Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2019, 01:02 PM   #1
ApS

Exclamation Boating Advisory on Winter Harbor...

Along this shore, we have maybe 3 or 4 regular swimmers.

One stranger has come by in the past week apparently determined to live a death wish. My neighbor tells me he swims a sharp turn in front of his place, and swims the ¾ mile across Winter Harbor! There's no accompanying boat.

He can be identified by a white float that he drags behind his back. It's about the size of a loaf of bread—or a sea gull...

That's all you can see. The NHMP hasn't been seen for a couple of weeks here, so perhaps boaters who see this swimmer would advise him accordingly.

Winter Harbor is still being used as a race course for ocean-racers, Scarabs, Fountains, Baja and Donzi—and seeing especially "heavy use" since Thursday.
DotRat (09-02-2019)
Old 09-01-2019, 02:25 PM   #2
fatlazyless

As far as I know, these swimmer's tow along floats usually come in bright yellow, orange, and pink. Have never seen one in white, so could be a white Clorox bottle, home made, tow along float? Have seen that using a two gal, plastic Clorox bottle.

The tow behind floats cost about $30.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:10 AM   #3
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Along this shore, we have maybe 3 or 4 regular swimmers.

One stranger has come by in the past week apparently determined to live a death wish. My neighbor tells me he swims a sharp turn in front of his place, and swims the ¾ mile across Winter Harbor! There's no accompanying boat.

He can be identified by a white float that he drags behind his back. It's about the size of a loaf of bread—or a sea gull...

That's all you can see. The NHMP hasn't been seen for a couple of weeks here, so perhaps boaters who see this swimmer would advise him accordingly.

Winter Harbor is still being used as a race course for ocean-racers, Scarabs, Fountains, Baja and Donzi—and seeing especially "heavy use" since Thursday.
I would put this guy in the same category as people who stay home while a category 5 hurricane is coming. "You are at your own risk". Good luck.
Cal Coon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:32 AM   #4
rsmlp

Default attentive captain

I mean it's kind of hard to miss a swimmer dragging a float using any degree of attentiveness. You don't drive towards loons do you?
rsmlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 11:41 AM   #5
camp guy

Default Boating advisory on Winter Harbor

True, swimming unattended in a large, open area is probably not advisable, BUT, that wasn't the point of the OP by ApS.

As I see it, the point was, nothing more-nothing less: Be advised that there is a swimmer (or more) in the open area of Winter Harbor and may not be highly visible to boaters.

I lived and boated in Winter Harbor for many years, and I can tell you without a doubt many, many boaters are NOT attentive to what they are doing while driving their boat.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links