Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating > Boat Repairs & Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 04-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #1
bajabob1000

Default Need Boat Bottom Painted

looking to have a 26 ft 260 Searay Sundancer bottom painted.
Can any one recoumend someone in the lake winni area who is mobil
Boat is on stands, and has never been bottom painted.
bajabob1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
Just Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajabob1000 View Post
looking to have a 26 ft 260 Searay Sundancer bottom painted.
Can any one recoumend someone in the lake winni area who is mobil
Boat is on stands, and has never been bottom painted.
Are you going to be in the lake or ocean? If you are in the lake I cannot see any need to paint the bottom of the boat. Now if you are going to be in the ocean then yes paint it.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Fresh water

Not sure why you want to paint the bottom of fresh water boat, unless you want to mask scratches and dings.

If you moor or slip your boat all summer, a good pressure wash will remove the scum. I find waxing your boat bottom and leaving the residue on helps in removing the scum in the fall.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
NoBozo

In most cases, painting the bottom of a fiberglass freshwater boat will De-Value the boat considerably, especially a performance boat. If the boat was already painted..then that's a different story.. You're pretty much stuck with it. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:27 PM   #5
fpartri497

Default hull waxing

question: Is there really any benefit to waxing
the Hull below the water line ? i have been told that id you do its a waste of time because the water quickly wears it off. anyone think thats true ?

Old 04-09-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
HellRaZoR004

I also heard it made it more difficult for valet fork lift drivers in addition to slowing down the boat on the water. ???
HellRaZoR004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

The benefit to waxing the bottom of a boat is negligible in my eyes. I have a neighbor that does it, and his boat doesn't stay any cleaner below the water line then mine does. A mid summer cleaning is the only way to beat the grime.
I also doubt that there is any measurable performance impact either good or bad.

Now if you trailering your boat all the time, an nice polished hull does have an appeal..

As for painting the hull in fresh water, it is neither here nor there... Some people say it has a impact on the value of the boat, but that is bogus... In my mind the issue is that once you have painted the bottom it starts to wear and eventually you have to re-apply... so it is just one more maintenance issue... which in the fresh water you just don't need.
Old 04-09-2013, 04:47 PM   #8
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin View Post
As for painting the hull in fresh water, it is neither here nor there... Some people say it has a impact on the value of the boat, but that is bogus... .
Just an observation: If a Cigarette, Baha, Donzi, Formula....etc is For Sale..with a painted bottom......it will be an Orphan. I suggest YOUR premise is Bogus. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:00 PM   #9
Resident 2B

I am looking at used boats this spring and I have seen two that I liked. Both were stated to be "freshwater only", but they both had marine bottom paint. I am still looking, as I will not buy a boat for the lake that has its bottom painted.

The rule of supply and demand comes into play here. I, for one, believe there is much lower demand for a boat with bottom paint than there is for a boat without bottom paint.

I have had two salt water boats in the 1990s and sanding/painting the bottom each year was a royal pain. In addition, that paint is nasty especially when being sanded. You do not want to inhale it or get any sanding residue in your eyes or mouth.

Just my opinion, but it is based on experience.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:02 PM   #10
SAB1

To some, a painted bottom does devalue as it typically means the boat has been in the salt. If it hasn't it still can lead to a bit of devalue because it becomes a maintenance project to keep it looking good if one cares. I have found over the years waxing the bottom of the hull helps a bit when removing the scum on the boat but its pretty neglible impact. For boats that heavily marred by the rusty color that can be gotten off with with bartenders friend and a little elbow grease.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #11
bajabob1000

The boat has minor damage and scrapes on botton, and boat will see
mixed used.
bajabob1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 07:56 PM   #12
Resident 2B

If mixed use means some salt water and if it has scrapes, then time to paint the bottom. I do not think the bottom paint is waterproof, but I have not been in salt water for almost 20 years and a lot of development in paints has happened in the last 20 years.

My concern is water seeping through the scraps causing more trouble. You might want to address the scraps before you paint, at least talk with someone who knows fibreglass and morden bottom paints. The ocean marinas should be able to help here.

Good luck with it.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:32 AM   #13
Rich

I have an older boat (a 1990 27 ft cruiser) that had a strange partial bottom paint on it that was mostly worn off and ready to be applied anyway.

By 'strange partial' I mean that the bottom paint didn't even come close to being above the water line as you moved to the stern of the boat, but was above the water line at the bow. It really made me wonder why someone would bottom paint a boat like this. It makes no sense at all.

When cleaning the boat with On-Off this past fall (wow is that easy to do), it also removed most of the worn out bottom paint too. If I hadn't run out of On-Off and daylight last fall, I would have continued to remove the rest of the old bottom paint as it's so easy to clean the hull with the On-Off.

So if you are thinking of bottom painting your boat for the lake, ask yourself why? The bottom cleaners are very easy to use and inexpensive.

To those that don't like bottom paint on a boat, it's probably very easy to remove it if you dont like it, especially on a fiberglass boat. So don't rule out a bottom painted boat.

Now that I'm going to be selling my boat, I'm trying to decide if I should finish the job of removing the old bottom paint. It almost washes off with the right 'remover'.
Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #14
jrc

Bajabob1000 says his boat is a Searay, a lot of them come from the factory with bottom paint, especially the cruisers. He may have no choice in matter.

I know when I was shopping a few years ago, Irwin told me it was impossible to buy a v-drive boat from Searay without bottom paint because the hull of the boat was not cosmetically finished. The paint was the finish coat.

I did not bottom paint my lake boat, just my acid wash every fall.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 05:36 AM   #15
Belmont Resident

Have you tried dealers or boat detailing places for info?
Old 04-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #16
codeman671

Lets just answer his question...Everyone will have a different opinion on the need for it.

Call Matt at Supreme Marine.

I am sure Ron's Fiberglass USA could do it as well.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #17
gf2020

I would call Andy Brousseau at Complete Marine Care in Tuftonboro.

http://www.completemarinecare.com/
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote