Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Automotive
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-24-2016, 04:57 PM   #1
Sunbeam lodge

Default Jeep sparkplug replacement

What would it cost to replace the spark plugs on a 2014 Jeep grand cherokee with 70000 miles on it. the jeep dealership checked the codes and they did not show up as a fault. The problem is that the jeep stutters at a steady speed but the dealer wants a fortune to change the plugs with no guarantee that that is the problem.
Sunbeam lodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:10 PM   #2
fatlazyless

Can't you just go to either a NAPA store, or to a Jeep dealer parts dept, and purchase the spark plugs for about 4-dollars each. Seems like they will look up the correct plug for your car model.

Another method is to remove one plug, and bring it to the NAPA or the Jeep dealer to be certain you are getting the correct plugs.

Do spark plugs still need to have the electrode gapped? Probably, either NAPA or the Jeep dealer will gap the plugs....no problemo.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:36 PM   #3
noreast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbeam lodge View Post
What would it cost to replace the spark plugs on a 2014 Jeep grand cherokee with 70000 miles on it. the jeep dealership checked the codes and they did not show up as a fault. The problem is that the jeep stutters at a steady speed but the dealer wants a fortune to change the plugs with no guarantee that that is the problem.
Boy, some things never change.2014 already acting up? I've had many jeeps and many problems. I do love em though.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 06:07 AM   #4
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
My OBD sensor will record misfiring if a plug act up. I usually get 90,000 miles on platinum plugs on my 2001 Jeep Cherokee Limited. Never had problems mechanically but the body is taking its toll.

I got 30,000 on the original plugs, changed to platinum and it started to misfire at 120K. Replaced with iridium and I'm still on the plugs at 167K
Old 08-25-2016, 06:49 AM   #5
8gv

Today's spark plugs last so long that I wonder if they will bring cylinder threads with them when finally removed.

To that end, I replaced the plugs in my Forester at 60k.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2016, 07:25 AM   #6
Rusty

Quote:
When was the last time the Jeep had a complete tuneup?
Old 08-25-2016, 07:46 AM   #7
ITD

Which engine is it? The Hemi's have 2 per cylinder. My 2008 had regular plugs that needed to be replaced every 30k. It's not a difficult job to do yourself, look up youtube videos for step by step. You need a socket, extension, spark plug socket, a swivel joint, possibly another extension and a socket for to remove the coils. Buy a gap tool to check the gaps, but they are usually correct out of the box. $20 to $30 worth of tools and a few hours of your time can save a lot of money. Plugs are a good place to start with issues like you are having. Also if you have a hemi, change the PCV valve, I went for a year going to 2 dealers and my regular mechanic trying to fix a check engine light issue that was being caused by the PCV valve.

Last edited by ITD; 08-25-2016 at 05:49 PM.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2016, 07:59 AM   #8
AC2717

its not one of the ignition coils that sits ontop of the spark plugs?
it is very rare for a spark plug to be fouled in a newer type engine, as stated up above plugs in todays engines rarely have an issue. I could see a coil going causing a misfire, which would register as a bad plug
is there a specific cylinder that is coding?
until you get a specific code you are kinda shooting blind
Change the spark plugs on the off chance that is it, but I would be willing to bet it is an ignition coil
Old 08-25-2016, 11:26 AM   #9
dpg

Buy a Honda next time.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote