserve a break. We should be understanding and compassionate, yes, but when it comes to driving, you are either capable of driving safely or you are not. If you are not, then the law should take you off the road or responsible adults that observe the declining driving skills should take action to do so. An automobile can be lethal in the hands of an incapable individual regardless of age.
By those standards, EVERYBODY should be tested all the time. People of ALL ages do crazy things. But wouldn't that be a big mess.
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
TCC (02-14-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 01:00 PM   #17
Biggd

Thanked 1,068 Times in 673 Posts

I can't wait for self driving cars!
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:02 PM   #18
Winilyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by tis View Post
By those standards, EVERYBODY should be tested all the time. People of ALL ages do crazy things. But wouldn't that be a big mess.
Well yes, that would be a big mess but that's not what I'm suggesting. I'm simply saying that if responsible people observe declining driving skills that are likely to endanger others on the road, then they should take action to change that situation. Ignoring the issue - giving them a break - solves nothing and invites disaster. In FLL's case, the driver hit him and left the scene. What more evidence is need that he/she shouldn't have been on the road?

Maybe it's a medication or medical issue that can be resolved, maybe additional drivers education is needed, maybe a new eyeglasses prescription. Or, maybe the individual has simply reached a point where they can no longer drive safely and should be removed from the road.
The Following User Says Thank You to Winilyme For This Useful Post:
tis (02-13-2020)
Old 02-13-2020, 02:32 PM   #19
Susie Cougar

Quote:
Well yes, that would be a big mess but that's not what I'm suggesting. I'm simply saying that if responsible people observe declining driving skills that are likely to endanger others on the road, then they should take action to change that situation. Ignoring the issue - giving them a break - solves nothing and invites disaster. In FLL's case, the driver hit him and left the scene. What more evidence is need that he/she shouldn't have been on the road?

Maybe it's a medication or medical issue that can be resolved, maybe additional drivers education is needed, maybe a new eyeglasses prescription. Or, maybe the individual has simply reached a point where they can no longer drive safely and should be removed from the road.
I agree 100%! This driver made a huge mistake and it cannot be overlooked.

There was just an article in the Sarasota Newspaper a couple of days ago about the oldest driver in the United States. He’s right here in Sarasota and he’s 107 years old! I loved looking at his picture as he was driving in his convertible with the top down waving to everybody as he drove by.

There is no special age where someone has to automatically stop driving. But when it’s obvious to those around you, they should not get a break.
Susie Cougar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 02:39 PM   #20
Winnisquamer

Quote:

The law is pretty black and white here. And this driver violated it in a manner that happens to kill someone every 43 seconds. Young, old, citizen, non citizen- doesn't matter.

Lets cut them a break though. The guy on his third DUI, cut him a break too..
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 03:10 PM   #21
ApS

Arrow Florida Leads the Nation...FWIW

For those of us wintering in Florida:
Over 100,000 Hit-and-Run crashes per year...

https://www.winknews.com/2019/11/25/...ida-last-year/

About 40 years ago, when both Florida cars became disabled, everyone involved would just run away.

Nowadays, the presence of your license plate indicates you've paid the mandatory auto insurance.

Some morning, you might notice someone has taken your license plate.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:42 PM   #22
fatlazyless

Exclamation Age-66 NH State Medical Card for driving!

There's something called the Federal Motor Safety Act of 1986 or so, applies to all trucks and truck drivers, and is enforced in all 50 states by all state and local police. To drive a truck you must have a (your state) Dept of Transportation medical card which requires a (your state) Dept of Transportation medical exam. Your personal DOT-Med Card from your state with your name on it expires every two years, and for some truck drivers with health issues, it expires every year.

A similar NH driver's medical card, required for all drivers age-66 and older would make the NH roads safer, and probably make the age-66 NH drivers more healthy so they can pass the test because everyone in NH wants to keep on driving.

Here's what the DOT-Med Card for truck drivers tests, every two years; vision, color distinction, blood pressure less than 140/90, hearing, cardiovascular health, medications, urinalysis, physical endurance, medical history, & drug test. Plus, the test is administered by either a medical doctor or an osteopathic doctor who has been DOT-medical examination certified, and the doctor will have a running, casual conversation with you during the various tests to further evaluate you.

http://www.drivebigtrucks.com/blog/d...to-expect-tdi/

In all 50-states, truck drivers are required to wear their seat belt, and get hit with a big fine when caught without wearing their seat belt, correctly.

Does the State of New Hampshire want an age-66 NH Driver's Medical Card requirement for making the roads, more safe? ...... Maybe you want to e-mail your strong opinion on this driving safety issue to your state rep and state senator and state governor ..... today, or maybe tomorrow

New Hampshire is the one and only state, out of all 50-states and Washington DC, where a seat belt is not required for drivers age-18, and older. Only in New Hampshire ....... ! Truck drivers in New Hampshire must wear their seat belt, by federal law, plus you have to be age-21 to get a commercial truck driver's license.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-13-2020 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:21 PM   #23
tis

Quote:
There's something called the Federal Motor Safety Act of 1986 or so, applies to all trucks and truck drivers, and is enforced in all 50 states by all state and local police. To drive a truck you must have a (your state) Dept of Transportation medical card which requires a (your state) Dept of Transportation medical exam. Your personal DOT-Med Card from your state with your name on it expires every two years, and for some truck drivers with health issues, it expires every year.

A similar NH driver's medical card, required for all drivers age-66 and older would make the NH roads safer, and probably make the age-66 NH drivers more healthy so they can pass the test because everyone in NH wants to keep on driving.

Here's what the DOT-Med Card for truck drivers tests, every two years; vision, color distinction, blood pressure less than 140/90, hearing, cardiovascular health, medications, urinalysis, physical endurance, medical history, & drug test. Plus, the test is administered by either a medical doctor or an osteopathic doctor who has been DOT-medical examination certified, and the doctor will have a running, casual conversation with you during the various tests to further evaluate you.

http://www.drivebigtrucks.com/blog/d...to-expect-tdi/

In all 50-states, truck drivers are required to wear their seat belt, and get hit with a big fine when caught without wearing their seat belt, correctly.

Does the State of New Hampshire want an age-66 NH Driver's Medical Card requirement for making the roads, more safe? ...... Maybe you want to e-mail your strong opinion on this driving safety issue to your state rep and state senator and state governor ..... today, or maybe tomorrow!
And do you think all drivers should be drug tested as well, FLL?
Old 02-13-2020, 07:43 PM   #24
fatlazyless

All these truck driver rules are federal laws, enacted by the Federal Motor Safety Act of 1986(or so) and the 2-year dot med card includes a drug test. In addition, many NH truck businesses will have surprise drug tests, including the state. For example the big orange snow plow NH-DOT drivers are state employees and they get sudden, surprise drug tests ....... surprise, pee into this cup, buddy.

New Hampshire is the one and only state without a seat belt requirement, plus there's no NH motorcycle helmet requirement for age-18 and older, so what's the chances for an age-66 med card, or drug testing? The chances are no chance here in NH..... zero.

By the way ...... even Alaska has a seat belt law requirement for all adults ..... but not New Hampshire. New Hampshire does not receive something like three million dollars/year in federal money by not having a seat belt requirement for adults.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:06 PM   #25
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
. In addition, many NH truck businesses will have surprise drug tests, including the state. For example the big orange snow plow NH-DOT drivers are state employees and they get sudden, surprise drug tests ....... surprise, pee into this cup, buddy.
All businesses employing CDL licensed drivers are required to have random drug and alcohol tests. The last testing rate I was aware of requires that 25% of the employees must be tested each year. The required testing rate changes and is published in the Federal Register.

Quote:
There's something called the Federal Motor Truck drivers in New Hampshire must wear their seat belt, by federal law, plus you have to be age-21 to get a commercial truck driver's license.
You can have a Commercial Drivers License in NH if you are under 21. You can only drive intrastate until you turn 21.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:01 AM   #26
tis

In case anyone is interested:

The random drug testing rates for drivers covered under DOT/FMCSA will be increasing from 25% of the pool tested annually for drugs to 50% of the pool tested annually as of January 1, 2020. The random breath alcohol testing remains at 10% of the pool annually.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:15 AM   #27
fatlazyless

At first I was think'n it be best for insurance to pay to repair the damages. Just look'n at it ...... a number like three thousand dollars to repair crosses my mind?

Today is Saturday morning, the hit & run smash-in happened on Wednesday morning ...... and now I'm think'n it could be better to get totaled out by Allstate ..... if I get a payment of say .... $2500 .... and can use it to go buy an identical car to what got hit.

My car is a 2013 Scion xB, with 193,000 miles, a 5-speed stick .... purchased brand new in May, 2014 from Irwin Toyota in Laconia for $15,200-cash.

Last August I was looking to trade it in for a 2016 Kia Soul, 45,000-mile, 5-speed stick, price $7000-cash .... at Irwin Hyundai in Laconia ..... except Irwin would only give me a three hundred dollar trade-in value, plus charge an additional $725 dealer prep fee, on top.

Finding the right 5-speed stick car is not so easy, any more.

If Allstate pays to repair, the xB will go to www.irwinautobody.com for repairing the two doors smash ..... I would probably be better off taking the smash to Irwin for repairs than looking for a used $6500 Scion xB-stick shift in Craigslist or someplace using the totaled payment.

That xB was/is one great little econo-box .... is being driven today with pretty good confidence ..... would not drive it to Boston, but is good to go for local-NH ....this car is not so little .... has a large windshield ..... you sit upright similar to a pickup .... lots of inside space .... right now, costs $22 to fill gas tank, and the dash says it averages 34.7 miles/gallon over it's 193,200 miles drive. Replacing the four 'riginal spark plugs will probably improve the gas mileage.

The Scion xB is a little bit bigger, and probably a whole lot better car than the Kia Soul.

By the way, Allstate in Meredith on Wednesday was immediately very helpful ..... took a number of photos, starting my claim .... in & out of there in like 15-minutes, for starters.

You know it seems to me that you are not really driving a car, what you are driving is an insurance policy.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-15-2020 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:13 AM   #28
fatlazyless

Thursday, Jan 20: Just got an email from Allstate and they give me an estimate of $2180.65 to pay for the side t-bone collision repairs, minus the $250-deductible and I will take it to Irwin Collision in Laconia. Have used Irwin Collision in the past, plus am thinking that Irwin is a Toyota dealer so's could have better access to Scion replacement repair parts. Scion's last year was 2016, and who knows how long my Scion xB will keep on going?

1,092,675 is the number of Scions made from 2003-2015 ..... wikipedia.

Here's an off-the-wall comment ...... last August, Irwin Hyundai would only give me a three hundred dollar trade-in value on my xB toward purchasing a $7000 used 2016 Kia Soul with 50k miles.

And now my insurance, Allstate will pay close to $2000 to get it repaired ..... plus give me a rental car during repairs ..... oh well ..... go figure? ......

Just curious ....... so what would the cost to repair need to be here to get totaled out?
Old 02-20-2020, 08:05 AM   #29
ApS

Question Worth a Try?

State Farm Insurance would normally write me a check at their estimate. Hmm...

Then I'd take the Scion back to trade (unrepaired) on the Kia Soul and take their $300 trade-in offer.

Irwin Hyundai may not accept the trade, but parts for the Scion aren't assured after the Federally-required seven years.

Would Allstate write you a check? It'd be worth a try.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:12 PM   #30
fatlazyless

Default ...... a noodle, some shoe goop, and duct tape!

This six year old Scion with almost 200k miles has been a great car with no parts needing replacement except for brake pads and brake rotors.

With that low trade-in value of just $300 from Irwin, it doesn't make any sense to put the $2000-insurance payment into body work to repair the t-boned doors which both still can be opened and closed and locked.

Will just pocket the $2000 and drive a beat up Scion and maybe drive it for another 50-100,000 miles ...... time will tell!

Once the weather warms up, will throw a quick fix of a noodle, some shoe goop, and silver duct tape to patch it up and fill in the separation between the back door and the frame and it will blend with all the other beaters, out there. ....

With the trailer hitch, front wheel drive and a 5-speed stick ...... it's the #1 best tow vehicle ever made! .....

So far my 2013 Scion xB with 193k miles has been hit by a 70-year old woman in the Plymouth Walmart parking lot, July 2018, Plymouth Police attended, who backed into my car while I was sitting inside my parked car causing about $500 insurance estimate damage; struck by a very fast running, small deer, in April 2019 on the Meredith Neck Rd while driving, Meredith Police attended, causing about $500 insurance estimate damage; and hit by this "old guy?" hit & run Plymouth Police-caught, while driving on 2/12/20 in Plymouth causing about $2000 insurance estimate damage.

In all three incidents, the local police were there soon after; a Plymouth woman police officer, a Meredith male police officer, and a Plymouth male police officer and all three different police officers were right there, doing what they is supposed to do. I got excellent police response/look-see/report-respond with all three different, minor, no personal injury, collisions .... so that probably does a lot to help keep the local roads safe.

Last edited by fatlazyless; 02-22-2020 at 09:17 AM.