Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
AKADQ

Exclamation Watch out for Moultonborough Building Contractor

Has any forum member or anyone you know been victomized by a Moultonborough Building contractor recently or in the past 10 years...
AKADQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AKADQ For This Useful Post:
eillac@dow (12-16-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 02:55 PM   #2
Belmont Resident

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKADQ View Post
Has any forum member or anyone you know been victomized by a Moultonborough Building contractor recently or in the past 10 years...
Not sure if it is Moultonborough or Meredith but All Quality Construction has been the topic of at least two people in this area being screwed.
The son is now serving time for breaking an entering on someones house they did work on. Do a search I'm sure you will find it.
Sorry to hear about it if you were taken. But there ARE a lot of us around that are good at what we do and take pride in what we do.
Old 12-04-2012, 05:42 PM   #3
inquiring one

Being one of many "moultonborough contractors"
You may want to define " victimized" in your post or just name names. It's hard enough to close a deal these days and the vagueness of the post doesn't help. I'm not positive but I believe the word alleged should still be included as well

Last edited by inquiring one; 12-04-2012 at 05:48 PM. Reason: finished a thought
inquiring one is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to inquiring one For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (12-05-2012), BernerGuy (12-13-2012), CTYankee (12-04-2012), Irrigation Guy (12-04-2012), ITD (12-04-2012), Natt (12-04-2012), Slickcraft (12-04-2012)
Old 12-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #4
songkrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by inquiring one View Post
Being one of many "moultonborough contractors"
You may want to define " victimized" in your post or just name names. It's hard enough to close a deal these days and the vagueness of the post doesn't help. I'm not positive but I believe the word alleged should still be included as well
I agee with the above statement.
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
AKADQ

Default Don't get victimized

Sorry for not giving details at this time but I am trying to use social media in finding other victims of deception from this contractor. I am finding it hard to believe that this contractor out of Moultonborough has not victimized anyone else in the Lakes Region. What I can say at this time is that this contractor has been in trouble for writing bad checks and theft by deception in NH, and I only know this because our attorney had a criminal background check done on this guy. This contractor has also had business cards made out under his name stating that he was incorporated. I only know this because our attorney found out that he nor his business is registered with the state of NH as a business.
I am not trying to punish any repitable contractor out there but only to inform people to be careful of who your dealing with and check with the state of NH or BBB to see if they are a legit business.
If a contractor can go home at night with a good conscience than you have nothing to worry about and the people in your community that you conduct business with will know that as well...
Sponsored Links
Old 12-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #6
Rusty

Quote:
Sorry for not giving details at this time but I am trying to use social media in finding other victims of deception from this contractor. I am finding it hard to believe that this contractor out of Moultonborough has not victimized anyone else in the Lakes Region. What I can say at this time is that this contractor has been in trouble for writing bad checks and theft by deception in NH, and I only know this because our attorney had a criminal background check done on this guy. This contractor has also had business cards made out under his name stating that he was incorporated. I only know this because our attorney found out that he nor his business is registered with the state of NH as a business.
I am not trying to punish any repitable contractor out there but only to inform people to be careful of who your dealing with and check with the state of NH or BBB to see if they are a legit business.
If a contractor can go home at night with a good conscience than you have nothing to worry about and the people in your community that you conduct business with will know that as well...
I would say that you didn't do your homework very well if you hired this guy to do some building/renovating for you.

Just my opinion.
Belmont Resident (12-05-2012), NHBUOY (12-07-2012)
Old 12-05-2012, 06:19 AM   #7
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
I would say that you didn't do your homework very well if you hired this guy to do some building/renovating for you.

Just my opinion.
Although not enough info is available in this instance I agree Rusty.
To many people will just hire based upon the initial meet and greet thinking the contractor talks a good talk and seems knowledgeable about the work.
I tell prospective customers call Sherwin Williams they only give out the names of contractors that do quality work. I also have a portfolio both online and in a book. I have the names of builders who I've done work for so someone can cross reference the homeowner and the builder.
Still about 50% people who hire me do so because they like my presentation and are left feeling comfortable with me. The other 50% do so because I was referred to them.
I have walked away from many a job where the homeowner found someone cheaper to do the job. I've also done so knowing full well that the contractor they selected has had complaints about their work, but in the end what can I do. If I say something it taken that I'm saying it just because I'm not the one they selected. So I walk away knowing I gave it my best shot.
This summer it happened on an island job. The contractor who did get the job has a long history of failed paint jobs because they are a jack of all trades, so instead of concentrating on being good at one thing they do they are just ok at everything they do. The homeowner see's a nice new painted house today, but in 3-5 years his house needs to be repainted.
Sad!
Old 12-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #8
dpg

Quote:
Yeah right now a pretty vague and meaningless post.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dpg For This Useful Post:
Rusty (12-06-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 02:57 PM   #9
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
I think you should ask that people PM you
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
AKADQ (12-06-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 04:06 PM   #10
AKADQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
I think you should ask that people PM you
Thanks for the advice. People have been PM'ing and calling with there support. Like I said in my previous post, I am using social media and being proactive in protecting myself and gathering information as I move forward with my incident. In addition, inform people that these things are still going on and can happen to anyone. My intentions are not to offend any contractors out there but to inform the public to know who your dealing with because not everyone is honest.
I didn't PM you back Inquiring One but I accept your oppology...
Old 12-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #11
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

We all appreciate honest and informative reviews, both positive and negative but watch out, you could be sued if you're not careful. There is an article going around that describes a Virginia women being sued for $750,000 for posting a review on Yelp because the contractor she criticised considered it defamation and claimed that it damaged his business. It will be interesting to see how the case turns out.

If your criticism is reasonable, honest and accurate it's unlikely you'll have trouble but if your intent is to damage a business you could find yourself in need of a lawyer.

Here's the article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...f15_story.html
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to webmaster For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (12-06-2012), BroadHopper (12-13-2012), nhboat61 (12-06-2012), upthesaukee (12-06-2012)
Old 12-06-2012, 09:03 PM   #12
inquiring one

No Problem, I didn't mean for it to get ugly....again best of luck
inquiring one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 11:31 AM   #13
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Exclamation Statement of Work

The trouble with most work done by builders and contractors is there is no written statement of work. A verbal agreement and a handshake.

This will never stand up in court. I learn from experience that a detail of the work is written and the contractor will quote a price. When both parties are in agreement it must be in writing. The staement of work must be followed to the letter. If there are any changes to be made, it must be in writing.

The problem is that most contractors walk away from a SOW. The honest ones will give you a quote. If you do your homework up front, you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 12-16-2012, 06:44 AM   #14
Belmont Resident

Default I do both

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
The trouble with most work done by builders and contractors is there is no written statement of work. A verbal agreement and a handshake.

This will never stand up in court. I learn from experience that a detail of the work is written and the contractor will quote a price. When both parties are in agreement it must be in writing. The staement of work must be followed to the letter. If there are any changes to be made, it must be in writing.

The problem is that most contractors walk away from a SOW. The honest ones will give you a quote. If you do your homework up front, you shouldn't have a problem.
While many of my jobs are referrals some are not. But either way I try to size up the person I'm dealing with and approach the job accordingly.
In almost all cases I do provide a written estimate breaking down the scope of the job, but I also do a fair amount or repeat work where the customer just says do it. Or I give a ballpark price for labor and materials are what they are, I do not make a dime off my materials anyways.
Each job is different.
Oh and unless fraud can be proved most times a homeowner has no recourse in court. I can paint your house and one year later it is pealing, good luck proving I did something wrong. Do I believe this is right, no. I wish we all had to be licensed by the state. this would also make it easier for us to report unlicensed or out of state contractors who in my opinion should not be taking work away from NH contractors. It is sad and there are a lot of shady contractors out there, but there are also a lot of really great contractors that I personally have met over the years in this area.
I personally will not hand out a contractors name unless I am willing to take the consequences for their workmanship.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:09 AM   #15
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

I admire the way you handle your business, BR. I don't think most contractors want to give you a price on a job, let alone a written contract.. In fact, on lots of the bills I have gotten when I have had work done, I have gotten a bill with a total, not even number of hours or price per hour-something I don't like at all.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Belmont Resident (12-16-2012)
Old 12-16-2012, 12:26 PM   #16
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Licensing

I agree with licensing of subcontractors. If the state gets complaints the state can yank the license.

I have never had a union contractor work for me and I was told the union will yank a contractor's membership if they get complaints. Hiring a union contractor guarantee good workmanship? maybe some of you living in union states can answer this question.
Old 12-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #17
tis

Thanked 1,379 Times in 955 Posts

Quote:
I agree with licensing of subcontractors. If the state gets complaints the state can yank the license.

I have never had a union contractor work for me and I was told the union will yank a contractor's membership if they get complaints. Hiring a union contractor guarantee good workmanship? maybe some of you living in union states can answer this question.
I don't think it does. Rules and laws (and unions) don't equal the desired results.
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (12-16-2012)
Old 12-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #18
wifi

The state sunseted the licensing of many things years ago, because it couldn't afford the administration cost. Perhaps there could be some way for those that want licensed contractors to share this cost ?
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 04:18 PM   #19
songkrai

Quote:
Here we go. More state bureaucracy. And higher costs for all with annual licensing fees.

How about some common sense and ask for referrals?
How about visiting some of these referrals?

How about a written contract if one is so concerned?
How about setting up a payment schedule so that if work is not completed correctly money is still held by the purchaser of such?
songkrai is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to songkrai For This Useful Post:
Electric man (12-17-2012), Irish mist (12-16-2012), jeffk (12-17-2012), RailroadJoe (12-16-2012), secondcurve (12-18-2012), tis (12-16-2012), Winnisquamguy (12-16-2012)
Old 12-16-2012, 06:16 PM   #20
RailroadJoe

SONGKRAI You hit the nail on the head. Leave it to the government to control another thing. What next - a license to swim in the lake.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote