Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 07-22-2020, 11:55 AM   #1
Phantom

Default Amazing Cleaning Product for the bathroom

It may sound silly -- but we've been having a nagging problem with rust stains in our toilet bowls. When we leave to go home for the week, we always come back to bowls with rust stain marks -- We know the "root cause" is the seal from the tank but simply do not want to deal with that right now.

We have been through popular CLR, and many other products and stumbled upon "Iron Out" from Summit Brands, available everywhere (including Amazon) ………. Truly AMAZING !!

For the water tank, you simply sprinkle liberally some of the powder into the tank, let it sit a few hours & flush. The water tank looks new again.

For the bowl, we found a spray on version -- same process.

For those with well water, you know all too well what I am describing -- This was worth sharing to all.
Attached Images

Marauder (07-22-2020), Sue Doe-Nym (07-23-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 12:26 PM   #2
Descant

Thanked 1,509 Times in 982 Posts
Default supply line

We used to have a lot of iron in the (lake) water. Probably 40 years ago we changed the supply line from galvanized pipe to PVC. No more iron.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Phantom (07-22-2020)
Old 07-22-2020, 09:35 PM   #3
GTO

Default Bowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
It may sound silly -- but we've been having a nagging problem with rust stains in our toilet bowls. When we leave to go home for the week, we always come back to bowls with rust stain marks -- We know the "root cause" is the seal from the tank but simply do not want to deal with that right now.

We have been through popular CLR, and many other products and stumbled upon "Iron Out" from Summit Brands, available everywhere (including Amazon) ………. Truly AMAZING !!

For the water tank, you simply sprinkle liberally some of the powder into the tank, let it sit a few hours & flush. The water tank looks new again.

For the bowl, we found a spray on version -- same process.

For those with well water, you know all too well what I am describing -- This was worth sharing to all.
We have to scrub the bowl very two weeks.. do you just spray it in the bowl? Is it septic friendly?
Old 07-22-2020, 10:27 PM   #4
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
We have to scrub the bowl very two weeks.. do you just spray it in the bowl? Is it septic friendly?
Here's a link. See FAQs..

https://summitbrands.com/iron-out-ru...movers/powder/

Dave
Old 07-23-2020, 07:10 AM   #5
Phantom

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
yes & yes

For the first attempt, the powder (tank) version it may take 1-2 attempts, each will show SIGNIFICANT progress. A toilet brush will help accelerate.

Same for the inaugural bowl version -- after that it was simply "maintenance" …. so spraying it on when we arrived, leave alone for 1/2- 1 hour …. got rid of the "lines" that formed during the week gone.

Next experiment for us will be to put a small portion of the powder in the tank BEFORE leaving on Sunday's as it's the tank water slowly dripping into the bowl - perhaps that will stop the "lines" from forming -- We'll see

Again - as stated in the original post, so the "plumbers" of the forum don't take this off track -- we know the "root cause" is the seal/ flapper between tank & bowl ……. just don't want to mess with it now.
Old 07-23-2020, 07:46 AM   #6
Rich

My home water used to be high in manganese and some iron. We used to have a terrible problem with stains in the toilets. Lately we're on town water so the issue isn't as bad now.

I found Iron Out worked wonders! As stated, sprinkle some in the tank and the bowl and let it sit over night, or longer if possible.

It works like magic, almost no scrubbing, but a swipe with the bow brush can help.

The tanks went from looking black and nasty, to something you could almost swim in! Sparkling clean! They actually looked brand new!

Try it, you'll be amazed!

If you have any stains in sinks, or your bathtub, it can help there also.

I'm on septic and no problems after years of use.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich For This Useful Post:
Phantom (07-23-2020)