Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2015, 01:18 PM   #1
dpg

Default Enough Already!!!

Stop with the prayers for snow, pleeaasssee...
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:42 PM   #2
Phantom

A M E N

and I fully appreciate that it is "White Gold" to some ..... but hell

Old 02-09-2015, 01:44 PM   #3
ITD

More, more, more, just move the brunt to the lakes.......
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 03:16 PM   #4
MGWillia

Default It's Alive!!!!

Name:  al.jpg
Views: 2559
Size:  70.2 KB Watch out!
MGWillia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MGWillia For This Useful Post:
bclaker (02-10-2015), billy (02-10-2015), Flylady (02-10-2015), jerseyonbear (02-10-2015), onceMeg (02-09-2015), PaugusBayFireFighter (02-12-2015), Pineedles (02-10-2015), SteveA (02-10-2015), wynndog (02-10-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 04:39 AM   #5
Paugus bay girl

I've had enough of it myself! This big storm every week is getting ridiculous. No need of it whatsoever. I know its supposed to be snowy in the winter but this is just overkill. I don't know how much longer I can put up with it.
Paugus bay girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2015, 07:42 AM   #6
PaugusBayFireFighter

I just got back from my 4th storm in 10 days. We have over 80" in the last couple weeks in some places just west of Boston.

Another storm Thursday and another nor easter this weekend. The weather pattern we are in is very favorable for storms to develop off the coast and ride up causing big snow. This pattern is stalled over New England. These patterns last 3-5 weeks and we are in week TWO, so get used to it.

I also have a 2 hour drive to and from these storms so I see the highways in both states. New Hampshire should be embarrassed by the way they plow their highways, at least Rt 3 and 93. This photo is driving south through Hooksett on 93 at 11am on Sunday. One of 4 lanes open and not plowed. Cars off the road everywhere...Ridiculous. The roads were wet and completely plowed shortly after the border into Mass. This is not rare, it's the norm.

And my opinion of the snow....BRING IT ON! WHITE GOLD! This will be a very good summer for my family because of the snow but I understand how others may be tired of it.
Attached Images

Last edited by PaugusBayFireFighter; 02-11-2015 at 08:13 AM.
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
gillygirl (02-10-2015), trfour (02-10-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 08:16 AM   #7
JPC

Default Snow reports

My son is clearing my driveway in Milford NH while my wife and I are down in Sebastian FL. He tells me that there is well over 36". The news down here is showing the Boston landscape but nothing about NH. So, how much snow have you gotten in the Lakes area?
JPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 08:38 AM   #8
Phantom

PBFIREFIGHTER -

I couldn't agree with you more !

For different reasons, I too have been on the road during the past few storms (including that Sunday Ice storm)commuting between Gilford to the intersection of 495/290. New Hampshire DOT (especially I93) should be thoroughly embarrassed by their lack of performance this entire season.

I say this because, in my humble opinion, NH has historically been AWESOME about clearing and maintaining their roads .... on trips Northbound I usually could not wait to hit the border and vice versa dread hitting the MA line !

On Sunday, it appears that we were on the road at the exact same time, I was SHOCKED when turning onto 495 South to find it three (of 4) lanes of only wet pavement. And YES PEOPLE -- they got the exact, if not more, snowfall.

Has NH given up on sanding or dropping "O" ?

Old 02-10-2015, 10:48 AM   #9
jrc

I have to agree on the plowing in NH. I've been commuting for 30 years and the NH road were always better than the Mass roads. Last few years NH has really dropped the ball.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 11:19 AM   #10
wynndog

Default mass vs nh

Maybe, move to Mass. & pay the taxes
wynndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:04 PM   #11
Phantom

Wynndog -

I am a taxpaying resident of both States !

and for the record - In general, property taxes are FAR higher in NH !

Don't be fooled by the fact that NH doesn't have a Sales or State Income Tax, etc ....... that's simply a game of Peter paying Paul .... NH has "Fee's" !! Both car & boat registrations "fee's" are outrageous (compared to MA). Real Estate taxes in NH are on average double MA, and so on .......

NH get's it's money --

So to get back on topic --- NH DOT has been dropping the Ball in the last few years !!!

Old 02-10-2015, 01:09 PM   #12
salty dog

Default Unbelievable!

Here's a shot of the the back of the house here in Beverly:
Come on summer!!!

Last edited by salty dog; 02-26-2016 at 04:22 PM.
salty dog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to salty dog For This Useful Post:
PaugusBayFireFighter (02-10-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 01:33 PM   #13
Phantom

this one from my office window -The calendar in the foreground is 6" tall
Attached Images

PaugusBayFireFighter (02-10-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 04:10 PM   #14
Lakegeezer

Default Not enough snow in the Lakes Region

Seriously, keep praying for snow, but face north when you do. There is barely over a foot on the ground in the lakes region and the White Mountain ski areas have plenty of thin spots on the naturally groomed trails.
Misha888 (02-10-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 04:15 PM   #15
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakegeezer View Post
Seriously, keep praying for snow, but face north when you do. There is barely over a foot on the ground in the lakes region and the White Mountain ski areas have plenty of thin spots on the naturally groomed trails.
Face WAY north! While I agree I'd like to see much more at Wildcat and other areas, we have plenty here on the southern edge of the lake. I measured between 2.5 and 3' in my yard in areas where the wind doesn't affect it. Other areas where the snow blows off the lake can be as deep as 6'.

Having just finished moving snow for several hours for about the 3rd or 4th time this week, no mas! Please!
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:18 PM   #16
8gv

Here in northern CT my son and wife have been doing a great job clearing all the snow. I have only a few minor pangs of guilt as I watch out the window.

There is no truth to the rumor that I scheduled my hip replacement surgery for January 22nd to avoid shoveling. No truth at all...
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:37 PM   #17
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynndog View Post
Maybe, move to Mass. & pay the taxes
We pay ~30K in NH property taxes and half that in Waltham. The property tax rate in Waltham is $13/1000. With that you get curb side leaf pick-up included! Just rake to the curb.
Not sure I see as good a return on the Laconia tax.

Just finished another 4 hour snow blower-a-thon. One good thing. The snow has been very light these last storms. That makes a big difference.
Mother Nature is setting eastern Mass up for some serious flooding issues. If you live in metro Boston and have ever had a problem with water, be prepared. It's coming.
Im glad I'm off the job because my fire department is going to be pumping basements for 2 weeks.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:48 PM   #18
wifi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
We pay ~30K in NH property taxes .....
Mi Gaud man, move to another lakefront town, unless you feel paying that is worth it.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wifi For This Useful Post:
Rusty (02-10-2015)
Old 02-10-2015, 06:56 PM   #19
Rusty

Quote:
We pay ~30K in NH property taxes
And your occupation was a fire fighter from Mass. WOW!!! They must have given you one heck of a pension.
Old 02-10-2015, 06:58 PM   #20
Misha888

Default Varney Point Snow Totals

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPC View Post
My son is clearing my driveway in Milford NH while my wife and I are down in Sebastian FL. He tells me that there is well over 36". The news down here is showing the Boston landscape but nothing about NH. So, how much snow have you gotten in the Lakes area?
2.5' . . . we need more on the mountains.
Old 02-10-2015, 09:45 PM   #21
pcmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Here in northern CT my son and wife have been doing a great job clearing all the snow. I have only a few minor pangs of guilt as I watch out the window.

There is no truth to the rumor that I scheduled my hip replacement surgery for January 22nd to avoid shoveling. No truth at all...
8gv where abouts in northern CT. are you? We are in Ellington.
pcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:39 AM   #22
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
And your occupation was a fire fighter from Mass. WOW!!! They must have given you one heck of a pension.
It's 3 family homes on a compound, I said "we" pay, meaning the family. Pensions are good, but hardly enough to pay those taxes. This snow helps a lot since the family business in Waltham is landscaping and snow removal.
My point was that we pay plenty of taxes in BOTH states, so I can complain about BOTH when they fall short on expectations.
The taxes paid in Mass get much more services and return on the cost. Most of the NH tax is because of waterfront.
Old 02-11-2015, 07:17 AM   #23
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcmc View Post
8gv where abouts in northern CT. are you? We are in Ellington.
The posh upscale community of Enfield.

We hope to sell and move to the lake by September.

To be clear, our solution to the excessive cold and snowy weather is to move north.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:21 AM   #24
Phantom

Quote:
My point was that we pay plenty of taxes in BOTH states, so I can complain about BOTH when they fall short on expectations.
I second that !

As a taxpayer it is your god given right to have "expectations" that a significant portion of the monies paid will go to SERVICES that benefit the residents and in the past they have with respect to NH.

As NH brags the fact of no Sales Tax, they make it up in other areas or Fee's .... be assured of that!

To remain ON TOPIC (and not bash PBFirefighter for whatever pension he so justly deserves) the NH DOT has fallen way short of "expectations" for level of service that they themselves set for so many years prior with doing a superior job on the roads (including maintenance- not just snow removal).

and-
WynnDog -- your comment to PBFirefighter was TOTALY inappropriate (shame on you)!

Old 02-11-2015, 07:31 AM   #25
PaugusBayFireFighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
I second that !
As a taxpayer it is your god given right to have "expectations" that a significant portion of the monies paid will go to SERVICES that benefit the residents and in the past they have with respect to NH.

As NH brags the fact of no Sales Tax, they make it up in other areas or Fee's .... be assured of that!

To remain ON TOPIC (and not bash PBFirefighter for whatever pension he so justly deserves) the NH DOT has fallen way short of "expectations" for level of service that they themselves set for so many years prior with doing a superior job on the roads (including maintenance- not just snow removal).

and-
WynnDog -- your comment to PBFirefighter was TOTALY inappropriate (shame on you)!
True Phantom...
Now that I'm full time in NH I can compare costs with both residencies. NH is just as bad, if not worse, than living in Mass when it comes to tax and fees. The only way you make out is figuring in income tax. The rest of the fees are crazy, starting with what it cost to register a car.

I had no problem with wynndogs comment. But I doubt NH tax payers really believe that Mass has their roads clear because the taxes are so high.

Snow removal comes down to planning and the execution of the work force. Massachusetts highways are not plowed by state workers, is NH??
If the DOT does all the highways, then that's the problem. Maybe union plow drivers? Anyone know?
Old 02-11-2015, 07:37 AM   #26
Phantom

At least for the Interstates, in all my years of traveling up/down to my (aged) recollection I have NEVER seen a private contractor plowing (as is the case in MA)

Old 02-11-2015, 07:44 AM   #27
Rusty

This is how they plow in Mass:

Old 02-11-2015, 07:54 AM   #28
Phantom

Figured someone had to dig that one up out of the past .......

BTW - If I recall correctly ... the driver was fired.

Old 02-11-2015, 07:58 AM   #29
wynndog

Default to phantom

Where do you see my comment was directed to PBFirefighter.?I served in the USN for every cop & firefighter,and YOU.I also thank them too;(publicly) for protecting me.I was referring to taxes here. Belknap county is 1/4 of my taxes I paid in Pa.and,my military discount cuts it in half!! There are many others that posted about Mass. VS Nh. taxes, not just PBF. My point is; one is free to live in any state. Wifi has it right.
So, suck in the taxes,and the people who were voted in, or one can move.
wynndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 07:59 AM   #30
PaugusBayFireFighter

But Rusty...that's just a city road in Lowell...NH plow drivers do that on the interstate!

I too have not seen any private contractors on the highways in NH. I'm pretty sure that's the problem. It makes sense that roads plowed by NH State workers would be worse off than roads plowed by private contractors in tandem with Mass DOT. The Mass crews have GPS watching them too. It's not like the old days, cameras and GPS keep the private guys going knowing the money stops if the state tells you to beat it. Not to mention, there's no union telling the state when they will plow.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:01 AM   #31
Phantom

Apologies (Publicly) -

I read your comment to mean PBFirefighter received an undeservedly high pension for being a Firefighter ............

Old 02-11-2015, 08:31 AM   #32
Rusty

Quote:
Apologies (Publicly) -

I read your comment to mean PBFirefighter received an undeservedly high pension for being a Firefighter ............

Chill Phantom...I'm the one who brought up the pension comment, and it was only a question and not a slam toward anyone. I thought that Firefighter was the only one (and not some of his relatives) who paid the 30K in taxes and he clarified that in another post.

IMO I think all the plow drivers in both states deserve some credit for trying to keep the roads clear. I could never do what they do.
Old 02-11-2015, 08:58 AM   #33
chipj29

I have been commuting to MA for 19 years. Several years ago I replied to posts on this forum about the difference between the roads in MA and the roads in NH. At that time, I believed that the roads in NH were way better than the roads in MA. That was a fact at that time.
However, it has done a complete 180. Now the roads in NH are worse than in MA. The past few storms I have left my house and driven on very snowy state roads, including 3A in Bow and Hooksett, and state highways including I-93 and I-293/Everett Turnpike. However when crossing the border into MA, the roads went from snow-covered to mostly bare pavement. Consider me surprised at this.

I know that MA uses private contractors, and I am sure that the state of NH also does. I don’t think that was always the case, but they do use them now. I have seen them out on the highways.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:47 AM   #34
AC2717

Quote:
this one from my office window -The calendar in the foreground is 6" tall
Hi Phantom
do you have official snow fall numbers for our area, I live in Maynard
Acton is closest but it is at 14.6 as on monday at 5:49pm and we know the storm did not stop until 12 hours later
I am trying to win a bet on it - nice bottle of booze
Old 02-11-2015, 11:13 AM   #35
Phantom

AC -

What do you want it to be ??

My wife works for a contract plowing firm and has a "service" that they subscribe to that pumps out "official" tally (from which they bill customers) but it doesn't report until 48 hours post event. With that said, she also mentions that Maynard is 99% of the time the same as Acton. Perhaps using the same data ?

Old 02-11-2015, 11:30 AM   #36
AC2717

Quote:
AC -

What do you want it to be ??

My wife works for a contract plowing firm and has a "service" that they subscribe to that pumps out "official" tally (from which they bill customers) but it doesn't report until 48 hours post event. With that said, she also mentions that Maynard is 99% of the time the same as Acton. Perhaps using the same data ?

If you could find out that would be awesome, just will need the proof
16 inches is a push, everything over that means a win for me
Old 02-11-2015, 04:16 PM   #37
Phantom

Todays chuckle

Attached Images

Old 02-11-2015, 05:52 PM   #38
pcmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
The posh upscale community of Enfield.

We hope to sell and move to the lake by September.

To be clear, our solution to the excessive cold and snowy weather is to move north.
Hey congratulations on your plans!

With the winters we have been having around here, you may be getting a break from the snow if you hunker down in the right spot.

(Sorry everyone for interruption.)
pcmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:35 PM   #39
fatlazyless

... 6-10" snow over night; predicted for Wednesday, Feb 17; starting at about 7-pm, in beautiful, Meredith, NH ..... gotta go gas up the roof rake!