Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2011, 08:33 AM   #1
ishoot308

Thanked 4,937 Times in 1,913 Posts
Default Don't Forget Pop's!!

We took a boat ride to Pop's yesterday for our annual seafood extravaganza! In one word... AWESOME!! What you see below is their seafood platter which easily feeds three hungry people and obviously a lobster roll plate. The lobster roll was one of the best I have had in a long time!

Anyone hungry?...
Attached Images

ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
GsChinadoll (05-08-2011)
Old 05-08-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
Rusty

A picture is worth a thousand words

Wow!!! Look at those whole belly clams, scallops, shrimp and more!

The lobster meat really fills that roll...I've never seen one that full of meat.

Thanks for posting the pictures...can't wait to go there!
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:42 PM   #3
Winnigirl83

Just out of curiosity, what were the prices?
Winnigirl83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 04:50 PM   #4
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnigirl83 View Post
Just out of curiosity, what were the prices?
I believe the seafood platter is $24.00 + or - (remember it feeds three!!) and the lobster roll plate was $13.00 + or -

Dan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
Rusty (05-08-2011), Winnigirl83 (05-08-2011)
Old 05-08-2011, 06:33 PM   #5
Flylady

Default Thanks for the images

One more thing to add to my list for my first trip back to the lake
Flylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2011, 06:37 AM   #6
jkjoshuatree

Wink I'm Hungry Now!

In 38 years at the lake (I'm in Meredith) I've tried almost all of the restaurants around Winni (seen many come and go too) but I've never tried this one.

Looks like I have a new destination this summer.

I don't eat fried food but I think I may have to make an exception for Pop's.

Great pics!!
Old 05-09-2011, 07:04 AM   #7
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

That does look good Dan!

We make at least a once a year stop while out on the bike and eat on the upper deck, avoiding the day prior to having blood drawn for the cholesterol test.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 07:44 AM   #8
gslpro

Default Thumbs up for Pop's

When we used to slip down in Alton Bay, Pop's was a frequent favorite of ours. The clams tasted like you were much closer to the ocean instead of a lake. Really good fresh-tasting seafood. Will definitely be taking the boat down to Alton get a nice plate of clams.

Gary and Diane
290 Fiesta Vee "Nauti Bonnie"
gslpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 08:10 AM   #9
jrc

We love Pop's!

Be careful, it is real easy to order too much food. The little paper boats they show as serving sizes are deceiving, expect them to be heaping and overflowing when you get them.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 11:49 AM   #10
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
That does look good Dan!

We make at least a once a year stop while out on the bike and eat on the upper deck, avoiding the day prior to having blood drawn for the cholesterol test.
You know Slickcraft, there is something about the way Pop's fries his food where it just is not greasy. My wife who was in the restaurant business says the same thing. This is definitely not greasy seafood.

Dan
Old 05-09-2011, 05:47 PM   #11
Rattlesnake Guy

We love to go to Pops by boat at the public dock 200 feet away. Take our food back to the boat and float around the bay while enjoying the great food.

Be warned though. Pops has to be one of the least impressive places to look at. It has a lot of character and obviously Pop spends his focus on the food.

Also enjoy sitting in the upper deck seating area. We have done this a few times during motorcycle weekend and watch the bikes roar by.
Rattlesnake Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:21 PM   #12
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Only caution I would give...

Pops is cash only...no checks or credit cards.

This is a small inconvenience for the great food and portions you get there.

Welcome back for 2011, Pops!

PS: ditto on getting the food and then back to the boat. We do that often for the Sat. night concerts at the bay. Umm Umm Good
Old 05-10-2011, 05:38 AM   #13
pops

Hi

We will take instate checks as payment.And out of state if I Know you. We also have an ATM in our dinning room. I know alot of people do not carry alot of cash anymore but the credit card processor gets 3-5% of the gross and thats alot when profit margins are getting smaller and smaller.

Also...Thank you to ishoot308 for posting the photos. They look awsome! Would you mind if I posted them on Pop's Face Book page?

See you all this summer.

Pop's
pops is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pops For This Useful Post:
Flylady (05-10-2011), gslpro (05-10-2011), Rattlesnake Guy (05-10-2011), Ropetow (05-23-2011), Sunset Bob (05-10-2011), upthesaukee (05-10-2011), winnisummergal (05-10-2011)
Old 05-10-2011, 07:45 AM   #14
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by pops View Post
Hi

We will take instate checks as payment.And out of state if I Know you. We also have an ATM in our dinning room. I know alot of people do not carry alot of cash anymore but the credit card processor gets 3-5% of the gross and thats alot when profit margins are getting smaller and smaller.

Also...Thank you to ishoot308 for posting the photos. They look awsome! Would you mind if I posted them on Pop's Face Book page?

See you all this summer.

Pop's
You are welcome and feel free to use the pictures!! If you want higher resolution photos send me your email address by P.M. and I will send them to you.

Thanks for the great meal!!

Dan
Old 05-13-2011, 08:21 PM   #15
Waterbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjoshuatree View Post
In 38 years at the lake (I'm in Meredith) I've tried almost all of the restaurants around Winni (seen many come and go too) but I've never tried this one.

Looks like I have a new destination this summer.

I don't eat fried food but I think I may have to make an exception for Pop's.

Great pics!!
You can always kind of scrape off the batter, Jay - at least on the scallops and shrimp.............. Fried clams really need the batter coating! I usually do that with fish and chips, the seafood inside is great and tender!
jkjoshuatree (05-13-2011)
Old 05-13-2011, 08:25 PM   #16
Waterbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
We took a boat ride to Pop's yesterday for our annual seafood extravaganza! In one word... AWESOME!! What you see below is their seafood platter which easily feeds three hungry people and obviously a lobster roll plate. The lobster roll was one of the best I have had in a long time!

Anyone hungry?...
What kind of camera are you using? Resolution is awesome, and I'm in the market for a new digital. I don't use a camera phone, I have my old cell phone that's about 9 years old now -- does what I need it to do, which is make and receive calls, so am hoping you aren't going to say a camera phone, lol. Thanks in advance!
Old 05-14-2011, 07:54 AM   #17
ishoot308

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbaby View Post
What kind of camera are you using? Resolution is awesome, and I'm in the market for a new digital. I don't use a camera phone, I have my old cell phone that's about 9 years old now -- does what I need it to do, which is make and receive calls, so am hoping you aren't going to say a camera phone, lol. Thanks in advance!
I have a couple cameras but the one I used for this shot is a simple point and shoot Nikon "Cool Pix" camera. It's been just a great camera as it's small enough to put in your shirt pocket, has good battery life and 7 mega-pixels of resolution. The newer Cool Pix have 9 mega-pixels! I would buy another in a heart beat!

Dan
Old 05-14-2011, 11:40 AM   #18
John A. Birdsall

Default Pops

As a teenager (a couple of summers ago) I used to take the Puddy tat to the bay on Sundays and get me a clam plate at Pops. I don't recall the cost but about 6.95. They were great then I would head back to the cottage and ave a roast beef dinner. or maybe a Turkey dinner. I must have done a lot of exercising back then cause I could never do that now.
John A. Birdsall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 12:06 PM   #19
Argie's Wife

Thumbs up

Ate at Pop's last night - it had been a while since we've been. As we were looking over the menu we had someone in front of us - he had to squish the youngest kiddo against the ordering counter to get ahead of us, causing the kid to bump his head - I was almost in mama bear mode over that one... the gal at the counter was responsive - nice staff and good service there.

The oldest Arglet had chicken fingers and the youngest Arglet had a hot dog. The kids' meals come in a frisbee. The food was ready fairly quickly - not a long wait at all.

Both boys pretty much cleaned their plates (frisbees) - with the exception of a few fries. I had a cheeseburger & fry plate, with a side of onion rings - the rings are excellent! YUM!

(Note to self: do not sit on the upper deck of the dining area again after kids are given frisbees.)
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
trfour (05-14-2011)
Old 05-14-2011, 06:48 PM   #20
Donna44

were is Pop's new to area
Donna44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:26 PM   #21
Slickcraft

West side of southern tip of Alton Bay, across the street from Mt. Washington landing. Not much on looks, but great food. No better place to get your fried clam fix.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:01 PM   #22
ghfromaltonbay

Default Worth the wait!

It's on Rte. 11 in Alton Bay across the road from the Community Center, almost at the southern tip of the lake.

