Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-05-2004, 02:35 PM   #1
billhurley

Question Gas Prices

With the continued increase in gas prices is it worthwhile to keep each other posted on good gas prices on the lake?

It may have changed by now, but Fays was at $1.99 on saturday afternoon.
billhurley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 03:23 PM   #2
Tyler

Default Gas price

Pier 19 in Tuftonboro was $2.40 on Sunday. OUCH!
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 03:39 PM   #3
B R

Default Gas Prices

$1.95 at Lakeport last Saturday.
B R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 04:05 PM   #4
Bob M

Default Gas Prices

The price today at Channel Marine was $2.249.
Bob M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2004, 06:57 PM   #5
madrasahs

Default A good thing your engine doesn't run on water...

A 9 oz. bottle of Evian water will run you $1.49.

That works out to $21.19 per gallon.

madrasahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-06-2004, 11:19 AM   #6
kchace

The high price of gas does feel painful when gassing up, but its just a small part of my total budget. I will be HAPPY if I am able to get out enough that my fuel costs equal or exceed just my insurance costs ($220). I think I've already spent an equal amount (or more) just to get the boat ready to go.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 12:18 PM   #7
Zee

Default Gas rebate is important

With the high cost of gas on the Lake (and elsewhere), the $.18 refund is very important. When going through my receipts recently I noticed that Pier 19 is not providing total gallonage on their credit card receipts. This prevented me from sending in about six slips. Anyone else having this problem with any other marina on the lake? That's what I get for not looking at the slip when I got the gas. I just assumed it would include the gallonage. We all know what they say about assuming anything.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2004, 01:24 PM   #8
fpartri497

Default gas rebate is important

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zee
With the high cost of gas on the Lake (and elsewhere), the $.18 refund is very important. When going through my receipts recently I noticed that Pier 19 is not providing total gallonage on their credit card receipts. This prevented me from sending in about six slips. Anyone else having this problem with any other marina on the lake? That's what I get for not looking at the slip when I got the gas. I just assumed it would include the gallonage. We all know what they say about assuming anything.
two years ago the state sent my recipts back to me rejecting four of them because they were using an old credit card machine with the date being 1988. so the next summer (last) the first time i gassed up there i checked very carefully and disscovered sure enough same machine reading 1988, i went into the office and spoke to owner and had him change machine. thats in wolfboro at the gasdock by the backbay channel accros from the mounts dock. im glad your post has jogged my memorie, i will pay close attention this year when buying gas.
fpartri497 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 07:29 AM   #9
*Mike*

Default john

How are the prices at Downings landing in Alton Bay?
*Mike* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 10:43 AM   #10
Corsa

Default Lakeport Landing Prices

Wednesday Lakeport Landing was @ $2.02 per gallon.
Corsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 10:47 AM   #11
Stinger

Default Downings

Looked to me like the pumps said $2.39 at Downings Wednesday evening. OUCH!
Stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 04:16 PM   #12
Charlie T

Default Gas prices

I was just at Fays. $2.23 gal . I am going to fill up tomorrow before it goes up any more
Charlie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 06:27 PM   #13
fatlazyless

Default ...there's always sailing!

For about six hundred dollars you can usually find someone's old 14' fiberglass fixer-upper complete with a main and a gybe. Usually, they belong to someone from Moultonborough who got too old, too fat, too lazy, or has a bad back and the sailboat has sat out back, unused, and it's time to sell.

Let's see, which is more of an adrenillan rush; hanging on to the steering wheel inside an 8000lb, 550hp, 32' gofast doing 75mph in a straight line or keeping a 15', 200lb sailboat w/ two sails trimmed out in a 10mph breeze?
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 06:43 PM   #14
ITD

Default The answer is B

by far, a sail boat is much more exciting and challenging.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 09:32 PM   #15
Just Sold

Angry Gas Prices Going UP

In was at Fay's Wednesday and had just filled up when they came to raise the price to $2.23 9/10 . Glad I was already finished with a 70 gallon tank.

Boy, they were not to happy with Mobile and the reason they were given for the price increase. Look on the office door at the pumps for Mobile's "Excuse Card" to see why Fay's felt that Mobile could have kept the price down by not printing the card.

We all pay plenty for gas on the lake and I feel the prices should be closer to what we pay at the pumps for our cars and trucks. We are penalized for having a "recreational vehicle" ie a boat.

I know we a least can get our state tax back but that is not the point and by the way my boat is not a high speed gas hog - just a 22' cuddy w/a 260 hp V8.
Just Sold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 11:05 PM   #16
Mee-n-Mac

Default Gas prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold
I was at Fay's Wednesday and had just filled up when they came to raise the price to $2.23 9/10 . Glad I was already finished with a 70 gallon tank. {snip}
We all pay plenty for gas on the lake and I feel the prices should be closer to what we pay at the pumps for our cars and trucks. We are penalized for having a "recreational vehicle" ie a boat.
I know we a least can get our state tax back but that is not the point and by the way my boat is not a high speed gas hog - just a 22' cuddy w/a 260 hp V8.
While I'd like the dock price to be closer to the street price, I'm not holding my breath. It's basic supply vs demand and we're the "stuckees". Also I think dock gas is slightly higher octane (?91?) than regular unleaded, further segregating us from the masses. That said, remember 3 yrs ago when gas was also 'outrageous'. The dock price was pretty much the same as the street price. Except, of course, at Downings. I believe the suppliers know they can only get so much blood from the boaters.
Really what we need is a revolution/evolution in boat design to increase gas mileage. Disagreeing a bit with what you said above, all our boats are gas hogs. Think about boat MPG (blowboats excepted) vs car (even SUV) MPG. Yikes ! I still hope that, given the drop in electronics costs, a way to make deployable hydrofoils available to the mass market may happen. Perhaps prolonged "high" gas prices may spur some innovation ???
Old 05-15-2004, 07:02 AM   #17
madrasahs

Default Pay for gas -- OK. But pay for wind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac
"...all our boats are gas hogs. Think about boat MPG (blowboats excepted) vs car (even SUV) MPG.
What incentive is there for Winnipesaukee folks to take up fume-free boating when my family's 79 feet of sailboats are dunned over $100 every summer for NH registration? Why is New Hampshire's wind so expensive?

While $1.50 of that goes for "rescue costs", the rest of those dollars are spent to fix the problems of speed, pollution, alcohol, erosion, and inattention.

I'm doing what I can, but more gas hogs aren't the answer.
madrasahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 07:27 AM   #18
Merrymeeting

Another good reason you won't see marina prices equal to street prices is the lenght of the season. 5 months at best (mid-May to Mid-October) for most places in NH. But the taxes, infrastructure costs, and maintenance costs are full year.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 12:33 PM   #19
Gilligan

Arrow Got GAS? 89 octane and MtBE free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mee-n-Mac
While I'd like the dock price to be closer to the street price, I'm not holding my breath. It's basic supply vs demand and we're the "stuckees". Also I think dock gas is slightly higher octane (?91?) than regular unleaded, further segregating us from the masses.
Most marina boat gas on the Lake is 89 Octane so that makes it a grade higher than 87 octane regular unleaded. I also believe that most marinas truck their gas in from out-of-state so it is MtBE free adding more cost. I recall a discussion about that last year in the forum.

The street gas stations are usually open all year and do not occupy higher priced lake front property. Gas docks have to recover costs for all the months they are not open. So a few extra cents per gallon at the marina is justified.

Good thing I have a full tank of stale cheap gas left over from last season

Happy boating
Old 05-15-2004, 03:29 PM   #20
Long Bay Guy

Default Lakeport prices

Lakeport was $2.02 this morning and after I filled up I heard the manager come down and complain that the price was wrong and to "stop filling boats until it is corrected". Someone thought it was going up another $.20.
Long Bay Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2004, 07:27 PM   #21
Bob M

Default Gas Prices

The price at Channel Marine was still $2.249 when I tried to fill up late this afternoon. Unfortunately there was a "closed" sign on the pumps as they were out of gas. A new supply was due in early in the evening. I'm wondering how much higher it will be when I stop by in the morning.
Old 05-16-2004, 07:08 PM   #22
hazelnut

Default Prices

Pier 19's price is higher due to the fact that they are pumping premium. I think Trexlers was $2.28 and Browns was around $2.35 both pumping 89 octane.

Funny story about Trexlers was that I and another guy both pulled up at around 9:30am Saturday. It says pumps open 9-5. Nobody there. So the other guy goes in and asks if they are pumping. Someone inside told him we are pumping on the inside dock not out there. Then the guy says but we're real busy right now. So he trurns away my $100 and the other guy said he needed roughly the same. WOW! I guess Trexlers is rolling in so much dough that they can turn away gas customers. In the end it was my disadvantage because I ended up paying more at Browns.

I hope we are not headed towards $3.00 per gallon on the water. (I'm sure we are.)
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 12:30 PM   #23
Bob M

Default Gas Prices

The price at Channel Marine jumped to $2.329 per gallon. Sure glad they ran out of that cheap $2.249 per gallon gas.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:20 PM   #24
B R

Default Lakeport gas prices

Lakeport was $2.21 this weekend.
B R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 04:45 PM   #25
Just Wonderin

Sunday, Pier 19 was $2.59
Just Wonderin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 04:11 AM   #26
Belmont Resident

Default Gas prices

Just topped off yesterday afternoon at Lakeport. $2.22 a gallon and rising.
Gas attendent said price changed twice on Saturday. In the morning it was as low as $1.89. They've always been the cheapest on the lake though no matter what the price is anywhere else.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 08:54 AM   #27
Lin

Default fueling up

I just hope the high cost of fuels at the marina's vs the roadside gas stations don't cause more people to fill up a fleetful of 5 gallon containors and manually fill the boats. Every year I see more and more people doing that on the shore filling small boats and jetskis with fuel from gasoline containors. Some of those nozzles on them can leak like a sieve. The outcome for fuel spills would be numerous around the lake shore. I for one would like to see the lake quality going up not deterioting for economic reasons. Not good for swimming, wells and wildlife.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:38 PM   #28
B R

Default lakeport gas prices

$2.21 on Sunday