Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2008, 06:34 AM   #1
PennyPenny

Smile Boston Seafood Being Built at Old Pepper Building?

I came through the Weirs yesterday and noticed some type of construction going on in the former Waldo Pepper building. I saw a sign that said Boston Seafood. Anyone know what's up with that? I also decided to drive through the Weirs itself to see for myself how it looked apperance wise. IMO I would say about 75% of the buildings have a decent looking outside apperance, I didn't stop and go inside any though. The board walk looked nice also with all the apple trees blooming. They have the hill dug up and repairing the road up past the old fire station so I went up Tower St. The houses and motels all appeared to have nice looking yards etc. I was expecting a lot worse. Maybe once you fill the parking spots and people arrive the cleanliness disappears? I found it to be a nice drive through though.
PennyPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:51 PM   #2
Irish mist

I seen this today......I checked the internet and Boston Seafood does not seem to be a chain of any kind. Must be some local folks. It's good news for the Weirs that the building was not left empty, and with the wonderful job that is being done on the new Lobster Pound things are looking ok down there.

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:51 PM   #3
KnotKnormal

The following is what is posted in the "classified" section of winnipesaukee.com under "Boats & Accessories." Does anyone have any idea know how the handy landy dockside delivery works?? I thought you couldn't use a dock in the channel to access Peppers when it was in the space.

Click on name to send E-mail * Winnipesaukee Classifieds *
By: BOSTON SEAFOOD
SERVICES OFFERED: dockside delivery, , , , lobsta & seafood
boston seafood fry shack & fish market will be opening may 15,2008 in weirs beach across the street from handy landy in the channel, , , call ahead for dockside delivery!!

for all our fish lovers....fresh fish will be delivered daily!
we can cook the lobsters for you!

having a party, cookout or lobster feast? call us with your order for all the fresh seafood you need
!
Old 05-15-2008, 11:19 PM   #4
Pepper

KnotKnormal - you are correct that when we occupied that space we were unable to use the dock space. That's because a different tenant was leasing the store across the street, and the docks belong with that lease.

It is rumored that the folks opening Boston Seafood are also renting the store space across the street. That same rumor also indicates that they are putting a coffee shop in that space. If the rumor is true, then they are maximizing their potential by utilizing the dockspace for patrons of both establishments, which is very smart.

We wish them all the best!
Old 05-16-2008, 07:58 AM   #5
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper View Post
KnotKnormal
We wish them all the best!
Right back at you.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:10 AM   #6
WeirsBeachBoater

Well that is good fortune for the landlord. I thought for sure he would have been sitting on both properties empty for quite some time. Especially with the quirks of trying to make it in the Weirs. The other thing I noticed is the amount of Mercedes Benz autos at the Boston Seafood Market, So I am guessing this isn't a first business, or young couple with a start up. There looks to be money behind this. I hope they do well. I heard someone the other day say who needs a special fish market, to which another replied, they said that about the wineing butcher and look how they made out.( little do they know about the snowblower repairs)
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 08:00 AM   #7
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts
Default Boston Seafood at the Weirs

I noticed the parking lot at the old Waldo's building being seal coated on Friday so I stopped in. The new business owner is a youg man, and very impressive. He said he will have fresh seafood delivered daily from a family connection he has in Boston. He is going to have fish, scallops etc. available to take home as well as a fried seafood type menu for eating there. He has done a lot of painting, cleaning and fix up to the building and it really looks good. This should be a great addition to the Weirs. He plans to open by Memorial Day weekend.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 05:25 PM   #8
Hermit Cover

Default "Old Pepper" Building!!!

Perhaps I am reading this incorrectly.....Pepper is, as all who know her will attest, energetic, intelligent, beautiful (inside and out), BUT....'OLD PEPPER' she ain't. I think I heard someone mention the number 29 or 33 or... Have a great Memorial Day old girl....
Hermit Cover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 07:56 PM   #9
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit Cover View Post
{snip} ... I think I heard someone mention the number 29 or 33 or... {snip}...
HC - are you sure you didn't mean 29 + 33 ?
Because sometimes (albeit on rare occassions) I feel that old!
Old 05-20-2008, 07:56 PM   #10
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Is it just me or does the fact that having another Seafood place on a lake is weird? I've yet to catch a lobster or a Cod, when I'm out in the boat.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:05 PM   #11
EricP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
Is it just me or does the fact that having another Seafood place on a lake is weird? I've yet to catch a lobster or a Cod, when I'm out in the boat.
I have thought the same thing. But I believe it's a mindset and people tend to associate seafood with any body of water.
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:53 PM   #12
Rinkerfam

EricP,
you couldn't be more correct. I had dinner with a friend in Meredith many years ago who ordered lobster, quite seriously, based on the fact that it must be fresh considering how close to the water we were. Needless to say, he never lived that one down
Old 05-20-2008, 10:53 PM   #13
GWC...

Default Where's the beef...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinkerfam View Post
EricP,
you couldn't be more correct. I had dinner with a friend in Meredith many years ago who ordered lobster, quite seriously, based on the fact that it must be fresh considering how close to the water we were. Needless to say, he never lived that one down
More to the point, where's the cattle ranches and chicken farms?
Old 05-21-2008, 05:41 AM   #14
hockeypuck

People from MA love their fresh seafood and they comprise a large % of the summer population, so it makes perfect sense to offer it up. These same customers will hold the restaurant to a high level of quality and freshness. The same is true for good Italian food even though the lake is not too close to Italy.
hockeypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:04 AM   #15
TiltonBB

Default Fresh Lobster

When I stopped there last week, the owner of Boston Seafood said he will have a live lobster tank and will cook lobsters for you right there, or you can take them home and cook them yourself. They don't come much fresher than that. (I'm pretty sure that the lobsters weren't caught in the lake).

You don't have to wonder about a seafood business doing well at the lake. Just look at the lines at Sawyers and Tamarak!
Old 05-21-2008, 06:49 PM   #16
Orion

Default It's all relative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
I'm sure people from Ohio think anywhere in NH is pretty darn close to the Ocean.
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 08:59 PM   #17
pats fan

Default Boston Seafood Grand Opening!

I was passing by Boston Seafood this afternoon, formerly Waldo Peppers, and saw a bunch of cars in the lot.* I could see people inside so I stopped in, thinking they were open!* They were not open, but were doing a "soft opening" for some invited guests.* After opening the door and being told this, the wonderful young man who owns the place would not let me go away!* He insisted that I come on in and have a FREE meal on him!* It was wonderful.* Great seafood.* I only wish my 23 year old son were a girl.* What a sweet young man who owns the place.* He said they will be opening on Friday, just in time for Memorial Day weekend.* I will certainly be back in this weekend with my husband and children.* He promised me the best lobster roll I have ever had! I will hold him to that! He is going to have a lobster tank full of fresh lobsters that he will cook for you or you can bring them home to cook yourself.* The fried seafood (clams, clam strips, scallops, haddock, shrimp, crab cakes, fries, onion rings, etc) that he was serving were very lightly battered and cooked to perfection.* I will report back to you to let you know how his lobster rolls were.
pats fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2008, 10:57 AM   #18
styl+

Smile Boston Seafood Is Now Open

Tried Boston Seafood yesterday, their first day open, I have to say they have THE BEST fried scallops around! Fish and fried clams were great too.. Workers and owner aim to please
styl+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 04:40 PM   #19
TiltonBB

Thumbs up The Best Lobster Rolls!

My wife and I got a chance to try the lobster rolls at Boston Seafood. The best!

Over the last few years I have tried all of the places in this area and this place exceeds them all. Plenty of tasty lobster in the roll, no filler, great value.

The new owner has really cleaned the place up from what it used to be. All new paint, new floor, it looks great.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:36 PM   #20
Chickie

Default Skate

I am waiting for a restaurant that serves up skate and so far haven't found one. I was introduced to it when I visited the UK a few years ago and have never found a fish market here that carries it - some don't even know what I'm talking about. It is a favorite over there and every fish and chip shop has it. They certainly know how to fry fish to perfection and skate is the very best. Not a beautiful fish as fish go, as it looks similar to a ray, but as far as taste is concerned, it can't be beat. Maybe some day folks in the U.S. will discover it.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 08:45 PM   #21
Newbiesaukee

I have had it in the US. Strange as it may sound, skate "wings" have been cut in cylindrical shape and sold as "scallops" in this country.
Newbiesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:20 AM   #22
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Don't think so,Newbie.....we deal with Mehan Seafood and Ipswich Shellfish....two very good companies that import scallops from all over the world as well as local products.Most restaurants use local seafood but you can buy scallops from China for $4 a pound if you want cheap.I've never been offered skate wings....that is dishonest and I don't know of any supplier who would even do that.
I think that story is just that.....a story.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 09:41 PM   #23
skisox24

Default Skate?

Haven't dined there in a couple of years, but The Camp restaurant in Meredith (at the old Chase House) used to have a grilled skate selection as a standard on their menu.
skisox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 10:11 PM   #24
Airwaves

Default Who around the lake offers this now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider
I've also thought the same thing, when I go to the ocean I go to Markey's and order lobster and steamed clams. I've always thought it weird that you don't see too many places around the lake offering local fish on their menu Salmon, Trout, Bass, etc. I did have Trout at the old Chase Restaurant years ago.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 02:45 PM   #25
Irish mist

Just went in today........excellent The homemade chips were great, the fish was fresh, and the onion rings were oustanding. The prices were good. It's worth a try.

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:37 PM   #26
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
My wife and I got a chance to try the lobster rolls at Boston Seafood. The best!

Over the last few years I have tried all of the places in this area and this place exceeds them all. Plenty of tasty lobster in the roll, no filler, great value.

The new owner has really cleaned the place up from what it used to be. All new paint, new floor, it looks great.
Them's is fightin' words 'round here!
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:38 PM   #27
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Agreed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipj29 View Post
Them's is fightin' words 'round here!
I'll check it out.. but a "double stuffed" at WP's is going to be very hard to beat.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:47 PM   #28
phoenix

i didn't think it was the best but sure was biggest for the price( $10.99 including fries and cole slaw) the roll wasn't toasted so a little dry but huge amount of lobster
Old 05-28-2008, 05:27 PM   #29
pats fan

I have tried the scallops and clams. They are both out of this world! I heard they were having a big Grand Opening party this Saturday, May 31. He has 1000 lobsters ordered! I don't know any more about it, just told that by one of the kids working there yesterday.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:50 PM   #30
Lakepilot

Wife and I went to Boston Seafood for lunch today. Wife had a Scallop Plate and I had the Shrimp Plate. With each we had fries and a small salad. Both of our meals were excellent. I liked the fries while the wife didn't. The shrimp and scallops were plentiful, cooked perfectly and fresh. We will definitely go again.
Lakepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 08:18 PM   #31
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thumbs up We Tried Boston Seafood

We Tried Boston Seafood.. on 5/31, overall we give it an 8.5 out of 10.
For us.. that's real good!

Scallops and Fried Clams were very, very good. The boss had the fish sandwitch and loved it. Big, and fresh.

They seemed to be having a problem with the Lobster Tank... it was "cloudy" and some of the lobsters they pulled out.. seemed to look a little.. "Limp". Too his credit.. the gentleman that seemed to be the owner called someone.. and a "crew" showed up and seemed to fix the problem.

The only negative we found was the fact that they didn't have coffee. We were told that the coffee machine hadn't been delivered yet.

Mostly just early opening problems IMHO.

Still very little seating.. but, they are advertising themselves as a "take-out" place. Nice case full of fresh fish.. a bit over priced. (But any fresh fish place in the lakes region is a major plus ++++ )

SteveA

I wish them Luck.. seem like nice folks.!
Old 06-02-2008, 08:31 AM   #32
riverat

We also dined there on 5/31, other than the above mentioned items everything was great. I had a "Clamwich" which is basically a clam roll but on a hamburger bun and the amount of clams was generous. My wife had the clam plate which she loved, so thumbs up here! Good Luck guys!.
Old 06-08-2008, 06:58 PM   #33
moose tracks

Location: Loudon, Tennessee, foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains
Thumbs up Review

We ate at Boston Seafood on Friday, June 6th just as a new shipment of lobsters came in and their price rose from an introductory price of $6.99 to $8.99 a pound. Still a nice price.

We ordered the clam chowder, 4oz lobster roll plate with fries and cole slaw and fish and homemade potato chips.

Lobster roll filling was great, just lightly moist with no fillers. The roll appeared to be a whole grain style roll with sesame seeds. I thought its flavored competed with the lobster and I'd prefer the traditional, toasted New England style hot dog bun instead. The fish in the fish and chips plate was perfectly cooked, sweet mild white fish. The homemade potato chips were delicious. We ordered the homemade lemonade and it was a nice blend of tangy lemon and sweet sugar, not overly sweet or bitter. The clam chowder had big pieces of clam, was not overly thick or creamy, with a nice fresh flavor. Some of the best chowder I've ever had. Kudos to Bill.

Counter service was very friendly, efficient. I liked the way they have retooled the outside eating area, making it fenced in with the lattice.

Boston Seafood is now going to be routine stop...keep up the good work!!
Old 06-08-2008, 07:30 PM   #34
GWC...

Saturday, June 7th, deserves kudos, as well.

Purchased two 8 0z lobster rolls (they offer a 4 oz, also) and a medium size clam whatever it's called (they offer three sizes - plate, I forget, and basket). Soups were good, also, re-warmed at home.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:05 PM   #35
RI Swamp Yankee

Here is a story about the owner, a 21 year old. He just wanted to do moped rentals.

http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll...-1/FOSNEWS0413
Old 06-09-2008, 05:04 PM   #36
Newbiesaukee

We stopped in for lobster rolls last week. The place was simple and clean and the staff was friendly and competent. We only ordered lobster rolls. The lobster itself was good ( altho not quite up to you-know-where) but the roll (as someone noticed before) was some kind of whole wheat roll which really was not a good match for the lobster. We wish them luck but probably would not go just for the lobster rolls.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:44 PM   #37
NHskier

My wife and I stopped by on Sunday around mid-afternoon, our first try. We both had the small lobster rolls, served with fries & cole slaw. Rolls were toasted white bread, so perhaps the wheat bread mentioned was a stand-in?

We both enjoyed our lunches very much. As noted by Newbiesaukee it was clean and neat, staff was pleasant. We'll go back.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:05 PM   #38
Resident 2B

I walked over for a lobster roll a week to ten days ago. At that time, the roll was a plain white hot-dog roll and was not toasted. It was good, but a toasted white roll would have made it better. I hope that is the way they are going. A bit of mayo on the roll would have een nice as well.

The staff were very friendly and the service was quick. Nice looking redo of the interior and exterior of the building including a sealcoated parking lot.

I will return often.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 11:03 AM   #39
dpg

Ok Ok cut it out, Pepper must be reading this thread getting very nervous!!
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:15 PM   #40
Newbiesaukee

Not to worry Pepper, you can't have too much good food
Old 06-10-2008, 05:03 PM   #41
jetskier

Default Different Market

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee View Post
Not to worry Pepper, you can't have too much good food
I think that Pepper will likely be in a different market. The reality is that there is a much larger traffic volume in her new location and it is not nearly as seasonal. I would not expect significant competition and Pepper has a loyal following. There is clearly room in the market for both.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 05:18 PM   #42
SteveA
Deceased Member

Default I Agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetskier View Post
I think that Pepper will likely be in a different market. The reality is that there is a much larger traffic volume in her new location and it is not nearly as seasonal. I would not expect significant competition and Pepper has a loyal following. There is clearly room in the market for both.

Jetskier
Jetskier is right on the money. I happened to bump into Pepper over the last weekend.. and she's not worried, and shouldn't be. (IMHO)

As a Gilford "local" I'll tell you her new location is fantastic. I can't wait for the NEW Waldo Peppers to open.

PS.. Pepper might not be happy with me for telling you this.. but I stopped by to see the "new place" WOW.. ( We'll either get excluded from the grand opening party.. or invited)
Old 06-10-2008, 08:54 PM   #43
GWC...

It is sad that a new, successful business just around the corner from one that is stumbling, has to endure a hijacking.

Most, if not all of us, wish WaldoPeppers success in their new location; but hijacking is hijacking and it needs to stop.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:41 AM   #44
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWC... View Post
It is sad that a new, successful business just around the corner from one that is stumbling, has to endure a hijacking.

Most, if not all of us, wish WaldoPeppers success in their new location; but hijacking is hijacking and it needs to stop.
Huh?? I don't get it?
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:58 AM   #45
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Huh?? I don't get it?
That makes 2 of us...
chipj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 06:58 AM   #46
SIKSUKR

HUH?I don't get it either.How is a thread hijacked when the title of the thread talks about Waldo Peppers?Sounds like someone has an issue with WP's or a stake in Boston Seafood.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:14 AM   #47
hazelnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by GWC... View Post

Can you clarify this for us?
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:01 AM   #48
sa meredith

Default My best guess...

You know, I too was confused by the "hijack" comment. But, upon going back and reading the last few posts, I think I understand (and almost, maybe, agree). Posts 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 all are people chiming in on their great experiences at this new place. Stuff like "yeah, we loved it too" and so on. And I'm sure the owners were enjoying the positve feed back. And then, post 39 actually reads "OK, stop this now, as Pepper is going to get nervous" (or something very similar). And then post 40 throws out a positve re-assurance to Pepper and then 41 and 42 follow with the same positive messages to Pepper, and BANG, the thread is now about the new Waldo Peppers.
So, after further review, I can see what he meant about hi-jack. Just my take on it.
sa meredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 09:23 AM   #49
hazelnut

Default Still Don't See It

I still don't see where it's a Hijacking? Well actually NOW it is because of the hijack discussion.

The reality is I think everyone here will try the New Boston Seafood based on rave reviews from posters. I also have come to recognize these as genuine raves not people planted to make the place succeed. Especially after reading the criticism on the "Pound."
I'll be trying out both for sure.

As for Peppers she'll always have a loyal fan base.

End result: There is room for both!
Old 06-11-2008, 04:27 PM   #50
Newbiesaukee

Exactly the point I was trying to make.
Old 06-11-2008, 07:38 PM   #51
idigtractors

I think the hi-jacking is being used because the thread started out to be "Boston Seafood Being Built at Old Pepper Building?" and then it started going to Peppers new place.
idigtractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:53 AM   #52
nj2nh

Default Hijacking threads

Where are the thread police when you need them?

I didn't realize there were rules and laws about comments made in threads. It seems to me that these discussions should take their natural course even if the course deviates from the original intent.

Who cares? It goes where it goes, like a river.

Silliness!

nj2nh
Old 06-12-2008, 12:39 PM   #53
idigtractors

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj2nh View Post

I didn't realize there were rules and laws about comments made in threads. It seems to me that these discussions should take their natural course even if the course deviates from the original intent.

Silliness!

nj2nh
AMEN to the above.
idigtractors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 02:05 PM   #54
GWC...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj2nh View Post

Silliness!

nj2nh
[rant]

You...

or did you forget this bit of opining?

The Boston Seafood establishment is doing a good job of offering a menu of fair pricing and quick service, without compromising on quality.

Reading the various posts regarding jay's bayside, it would seem they too are attempting to offer memories at a price that will allow the business to continue in business.

Prices, as in overhead, for the various businesses at the Lake require increases in their price schedule or else the door closes permanently and the tourist and locals squawk.

Again, the Boston Seafood establishment is doing a good job of offering a menu of fair pricing and quick service, without compromising on quality.

Let them have a thread about them without referencing competition in an effort to bolster the competition.

Play fair in the sandbox...
[/rant]
Old 06-13-2008, 10:31 PM   #55
jetskier

Post Tried them tonight

We stopped in tonight to give them a try. The parking lot was a zoo with all of the bike week vendors and congestion. There are a lot of motorcycles up here already (does this classify as hijacking )

I tried the lobster roll. The lobster roll comes with a choice of a couple of sides (fries or chips/cole slaw or pasta salad). The portion of lobster was generous with large pieces of meat and some mayo. It was served on a hot dog roll that had been slightly toasted. The lobster roll was $16.99.

The menu is predominantly lobster/fish/scallops/clams. They have burgers and chicken sandwiches as an alternative on the menu.

My daughter had a chicken finger sandwich and gave it a thumbs up.

The building has been spruced up a bit and they have some deck seating in the front. They seemed to be a pretty steady clientele while we were there.

Jetskier
jetskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 07:53 PM   #56
Sunrise Point

Default Thumbs up!

We stopped by Boston Seafood Friday night based on all of the positive comments on the forum. I had the lobster roll. My husband had the fish sandwich. The people working there were very attentive. After we ordered, we decided to sit outside and when I asked how I would know when the food was ready, the young lady said "don't worry, I'll bring it out to you."

The lobster roll was outstanding, made with large chunks of lobster meat, no celery or other fillers. It didn't seem to have any mayonaise either (which is fine with me!). Thankfully they provided a fork so I could eat my way down to a manageable "pick it up and eat it" size. The coleslaw was very crunchy, fresh tasting with a hint of garlic. I tried my husband's fish sandwich and it was delicious.

I would definitely go back again.

P.S. I am looking forward to the new Waldo Pepper's too.
Sunrise Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2008, 09:38 PM   #57
TiltonBB

Default Great Food! Decent Price Too!

I went back to Boston Seafood with my wife Friday night. We hadn't been there for a few weeks and were anxious to try it again. I had the scallops and she had the lobster roll. We were both very impressed with the food and how friendly the staff was. The portions were good and the food was excellent. We will definitely keep going there, it is a great place to stop. You have to try the homemade chips that are cooked right there.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:24 AM   #58
pats fan

Default Open For Business

I stopped for lunch yesterday with some relatives visiting from North Carolina. I love their Scallops and homemade potato chips! A friend of mine had the clams a couple weeks ago and did not like them, said they were too big. When my cousin went to order them yesterday I told her of my friends complaint. The cook said they realized the clams had been too large before so they changed where they get them from. He promised they were very good now. My cousin got them and loved them. I tried a couple and was very impressed, although I am still a scallop lover!
Old 06-28-2008, 01:27 PM   #59
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMIAM View Post
Don't think so,Newbie.....we deal with Mehan Seafood and Ipswich Shellfish....two very good companies that import scallops from all over the world as well as local products.Most restaurants use local seafood but you can buy scallops from China for $4 a pound if you want cheap.I've never been offered skate wings....that is dishonest and I don't know of any supplier who would even do that.
I think that story is just that.....a story.
SKATE: I think this is a true story. Less than honest Fish and Chips places would sometimes use this to suppliment their scallop supply. They are punched out of the skate with a "Leather/Gasket Punch". We used to call them "Skate Plugs". Actually they taste pretty good..something like "Sea Scallpos". NoBozo
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 05:10 PM   #60
TiltonBB

Default Open and doing very well

Boston seafood was open Friday for sure. I know because I ate there. They are open today (Saturday) I just went by and there were many cars there and you could see a lot of people inside sitting and eating at the tables.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:56 AM   #61
Whimsey

Default Under New Ownership!!! Already???

Stopped in for the first time to pick up some fresh fish to grill at home yesterday, they had none other than some mussels and a few clams. When I asked what was up, someone came out of the kitchen and said there was an ownership change, and the the vendors hadn't been paid, so there was no delivery Monday. Said it was being worked out and he expected to get tuna, swordfish and haddock on Friday.

That was a pretty quick flash in the pan. I got the sense there was more to the story. But I grabbed some PEI mussels and changed the menu. They were clean and good by the way.
Whimsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:01 PM   #62
webmaster

Thanked 3,726 Times in 824 Posts

I dropped by Boston Seafood to get a menu this week. The makeover looks great although I still expect to see a plane on the roof. The seating areas look clean and comfortable but the fish cases were empty as they waited for a new delivery.

I didn't eat there yet so I can't comment on the food.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Boston Seafood Menu.pdf (158.4 KB, 524 views)
webmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 04:51 PM   #63
jrc

We tried out the new place Saturday night. The first thing I noticed is that no one was there, I really thought it was closed.

We both had the haddock and it was great. It was a good sized piece, with a nice breadding. We also shared onion rings they were also good.

The menu is a little strange, each fish entree has a plate, platter, basket. The prices go up in that order. We had the plate which was the cheapest but it was a huge piece of fish. I don't know how I could have ate more.

The plate had fish, fries, corn bread muffin, a pickle, a lemon, tarter sauce and cloeslaw. I should have asked about the other sizes.

All and all a good meal.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:15 PM   #64
TiltonBB

Default Great Food, No Lines

We have gone back to Boston Seafood a couple more times in the last two weeks. I am also surprised (Like jrc) that there aren't more people there. I assume it is because it is a new business and it started in a year that the economy isn't in the best shape. There just doesn't seem to be that many people around this summer. It certainly is not because of the food.

We have had several different items on the menu and enjoyed all of them. Last night my wife had the lobster roll and declared it the best she had ever had. I got the chicken parm sub and it was delicious. Both sandwiches came with homemade chips that were excellent.

From my perspective, Boston Seafood offers better value and quality than the two other well known seafood restaurants in the area that we used to frequent (Hint: two miles North and three miles South) and the bonus is that there are no lines!

Bye bye. Have to go to my Weight Watcher's meeting now!
Old 07-15-2008, 01:04 PM   #65
ironhorsetim

Default lunch

we went there for lunch today, got 1 haddock and 1 shrimp plate, the haddock was very good although the fries under the fish were a little soggy the shrimp was good , and again no lines hmmm......I think lines are a good sign as long as you have the time to wait in them,but it's within the top 3 seafood places
ironhorsetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 06:36 PM   #66
sa meredith

Default Looked great

We went today (7/19/08) to Boston Seafood for lunch at 1:30. 4 adults and an eight year old child. The place was full....all seven tables taken, and a line to the door..but it was a rainy Sunday afternoon, so the size of the crowd made sense.
They were very understaffed, and the gentleman working the counter was in a panic the entire time. Must of been an owner or manager, as he was very concerned that orders were not all coming out perfect, and in a timely manner. And he continued to apologize, time and again.
Anyway, I cannot really comment on the taste and quality of the food 1st hand, as I was sporting a monster hang over, and had all I could do to choke down half of a burger, but it seemed very good. Both ladies had the middle sized lobster roll (3 size choices) and both said they were excellent..and they really did look fantastic.
The other meal was fried clam/scallop plate, and he said it was very good. Fries 50/50 at best. I will say that every plate that past me by looked good.
I guess I would recommend Boston Seafood as a place for a quick lunch. Seemed more of a "to-go" place.
By the way...nice sign in the channel. It reads: Docking for Boston Seafood Customers Only; All Others $100 a Minute.

Last edited by sa meredith; 07-21-2008 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-20-2008, 06:49 PM   #67
Pineedles

Default Honest review

Thank you for your honesty.

Anyway, I cannot really comment on the taste and quality of the food 1st hand, as I was sporting a monster hang over, and had all I could do to choke down half of a burger, but it seemed very good.

Here is someone who tells it like it is. Thanks SA!
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:37 PM   #68
tricia1218

We had a chance to try the Boston Seafood company last week on 3 of us split a clam/scallop plate they had a small medium and large size and there was more than enough for the 3 of us with the large, the food was great and the staff was friendly I look forward to going back.
A few days later neighbors ordered 7 lbs of take out steamers and said they were really good no sand (very important!)
tricia1218 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 02:13 PM   #69
BlackCatIslander

Default Good Food, Where is everyone?

My wife and I had supper at Boston Seafood last Thursday, the 17th. I had a fried clam plate and she had the fried shrimp plate. We thought that the food was great and the service was quick and pleasant. We were there for about 30 minutes at supper time and NO ONE else came in. And yet we saw cars at Tamarack and other fast food restaurants. We were quite surprised at the lack of customers.
BlackCatIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 11:05 PM   #70
hazelnut

Thumbs up

We had a great experience on Saturday. We were getting gas at Channel Marine. We called over to have 13 live lobsters and 7lbs of raw steamers delivered to the dock to bring back to the island. As soon as we were done getting gas we popped over to the Boston Seafood dock and there was this nice girl walking down with two huge bags for us. We paid and headed off to cook up our fresh catch.

All in all a very positive experience in terms of convenience. Highly recommended for fresh seafood!
Old 07-23-2008, 08:29 PM   #71
pats fan

Default Cooked lobsters?

Hazelnut,
I have been to Boston Seafood a couple times and think the place is the Lakes Regions new best kept secret! I had them steam some lobsters for me last weekend. I can't get myself to cook them myself!! Animal lover! Anyway, they were cooked to perfection and still hot when we got back to the island. They had some great homemade seafood stuffing that we picked up to go with them. Too much work to make it myself and it was fantastic.
Old 07-25-2008, 04:52 PM   #72
MaidenCove07

Thumbs up Love the Scallops too!!!

I'm thrilled with a decent seafood place that doesn't make me wait an hour for my food (a la the very good but untimely Sawyers).

Boston Seafood's scallop plate was AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!
The Scallops were large, fully cooked, tender and just a touch sweet....just the way I like them. The feet were taken off too which many places fail to do. Such a bummer to gnaw into that chewy and tough scallop foot...ICK

I heard from a nearby restaurateur (whose business has been deeply affected by the new Pound and Boston Seafood) that ownership had changed hands already after the young man originally responsible for it's inception was incarcerated for some mis-deed during bike week.....does anyone know if that's factual?

Either way....my 2 visits, pre and post Bike Week, were equally delightful and I'd be back more often if the economy would allow me as many pleasures as it did last year....
MaidenCove07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 01:36 PM   #73
phoenix

three of us went for lunch again today. All had lobster rolls and they continue to be great. $10.95 for 4 ounces roll with home made chips or fries and cole slaw. Large pieces of lobster in fact some were whole claws. Different cook and wait staff than when I was in a few weeks ago but still best value in the area
Old 07-29-2008, 05:11 PM   #74
Resident 2B

I feel that the Boston Seafood Company has become a very good place for a quality meal with great service and a reasonable price. I do miss having WPs there, but BSC is now very good and continues to improve.

Great seafood!

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:30 PM   #75
Scott

I've only been here once, but I'll probably be back soon. Big plump juicy scallops- I loved it.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2008, 08:42 PM   #76
ladyslipper

Default "Side Orders"

I was looking forward to trying the fried clams but didn't want the whole meal. I asked for a "side order", just clams, which is available at most, if
not all restaurants and seafood shacks. I was told I could have just the clams but would have to pay for the whole meal. Not negotiable, so I left. I know the price difference is maybe $1.00-$2.00. It's the principle of the thing. I am not fond of throwing perfectly good food away.....or worse still, paying for it to throw it away. I hope they change their policy....seems like an easy fix and the reviews are good so far.
ladyslipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:49 AM   #77
TiltonBB

Default I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyslipper View Post
I was looking forward to trying the fried clams but didn't want the whole meal. I asked for a "side order", just clams, which is available at most, if
not all restaurants and seafood shacks. I was told I could have just the clams but would have to pay for the whole meal. Not negotiable, so I left. I know the price difference is maybe $1.00-$2.00. It's the principle of the thing. I am not fond of throwing perfectly good food away.....or worse still, paying for it to throw it away. I hope they change their policy....seems like an easy fix and the reviews are good so far.
You couldn't save $1.00 to $2.00 on a meal at a restaurant that has had many great reviews from people in the area (and on this web site) so you got back in your car to burn $4.00 per gallon gas in search of another place to eat? You missed a great meal!
I had a late lunch there Friday and one of the young ladies who works there was sitting at a table eating the fried clams for lunch. I commented to her that they looked good. She said that she really likes the clams, and even though the employees get a free sandwich for lunch she had paid for her meal two days in a row so she could have the fried clams both days.
I got the fried clams and scallops with the homemade potato chips, and the meal was excellent.

Last edited by TiltonBB; 08-03-2008 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-03-2008, 07:09 PM   #78
ladyslipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
You couldn't save $1.00 to $2.00 on a meal at a restaurant that has had many great reviews from people in the area (and on this web site) so you got back in your car to burn $4.00 per gallon gas in search of another place to eat? You missed a great meal!
I mis-spoke! I was going to be given the extra food, like it or not, and was told to throw it away. Seems illogical and wasteful to me. Guess it's the way I was brought up. It, in no way, was about the money!!!
I used NO extra gas and did not go without either.
I am fortunate to live here year-round and there are many places who serve "outstanding fried clams" as well as other excellent food.
It seems that in these economic times, we should not be wasting food and good customer service is as important as tasty food...if not more so! IMHO
Old 08-03-2008, 07:41 PM   #79
Silver Duck

Default Are we talking about the same place?

Perhaps I caught them on an off night this past Saturday, but I'll never know because they're never going to get a second crack at me!

The clam strips that I was served were far and away the worst food that I've ever been served in a restaraunt. The batter was dark brown and fried so hard that I was in danger of breaking a tooth on the three or four that I managed to choke down, and the strips themselves were the toughest and rubberiest that I've ever encountered.

Silver Duck
Silver Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:02 PM   #80
fatlazyless

Boston Seafood is hiring...looking for a cook...1st ad in the classified....I'm destined to be the greatest cook in the history of lobster even though I do not eat it.

Locally, Laconia has an unemployment rate of 15%, according to the NH Dept Employment. Ditto, 15% unemployment for Plymouth, 30 minutes away. This job opening cannot last long!

How you like your steamers?
Old 08-05-2008, 06:58 PM   #81
phoenix

did you tell them that you also give hugs
Old 08-05-2008, 07:50 PM   #82
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Boston Seafood is hiring...looking for a cook...1st ad in the classified....I'm destined to be the greatest cook in the history of lobster even though I do not eat it.

Locally, Laconia has an unemployment rate of 15%, according to the NH Dept Employment. Ditto, 15% unemployment for Plymouth, 30 minutes away. This job opening cannot last long!

How you like your steamers?
Laconia has a 3.9 percent unmployment rate according to the NHDE.......but you & the truth have never been friends.

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:06 PM   #83
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
I mis-spoke! I was going to be given the extra food, like it or not, and was told to throw it away. Seems illogical and wasteful to me. Guess it's the way I was brought up. It, in no way, was about the money!!!
I used NO extra gas and did not go without either.
I am fortunate to live here year-round and there are many places who serve "outstanding fried clams" as well as other excellent food.
It seems that in these economic times, we should not be wasting food and good customer service is as important as tasty food...if not more so! IMHO
I'm sorry, but that is their menu. Perhaps you should make a suggestion to the owner about expanding the menu.

If I want ala carte I will go to FLL's favorite, McDs or somewhere like Mortons or Ruth's Chris!

BTW, you were going to buy the fries as part of the meal, it would have been your choice to eat them or throw them away.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2008, 03:17 PM   #84
sa meredith

Default Actually...

I too, found it a bit stange. When we had lunch there, the two woman in our group of four got the lobster rolls (they were great) and said, "let's grab an order of fried clams for the table, so we can all try them" but I was informed the place did not offer an "order of fried clams".
VitaBene...I must say, it is not at all unusual for a seafood restaurant to offer clams/ scallops/ strips/ chix fingers as ala carte items...although at such places they are refered to as "boxes" "sides" "pints" . If fact, I would go so far as to say it is unusual for a seafood place to not offer it this way.
I was shocked when I asked for an order of clams after placing a $55 lunch order and was told "we don't offer that". I just thought..."you don't want to sell me more of your product?" oh well...
I still like the place very much.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:57 PM   #85
ladyslipper

Default thank you sa meredith!

It was starting to sound like no-one had ever heard of such a thing as a "side-order". Your post was a breath of fresh air. I have not said anything negative about the food. I have yet to taste it. I guess I will wait until I have the desire to eat the french fries and cole slaw too......or not!! I did ask to speak to someone in charge to see if this was a "rule cast in stone". I was told it was "not negotiable". That was the "customer service" piece that I found odd and disappointing. In the end, they have "rules" and I have "choices". It's ALL GOOD!!!

On another note, I had the pleasure of eating a clam roll and onion rings at Waldo Peppers today. It was "OUTSTANDING"!! It was my first time at the new place. Excellent customer service, generous portions for a very good price. We will be back!!
Old 08-06-2008, 08:35 PM   #86
GWC...

Quote:
On another note, I had the pleasure of eating a clam roll and onion rings at Waldo Peppers today. It was "OUTSTANDING"!! It was my first time at the new place. Excellent customer service, generous portions for a very good price. We will be back!!
So, why did you not order a "side order", just clams?

BSS offers a clam sandwich and a side of onion rings...
Old 08-07-2008, 10:10 AM   #87
ladyslipper

Default ???????

[quote=GWC...;78394]So, why did you not order a "side order", just clams?

That's the point!!!! Both sa meridith and I TRIED to order a "side order".
They said they DO NOT DO "side orders"!
Old 08-07-2008, 10:30 AM   #88
eyenotall777

Default I think...

what GWC is trying to say is that BSS offers a Clam Sandwich w/ FF&Cole Slaw, but you may have onion rings instead of FF for an upcharge of .75, so you would actually have the same thing that you had a WP. No biggie.

My husband and I tried BSS on Monday and we split a Fried Clam/Scallop. It came w/ FF, Cole Slaw, Lemons and a Corn Muffin, extra Tarter. It was a great portion, 3 could of ate it, but we ate it all. Very hot and fresh. The scallops were lightly fried and juicy. The clams were okay, light batter, but not what we are used to for NE Fried Clams, we would go back.
eyenotall777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 10:31 AM   #89
sa meredith

Default his (or her)

His point, I believe, is why did you order a side at WP, when at Boston Seafood, you refused to take one. I'm guessing, but I would say he is just trying to get a spirited discussion going.
No biggie...I am a big of the "spirted discussion".
Old 08-07-2008, 09:41 PM   #90
ladyslipper

Default Very easy explanation!!

When I went to BSS I was alone! I wanted JUST CLAMS!
I don't like french fries or cole slaw.
When WE went to WP, my husband was with me!
He had a sandwich and we shared the onion rings and HE ate the cole slaw!
Old 09-12-2008, 03:49 PM   #91
phoenix

we went today for our last time and both had great lobster rolls. Through all the apparent turmoil this summer with ownership( not from my direct knowledge) the quality still remains. Price has gone up to 13.99 and they said they will close next weekend so if you want one more fix get there soon.
Old 09-12-2008, 04:37 PM   #92
ironhorsetim

Question forever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix View Post
they said they will close next weekend so if you want one more fix get there soon.
Are they closing for good or just the season?

"Always do sober,what you say you'll do drunk,
That will teach you to keep your mouth shut"
Ernest Hemmingway
ironhorsetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2008, 07:25 PM   #93
phoenix

he said he would reopen in April
ironhorsetim (09-13-2008)