Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2018, 10:23 PM   #1
lakevet

Default Mantus vs. Box anchor

Hi folks.,
I'm looking to get a better primary anchor and shift my 8# Danforth onto stern duty. Various threads have spoken highly of both box and mantus anchors and I'm interested in hearing if there is a preference between these two. I have a 23 ft four winns bow rider that weighs 3800 lbs.
Thanks for any input.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
lakevet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lakevet For This Useful Post:
stingray (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 03:39 AM   #2
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

I conducted a TON of research on anchors a few years back and was down to these same two. I ended up with a Mantus because I didn't like the weight, potential collapsibility, and some reports of the eye loop breaking on the box anchor. Since then, a bunch of my friends have gone to Mantus with equal success. For example, on Sunday we anchored in a stiff breeze and were the only boat of 4 near us that didn't drift or have to reset. In fact, two boats were continuously drifting and resetting to the point that we went to them on our way out to discuss anchoring (and, of course, Mantus).

That being said, box anchors, as well as Digger (ishoot308 will be by soon) and Fortress all get good reviews. I'll be sticking with my Mantus 8 pound, though, as it's been two years without a hiccup.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
thinkxingu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:30 AM   #3
winnipiseogee

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkxingu View Post
I'll be sticking with my Mantus 8 pound,
How big of a boat can your 8# mantus hold? I want a new anchor and I'm trying to fit a mantus in my anchor compartment.

Also does anyone have an opinion on the fortress anchors that Parafunalia sells? Those would fit better in the compartment.

I had a box anchor for my last boat. It was great for holding but a serious pain in the butt fold and unfold.

Thanks
winnipiseogee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 06:22 AM   #4
Phantom

I remember thinkxingu's exhaustive research on this …………. but I have to tell you around the same timeframe we moved to the Fortress ( available at Parafunalia) and it has been SUPERB.

It is quite an amazing anchor - it is as light as a feather ( which my wife loves). When you first lift it, you would swear it would not hold a 6' skiff. We have only about 3' of chain leader and this thing grabs first time/ every time & holds steady in the roughest of "sandbar" conditions ---- no more slipping & resetting!

In deep water settings (Fall when the water is not swimmable), we have held other 26 to 32 footers "rafted to us" with ours being the sole anchor !

One trick we have learned with the Fortress -- as it is so lightweight, when dropping anchor in deeper bow waters - allow it a few seconds to "float" to the bottom (10-15 seconds) before reversing into position. It DOES NOT drop like a normal dead weighted anchor.

We have a 26' Crownline Bowrider

stingray (08-21-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 06:47 AM   #5
thinkxingu

The 8# holds our 20' pontoon with the bimini up in a fairly stiff wind. I think 22' would be the largest I'd use an 8# for, but not in heavy wind/chop.

As mentioned in my original response, Fortress gets very good reviews--between Mantus, Digger, box (the brand with the best history is Slide), and Fortress, you can't really go wrong.

Why I chose Mantus over Digger was no mechanics (the Digger has a ratcheting mechanism); why I chose Mantus over Fortress was that there were a fair amount of reviews that mentioned slower/less reliable setting and issues sliding/not resetting when swinging. With our bimini up, we can swing quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnipiseogee View Post
How big of a boat can your 8# mantus hold? I want a new anchor and I'm trying to fit a mantus in my anchor compartment.

Also does anyone have an opinion on the fortress anchors that Parafunalia sells? Those would fit better in the compartment.

I had a box anchor for my last boat. It was great for holding but a serious pain in the butt fold and unfold.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2018, 07:14 AM   #6
Rich

I have a Mantus and love it. It's stuck every time I have deployed it.

I have never tried a box anchor, so I can't compare the two.
Old 08-21-2018, 07:30 AM   #7
Gould1

Box anchor for me! I've held 3 large boats off mine at the same time with no problems. Only thing I don't like is when you are pulling it up it most likely will be loaded with silt and will weigh a ton. You have to dip it multiple times in the water to clean it off. This can be a pain if your trying to pull anchor and get under way when it's windy and trying not to get blown into something or someone. If this happens, I usually will just bring it up to where it is just below the bow and dragging in the water. I'll idle out to a safe spot and then finish pulling it up. By then it will have cleaned it's self off. The plus side is you don't need a chain for it to work, and it will stow away on a small area when folded up.
Gould1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:54 AM   #8
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Prefer the Bruce anchor...….holds in high winds, never fails to dig in to sand or soft bottom
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 08:07 AM   #9
Phantom

I REALLY have issue with the use of "Box Anchors" when at certain sandbars ( Margate, Smalls Cove, Silver Sands) as they are such a potential hazard if stepped on !!

And to those who say "look before you step" -- tell that to the little ones.

Just one man's opinion !!
Old 08-21-2018, 08:36 AM   #10
8gv

The Fortress FX-7 anchor works great for my '08 Sea Ray 240 Sundeck.

It easily fits in the bow locker on an diagonal. The rod is a bit too long to fit positioned traverse to the keel.

I use the same anchor in FL on my 220 Sundeck and it holds that one against rougher seas there.

The Fortress has two settings for the angle of the flukes. See their website for details on that.

Like any anchor, an length of appropriate gauge chain is required.

This anchor is so light that my chain is heavier than the anchor.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 11:56 AM   #11
Hillcountry

I bought The Digger anchor based on Dan’s (ishoot308) experience and haven’t looked back...or had to reset anchor either.
At some point I’ll have a small Mantus for the stern while at sand bars.
Hillcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:36 PM   #12
TheCaptain

It might be old fashioned and a bit heavy, but I've always had good luck with a Navy anchor. It holds the 26' Formula just fine if I do my part and obtain proper scope. Out of the two you mentioned though, I'd go with the Mantus.

