Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-04-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
jt3kids

Default choose a boat?

Hey all. If I'm not in the right forum, please let me know. I took my family up to the lake from Mass for the first time this summer. In an 89 175 larson bowrider. Great lake boat, but old and a little small for us, and especially for Winni. so my question is: I might be thinking about upgrading. we have 5 kids, some have boyfriends, etc. 99% of our time is at local small lakes doing some tubing/skiing, anchoring and enjoying some drinks and the sun. With that being said, I've been thinking about a deck boat. I know they don't handle as well as a deep V hull, but I'm interested in the seating capability that comes with alot of power. If that isn't the way to go, does anyone have any ideas on a bowrider for 8 -10 people? Obviously for 50,000 I can find something, but I'm looking for used for around 10 - 12000. How would a 21' deck boat handle lake Winnipesaukee? We only come up there one week per year, so I'm trying not to purchase a boat just on that fact. Thanks for any input for my future purchase, and hope to be back next july 4th week. - Jim
jt3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
NHBUOY

Lightbulb

Check out www.americanboatclubnh.com This may be something to consider. Kurt would be your contact. They are located in Meredith.
NHBUOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #3
jrc

Search around a little, there have been a few decent threads recently on this topic.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 01:39 PM   #4
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

So I assume you trailer your boat. So the first consideration is your tow vehicle, and what it can handle... Are you willing to upgrade that as well.
That for starters will dictate what some of your options are...

Second your right, if your primary use is on smaller lakes don't judge your buying requirements on the one week you spend on Winnipesaukee....

With that said The deck boats with a V haul appear to be a nice alternative. I personally have been giving them some consideration. Four Winns make a nice looking version, I believe they call it their funship line, and Searay make their SunDeck line... Stringray also has a line of deck boats as well... I am sure there are others as well...
jt3kids (10-05-2012)
Old 10-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
camp guy

Default Choose a boat

Have you considered a pontoon boat? With 5 kids and associated friends, finding a V-hull to house all these bodies, in your price range, will be tough, so maybe a pontoon would be the answer. The newer versions of pontoons come with plenty of power, current amenities, plenty of seating options, and walk-around space.

Sounds like you use the boat as a floating cottage, so why not go for the flexibility of a pontoon.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2012, 05:35 PM   #6
Jidge

Default Not a fan of the capacity plate

Whatever you buy I wouldn't go by the capacity as far as weight and number of people. I have a 24' Chaparral bowrider with a deep v hull and mine says it can take 12 adults or 2400 lbs. I wouldn't take anymore than 8 adults and a couple of kids because you have to think of comfort too. Its fine if your just transporting everyone across the lake for an ice cream or dinner on a calm day but if it starts getting choppy it can be a scary ride when your freeboard starts shrinking because of the weight you have onboard because the boat maker says you can. I've seen so many boats on the lake loaded to capacity and wondered how they'd ever cross the broads or handle the 3-4 waves on a windy day.
I'm not trying to scare you into buying a 50 footer but its just something to think about. I'm with Camp Guy, I'd probably go pontoon.
Jidge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jidge For This Useful Post:
jt3kids (10-05-2012)
Old 10-05-2012, 05:41 PM   #7
mas1992bc

I bought a used Sea Ray Sundeck 200. It is a 2006 and about 21 feet long. Great swim platform and It seats 8 people comfortably and handles the lake really well, even in rough water. I can even get 9 pr 10 people on if some are small kids. Great for towing the kids. I paid 20k for 2006 a couple of years ago. I love the boat, but at times it would be nice to have a slightly bigger boat to fit 2 or 3 more people. But, those are much more expensive. I bought mine at Channel Marine. Give them a call. They usually have a bunch of pre-owned boats you can try.
mas1992bc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mas1992bc For This Useful Post:
jt3kids (10-05-2012)
Old 10-05-2012, 06:05 PM   #8
AmantiDelLago

I'd recommend a Sundeck also. We bought a used Sea Ray Sundeck this spring and really enjoyed it. If you look at used boats I'm sure you will notice that the Sea Rays hold up much better than most brands. The only bad thing is that they are real popular so they tend to hold their value. But now is the time to buy. A friend purchased a repo boat from down south and did real well price wise. Also, check certifiedsales.com. they have some deals down in Mendon Ma. I bought a camper through them right before Christmas and got an awesome deal.
AmantiDelLago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AmantiDelLago For This Useful Post:
jt3kids (10-05-2012)
Old 10-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #9
jt3kids

Default boat

Camp guy: my cousing lives on a lake, just bought a new Bently 25' pontoon. its terrific. However, my kids ( and Girlfriends kids) are 12,13,15,15,19: The boys are in competition on who can stand on the tube the longest, who can jump off the tube while going 20mph and do a flip in the air, etc ( you get the point). We are still in the tube/ski phase, so I need the power and a deck boat seems to give me everything we need.
Jidge: I had 8 people in my 17 ft bowrider. pushed to the limits, no room, and no way in heck would I try to cross the broads. Its scary enough pulling a tube and trying to hit the wave head on. if some of those waves hit the side it could sink us. My ideal boat would probably be a center console proline type 25', with some custom seating for many people. it could handle anything even offshore. but unfortunately money is a factor. Yes, I do trailer the boat with a 2004 ford explorer. I could go up to a 21' bowrider but thats pushing it, and I can't upgrade at this time. FYI, the GF says Pontoon, but the kids will loose out on tubing/skiing. some of those searay deck boats are very nice
Old 10-06-2012, 01:55 AM   #10
Greene's Basin Girl

We purchased a 24 foot Harris pontoon boat in early June. We already have over 60 hours on it and we just love it. We travel all over the lake even when the water is rough. It has 3 pontoons and a performance package. I have been on the since the 1950's and by far this is the best boat I have ever owned.
Greene's Basin Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:46 AM   #11
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default don't sell a pontoon boat short.

