Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-01-2010, 09:14 PM   #1
Seeker

Default Computer repair - east side of lake

I don't know if I need it yet but in case my one shot doesn't work I'd like to know if anyone has good experience with a computer repair guy in the Wolfeboro to Ossipee area?
My laptops dvd/cd drive was totally acting up on both audio and video. I got the video straightened out somehow but the audio is stll very bad and unintelligible. It's not the speakers. I ordered a new drive but just in case that doesn't solve the problem I'd like to have a backup plan as I do websites for a couple organizations I belong to.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
Argie's Wife

When is the last time you updated your sound drivers?

Go to your computer manufacturer's website and you should be able to download the latest update and install.

Check your sound settings, including special effects, equalizer settings, etc. - sometimes they cause more problems. Disable your enhancements.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 11:06 PM   #3
JupiterMackem

Default Taking a step backwards...

Seeker - I'm assuming you are running a Windows machine here... Using Mrs. A's post for inspiration, the way forward may be to go backwards!

Can you remember when your machine worked correctly the last time? Try powering down your machine completely, ie switch off, AND remove the battery for a few minutes, and then power-up, and perform a system restore from a date that you know the machine worked OK. (Use the Windows help menu to guide you through the restore process.)

If your drivers have become corrupted, then this should hopefully get you back to a known good configuration, rather than running the gauntlet of installing new un-tested software.

Good Luck,

The Mac enabled Mackem
JupiterMackem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:11 AM   #4
Argie's Wife

Quote:
Originally Posted by JupiterMackem View Post
Seeker - I'm assuming you are running a Windows machine here... Using Mrs. A's post for inspiration, the way forward may be to go backwards!

Can you remember when your machine worked correctly the last time? Try powering down your machine completely, ie switch off, AND remove the battery for a few minutes, and then power-up, and perform a system restore from a date that you know the machine worked OK. (Use the Windows help menu to guide you through the restore process.)

If your drivers have become corrupted, then this should hopefully get you back to a known good configuration, rather than running the gauntlet of installing new un-tested software.

Good Luck,

The Mac enabled Mackem

That would mean holding down F8 (or hitting it again and again when booting, depending on what computer brand you have) when you're booting up and then going into the config choices. Choose "last known good configuration" and go from there with the prompts, using arrow keys to highlight your choice. Enter a date. Hit , and that may work... but try tweaking your sound drivers and settings first... by going in to last known good configuration, any programs you installed or updated AFTER the date you set as being the last good configuration may need to be reinstalled. You won't lose data - only setting that were possibly tweaked.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:12 AM   #5
EricP

I wouldn't do the system restore as mentioned above. Look for updated drivers for the sound card as advised and start with that, much safer move. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I don't know anyone on that side of the lake, but I can offer advice if you'd like.
EricP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2010, 09:17 AM   #6
JupiterMackem

Default Further thoughts...

I think the key issue here is to consider when the problems occurred. Ask the questions...

1/ Did the machine ever work OK?
2/ When did it stop behaving properly?
3/ Did you install any software/upgrades between working and not working?

To add to what I suggested earlier, again using the restore function, before you do anything, (either my or others suggestions) CREATE a restore point. This is way of getting back to at least where you are now.

As I see it, the danger is that if you install new drivers then the new drivers may not work either. You may also then lose the limited functionality you have now.

And after all of that - don't forget to make sure your machine is virus free.

Good Luck,

The Mackem.
JupiterMackem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:50 AM   #7
fatlazyless

www.rcr3347.com

Located in Ashland NH, Route 93-Exit 24, the geographic center of New Hampshire: it's also the "high quality-low cost" center of New Hampshire, too.

Ok, so Ashland is on the west side of the lake.....big deal...so what...

Go see Ritchie, and he'll probably fix it fast and cheap with Ashland pricing!

Located on Riverside Drive (Route 3-25) across from the Squam River and the Vintage Fret Store (www.vintagefret.com).

968-7271 - Ritchie's Computer Repair

Last edited by fatlazyless; 01-02-2010 at 10:29 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 11:27 AM   #8
Seeker

Thanks All for your help so far.

The machine is a 3 yr old HP laptop running Windows XP.
Ran great until about 4 days ago when my wife wanted to watch Lord of the Rings on it. Video and audio became choppy. Video sometimes straightens itself out but not audio (also bad w/ CDs). Everthing (A&V) works great if not using the dvd drive. I think the drive is bad so I ordered a new one ($45) - same exact model so just plug and play. If that doesn't work then I'll start making some changes.
Been thru all the HP help but nothing worked and I don't want to change a lot of settings until I check out the new drive.

And FLL I'm not going to Ashland. I spend too much $$$ at Vintage Fret Shop.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 04:19 PM   #9
tummyman

When all else fails, buy a MAC ! I gave up on the PC's in April. Too many quirks and all the virus stuff, etc. So I splurged and bought a MAC laptop. WOW, what a new world. Easy to use, never slows down, instantly available all the time. Speed is incredible. Our whole family is converting to MACs. Microsoft comes out with Windows7 and charges everyone hundreds to update....Apple comes up with its new operating system and it is $29 to upgrade.
tummyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:07 PM   #10
trfour

Default Hi tummyman...

Just don't get a false sense of security. As soon as MAC starts getting more market share, the hacks are going to jump on their bandwagon too.

Here's a short list; http://blogs.zdnet.com/security/?p=4...g=content;col1

Must Read; http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-10...html?tag=mncol

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 02-04-2010 at 12:51 AM. Reason: PC Security
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 10:16 AM   #11
fpartri497

Default computer security

every day I have at least 15-20 attacks on my computer. The hackers are running rampant. While I typed this short sentance I had two attacks. kaspersky seems to catch them all and block them. Kaspersky lists the Ip address of the attackers but says they are spoofed.

Old 01-05-2010, 01:57 AM   #12
trfour

Default fpartri479...

Hi, I'm not sure of what you are running for an OS, and what you're settings are, the threat warnings that you are getting from kaspersky seems to me on the high side. It wouldn't hurt to get an independent antivirus malware scan, or ask Ryan Naraine out at; http://threatpost.com/

All of the firewall antivirus malware vendor's out there are doing they're best to keep up with the hacks, however loopholes still exist.
Do not wait for you're computer to slow down, try to stay ahead of the curve, keep your system up to date.

By all means, sign up for security bulletins at ZDnet, Cnet and threatpost.com.

Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
Old 01-05-2010, 10:23 AM   #13
fpartri497

Default computer security

Hi terry:

Im running windows 7 with windows firewall and kasperskys Internet security. I have It set to do daily scans and allways comes up with a lot of adware.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:26 PM   #14
trfour

Default O/S Security...

And do not forget to keep your third party add on apps up to date. The hacks are finding these easier to exploit!
http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/to...ecurity-010810

Terry