Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-30-2010, 11:34 PM   #1
bigdog

Default New NH Taxpayer !

It's official ! I became a NH taxpayer effective ths past week, and loving it !
Been a regular visitor to Lakes Region for more than 40 yrs, and my dream to live in NH has finally come true. Going to live where I play !

Sorry to my kids, spent a lot of your inheritance but put I spent it on
Real Estate, and pulled a lot of $$$$ out of Stock Market to accomplish, but have no regrets...... Oh maybe one...... That I didn't do this 20 yrs ago !
In the long run, I think the R.E. will have a better return on investment.

Hope I can live up to the State's slogan 'Love Free or Die' ! Down with taxes!
and will support any political candidate Democrat or Republican who supports this agenda.

See you on the Lake !

Bigdog
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 12:42 AM   #2
hazelnut

Whereabouts did you move to. And oh yeah, congratulations!
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:49 AM   #3
TOAD

I'm jealous but happy for you. Tadpole and I are still looking for our retirement palce.

I like your stand on taxes also.
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:49 AM   #4
Tiger Lilly

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
It's official ! 'Love Free or Die' !
Bigdog

I like that one better than the original!! Congratulations!
Tiger Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 07:52 AM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,381 Times in 957 Posts

Yes, welcome! With that attitude you are the kind of people we need to move to the state! Fight those taxes!!!
tis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2010, 09:29 AM   #6
Eagle

Just wait till you get your property tax bill, you won't be so cheerful since we have the second highest property taxes in the nation.

Live, Pay and Die.
Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:15 AM   #7
robmac

Still more cost effective than MA. I'll never go back been here over half of my life.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 10:25 AM   #8
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Welcome

Just make sure you listen to us true NH natives. The ones that were born and raised here. Totally diferent view of the world compared to our Southern brethens. It's like we move the Mason/Dixon line to the NH border! LOL!

We may have the second highest property tax. You may not see the difference overall when you are not paying income and sales tax. Or excise tax on your boat.

Pick up the latest New Hampshire Magazine and read the article about how NH natives feel about the 'Born again' natives. Gives you a clue as to what should be expected in the political scene.

Extreme right native bumper sticker, 'Welcome to NH, Now go home'
Extreme left native bumper sticker, 'Make it in Mass. Spend it in NH'.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:29 PM   #9
Irish mist

Congrats, and welcome. Expect a big shift in government up here this November.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 02:52 PM   #10
Misty Blue

Default Howdy Dog!

So when is the house warming party?!

If you are really a BIG dog than you must be itch'en for a flea launch'en party. You have friends on the fourm and i'll bet'cha that if you name a time and place then you will be clearing the dock and cooling the brewskies!

We made the same move 11 years ago. We left WESTERN (not to be confused with that boston crowd) Mass and, while we miss our friends, have never looked back. BTW You can invite your old friends to the lake. We have never had a no show.

Welcome!

Misty Blue
Misty Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 03:04 PM   #11
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Smile Ya But...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Just wait till you get your property tax bill, you won't be so cheerful since we have the second highest property taxes in the nation.

Live, Pay and Die.
When considering ALL taxes.. check this out from the non partisan Tax Foundation

http://www.taxfoundation.org/taxdata/show/468.html

and this...

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lis...esbystate2005/

When you look at all the data. We do pretty good.

And if you want to compare New Hampshire with other states accross a broad range of measurements... this is a interesting site.

http://www.statemaster.com/graph/eco...den-per-capita

PS Welcome bigdog... we escaped Mass in 1986 and would never want to live anywhere else.
Old 01-31-2010, 03:47 PM   #12
Irish mist

Don't let the NH has such a "high property tax" crowd kid you. In the good to excellent Massachusetts communties home values are much higher than most of the NH upscale towns hence property taxes in places like Brookline, Cambridge, Arlington, and Winchester are as high, or higher than many desired NH towns that have the same kinds of property as these Massachusetts towns

I pay under $2,500 a year for a beautiful 1100 sf condo with 2 bedrooms & 2 baths, pool, clubhouse, and within walking distance to the beach. It's not perfect up here concerning the property tax burden, but it's not quite the problem it's made out to be either.
Old 01-31-2010, 05:19 PM   #13
Eagle

Perhaps this will make it a lot clearer:
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...StateRank.aspx
Old 01-31-2010, 05:38 PM   #14
lawn psycho

Default Government Employees

Yet another example of government waste. At least someone is trying to stop it. This is especially prone to abuse by police and fire department employees who crank up the OT and extra shifts their last couple years before they hit the retirement age/years limits. I know of a Portsmouth cop who's retirement is based on nearly 2X of what his base salary was.

N.H. bill would stop pension 'padding'
By Associated Press
January 31, 2010 10:36 AM
CONCORD, N.H. - A bill in the New Hampshire Legislature aimed at pension "padding" would base payments on public employees' highest level of base salary at the time they retired.

Republican Rep. Neal Kurk of Weare is sponsoring the bill. Kurk tells Foster's Daily Democrat in Dover that in many cases, state, municipal, county and school employees have padded their base salaries as they were nearing retirement to boost their pensions.

Kurk says they did this by using pay from special details, overtime and compensation for unused vacation, sick or personal time they were allotted.

Most bills filed this year seeking to change the state retirement system already have died in the House.
lawn psycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 05:49 PM   #15
Irish mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawn psycho View Post
Yet another example of government waste. At least someone is trying to stop it. This is especially prone to abuse by police and fire department employees who crank up the OT and extra shifts their last couple years before they hit the retirement age/years limits. I know of a Portsmouth cop who's retirement is based on nearly 2X of what his base salary was.

N.H. bill would stop pension 'padding'
By Associated Press
January 31, 2010 10:36 AM
CONCORD, N.H. - A bill in the New Hampshire Legislature aimed at pension "padding" would base payments on public employees' highest level of base salary at the time they retired.

Republican Rep. Neal Kurk of Weare is sponsoring the bill. Kurk tells Foster's Daily Democrat in Dover that in many cases, state, municipal, county and school employees have padded their base salaries as they were nearing retirement to boost their pensions.

Kurk says they did this by using pay from special details, overtime and compensation for unused vacation, sick or personal time they were allotted.

Most bills filed this year seeking to change the state retirement system already have died in the House.
Another reason why these radicals who have taken over the NH democratic party are going to be replaced this fall. Between their budget busting 20% increses year after year & the infamous "bathroom bill" which they tried to pass 3 times things are out of control up here.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:05 PM   #16
John A. Birdsall

Default move

I hope you did not tell your kids you moved. They might want to move in with you. And you think taxes are high.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:05 PM   #17
bigdog

Thanks everyone for all the Congrats !

Still have house in Mass. going to keep for several years longer. Won't spend entire time in NH, but probably 5 out of 7 days per week.

Job allows me to work from home, so that's not an issue. Hope to eventually spend part of winter in Fla, rest of year in NH on Winnie, that's the plan I'm working towards. May take me a few more years to get to that point. When that time comes, the house in Mass will be sold.

Not a typical Mass. transient, coming across the border to push that old political agenda ! Not here! Will listen to the old NH Yanklees for advice and wisdom....

Thanks everyone again for the warm welcome ! See you on the Lake.

Bigdog
Old 02-03-2010, 10:49 AM   #18
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Thanks everyone for all the Congrats !
Not a typical Mass. transient, coming across the border to push that old political agenda ! Not here! Will listen to the old NH Yanklees for advice and wisdom....
Thanks everyone again for the warm welcome ! See you on the Lake.
Bigdog
Then welcome,welcome,welcome and here is your first advice....please say a big NO to big spending liberals.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:34 PM   #19
Ropetow

Default welcome

Welcome, Big Dog! We made the move to NH about 7 years ago and have never regretted it. I also brought my conservative views with me. Sad thing I have learned is that many of the most radical leftists in the NH House and Senate are natives! Guess that's why the Old Man couldn't take it any more.
Ropetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 03:50 PM   #20
Anton

Smile

I, too, just moved from the evil state of Massachusetts. I personally detest sweeping generalizations, but usually placate those who choose to believe that everyone moving up from Massachusetts is a crazy liberal.

I've been called such, because I choose not to care what happens in the bedrooms of others, because I choose not to hate on any brown people that have last names I can't pronounce. I've been called extreme teabagging conservative because I choose to carry a weapon to defend myself.

I am not here to make new laws that effect the good natives of NH. I am here to help defend those who are in the crosshairs of overzealous politicians, busybodies, and those who seek power over others.

Live free or die, death is not the worst of evils.
Anton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:32 PM   #21
Rattlesnake Guy

Welcome to the State and the Website Anton.

Hope you find that many people here don't exactly fit a single stereotype either

Now that you live in New Hampshire you are more likely to wear your seat belt even though you don't have to. Nice how that works.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:26 AM   #22
VitaBene

Thanked 1,608 Times in 823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anton View Post
I, too, just moved from the evil state of Massachusetts. I personally detest sweeping generalizations, but usually placate those who choose to believe that everyone moving up from Massachusetts is a crazy liberal.

I've been called such, because I choose not to care what happens in the bedrooms of others, because I choose not to hate on any brown people that have last names I can't pronounce. I've been called extreme teabagging conservative because I choose to carry a weapon to defend myself.

I am not here to make new laws that effect the good natives of NH. I am here to help defend those who are in the crosshairs of overzealous politicians, busybodies, and those who seek power over others.

Live free or die, death is not the worst of evils.
I like to say that I escaped MA!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:44 AM   #23
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmac View Post
Still more cost effective than MA. I'll never go back been here over half of my life.
Ummmm don't be so certain of that.... I have done cost comparison.... And you really aren't as better off then you think......

The money is just taken from you in different ways......
Old 02-11-2010, 11:51 AM   #24
dpg

Actually it seems I read somewhere that over time the stock market has continually beat real estate for returns. That article stuck in my mind because I was surprised at this, but whatever. Instead of getting stocks someday your family will be left a home.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 11:56 AM   #25
fatlazyless

For 25-years, I ran a profitable little owner-operator business down in Boston and had up to three employees, and yes I confess to having been a Massachusetts Republican back in the 1970's, 80's & 90's.

Now as someone who always takes the time to vote, I've definately done a real life Mr Hyde & Dr Jeckle transformation by rethinking myself into a New Hampshire Democrat.........hardcore unemployed!

How do you say N H 5% Income Tax!
Old 02-11-2010, 12:02 PM   #26
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Actually it seems I read somewhere that over time the stock market has continually beat real estate for returns. That article stuck in my mind because I was surprised at this, but whatever. Instead of getting stocks someday your family will be left a home.
Yes and no....not if your stocks were longtime bluechips like Lehman Brothers, Bear Stearns, Merrill Lynch, Washington Mutual, American International Group, Fannie Mae, Freddy Mac, General Motors, Chrysler, Wachovia, General Electric, Enron, Toyota, or Lucent....then you can just forget about all that lost money.......sort of like the Meredith-based FRM 'Ponzi' scheme....better to be invested into beer, cigarettes & electricity stocks....items which are true necessities forever ....Look what happened to AT&T, america's widows' & orphans' stock.....AT&T got dialed a wrong number!
Old 02-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #27
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
How do you say N H 5% Income Tax!
I would pronounce it: "Go back to Massachusetts"
Old 02-11-2010, 12:32 PM   #28
tis

I agree Chip. Let's pick and choose who we allow to come here! If they like the income tax, they can't come. If they want to come here because they like the way it is (or was before they came) but then want to change it, then they also can't come. If they want more government, then they can't come. If they want a nanny state, then they can't come. If they want more and more services for which we all have to pay, then they can't come. If they want to take over our local government, (run the planning boards, selectmen, etc.) then they can't come. NH has changed enough. We don't want any more.
I am reminded of a friend who went to a newcomer's meeting. The person who was speaking said: "Now that we are here we want to close the bridge and not let any more in." That is the truth. I couldn't believe it!
Old 02-11-2010, 12:51 PM   #29
Happy Gourmand

Default tis...

OK...but who gets to do the pickin' and choosin' ?
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:50 PM   #30
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
OK...but who gets to do the pickin' and choosin' ?
Conservatives (who want to cut back on entitlements)
Seaplane Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 02:06 PM   #31
bigdog

FYI... and I wasn't taking all the chatter personally, honest !

What I will not support for N.H.is:
- Income tax
- Sales Tax
- More Services, Welfare, etc,
- Expansion of Govt. bureaucracy, whether at the State or Local level

What I do support for N.H.:
- Lowering Property Taxes
- Downsizing of State/Count/Local Govt. agencies
- End to the Social Service hand-outs, and entitlements!
- State/Local agencies to live within their budgets, w/o raising taxes.
- Elimination of Govt. regulations which restrict our freedoms, and suppress
the expansion of private enterprise/small businesses
- Accountability from ALL our elected officials

Is this to much to ask ?

Can I stay ? It's taken me so long to arrive !

Bigdog
Old 02-11-2010, 03:41 PM   #32
Eagle

Angry

Quote:
What I do support for N.H.:
- Lowering Property Taxes
- Downsizing of State/Count/Local Govt. agencies
- End to the Social Service hand-outs, and entitlements!
- State/Local agencies to live within their budgets, w/o raising taxes.
- Elimination of Govt. regulations which restrict our freedoms, and suppress
the expansion of private enterprise/small businesses
- Accountability from ALL our elected officials
Lower property taxes are not going to happen until all the other items in your list are implemented.

And accountability from ALL our elected officials is never going to happen until they get rid of all the lobbyists in Concord.

I've gone to legislative hearings where there were 5 or 6 interested citizens in the room and the rest of the room was full of lobbyist looking out for the companies they represent. The ordinary citizen in New Hampshire doesn't have the chance of a snowball in hell of ever changing anything in this State Government.

Revolution is the only way anything will ever change.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:50 PM   #33
NoRegrets

Welcome to NH!
NoRegrets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:25 PM   #34
tis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Lower property taxes are not going to happen until all the other items in your list are implemented.

And accountability from ALL our elected officials is never going to happen until they get rid of all the lobbyists in Concord.

I've gone to legislative hearings where there were 5 or 6 interested citizens in the room and the rest of the room was full of lobbyist looking out for the companies they represent. The ordinary citizen in New Hampshire doesn't have the chance of a snowball in hell of ever changing anything in this State Government.

Revolution is the only way anything will ever change.
You are so right about that. I had occasion to spend a lot of time in Concord going to hearings and for several of them the room was full of US trying to change the law. It went on and on, I can't tell you how many times we went to Concord and how much time it took to do so. In the end the lobbyist who happened to be from Gilmanton came up with a "law" and they accepted it. It was better than nothing but it was not really what we all wanted. I found it very interesting that the lobbyist said to them that he didn't have this problem in Gilmanton. It took a few meetings before the lobbyists showed up but I can tell you I don't have much use for them. We would have been better if they stayed away. To my knowledge noone has ever taken advantage of the new law. But at least we did something.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:44 PM   #35
bigdog

Eagle,

You're so corect, it's going to take a Revolution by the taxpayers and voters of N.H.

I know it can be done, I saw this happen in Mass.. with the recent election of Scott Brown for Senator. Now we'll have to wait and watch what he does, and if he stands behind his campaign promises???

BTW, I carried a S.B. sign on election day down in Mass. for 2 hrs in morning stood in a snowstorm, and another 2 hrs during evening polling hrs. Nobody from the S.B. campaign hdqtrs asked me to do this, I just did it ! I felt compelled to support this effort. I was absolutely amased to see people arrive to support me and take shifts throughout the day carrying the few signs I had brought with me. Interestingly, Coakley supporters coming to the Polls were holding up one finger to me, and I don't think they were telling me I was number #1

Change can happen, and hopefully not the type of change happening in Washngton D.C. By the time they're done down there, the only change that group will leave us, will be the 'change' in out pockets !

BD

Last edited by bigdog; 02-11-2010 at 04:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-11-2010, 06:32 PM   #36
Rattlesnake Guy

Default It just doesn't add up.

If you get a job for $10 / hour and work all year and the state "gives" you a $4000 exclusion, at 5% you will have to pay $840/year to Concord. They are not going to pay your property tax for you so I am confused how this is going to save you money.
Old 02-11-2010, 08:05 PM   #37
Pineedles

Default Promises to Keep

Apologies to Robert Frost.

Welcome to New Hampshire! I have no requirements for your residency. Enjoy your freedom in the best place in the world. I am jealous. I know my spouse will never agree to move to NH. But as I said in my vows, for better for worse, for............... and I meant it, no matter the consequences. It must be something in our DNA that draws us to this land.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:03 PM   #38
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default Wish we had a thanks button here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
Apologies to Robert Frost.

Welcome to New Hampshire! I have no requirements for your residency. Enjoy your freedom in the best place in the world. I am jealous. I know my spouse will never agree to move to NH. But as I said in my vows, for better for worse, for............... and I meant it, no matter the consequences. It must be something in our DNA that draws us to this land.
Well Said!
Frost would be proud...

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there's some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Robert Frost

Simple fact is... we are all drawn here because it is the best place in the world. I'm glad the "natives" seem to be mostly friendly.

Tax arguements are kind of fun, when you know it's safe to have them, and still respect the other posters.
Old 02-12-2010, 05:59 AM   #39
ApS

Wink Two Roads Diverge for NH Taxpayers...

Robert Frost even pined for New Hampshire when living next door!

Writing...

Quote:
"Well, if I have to choose one or the other,
I choose to be a plain New Hampshire farmer

It's restful to arrive at a decision,
And restful just to think about New Hampshire.

At present I am living in Vermont"
—Robert Frost
(Until looking up the above quote, I had no idea what Robert Frost thought of "The glorious bards of Massachusetts...").

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Guy View Post
Welcome to the State and the Website Anton...Now that you live in New Hampshire you are more likely to wear your seat belt even though you don't have to. Nice how that works.
Dittoes.

NH currently has the lowest traffic-fatality rate in the U.S.: it's motorcycle behavior that determines this state's position in that statistic.

Well...maybe bumpy roads, too.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 07:37 AM   #40
Hshag

You found yourself a good spot. My wife and I live just up the street at Waukewan Village. We love the location. Best of all it’s just a minute to Karen and Barry’s and Famous Pizza. Don’t forget to get yourself a dump "sticka" for only 20 bucks.
Welcome, we'll toot on our way to town.
Hshag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 09:39 AM   #41
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

BigDog...for governor
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:53 AM   #42
jmen24

A revolution is great "idea", but in reality it does not work as we would like it. Until we can vote for every seat at the same time, we will continue the cycle of voting in good hearted people only to have their views and plans altered by existing politicians. This will never change, government has created this system to protect themselves from us, the voting taxpayer.
jmen24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 01:03 PM   #43
Happy Gourmand

Default I don't agree..

It CAN work, it's called term limits. If the lawmakers won't give it to us, then we can just do it ourselves and NOT vote for any legislator for more than 2 terms regardless of party. Term limits were instituted for the President in the mid 40's, I believe. They shouldn't have stopped there and should institute them for all of Congress. There should be no room for "lifers" who hold and give out IOU's for their votes on bills for which they nor their constituants have any interest.
I think term limits would eliminate a great deal of this type of politicking so that laws could be voted on based on their merit rather than the way they are now...earmarks and favors and IOU's
As an Independent, I have taken a personal pledge to not vote for any local, state or federal office, the seeker of which is running for a 3rd term....regardless of party.
Oh, and while we're at it, let's give the President back the LINE ITEM VETO so he/she can just strike out those earmarks and amendments to bills that cost us billions every year.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:25 PM   #44
jmen24

Quote:
It CAN work, it's called term limits. If the lawmakers won't give it to us, then we can just do it ourselves and NOT vote for any legislator for more than 2 terms regardless of party. Term limits were instituted for the President in the mid 40's, I believe. They shouldn't have stopped there and should institute them for all of Congress. There should be no room for "lifers" who hold and give out IOU's for their votes on bills for which they nor their constituants have any interest.
I think term limits would eliminate a great deal of this type of politicking so that laws could be voted on based on their merit rather than the way they are now...earmarks and favors and IOU's
As an Independent, I have taken a personal pledge to not vote for any local, state or federal office, the seeker of which is running for a 3rd term....regardless of party.
Oh, and while we're at it, let's give the President back the LINE ITEM VETO so he/she can just strike out those earmarks and amendments to bills that cost us billions every year.
Phantom, I agree that that would help, but in reality, who gets to vote for making the change to term limits. The government will never allow itself to lose that much control on the process. I truely would love for a revolution to happen, but unless the vote can be passed directly to the citizens on a ballot, it will likely never come to be. It is right up there with a year without a pay increase and the Easter Bunny showing up for dinner.

The human phyche is one that is based on comfort and recognition. Most people vote for a candidate for the sole reason that they recognize a name or he belongs to the same group as they. They have no idea what that person has done or is going to do. That is the fatal flaw in the general population that the government and politicians feeds upon. Look at all the people that are following Palin around like she is going to lead us to the promise land. I am far more conservative than liberal, but remain independant, so that I can choose based upon my own opinions rather than party affiliation, most folks do not operate this way. I have the opportunity to enter many peoples homes and talk with them on a more even field based on my line of work. You would not believe the number of folks (on either side) that have signs on their lawns, have not even heard what the other side has to say and they don't want too!

Phantom, I applaud you on your voting practice, you are truely helping to make things better, but an independant voter is very much in the minority when it comes to actually voting like one. I hope I am wrong, but history tells me that will not be the case.

Last edited by jmen24; 02-12-2010 at 01:40 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 02-12-2010, 01:28 PM   #45
SIKSUKR

Default Home Run

The Phantom has hit the perverbial Congressmen right out of Washington! There is nothing that would straighten out the evils of politicians like term limits. Nothing.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:39 PM   #46
Happy Gourmand

Default jmen

I agree....Congress will never agree to term limits for themselves.
My point is that we, as citizens, can impose term limits by NOT voting for ANY imcumbent who is seeking a 3rd term.
This would go a loooonnnnggggg ways to eliminating the Good Ol' Boys Clubs in Washington and all the way down to the local level.
If they don't want to do it, we will do it for them!
Old 02-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #47
jmen24

Quote:
I agree....Congress will never agree to term limits for themselves.
My point is that we, as citizens, can impose term limits by NOT voting for ANY imcumbent who is seeking a 3rd term.
This would go a loooonnnnggggg ways to eliminating the Good Ol' Boys Clubs in Washington and all the way down to the local level.
If they don't want to do it, we will do it for them!
I am with you on that! Hopefully more will follow suit.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:03 PM   #48
Rattlesnake Guy

The logical place for us to exercise our imposed term limit is during the primary. That way we can have a reasonable choice in the general election.

Half joking, but what if we had a handicap system so the 3rd term guy had to spot the new guy 10 points.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:05 PM   #49
Hshag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hshag View Post
You found yourself a good spot. My wife and I live just up the street at Waukewan Village. We love the location. Best of all it’s just a minute to Karen and Barry’s and Famous Pizza. Don’t forget to get yourself a dump "sticka" for only 20 bucks.
Welcome, we'll toot on our way to town.
Sorry wrong thread
Hshag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 08:49 AM   #50
RailroadJoe

I agree with SAMIAM BIGDOG for Governor and then PRES.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 10:28 AM   #51
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Ethics bill

Not only do I believe in imposing a term limit. I also believe in imposing the ethics bill in both State and federal level. I work in defense electronics for over 30 years. I had to adhere to strict ethics standards and for good reasons. To protect the American taxpayers, the ultimate customer. Yet, our representatives can not practice what they preach.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #52
HomeWood

Good for you! I'll be joining you in about 18 years.
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote