Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2019, 02:30 PM   #1
Sammy

Default PWC Advice

Looking to purchase a new PWC. Looking for reliability, comfortable ride, not overly concerned about speed, 45-50 is plenty. Price is also a concern that's why I'm looking in the recreation category. Sea Doo GTI vs Yamaha VX. Advice on either is welcome.
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 02:48 PM   #2
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy View Post
Looking to purchase a new PWC. Looking for reliability, comfortable ride, not overly concerned about speed, 45-50 is plenty. Price is also a concern that's why I'm looking in the recreation category. Sea Doo GTI vs Yamaha VX. Advice on either is welcome.
If you're not into super fast then stay away from supercharged models. They require more maintenance and a non super charged model is plenty fast enough for most.
I bought a Sea Doo Gti 130 and it will do 55mph with one person. It's super reliable and needs very little maintenance. If you want a little more speed they have a GTI 155. Basically the same machine with a little more horse power.
Sea Doo and Yamaha are the most popular. I looked at both and decided on Sea Doo after all my research. If I had to buy another one the only thing I would do different is to go with the GTI 155.
I haven't been on a Yamaha VX but friends who have used mine say the Yamaha feels heavier and doesn't handle as well as the Sea Doo. I can't confirm this but I've heard this more often than not.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:33 PM   #3
burgerunh

We got a non supercharged 2018 Yamaha FX Cruiser HO last summer. All I can say is it was bullet proof reliable and is an awesome machine. It goes plenty fast, about as fast as you dare. I would highly recommend it.
burgerunh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:20 PM   #4
Heading4thelake

Default Agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
If you're not into super fast then stay away from supercharged models. They require more maintenance and a non super charged model is plenty fast enough for most.
I bought a Sea Doo Gti 130 and it will do 55mph with one person. It's super reliable and needs very little maintenance. If you want a little more speed they have a GTI 155. Basically the same machine with a little more horse power.
Sea Doo and Yamaha are the most popular. I looked at both and decided on Sea Doo after all my research. If I had to buy another one the only thing I would do different is to go with the GTI 155.
I haven't been on a Yamaha VX but friends who have used mine say the Yamaha feels heavier and doesn't handle as well as the Sea Doo. I can't confirm this but I've heard this more often than not.
I also started with Sea-doo , as far as i'm concerned they are very reliable machines ! I now have four of them and service them every year at Irwin Marine on 28A in Alton with no complaints.
Heading4thelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:27 PM   #5
Biggd

Thanked 1,070 Times in 675 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heading4thelake View Post
I also started with Sea-doo , as far as i'm concerned they are very reliable machines ! I now have four of them and service them every year at Irwin Marine on 28A in Alton with no complaints.
I'm going to buy another one, probably the GTI 155 and a double trailer. I've put more hours on the Sea Doo the past two years than I have on my boat. I only use the boat now when we have company. If it's just me and my wife we hop on the Sea Doo.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2019, 08:59 PM   #6
GTO

Default Gti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I'm going to buy another one, probably the GTI 155 and a double trailer. I've put more hours on the Sea Doo the past two years than I have on my boat. I only use the boat now when we have company. If it's just me and my wife we hop on the Sea Doo.
Traded in my 10 year old GTX in August for a 2018 GTI 155. What a great machine. Better handling than the GTX.
Biggd (02-06-2019), Heading4thelake (02-06-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 12:20 PM   #7
Sammy

Thanks for the comments. For those who purchased new, did you buy the trailer & mooring cover at the same time or separately?
Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 02:08 PM   #8
Sam603

The Boat show is a good time to purchase, it is this weekend and many manufacturers offer discounts as well as extended warranties. I would purchase the trailer at the same time. I have a 2018 Yamaha FX cruiser HO and find it to be more stable than the Sea Doo. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Sam603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 03:30 PM   #9
codeman671

I have owned Yamaha, Seadoo and Polaris over the years. I prefer Yamaha. Not a fan of the DESS key setup on Seadoo. I lost one on a vest that blew out of the boat one time and had to tow the machine back to shore and haul to the dealer for a new one to be coded (couldn't find the spare either).

The Yamaha FX HO and FX SHO and SVHO are great machines. They are a solid ride and very reliable.

I haven't ridden any of the newer ones that have reverse on a trigger, like the Seadoo with IBR or 2016 and newer Yamahas. My next one will have this setup. So much easier!
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 07:45 PM   #10
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,152 Times in 899 Posts

I have had both SeaDoos and Yamaha's. For the last 20 years or so I have only had Yamaha's.

I have found them to be very reliable and I have noticed that the companies renting jet skis on Winnipesaukee use primarily Yamaha's. Lake's Region Jet Ski Rentals in the Weirs Channel only uses Yamaha's.

In the Fort Myers Beach area of Florida there are at least 5 waterfront jet ski rental companies and most of them have 8 to 12 machines. The ones I have seen are mostly, if not all, Yamaha's.

To me that says something. The people who make their living renting these to inexperienced tourists who will probably abuse them prefer Yamaha's. I think that says a lot about the dependability of them.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 10:47 AM   #11
chillininnh

Certain Sea Doo models have IBR modules that can fail regularly after warranty has expired and they're expensive. For my money, Yamaha is the choice.
chillininnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 07:54 AM   #12
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillininnh View Post
Certain Sea Doo models have IBR modules that can fail regularly after warranty has expired and they're expensive. For my money, Yamaha is the choice.
Second that.....in SW Florida all the hotel rentals use Yamaha's....they drag them over the sand,leave them in salt water all day and they are constantly run up onto sand bars by novice drivers but they keep on running.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 03:11 PM   #13
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,152 Times in 899 Posts
Default Yamaha GP 1800R

BoatTest.com has a good review of the Yamaha GP 1800R.

https://www.boattest.com/review/yamaha/3832_gp1800r
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
LarryLesch (02-12-2019)