Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 10-13-2014, 10:45 AM   #1
Shreddy

Default Helping to give back

Hey everyone - due to a busy schedule of work and school I have not been able to enjoy time at the lake much since the Labor Day weekend. Fall is arguably my favorite time of year up there to take advantage of hiking, boating, peace & quiet, etc. Unfortunately, I won't be able to be there next weekend either as I'm participating in a fundraiser to help raise money for a program called Mammograms in Action which provides assistance to qualified low income women and men who do not have health insurance but would like to be tested for breast cancer. Being a full time student, I don't have the disposable income to donate as much as I'd like but this is my chance to try and help raise money for the cause. I can honestly say I'm thankful we have testing because my Mom was diagnosed years ago and is now a healthy survivor of breast cancer and she still enjoys the lake on a regular basis. If I can help out a little bit, then I'll be happy.

I think it goes without saying how important cancer awareness is in our current era. In the past, I've always donated immaterial amounts of money but now I'm raising money. Cancer is something you really don't appreciate or understand until it personally affects you. Fortunately and unfortunately for me, both of my parents have been diagnosed with cancer in the past. My father fought colon cancer and my mother fought breast cancer. If the breast cancer wasn't enough for my mom, she was also diagnosed with melanoma and fought that as well. It's an unfortunate circumstance but I'm fortunate that they fought through and both are healthy and positive survivors.

I've signed up and will be participating in a Crossfit event called Barbells for Boobs where we raise money to help support the fight against breast cancer. The workout is October 18th and I've set a goal to raise $500, which may be ambitious. I'm over halfway to my goal but looking for additional help. I know disposable income isn't a regular commodity nowadays but a donation of ANY amount would be GREATLY APPRECIATED. Here is the link to my donation page if interested!

https://fundraise.barbellsforboobs.o...se?fcid=356558

Here is a picture of one of my nephews enjoying his time at the lake this past weekend with my family. They all took advantage of the Sandwich Fair and also took the boat out of the water. He was wearing my mom's Breast Cancer Survivor hat around with his Brady jersey helping to cover the boat for the winter!
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2014, 06:18 AM   #2
Den65

Default Lets Help out for breast cancer

Many hands make light work, how about putting up a few dollars to help him make his goal. Maybe don't have that coffee out today and donate. He is correct until it hits close to home you don't know............my bother has colon cancer. Cancer no matter where it is SUCKS.
Den65 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Den65 For This Useful Post:
Shreddy (10-14-2014)
Old 10-14-2014, 07:28 AM   #3
mcdude

Thanked 1,044 Times in 490 Posts

Saw this on FB the other day and it cracked me up. thought I'd share.....
Attached Images

mcdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2014, 07:53 AM   #4
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den65 View Post
Many hands make light work, how about putting up a few dollars to help him make his goal. Maybe don't have that coffee out today and donate. He is correct until it hits close to home you don't know............my bother has colon cancer. Cancer no matter where it is SUCKS.
I appreciate it! This is the least I can do to try and help out. I can't help everyone, but thankfully I can help some. I knock on wood and hope that I never need to utilize the research and help that everyone provides, but if I do, I'll be happy knowing I helped out along the way.