Ordered a shrimp plate to go for my Sunday dinner. There is more than enough for tomorrow as well. I counted 49 baby shrimp and these came with a heap of fries and enough cole slaw for 3 people. Yummy and worth the wait since last summer.
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:45 AM   #23
Steveo

Default Pop's closing time

Tried to order clam dinner Saturday night as payoff for son-in-law helping me get boat back in the water. Called Pop's at 7:30 since I knew they closed at 8pm. They said they closed early due to being so slow. Thought all the fishermen would have kept it busy. Highly disappointed son-in-law who had to settle for hamburgers.
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:25 PM   #24
upthesaukee

Default Saturday evening

I can tell you that we played golf late Saturday afternoon into the evening, and it was some kind of cold with the dampness and wind picking up. We ended up stopping at JP China and saw no one sitting outside, and when we left, we went out RT 11 towards Gilford. The only activity in the bay were cars parked at Shibleys at the Pier. No one at the ice cream stand. No one parked in the bay. At this time of year, I can understand the closing early. It certainly was not conducive to eating outside or even sitting in the car.

I can also understand wishing to repay son-in-law with food from Pop's. I am reminded of what my Dad used to tell me:"I'd rather owe it to you than cheat you out of it!" Hopefully he wil be back up later in the year with good weather, and can get his Pop's reward.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:20 PM   #25
Happy Gourmand

Default Pop's rocks

All this Pop's talk and that picture is making me hungry...I'll be off to Woodman's in Litchfield for dinner....it ain't Pop's, but it's not too bad. My second favorite place up there for fried seafood is Kevin's....I wonder if he'll have the All you Cat Eat fried clams this year.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #26
pops

Default Sorry Steveo

We closed around 7:15. It was very slow for a Saturday. Understandable though. It was very cold and wet. Sometimes it gets to the point when the business is losing money pretty quickly when it's that slow. I hope we can make it up to you.
Thank You.
Pop's
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pops For This Useful Post:
jkjoshuatree (05-16-2011), Rattlesnake Guy (05-16-2011), Steveo (05-18-2011), upthesaukee (05-16-2011)
Old 05-16-2011, 09:26 PM   #27
ghfromaltonbay

Quote:
We closed around 7:15. It was very slow for a Saturday. Understandable though. It was very cold and wet. Sometimes it gets to the point when the business is losing money pretty quickly when it's that slow. I hope we can make it up to you.
Thank You.
Pop's
I was afraid of the same thing on Sunday (an early closing) so that's why I made the "executive decision" to have my dinner at 1 pm instead of 6 pm. Glad I did. There were only 2 customers while I was there and the whole area down by the bay looked deserted, but the baby shrimp were terrific and I had the leftovers today at noon before the 5 hour drive back to NJ. Can't wait for the return trip in 2 1/2 weeks!
ghfromaltonbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:48 AM   #28
Meredith lady

Default Pop's

i am going to Pop's this year-i have never been but the pictures look awesome-see you this summer, Pops!
Meredith lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:45 AM   #29
FormulaBRW

Default Kevins still running AYCE Fried Calms on Friday

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
All this Pop's talk and that picture is making me hungry...I'll be off to Woodman's in Litchfield for dinner....it ain't Pop's, but it's not too bad. My second favorite place up there for fried seafood is Kevin's....I wonder if he'll have the All you Cat Eat fried clams this year.
Just ate there last Friday the 13th. They are still running the AYCE fried clams and they sure were great. I finished two plates but my son ate 4 in total.

The wife had the fried shrimp and scallops and they were also yummy.

We had never tried Kevins before but will sure be vack again soon!!!!
FormulaBRW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FormulaBRW For This Useful Post:
Meredith lady (05-18-2011)
Old 05-18-2011, 11:55 AM   #30
Steveo

Quote:
Thank You.
Pop's
No Problem, as Upthesaukee says I will just owe my son-in-law one. Anyway the wife is coming up this weekend and has already demanded her first of the season clam dinners. I will just make sure to be there by 7
Steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steveo For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (05-18-2011)
Old 05-19-2011, 02:51 PM   #31
RANGER CANOE CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Across from the town docks on route 11 in Alton Bay.
Hey, thanks, went right by there last Saturday delivering a boat. Ill stop next time.......
Old 06-06-2011, 01:45 PM   #32
RailroadJoe

Stopped at Pop's today for lunch. Like Philadelphia, it was closed. So instead we drove up Route 11 to Sawyer's. I thought they only sold ice cream, but I found they have the biggest and best sea scallops around. We got the quart size, more like a gallon, of the sweetest scallops I've had in a while. Also the fried onion rings were excellent with a very light coating.
I found out that next month they will have steamers and lobsters also. Looks like Pop's is off my list and Sawyer's is in the number one spot.
Hold the steamers until after the fourth and I'll be there.
RailroadJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:31 PM   #33
RANGER CANOE CO

Thumbs up Pop's is tops

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER CANOE CO View Post
Ok, where's Pop's ?
Had a canoe demo at Kittery trading post last saturday. Came home threw Alton bay, just for POP"S. Pop's is Tops. Im hooked, so discount canoe deliverys to A-bay......... Thx's ishoot
Old 06-06-2011, 03:09 PM   #34
pops

Sorry we missed you RailroadJoe.
We open full time seven days a week on June 20th. Until then we are open Fri-Sun 11:30-close.
I was there though....That was me sealcoating my parking lot.

Pop's
The Following User Says Thank You to pops For This Useful Post:
Skip (06-06-2011)
Old 06-06-2011, 03:55 PM   #35
Skip

Default I'll be stopping by soon....

Quote:
Sorry we missed you RailroadJoe.
We open full time seven days a week on June 20th. Until then we are open Fri-Sun 11:30-close.
I was there though....That was me sealcoating my parking lot.

Pop's
I drive by your place all the time on my numerous commutes to Tilton from Dover. Unfortunately it's during the week, but you are definitely on my "suppah list" once you open full time.

Unfortunately I'll probably fall asleep at my meeting after getting a bellyfull of your clams & rings!
Skip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 05:33 PM   #36
upthesaukee

Default No Problem

Skip, no problem...we have a couple of extra bedrooms if you need one to sleep off a Pop's overload.

I had one the other day...catnapped in the chair for a couple of hour
Old 06-10-2011, 08:20 PM   #37
mg2107

Pops is the best!
mg2107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:07 PM   #38
Slickcraft

We just got back from our annual fried clam fix at Pop's. We ordered one clam plate and one medium onion ring side with an extra plate so my wife and I could split the order.
The clams and rings were excellent as always. So we ate clams and onion rings for some time, and took a rest watching the lake happenings from the upper deck. Then we worked on the clams and rings some more and almost were able to finish both. The fries, while very good, were pretty much untouched as we were quite full.
Next year we will order a medium side of clams and a small side of onion rings and extra plates omitting the fries.

OK homemade raspberry ice cream is next, the machine is running right now. I picked fresh raspberries at Smith's in Gilford this morning. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Smith-...d/212861950622
The jam is in the jars and the ice cream is almost ready.

All in all an enjoyable and no doubt very healthy dinner.
Old 07-11-2011, 07:08 PM   #39
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slickcraft View Post
[CENTER]We just got back from our annual fried clam fix at Pop's. We ordered one clam plate and one medium onion ring side ...
All in all an enjoyable and no doubt very healthy dinner.
You gotta be kidding.

Fried clams and fried onion rings "healthy?"

Dream on.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:22 PM   #40
upthesaukee

Default Saturday night at the bay

We took the long ride from Parker's to the bandstand to watch the concert. Got there just after 6, and went over to Pop's.

We were going to get the clam plate and a small onion ring, but deciding that it was the clams and rings we were really after, we got the medium side of clams and a small order of rings (they also have onion hearts). Back to the boat, set up the table, grab a cold soda out of the cooler (sorry for that, Pop's ), and sat back to eat. And eat. And eat.

Gotta love it. Thanks, Pop's.
Old 07-13-2011, 03:19 PM   #41
SIKSUKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. V View Post
You gotta be kidding.

Fried clams and fried onion rings "healthy?"

Dream on.
I figured it was tongue in cheek,hence the smiley.
Old 07-13-2011, 07:00 PM   #42
Slickcraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKSUKR View Post
I figured it was tongue in cheek,hence the smiley.
Right you are!
Old 07-17-2011, 05:45 AM   #43
ApS

Wink Don't Forget Pop's...

I haven't forgotten Pop's.
Attached Images

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ApS For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (07-18-2011)
Old 07-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #44
Jmo77011

Default So good!

We just got back from our first trip to Pop's, and it was good!! We (2 kids, a pregnant woman and a soldier) got a clam plate, a shrimp boat, an order of rings, and a kids meal...and brought home two stuffed take-out boxes for tomorrow! The portions were just huge, and it was sooo good!

The only (sort of) bummer, was that my husband wanted the fisherman's platter pictured at the top of the thread, but we didn't see it on the menu. We left with full bellys and will be back!
Jmo77011 is offline   Reply With Quote