Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Snowmobiling
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2006, 01:37 PM   #1
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Another possible tragedy

It seems that another snowmobile went through the ice in the Moultonboro area, with one person rescued and one missing. Details are sketchy.

here's a link to the citizen's article:

http://www.citizen.com/apps/pbcs.dll...002/-1/CITIZEN
Old 03-04-2006, 02:21 PM   #2
NASCARNH

Default From UL

New Hampshire Fish and Game officials identified the missing snowmobiler as Norman Mabie Jr., 19, one of four students who were staying at a camp at 120 Cattle Landing Road near Meredith Neck.

The two students went snowmobiling on the lake at about midnight when their machines hit open water about a quarter-mile off Meredith Neck.

Fish and Game officials suspended their search at about 3 this morning and resumed at 8 a.m.

As of noon, rescuers were using an underwater camera to try to locate Mabie before sending dive teams into the deep water. The snowmobiles also remain submerged.

Local residents said few snowmobilers have been on the lake this winter because of relatively warm conditions.
NASCARNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 02:22 PM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default union leader link

here's a link to the union leader article.

http://www.unionleader.com/article.a...2-ce40d0cc11be

And Wmur's link:

http://www.thewmurchannel.com/news/7683890/detail.html
Old 03-04-2006, 06:36 PM   #4
Skipper of the Sea Que
Deceased Member

Unhappy Tragic but avoidable

This is getting to be a frequent story this season. It's sad and it makes me angry.

here's the link to the Boston.com story. One body recovered.

Body of missing snowmobiler found
Sorry, it seems this link requires a free registration.

There must be a way to stop this needless loss of life.

Amateur HAM Radio What is it? You'll be surprised. When all else fails Ham Radio still works.
Shriners Hospitals providing specialized care for children regardless of ability to pay. Find out more or refer a patient.
Skipper of the Sea Que is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 07:23 PM   #5
DREAMS

Default Get those trucks off the ice !!!

The wasted life of another snowmobiler.... The one who deserves a good dunk is the owner/driver of the trucks on the ice this season, including many today seen parked on the ice!

How do we teach these non-thinking self-centered fools the impact and damage to already thin ice conditions by driving a vehicle on thin ice. The aftereffects and shifting movement of that ice with such major weight has to have implications for miles. If they are too lazy to walk or be satisfied with walking distance from shore, they need to invest in another means of transportation like an ATV. At least that is less damage to already thin ice than multiple vehicles.

These cold nights are no guarantee of building ice with so much open water, waves, whitecaps and shifting ice due to high wind gusts! Were these crazy people born yesterday to not understand the danger of ice this season??

Let's hope all with common sense at least adhere to thinking before acting and consider the safety of fellow man on the ice as well.
DREAMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2006, 08:06 PM   #6
jeffk

Default Tragedy story outline

This is another tragedy but eveytime I hear the headline I can pretty much write the rest of the story myself.

A snowmobiler drown yesterday. The rider was

1) out late at night on the lake
2) unfamiliar with the area they were riding
3) traveling at high speed
4) alone
and ..... wait for it ..........
5) alcohol was probably involved.

It is frustating to keep pulling bodies out of the lake every year for the same STUPID reasons. What a waste of a young life.

By the way, the venue can change and all the other factors are still in play as they run into trees,fences, or cars.
jeffk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 11:33 PM   #7
GusMan

Default Are you *KIDDING* me????

(I understand if this post gets deleted... BUT...)

DREAMS.... I cannot possibly disagree more with your statement blaming trucks (or other vehicles) for this most recent snowmobile "accident".

There is *exactly* one person to blame when a vehicle goes through the ice... and that's the operator. It is the *operator's* responsibility to make sure the ice he will travel upon is safe. I'm sorry that this person's family will endure heartache as a result of his poor decisions, I don't wish that one anyone.

The true "non-thinking self-centered fools" are those who cannot place blame where blame is due... regardless of how tragic the circumstances.

I need to stop now.... before I really lose it and tell DREAMS what I *really* think about his opinion......

Gusman
GusMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 07:53 AM   #8
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,625 Times in 561 Posts

Dreams,those were insulting and uncalled for remarks.Did you ever hear of personal responsibility?Some of the bays have ice thick enough to hold a logging truck and indeed,people have driven on the ice since the automobile was invented.
Anyone who has ever been around the lake knows that you must know where you are going and use caution if you're going on the ice.
I do feel terrible about someone losing their life, but that is not reason to insult those who know what they're doing out there.
There are many people who drive on the ice to provide services to the islands.....I don't believe they'd appreciate being called fools....and they're far from lazy.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 11:04 AM   #9
CHSLTD

Cool Dreams...Dreaming?

Maybe a better understanding of the lake during the winter would provide a better educated post. After reading your post I feel that you don't really get it.
CHSLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 12:41 PM   #10
WINNOCTURN
Deceased Member

Default Moultonboro Snowmobile Club Trail Report

Here is the trail report that has basically been running on the clubs website for the last 5 weeks. I dought if these fellows belonged to any of the area clubs or had ever attended a Snowmobile Safety Course. I update the report every Thursday or sooner depending on conditions. We try to keep our members and those who frequent our website as well informed as possible as to all area riding conditions. Check us out moultonborosmc.com

WINNOCTURN

Front page

DO NOT ASSUME THE LAKES ARE SAFE.
USE EXTREME CAUTION WHEN RIDING ANY BODY OF WATER!

02/14/06
TRAILS ARE STILL CLOSED! We only received about 2” of very powdery snow Sunday. Temperatures for the next several days will be in the mid forties with some rain and snow showers forecast for Friday. Saturday shows a temperature drop in to the low twenties. If you are thinking of going out on to the Lake be extremely careful. There are still some large areas of open water, Spindle Point, Weirs Beach area, Governors Island and many more areas. Please check the full Trail Condition page for more information.

Trail conditions page

DO NOT ASSUME THE LAKES ARE SAFE.
USE EXTREME CAUTION WHEN RIDING ANY BODY OF WATER!
02/14/06
The current weather patterns are not encouraging. With the lack of snow all trails are closed.

Temperatures for the next several days will be in the mid forties with some rain and snow showers forecast for Friday. Saturday shows a temperature drop in to the low twenties.

If you may be thinking of going on the Lake this weekend to check out the fishing tournament there may not be any snow cover. The lake is still not safe in many areas. Not only is there a lot of open water, there are reports of numerous pressure ridges. You may want to check out “winnipesaukee.com” forums site. There is a lot of current information on the Lake conditions. The following URL will get you to the latest lake condition. When you open this page go to page 2 for the most recent postings.

http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=2699

Best chance for any riding is to travel north to Coleman State Park, Errol or Pittsburg. They are reporting fair to good riding conditions.
Coleman State Park: Diamond Pond
Pittsburg: Pittsburg
Errol: Umbagog Snowmobile Association (Errol, NH)
WINNOCTURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2006, 01:37 PM   #11
GTO

Default what the..............

Quote from dreamer "The one who deserves a good dunk is the owner/driver of the trucks on the ice this season, including many today seen parked on the ice!"

Think before you write!! Somebody just died but you think someone else deserves too? Driving on the ice is just a common sense thing. If its thick enough, drive on it, if not, don't.

And, has anyone heard if alcohol was involved? Just curious.

Last edited by GTO; 03-06-2006 at 07:49 AM. Reason: quoting former poster
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 09:01 AM   #12
jeffk

Default Alcohol?

Unfortunately WMUR is reporting that investigators suspect that it was a factor.

http://www.thewmurchannel.com/news/7688665/detail.html
jeffk is online now   Reply With Quote