I have a 25 ft Mariah bowrider and I must say I am amazed by the speed of pontoon boats today. I have ceased to look at a pontoon as being a party barge.

Living in Alton Bay, our trips in and out of Alton Bay is sometimes made a little interesting dealing with tubers and skiers. What is amazing is the number of pontoons that are pulling these tubers and skiers, including big kids on the toys.

It is also amazing to see the number of pontoons that will anchor and have the kids jumping and diving into the water as the party continues. Lots of room, speed and stability, and the ability to go from a rough area to a smoother area in relative comfort and safety. All this coming from someone who just a few short years ago would not be caught dead on a pontoon.

As GBB said, if performance is what you want, get one with a performance package.
Ropetow (10-07-2012)
Old 10-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #12
robmac

I agree with GBG,a tri toon with enough power will fit the need and handle the broads in the rough. Otherwise to get the room you want you'd have to go bigger.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #13
Chaselady

Default Triton would be good for you

I agreed with Camp Guy, GBG and others. A tritoon high performance pontoon boat would be perfect for your family. I saw one on Craigslist that has 200 HP not far from Lake Winni located in Tuftonboro, NH. A 200 HP could pull all yours kids at the same time. Good luck in your search!
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #14
gf2020

He's looking to spend $10-12K! A new Bentley or Harris tri-toon is going to be well over $30K.
gf2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 06:35 AM   #15
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
He's looking to spend $10-12K! A new Bentley or Harris tri-toon is going to be well over $30K.
In that price range your best bet is to wait until you can save more money.
10-12K doesn't buy much even in the used boat market.
I'd test drive, figure out what you want then save up and do it right the first time. How disappointed will you be when you spend that 10-12k and find out your not in the right boat for your application.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:25 AM   #16
Winnisquamguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
In that price range your best bet is to wait until you can save more money.
10-12K doesn't buy much even in the used boat market.
I'd test drive, figure out what you want then save up and do it right the first time. How disappointed will you be when you spend that 10-12k and find out your not in the right boat for your application.
I don't agree at all... there are plenty of nice used boats on the market right now. I see your biggest obstacle being your tow vehicle.I have a pontoon and I don't think I would want to pull it around from lake to lake, but thats just me. Look on craigs list and boat trader and you will surely fine something in the 10-12K range it might be a older boat but it can be done.A nice 20-21 ft bowrider would be what I would be looking for. You have all winter to look and there will be some nice buys.Good Luck!!
Old 10-07-2012, 08:51 AM   #17
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts

While I agree that a performance package tri-toon with a big motor would be great choice, I highly doubt Jim would find one in the price range he has budgeted. A new performance package tri-toon of any brand would be well in excess of $50,000.00 without a trailer. I doubt you could find a serviceable used one for 10 -12 grand that he has budgeted.

I do think he could find a good used deck boat or similar in that price range and NOW is the time to look. There are deals to be had out there especially this time of year!

Good luck Jim!

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #18
Belmont Resident

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
While I agree that a performance package tri-toon with a big motor would be great choice, I highly doubt Jim would find one in the price range he has budgeted. A new performance package tri-toon of any brand would be well in excess of $50,000.00 without a trailer. I doubt you could find a serviceable used one for 10 -12 grand that he has budgeted.

I do think he could find a good used deck boat or similar in that price range and NOW is the time to look. There are deals to be had out there especially this time of year!

Good luck Jim!

Dan
I also agree there are boats out there but he wants to put 8-10 people on this boat. That is a lot of people to be out in a boat for a day on the lake unless it is a pontoon or a much larger then 21-22 or even 24 foot boat.
Will the boat hold that many maybe but your going to be elbow to elbow unless your at a sand bar and offload most. We have a 26 Chaparral which will easily hold 8 but there's no room to move around either.
There is a big difference between taking 8-10 out for a ride and spending the day on the lake with 8-10, also the power needed to get the boat out of the water would mean a big block engine.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #19
jt3kids

Default boat

thanks for everyones advice. I don't think I would spend all day on the water, I would need a much bigger boat for that. on the local lakes we spend about 5 or 6 hours, stop every once in a while and anchor and float, then do some more tubing, etc. I don't need a boat with a head, sink, etc. that is out of my league. I like the idea of waiting till I had more money, but my 88 larson bowrider ( even though I spent a ton of money in the lower unit and engine to get it running perfect), its still getting older. I replaced everything with trailer, springs tires wiring, etc. all electrical on boat, gauges, cushions, new bildge, starter, pump, etc. you get the idea. this thing shines, and looks and runs great and best of all; its paid for. maybe I'll keep it for one more year, but looking at newer boats its hard to not pull the trigger and get one...the deck boats look nice. I think I can get into one about 1999-early 2000's for about 10 - 12. hopefully with a 200hp. Oh, and I'm posting another thread in another forum on ideas to stay next year. we come up the week of 4th of july. stayed on governors island last year. nice place buy expensive. might go south towards alton. Wiers beach just isn't what its cracked up to be for the kids anymore?
Old 10-11-2012, 04:50 PM   #20
lawn psycho

Consider an inground swimming pool...

As for 10-12k for a boat that can comfortably carry the passenger numbers you want, it will definitely be an older boat. If you can work on boats you can find a deal and get sweat equity but clean used boats in 22-26 ft range don't go cheap.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote