Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2010, 07:35 AM   #1
DMAX

Default What would you do

I'm in Delings Cove yesterday around 2:00 in the afternoon rafted up to some friends, when this older looking couple in what looked like a 17 Grady White with a blue bimini decides to come in and do a u-turn half way on plane twenty feet off our bow's . He did'nt even look at us. So needless to say we let him know we were not very happy about what he just did. He rocked us pretty good but no damage. No bow numbers on this boat either, and by the time the boats settled down enough to untie and chase him he was gone. I've been told some of the home owners that live in the coves may not like you to hang out in what they think is their cove, and may try things like this to let you know your not wanted. If this is the case its only May, so they better bring a lunch.
DMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:03 AM   #2
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts

That's really unfortunate and a boneheaded move for sure, but I doubt it was a local landowner. Most of the people on the lake (landowners) are pretty respectful and would not do what you mentioned.

I would chaulk this up to sheer stupidity by the Captain of the vessel and forget about it. Next time if it ever happens again call Marine Patrol immediately.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:28 AM   #3
XCR-700

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAX View Post
by the time the boats settled down enough to untie and chase him he was gone.
Hummm, unfortunate for sure, but I dont think I would be chasing anyone down over that. Maybe if there was an actual hit and run or something to that effect, and you really wanted to make sure they were held accountable, but not this.

I agree with Dan, call the MP and dont let it wreck your day.

Chasing him down could lead to worst things,,, and may even impact others if you two are racing across the lake in some chase.
XCR-700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 08:44 AM   #4
DMAX

Well , more like follow till the M.P. caught up with us. Without bow numbers he would be pretty hard to find. Thanks or the advice though.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:02 AM   #5
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts

Quote:
Well , more like follow till the M.P. caught up with us. Without bow numbers he would be pretty hard to find. Thanks or the advice though.
This person riding around without bow numbers on his boat is obviously not quite right and is just waiting to get pulled over by Marine Patrol. I think the fact he is riding around without bow numbers speaks loudly! I think it may also say that this is most likely just one of the few boneheads on the water and hopefully your experience was just a one time occurrence.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2010, 09:25 AM   #6
DMAX

You had to be there, that was definitely a first. O well life goes on. Even with that , you could'nt beat the weather what a day sunday was hopefully many more to come. Keeping fingers crossed for the long weekend.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:39 AM   #7
jrc

On the off chance that this is an intentional harassment, next time bring a camera, best would be a video with zoom.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 02:41 PM   #8
OCDACTIVE

Default coast guard documented?

Not condoning this action at all what so ever, however if a boat does not have bow numbers it doesn't mean they are violating NH law.

The boat could be coast guard documented and only needs to display the colored square on the side of the boat.

Based on this guys boneheaded actions, he doesn't sound like someone who is up on coast guard and NH law so I would be this isn't the case, however I thought I would throw that out there.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:41 PM   #9
ApS

Quote:
"...You had to be there, that was definitely a first..."
I know EXACTLY what you mean.

Next time, keep a portable air horn handy.

Five quick blasts is the correct signal—then get your friends to do the same.
ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:23 PM   #10
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
Not condoning this action at all what so ever, however if a boat does not have bow numbers it doesn't mean they are violating NH law.

The boat could be coast guard documented and only needs to display the colored square on the side of the boat.

I doubt a 17 foot Grady would make the 5 net tonnage (hull volume, not displacememt) requirement for vessel documentation. My 25 footer just barely meets the requirement.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:31 PM   #11
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I doubt a 17 foot Grady would make the 5 net tonnage (hull volume, not displacememt) requirement for vessel documentation. My 25 footer just barely meets the requirement.
not splitting hairs but he said "what looked like a 17 foot"

I am not sure if they would meet the standards but aren't they pretty heavy for that type of boat? I honesly don't know. Was just speculating.

But by their actions I highly doubt they are that involved in boating to be CG Documented and act like that.

I would belive more so that it was a new boat, being this time of year, with someone running it for the first time to their dock to put their numbers on. Also it wouldn't surprise me if it were property owners trying to set a precident for the season. I am on the lake front and never ever act in that manner but I sure have seen it happen when property owners are trying to make it difficult for rafters.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:56 AM   #12
DC Pointer

I live in Dellings Cove (Springfield Point side) and saw you folks out there most of the afternoon minding your own business, not bothering anyone. I do not know where you heard that 'unwanted' sentiment, but there is all kinds of activity going on in the cove year round. Most everyone is respectful of eachother and there is never an issue. I am willing to bet this person who pulled that bonehead move on you does not live in the cove. I will keep an eye out for a 17 foot GW with blue top...
DC Pointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 01:55 PM   #13
Grady223

Talking

Quote:
I'm in Delings Cove yesterday around 2:00 in the afternoon rafted up to some friends, when this older looking couple in what looked like a 17 Grady White with a blue bimini decides to come in and do a u-turn half way on plane twenty feet off our bow's . He did'nt even look at us. So needless to say we let him know we were not very happy about what he just did. He rocked us pretty good but no damage. No bow numbers on this boat either, and by the time the boats settled down enough to untie and chase him he was gone. I've been told some of the home owners that live in the coves may not like you to hang out in what they think is their cove, and may try things like this to let you know your not wanted. If this is the case its only May, so they better bring a lunch.
Grady White does not make a 17' boat, 18' is the smallest - you must have misread your tape measure. They all have blue canvas, so you got that right!
Grady223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 06:02 PM   #14
NightWing

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post

Based on this guys boneheaded actions, he doesn't sound like someone who is up on coast guard and NH law so I would be this isn't the case, however I thought I would throw that out there.
I believe the CG documented vessel also needs to display the vessel name and hailing port on the sides or transom.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:12 AM   #15
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWing View Post
I believe the CG documented vessel also needs to display the vessel name and hailing port on the sides or transom.
I normally have seen them on transom.

And from what I have "heard" not sure on this, but I hear that NH is one of the only states that also requires to register in the state and display the square sticker.

From what I heard, most other states do not require a state registration if coast guard documented.

Maybe someone can confirm this.

If that is true it is a shame because it could keep more boats from wanting travel here.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:43 AM   #16
jrc

If you document the boat with the Coast Guard you cannot have state numbers and you must have the boat name and hailing port on the stern. (maybe the sides at the stern is acceptable)

Many states still want their tax money, so you still have to register the boat according to state laws. And you usually have to display the sticker confirming you paid the registration. If you go out on Winni with no sticker (or the wrong color) you risk the MP stopping you.

Most small open boats are too small to be documented. You need a certain amount of enclosed volume. There really isnt a reason to document unless you lender or insurance company demands it. Or you really hate bow numbers.

I doubt a 17 or 18' foot GW is big enough to document. Could be the numbers were just in a bad spot for visibility or in a color with not enough contrast. I saw a boat launching at Meredith once with navy blue numbers on a black hull, very hard to see. I bet yellow numbers on a white hull would be bad as well, but thats just asking to be stopped.
The Following User Says Thank You to jrc For This Useful Post:
OCDACTIVE (05-26-2010)
Old 05-26-2010, 10:38 AM   #17
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
Could be the numbers were just in a bad spot for visibility or in a color with not enough contrast. I saw a boat launching at Meredith once with navy blue numbers on a black hull, very hard to see. I bet yellow numbers on a white hull would be bad as well, but thats just asking to be stopped.
Quite often this is the case. I know my numbers are not in the best visible location. However they are there and are visible. I commented on there location to the marina when I picked the boat up, and the owner told me if I had a problem with the Marine Patrol, he would remedy the situation. 4 years later and a conversation with the MP later no issues. The first year I had the Boat, I talked to a MP officer while he was tied up, and he came over and took a look. He agreed it wasn't the best of situations... however he also agreed there was no better legally defined place to put them on the boat....

Sometimes do to contouring etc, the numbers have to go in spots that aren't totally stand out visible. I do however wish they would change the laws to make it standard the the Bow Numbers must be of contrasting color, black on white etc.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:57 AM   #18
robmac

Oh no please no more new laws. I for one now keep a camera on the boat to capture photos of the boneheads.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:33 AM   #19
jrc

We already have that law:

270-E:8 Display of Numbers Required. –
II. The owner shall paint on, attach or otherwise display to each side of the forward half of the vessel the numbers assigned by the department not less than 3 inches in height, with block letters of contrasting color, and they shall be clearly readable when the vessel is being operated. ...
Old 05-26-2010, 11:36 AM   #20
OCDACTIVE

Quote:

II. The owner shall paint on, attach or otherwise display to each side of the forward half of the vessel the numbers assigned by the department not less than 3 inches in height, with block letters of contrasting color, and they shall be clearly readable when the vessel is being operated. ...
define: contrasting colors and clearly readable... It is too vague and up to the opinion of the MP / Owner...

Lets write more laws! (insert sarcastic comment here! )
Old 05-26-2010, 11:54 AM   #21
robmac

mmmmm clearly readable while vessel is being operated,well at 150' @ 45mph I hope they have pretty good eyes.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:34 PM   #22
onlywinni

Summer of 2008 my inlaws had a not so nice experience in the same location. They are in their 70s and were achored in the Cove for a few hours. He tells me at least 300 feet of shore-he has Captained a boat on Winni since he was 7 so I will trust his judgement.

They were Told to leave by several residents who came out on boats and they would not-being former Wolfeboro Lake Front Property Owners they nicely told them to enjoy their day and the lake is for everyone. Then they had 4 row boats and kayacks circling their boat for an hour before he decided he had had enough and left.

My inlaws dont have a Performance Boat they have whisper quiet very nice 24foot cuddy.

I have learned over the last decade on Winni you meet some great folks and you also meet some not so great ones too...

The the original poster...glad you were ok.
Old 05-26-2010, 12:53 PM   #23
LIforrelaxin

Quote:

Thanks jrc, Didn't know know that wording was already there.....
Old 05-26-2010, 01:10 PM   #24
LIforrelaxin

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlywinni View Post
Summer of 2008 my inlaws had a not so nice experience in the same location. They are in their 70s and were achored in the Cove for a few hours. He tells me at least 300 feet of shore-he has Captained a boat on Winni since he was 7 so I will trust his judgement.

They were Told to leave by several residents who came out on boats and they would not-being former Wolfeboro Lake Front Property Owners they nicely told them to enjoy their day and the lake is for everyone. Then they had 4 row boats and kayacks circling their boat for an hour before he decided he had had enough and left.

My inlaws dont have a Performance Boat they have whisper quiet very nice 24foot cuddy.

I have learned over the last decade on Winni you meet some great folks and you also meet some not so great ones too...

OnlyWinni, it sounds like your inlaws did the right thing, they new they where in the right, and stood their ground, however left when it became obvious that they where not going to be left alone. The only other thing one can do in a situation like this is call the Marine Patrol. However that at times that can do more trouble then good.

I often have boat floating 400' or so offshore infront of my place for 30 or 40 mins... Sometimes they are looking at the Ossippee mounts.... Sometime, I think Mother Nature has called for someone aboard, which then turns into lunch.... and of course sometimes I think it is for other unmentionable things that can happen below deck. The bottom line is in 25 years I think only once has this caused a problem.... Unfortunately the person's taste in Music and mine didn't clash, so I turned up my stereo, he turned down his, and I turned down mine.... My point is this:

As a lake shore property owner, we have to accept that people can use the lake outside our house. Just like the neighbor who lives next door that might have a barking dog, sometime you might have to have a conversation to resolve an issue. But as long as your civilized about it, most people are civil in return. I personally interact with people in canoes, and kayaks, and fisherman as they pass by. Sometimes it is just to say hello other times it is a conversation.... Occasionally you even get to see the big catch of the day.... People just need to be friendly and talk more, it goes a long way. But before that, people that own on the water need to remember our lake front is everyone's playground.
chipj29 (05-26-2010), OCDACTIVE (05-26-2010), onlywinni (05-26-2010), VtSteve (05-27-2010)
Old 05-26-2010, 02:24 PM   #25
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlywinni View Post

I hope someone tries that with me sometime. I would have a great time blasting them relentlessly with my raw water washdown system. It runs at 45 psi now, but this makes me want to add a booster pump...
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote