Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2016, 01:36 PM   #1
Lmurphy

Default What stores are going in by Gilford Movie Plaza?

What will be going in at the new plaza by Gilford Movie plaza? Would be nice to have a new restaurant.
Lmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:35 PM   #2
topwater

I heard from a VERY RELIABLE source..... 1st and foremost ( YES ) a Market Basket, and they are trying to get an exit coming off the by-pass basically right into their parking lot.
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topwater For This Useful Post:
DRH (02-12-2016), Slickcraft (02-12-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 07:22 AM   #3
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default I believe the driveway cut is already approved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwater View Post
I heard from a VERY RELIABLE source..... 1st and foremost ( YES ) a Market Basket, and they are trying to get an exit coming off the by-pass basically right into their parking lot.
I believe that when the they first talked about the expansion at the Plaza, approval had already been obtained to have a driveway cut right at the lights on Route 11 at the end of the bypass.

At the time I read that, I immediately wondered what impact that will have on the snowmobile trail that runs along the side of Route 11 and under the Bypass bridge. Maybe the trail can be detoured around the back of the Plaza.?.
Old 02-12-2016, 08:43 AM   #4
AC2717

Happy days!!!!
Old 02-12-2016, 10:30 AM   #5
Duke's

That would be wonderful! However, it's my understanding is that MB's business model is to only have stores in buildings they own.
Duke's is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2016, 11:26 AM   #6
jbolty

Marty says ...
Attached Images

jbolty is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jbolty For This Useful Post:
pondguy (02-12-2016), TheRoBoat (02-14-2016)
Old 02-12-2016, 12:11 PM   #7
bigdog

If Market Basket goes into the Gilford Plaza, one of the other markets will bail !

Shaws, Hannaford, or Wal-Mart Super markets ?

The area could never sustain four food stores in the same geographical area so close to each other.
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:29 PM   #8
8gv

Shaws will go...so sayeth SWMBO.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 02:13 PM   #9
AC2717

I think Hannafords would be gonzo
that one is way over price never go in there, but the Shaws right there is always busy. our place is right around the corner of it. That Shaw's has the better prices of the Hannafords, and walmart right there 95% of the time

Don't forget all the people that stop at the ones in Tilton would now be stopping there. I think 3 is fine. I don't find many people using Walmart to grocery shop but to grab something while they are there for something else
Old 02-12-2016, 03:23 PM   #10
8gv

Supermarket death pool?
Old 02-17-2016, 09:30 AM   #11
Airedale1

Thanked 1,569 Times in 274 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8gv View Post
Shaws will go...so sayeth SWMBO.
I gotta agree with you. Shaws is hanging on by a thread as it is. Currently the lowest price points on average between the local supermarkets are in order of low to high as follows:

1. Wal-Mart
2. Hannaford
3. Shaws
Slickcraft (02-17-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 09:52 AM   #12
fatlazyless

Default ......... how much for milk?

Yes, did you know that yesterday, Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016, the Gilford Wal-Mart had their Great Value brand 1/2 gallon homogenized milk selling for $1.67, while over at Hannaford, the similar house brand 1/2 gal milk was selling for $1.99.

It definitely pays to shop around, and I always shop around before making any big purchases!

And furthermore, something tells me that I probably have too much time to kill here.......duh.......like, I already am missing all the presidential politicians!
Old 02-17-2016, 09:59 AM   #13
Toyorelle

Default Milk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
Yes, did you know that yesterday, Tuesday, Feb 16, 2016, the Gilford Wal-Mart had their Great Value brand 1/2 gallon homogenized milk selling for $1.67, while over at Hannaford, the similar house brand 1/2 gal milk was selling for $1.99.

It definitely pays to shop around, and I always shop around before making any big purchases!

And furthermore, something tells me that I probably have too much time to kill here.......duh.......like, I already am missing all the presidential politicians!
And Market Basket has their 1 Gallon milk on sale for $1.99 this week. Would love to see a MB take over that plaza.
Toyorelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:32 AM   #14
AC2717

although Market basket likes to hold their own property through their real estate company, there are two around me that are new in the past 3 years or maybe earlier that are in plazas' that they do not own.

also I have time and time again shopped at the Hannafords in Gilford and also the shaws during the summer. Hannafords has yet to beat that particular shaws in pricing. I think overall Hannafords has cheaper prices, but when it comes to that region, I don't think they do
Old 02-17-2016, 11:08 AM   #15
fatlazyless

.....and, come to think of it, the Meredith Cumberland Farm also has 1-gallon homogenized milk for 1.99, and Wal-Mart has a price matching policy, so you would need some type of paper verification from Cumby to get the Wal-Mart customer service to do this.....or a text message price check alert.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:18 AM   #16
8gv

It has been suggested that Hannaford has the highest prices.

It's hard for me to notice that due to my recent migration from CT where the high priced Big Y supermarket chain was wifey's favorite.

For the sake of the discussion let's stipulate that WalMart isn't leaving and Shaw's is lower priced than Hannaford.

Let's further stipulate that MB is known for low prices.

If MB pulls the more price conscious shoppers from its competitors then I predict the following results:

MB very successful
WalMart a small reduction in sales
Hannaford a noticeable but not fatal reduction in sales
Shaws gone when the real estate permits

This assumes MB has a highly visible grand opening campaign that penetrates well into Laconia and Belmont. A Market Basket billboard located on route 3 somewhere just south of the bypass entrance would be very helpful.
Old 02-17-2016, 12:16 PM   #17
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts
Default Tilton

Don't forget, the Shaws in Tilton closed and there is a WalMart and Market Basket in the same area. Apparently they couldn't compete there.

In the past I have found Shaws to be higher priced, in most cases, but that was before the Gilford WalMart expanded and the Hanaford moved to it's current location.

I do think that the handwriting was on the wall for Shaws and they have adjusted their prices accordingly. They seem to be much more competitive now than they were a few years ago.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 02:57 PM   #18
Taz

Default supermarkets

I see it differently than some posters. I live in Gilford full time and am in the supermarkets during the week. Shaws always empty. Hannfords always busy. Walmart busy but not much for food. Walmart prices in Gilford are not cheaper than Hannaford in my experience and sometimes more. Walmart selection not to my liking. Forget Shaws unless you get a sale or want bakery goods, Shaws bakery in my opinion is the best. Tried shopping at the MB in Tilton a couple times, saved some on some itens and others were the same or more expensive than Hannafords, over all not worth trip to Tilton when Hannafords is 2 minutes away. Over all experience I go to Hannafords as I am not going to 4 different stores to get the best price on every item.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Taz For This Useful Post:
Airedale1 (02-17-2016), bruinsfan (02-17-2016), Cindido (02-17-2016), Longtimelurker (02-17-2016), Reilly (02-17-2016), smith point boater (02-18-2016), Whimsey (02-18-2016)
Old 02-17-2016, 06:21 PM   #19
Crusty

Default Prices

It has been my experience in the lakes region (and in central Ohio) that supermarket prices depend on the day and the store. Last summer, while looking for cheap butter, I noticed that there was nearly a dollar/pound difference between the Tilton Walmart and the Gilford Walmart. Stores compete against each other in the same locale, not chain-wide. Since individual items are no longer price-stickered, all a store need do is change a single shelf tag and update their store's computer. Bingo, new pricing every day. When the new MB opens, everyone in that area will shuffle their prices to draw the most customers and maximize their profits. Any store that can't turn a profit will eventually close. In my opinion, the key to success is value for money. This includes service, selection, and quality, as well as price. That's the capitalist way. [Sorry to inject politics, but it seems to be a New Hampshire requirement. ]
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:34 PM   #20
Acrossamerica

Neither being a coupon buyer nor a shopper (I buy) I find the Market Basket chain to be a dream. Everyone of their stores offers the same price for the same item (special sales exempted) and the location of items is the same in every store. Saves time and frustration and one knows the prices are the same store to store.
Hannaford on the other hand, prices to the local market. Two Hannaford's in Rochester totally different price points, Hannaford in Alton higher priced than either Rochester store and Hannaford in Ossipee totally over priced.

Shaws is great if you are making something weird and need a special spice or product, Terrible fresh produce and overall not as pricey as Wolfeboro's two superettes with the Wolfeboro premium that so many locals seem to adore) but up there.
Acrossamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 06:40 PM   #21
8gv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
It has been my experience in the lakes region (and in central Ohio) that supermarket prices depend on the day and the store. Last summer, while looking for cheap butter, I noticed that there was nearly a dollar/pound difference between the Tilton Walmart and the Gilford Walmart. Stores compete against each other in the same locale, not chain-wide. Since individual items are no longer price-stickered, all a store need do is change a single shelf tag and update their store's computer. Bingo, new pricing every day. When the new MB opens, everyone in that area will shuffle their prices to draw the most customers and maximize their profits. Any store that can't turn a profit will eventually close. In my opinion, the key to success is value for money. This includes service, selection, and quality, as well as price. That's the capitalist way. [Sorry to inject politics, but it seems to be a New Hampshire requirement. ]

Varying price points to match the competitive set is what I call "street fighting".

Companies that are bound by national or regional pricing do so at their own peril.

Another factor in this might be the store layout. We have been to MB exactly once. Wifey liked the prices and product but found the store layout to be frustrating. It was different than the stores she usually shops. Her pattern of shopping was disrupted.

I am aware that supermarkets occasionally do a "reset" to allow their customers to see different items as they shop.

I wonder if a new MB would be set up the same way.
Old 02-17-2016, 09:59 PM   #22
Acrossamerica

Quote:

I am aware that supermarkets occasionally do a "reset" to allow their customers to see different items as they shop.

I wonder if a new MB would be set up the same way.
Market basket has not rearranged aisles or where product is placed in the ten years I have been using them from Dover to Portsmouth, Lee, Concord and Rochester. Very convenient. The reason they do this is so all employees at all stores know exactly where every single item in the store is located. Ask anyone where x or y is located and they do not even have to think they know. Highly trained staff equals less turnover and lower employee cost in the long run hence best prices in the area.

Love to know what bothered your wife about the layout if you know and care to share.
Acrossamerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 10:14 PM   #23
8gv

I think it was the placement of refrigerated or frozen items.

To me it was a like a long term Home Depot shopper trying to find stuff at Lowes. You know it's there somewhere and now find yourself looking at the signs to find it.

It's not better or worse, just different. I hope to use the occasion of the new MB to get us used to it. They are very successful for a reason.
Old 02-18-2016, 09:45 AM   #24
Taz

Default Demoulas

Back in the 90's when living in N. Andover MA shopped at Demoulas in Lawrence on 114. At that time I recall saving money shopping there with out coupons compared to shopping at Star Market on 28 in N. Reading with double coupons, good prices on non-perishables and there were good meats. However, their produce was the worst and had to shop elsewhere for produce.

After moving away to Manchester NH area only choice was Hannafords or Shaws until MB went in in Hooksett. When MB went in the prices of Hannafords much more competitive to MB than what I was experiencing in the 90's against Star and the produce still the worst.
Taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 02:00 PM   #25
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
Last summer, while looking for cheap butter,. ]
Sorry but I had a chuckle on this one.
Crusty (02-19-2016)
Old 02-18-2016, 05:20 PM   #26
drwamcross

Default What Other Stores ?

The consensus is that Market Basket will be going in there but does anybody know what else is planned. Someone said they thought there was going to be a new cinema, replacing the existing one.
drwamcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:11 PM   #27
8gv

I was at the Gilford movie theatre last night. They have some remodeling going on now.
Old 03-02-2016, 11:45 AM   #28
The Watcher

Default Developement

This image is out there from http://www.wjpdevelopment.com/nh/wp-...-commons-1.jpg
Attached Images

The Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Watcher For This Useful Post:
AC2717 (03-02-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 12:05 PM   #29
Phantom

WOW

I was expecting only perhaps a "facelift" to the existing structure....... this looks like a whole Reno job !

Old 03-02-2016, 12:19 PM   #30
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
WOW

I was expecting only perhaps a "facelift" to the existing structure....... this looks like a whole Reno job !

I'm sure this is just a wishful rendition by an architect who is spending other people's money. Once budget cuts and value engineering take place, it will probably be just a facelift... Hoping not but that would be my guess.

Dan
Old 03-02-2016, 01:04 PM   #31
PaugusBayFireFighter

That plane is in trouble...
PaugusBayFireFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaugusBayFireFighter For This Useful Post:
Reilly (03-03-2016)
Old 03-02-2016, 01:07 PM   #32
8gv

The plane is making a carrier landing on the roof. If you zoom way in you can see the tail hook.
Old 03-02-2016, 08:02 PM   #33
Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
I thing the patrons at Patrick's Pub might be in a little danger too.....
Outdoorsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:58 AM   #34
Chickie

Default Geese?

Are those geese eyeballing the lush green lawn for a potential new place to graze?
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 09:57 AM   #35
nhcatrider

The big inside reason why all Market Basket stores are set up the same way is for the warehouse. When all the stores are the same it makes warehousing much more efficient, which means lower prices. When the trucks get to the stores, entire aisles are on one or two skids, which can be brought out to the sales floor before opening hours and the shelves stocked quickly and efficiently.
nhcatrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 11:06 AM   #36
sum-r breeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter View Post
sum-r breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 12:58 PM   #37
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcatrider View Post
The big inside reason why all Market Basket stores are set up the same way is for the warehouse. When all the stores are the same it makes warehousing much more efficient, which means lower prices. When the trucks get to the stores, entire aisles are on one or two skids, which can be brought out to the sales floor before opening hours and the shelves stocked quickly and efficiently.
They might be set up similar but certainly not the same. I use 2 brand new stores here in Manchester and Bedford Nh and they are totally opposite.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:18 PM   #38
topwater

Thumbs up

Quote:
It has been suggested that Hannaford has the highest prices.

It's hard for me to notice that due to my recent migration from CT where the high priced Big Y supermarket chain was wifey's favorite.

For the sake of the discussion let's stipulate that WalMart isn't leaving and Shaw's is lower priced than Hannaford.

Let's further stipulate that MB is known for low prices.

If MB pulls the more price conscious shoppers from its competitors then I predict the following results:

MB very successful
WalMart a small reduction in sales
Hannaford a noticeable but not fatal reduction in sales
Shaws gone when the real estate permits

This assumes MB has a highly visible grand opening campaign that penetrates well into Laconia and Belmont. A Market Basket billboard located on route 3 somewhere just south of the bypass entrance would be very helpful.
I agree However, My prediction is WalMart loses 7%, and I know for a fact they're numbers so far this year are down consiberably.
Hannaford will lose initially about 20% and they will be lucky if they get 8-9% back.
Shaw's will be gone. Bring Back the BIG BANANA...
topwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:39 AM   #39
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
They might be set up similar but certainly not the same. I use 2 brand new stores here in Manchester and Bedford Nh and they are totally opposite.
Setting up stores in the same chain in a different manner is intentional. Lowe's does it, Home Depot does it too.

The reason they do it is so that someone who is not familiar with that particular store will have to walk around a bit to find what the want. The hope is that the shopper will see something else they want or need and buy that too. It is a deliberate marketing strategy.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:23 AM   #40
nhcatrider

However it is not what MB does. Trust me, I worked for them for over 20 years. The more efficient your warehouse is the more efficiently product gets delivered to the stores and stocked. Years ago it would take most of the day to get a truck unloaded and shelves stocked. The way they are doing it now the trucks are usually started around 7 and done by noon. Then it's do orders and work any extra stock in the backroom.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:53 AM   #41
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Speaking in relation to Lowes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
Setting up stores in the same chain in a different manner is intentional. Lowe's does it, Home Depot does it too.

The reason they do it is so that someone who is not familiar with that particular store will have to walk around a bit to find what the want. The hope is that the shopper will see something else they want or need and buy that too. It is a deliberate marketing strategy.
I worked for Lowes for a short period of time in Rochester NH, and had been in the Gilford store. When I first arrived in the Rochester store, I noticed that it was not set up the same as the Gilford store. I asked why, and this was the explanation.

Lowes has two basic setups; a left hand store and a right hand store. If I remember it correctly, if the garden center is on the left as you look at it, and the Contractor area is on the right, it is a left hand store, and if the garden center is on the right and the Contractor area is on the left, it is a right hand store. Once inside, the aisles flow the same from the garden center to the contractor area, it just depends on which end of the store you start from. It does make the placement of product out on the sales floor much easier.

It almost seems that Market Basket may do the same thing, at least in stores that have the same square footage.

Last edited by upthesaukee; 03-05-2016 at 11:28 AM.
upthesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:17 AM   #42
Winnisquamer

It's all lean business practices. Zero surprise they set stores up the same way, manufacturing companies set up product lines the same way. In 15 more years everything will be or almost be identical to each other.
Winnisquamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:11 PM   #43
Bob G

I would love to see a MB in Gilford. I too live in Gilford year round and agree with Taz post. The only thing that makes me skeptical is that the entire area is way to small. AKA The Freshguy
Bob G is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob G For This Useful Post:
Reilly (03-06-2016)
Old 03-05-2016, 07:36 PM   #44
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob G View Post
I would love to see a MB in Gilford. I too live in Gilford year round and agree with Taz post. The only thing that makes me skeptical is that the entire area is way to small. AKA The Freshguy

We would also like to see a MB in Gilford but also wonder if there is enough space on the lot for MB and all the other promised venues.

Should MB build there, Hannford would adapt and survive, Walmart grocery portion would loose even more $$ but corporate would keep the store afloat and another Shaw's would meet it's just end. And, yes we also miss the Big Banana.
Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 04:51 AM   #45
bruinsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
We would also like to see a MB in Gilford but also wonder if there is enough space on the lot for MB and all the other promised venues.

Should MB build there, Hannford would adapt and survive, Walmart grocery portion would loose even more $$ but corporate would keep the store afloat and another Shaw's would meet it's just end. And, yes we also miss the Big Banana.
What are some of the other "promised venues"..... just curious.
bruinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:17 AM   #46
Slickcraft

Thanked 1,999 Times in 913 Posts

Well here is the sign. Same sign design as what had been up at the development on Rt 11 in Rochester just south of the Walmart.
Attached Images

Slickcraft is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Airedale1 (03-07-2016), bruinsfan (03-06-2016), DRH (03-07-2016), ghfromaltonbay (03-06-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 09:17 AM   #47
nhcatrider

Does anyone know who owns the property? That would be useful information, often businesses tend to lease with the same company if they have multiple stores.
Old 03-12-2016, 07:53 AM   #48
riverat

Default Plaza Vandalized

http://www.nh1.com/news/gilford-poli...ficant-damage/