My experience with anchors is that the scope can be more important than the design itself - any of the "claw" anchor designs are going to skip along the bottom if your line is straight up and down.
TheCaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheCaptain For This Useful Post:
lakevet (08-21-2018), upthesaukee (08-22-2018)
Old 08-21-2018, 09:49 PM   #13
lakevet

Thanks for the responses. I will look into the fortress anchor now as well. My wife is the one frequently pulling up the anchor and I do not think she will like the weight of a loaded box anchor.
How do the fortress or mantus handle some of the rocker anchor sites?

Old 08-22-2018, 05:35 AM   #14
thinkxingu

Not sure how much research you want to do, but here's one of the videos I watched when I was on my quest: https://youtu.be/l59f-OjWoq0 In the last ten minutes or so, he goes into which he would keep and why. (For those not wanting to watch, he keeps the Fortress as a stern/rowable anchor and a spade for his bow. He does admit his choice is subjective, though, as the Mantus is the "fastest and most reliable setting anchor maybe in the world" but that it doesn't "look beefy enough" and the spade "matches the curves on [his] boat.")

As for rocks with the Mantus, I've never had an issue. My guess is it's the same as any anchor with a point/points.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakevet View Post
Thanks for the responses. I will look into the fortress anchor now as well. My wife is the one frequently pulling up the anchor and I do not think she will like the weight of a loaded box anchor.

Old 08-22-2018, 05:39 AM   #15
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Scope is all- important

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
It might be old fashioned and a bit heavy, but I've always had good luck with a Navy anchor. It holds the 26' Formula just fine if I do my part and obtain proper scope. Out of the two you mentioned though, I'd go with the Mantus.

My experience with anchors is that the scope can be more important than the design itself - any of the "claw" anchor designs are going to skip along the bottom if your line is straight up and down.
When I anchor at our favorite spot, we are in around 16-18 ft of water. I drop my Danforth with 6ft of chain, and then play out around 40-50 ft of rode. Slowly backing up, I come out of gear when the rode is close to straight. Then it's in and out of gear with short bursts and the anchor seemingly sets itself. Once set, I will reduce the scope some. Anchor holds beautifully.

I do smile watching some boaters dropping the anchor straight down, often without any chain, then letting out a few more feet of rode., and being surprised when the anchor doesn't hold.

Dave
Old 08-22-2018, 06:08 AM   #16
Phantom

Quote:
My wife is the one frequently pulling up the anchor and I do not think she will like the weight of a loaded box anchor.

Your wife will LOVE you for it !! As I said in my original post, we only use about 3' of chain and with the exception of potential "Muck" in some of the areas we drop, that's all she is hoisting up.

Fortress vs Mantus in rocky bottom? I would have to assume they are pretty equivalent (will defer to Thinkxingu) as that becomes a hit or miss situation for ANY anchor …. in my opinion.
Old 08-22-2018, 07:32 AM   #17
WinnisquamZ

Having used a few anchors over the past few years attempting to hold at the Winnisquam sandbar limited no wake zone the box anchor is my choose. Keep in mind it is sand only. It does hold well

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:22 PM   #18
lakevet

I looked at the fortress anchor. Appears very similar to my Danforth but weighs less. I am a little worried where I would stow a mantus on my boat. And my wife will be an unhappy wife pulling up the box (and that's no good). So based on everyone's
input, will probably get a fortress.
Thanks for all the info and here's to quick anchor sets and no drift!

Old 08-23-2018, 05:54 AM   #19
thinkxingu

If weight is a major issue, it may behoove you to research the Digger.
Quote:
I looked at the fortress anchor. Appears very similar to my Danforth but weighs less. I am a little worried where I would stow a mantus on my boat. And my wife will be an unhappy wife pulling up the box (and that's no good). So based on everyone's
input, will probably get a fortress.
Thanks for all the info and here's to quick anchor sets and no drift!

Old 08-23-2018, 12:27 PM   #20
kjkam

Default Mantus Anchor

I bought a mantus 2lb dinghy anchor to test out as a stern anchor, found it to work fantastic, I have it on 50' of what is essentially a ski line, can easily throw it the length of the line, have had it work fantastic setting very fast in a sandy bottom, held the stern of a 28' with a 15mph broad side wind without issue. I would bet an 8lb one would be sufficient as a day anchor for most boats up to 32' or 10,000lbs, even though it is rated for far less
kjkam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 07:44 PM   #21
salty dog

Default Mantus is great!

While certainly not being the only "great" anchor out there, I purchased the #8 Mantus (based on praise and research from 'thinkxingu'), at the beginning of last season. We anchor almost every time we go out and after a back down to set it, it never fails to hold. I use 6' of chain and 150' of rode. I usually anchor in 6 to 12 feet and use maybe 1/3 of the rode.
Old 08-24-2018, 06:46 AM   #22
Dave R

I would have a look at boats that are routinely anchored overnight and see what they use. I've spent a lot of time cruising in areas frequented by live-aboard boaters and Mantus anchors have become extremely popular on cruising boats. They have a great reputation for a reason. Can't say I've ever seen a box anchor or a digger anchor on any live-aboard boat. I understand priorities are going to be different between a day-use bowrider and a 50 foot cruiser, but the goal (to stay put) is the same when anchoring. I anchor overnight often and if I ever replace my 22lb Delta (which holds my 6000 lb boat very reliably when it sets, but sometimes lands upside down and won't set), it will be with a 13 or 25 lb Mantus. That said, I recently bought a TIG welder and I am considering the idea of welding a Mantus-style roll bar onto my Delta. It's a stainless steel model, so welding to it would be pretty easy and there would be no need to have it galvanized.

Last edited by Dave R; 08-24-2018 at 08:13 AM.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote