Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winni Pets
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2010, 07:32 PM   #1
Tadpole

Default The Old Dog

Old dogs appeal to me. They are past the teething, chewing, training, rambunctious stages. They've sowed their wild oats, and want nothing more than to live their final years in comfort, loving their person and being loved in return.

Hope you enjoy this poem.

The Old Dog

One by one they pass my cage,
Too old, too worn, too broken, no way.
Way past his time, he can't run and play.
Then they shake their heads slowly and go on their way.

A little old man, arthritic and sore,
It seems I am not wanted any more.
Once I had a home, once I had a bed,
A place that was warm and where I was fed.

Now my muzzle is grey and my eyes slowly fail;
Who wants a dog so old and so frail?
My family decided I didn't belong,
I got in their way, my attitude was wrong.

Whatever excuse they made in their head,
Can't justify how they left me for dead.
Now I sit in this cage, where day after day,
The younger dogs get adopted away.

When I had almost come to the end of my rope,
You saw my face and I finally had hope.
You saw through the grey and the legs bent with age,
And felt I still had life beyond this cage.

You took me home, gave me food and a bed,
And shared your own pillow with my poor, tired head.
We snuggle and play and you talk to me low,
You love me so dearly, you want me to know.

I may have lived most of my life with another,
But you outshine them with a love so much stronger.
And I promise to return all the love I can give,
To you, my dear Person, as long as I live.

I may be with you for a week, or for years,
We will share many smiles, you will no doubt shed tears.
And when the time comes that God deems I must leave,
I know you will cry and your heart it will grieve.

And when I arrive at the Bridge, all brand new,
My thoughts and my heart will still be with you.
And I will brag to all who will hear,
Of the person who made my last days so dear.
ApS (01-07-2010), Aquadeziac (01-16-2010), Argie's Wife (01-06-2010), eillac@dow (01-20-2010), mcdude (01-09-2010), Pepper (01-06-2010), Rattlesnake Gal (01-26-2010), robmac (02-03-2010), WinnDixie (01-09-2010)
Old 01-07-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
ApS

Default Revisiting Echoes of an Old Dog...

This most recent mention of "The Bridge" reminds me that a recent pet loss might be softened by composing a poem or other tribute to share here. Within the last two months, I held back from offering a true event I composed here more than five years ago.

The occasion of writing the below event drew from a forum thread: we were discussing the saddest wilderness vocalization in Nature—the loud "Wail Call" of the Loon. The Loon's "wail" presents itself as though in lonely mourning for something lost.

Upon reading this previous poem of an old dog, this seems to be the proper time and place to post this tribute once again.

Echoing Memories

My old dog Fritz stood by the front door after his dinner.

It was the "wrong" door: We had a perfectly good back door with only a single step into a huge fenced-in yard . Fritz was 16 years old -- blind -- and three years past having heard anything at all. Sensing my approach, he wagged his tail as best he could...so...I opened the door he had selected. He waddled down the four steps into a darkness that was equally black to both of us.

He wouldn't want to go far... the yard was wet and, though this was Florida, a very cold, windy, drizzle had dominated the evening. I left the front door slightly ajar, so Fritz could "nose" his way back inside; after all, he was trusting and trustworthy. A long-distance telephone call from an old friend interrupted.

It was the second call in as many days regarding the U.S. Navy's U.S.S. Stark, patrolling off Iraq's coast. A friend had been aboard the ship participating as a civilian field representative when it was struck by two Iraqi Exocet missiles -- with 27 fatalities.

I couldn't hear the caller very well now, as the rain had become hail -- rattling firmly on the skylights of our cathedral ceiling.

I sat down on the hallway floor, changing to a portable phone on the way. Our friend was, thankfully, uninjured. Comforted by the good news and, after commiserating for a few minutes with the caller, I dropped into my overstuffed chair with relieved thoughts and re-opened my book.

Then came this distant faint wail: "Ah-Oooooooooooo" -- Holy Moly! Fritz!

Fritz' wet footprints were present, but Fritz wasn't on the front porch.

Another "Ah-Oooooooooooo" -- now from next door.

Our neighbors had left on a cruise, and there stood Fritz sitting below a dim porch light -- once again at the wrong door!

I splashed over in cold and wet stocking feet, and scooped up my dog. Fritz was even colder and wetter than I, and seemed to be shivering his last. Getting him home, I firmly rubbed his coat dry with fresh fluffy towels. (My spouse, an RN, had switched on an electric blanket in the guest bedroom -- no small sacrifice on her part).

Under the electric blanket, he gradually regained normalcy -- with his ears actually warm for the first time in years -- and by morning seemed none the worse for the experience.

He continued soldiering on for another six months -- unconditional love personified -- collapsing at last in our hallway.

Two decades later, on a black -- and bitterly cold -- autumn evening at Lake Winnipesaukee, I step out into the blackness to retrieve a few logs for the woodstove. As I pick up the last log, I hear a wail, "Ah-Oooooooooooo".

It is the sad, mournful, voice of a Loon -- of course. "Ah-Oooooooooooo" -- fainter this time.

Arms full, I close the door behind me with my heel, place the logs next to the stove, and dab at my wet eyes with my sleeve.

It's been twenty years, but...

Sounds carry.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
eillac@dow (01-20-2010), Newbiesaukee (01-12-2010), Pepper (01-16-2010), Rattlesnake Gal (01-26-2010), robmac (02-03-2010)
Old 01-09-2010, 09:58 AM   #3
Nagigator

Default thanks........

APS,That was just beautiful. Moved me to tears, and had me thinking of my dog Niki, gone now five years........

Last edited by Nagigator; 01-09-2010 at 10:59 AM. Reason: to clarify
Nagigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:02 AM   #4
Silver Duck

APS

Thank you for sharing that with us. It moved me to tears, as well.

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 02:12 PM   #5
Tadpole

Default Footprints

That was a wonderful story - thank you so much for sharing. Though our furbabies pass on, they leave their footprints in our hearts. As hard as it is to lose them, I wouldn't miss the journey for anything.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:56 PM   #6
WinnDixie

Default Says it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole View Post
That was a wonderful story - thank you so much for sharing. Though our furbabies pass on, they leave their footprints in our hearts. As hard as it is to lose them, I wouldn't miss the journey for anything.
Well said, Tadpole. We've had heartbreak several times, and presently have another to love--for awhile! But, the main thing really is: would not miss the journey!! The experience is beyond rich and rewarding.
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 07:15 PM   #7
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

As you know, APS, it was particularly sad for me this day. You posted it before you knew too.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 06:54 PM   #8
Aquadeziac

Default doggy heaven

For what its worth, when we lost our beloved Ivan, our Vet made us aware of this site: www.doggyheaven.com and it helped greatly during our peroid of grief. It gave us a chance to share in others' grief and them a chance to share in ours. Hope this is helpful.