Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Polls
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How many generations does you and/or your family go back to being in this area?
First Generation (new to the area) 275 26.62%
Second Generation (parents lived here first) 233 22.56%
Third Generation (grandparents lived here first) 285 27.59%
Fourth Generation (great grandparents lived here first) 109 10.55%
Fifth Generation (great-great grandparents lived here first) 59 5.71%
My family has been here since the earth cooled 72 6.97%
Voters: 1033. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-26-2008, 12:20 PM   #1
Argie's Wife

Default What Lakes Region Area Generation Are You?

Curious how many Lake W lovers have been in the area (or enjoyed summer in the area) because it's a long time family tradition or because they just found something good on their own. If your family moved away and then migrated back to the area, then count that past generation as the one who "discovered" the area.

Please respond to the poll and indicate how long you and/or your family have frequented the Lake W area. Thank you!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Argie's Wife For This Useful Post:
b.fortin.sari (11-05-2008), Rattlesnake Gal (04-17-2009)
Old 10-26-2008, 12:51 PM   #2
camp guy

Default Lakes Region Generation

The Lakes region is populated by many people who got their start in the Region by doing something else - going to one of the private schools, working in one of the restaurants, motels, hotels, being a camper/staff member at a summer camp - and then, after they had "gone off to make their fortune", they returned to the Region to have a primary or secondary home.

Many stories behind the story include couples meeting while working in the area, staying in touch through school and work years, getting married, and then, eventually, returning to this area.

I think a measure of how the Lakes Region creeps into people's lives can be seen by looking at the number of out of state vanity license plates that include letters trying to say "Lake Winnipesaukee", "Wolfeboro", "Melvin Village", and many other local geographic landmarks. People living out of state using local NH area landmarks for thie out of state license plates must get a smile when seeing other people trying to figure out what the heck that plate is all about.

My wife and I were in Central Pennsylvania recently and I saw a car with Pennsylvania plates with "HMPTNBCH" as their 'number'. Small world.

I know that in Wolfeboro there are people who got their start as a camper at my family's summer camp (Camp Wyanoke) many, many years ago.
camp guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:19 PM   #3
ILoveWinnipesaukee

Default Will retire in the area, hopefully

My grandparents spend winters in Florida and summered on Lake Winnipesaukee. mostly staying in rental houses that they rented for the whole summer. When my parents began coming to the lake, they would stay for several weeks at a time at the Margate. I spend many summers there at the Margate until it became too commercialized and we moved over to the Silver Sands motel cottages. We stayed there several weeks at a time during the summers from about 1968 to 1976. My mother passed away in 1976 and we moved away to Texas.

I moved back to New Endland and make annual trips up to the lake during all times of the year. Mainly coming up for the fall foliage trips on M/S Mt. Washington. The area has not changed much in my lifetime, except for the addition of many new condos and the beautiful addition of the Mills Falls complex in Meredith.

I am now 50 and will continue my yearly trips up to the lake until the time I am able to retire from work, then I will find a place to call my home for my retirement. I feel so at peace at the lake, I know this is the only place I will retire.
ILoveWinnipesaukee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:43 PM   #4
aopel

Default 5th Generation Winni

We named our daughter Winni after our family being on the lake for 5 generations and as a tribute to my grandmother who used to say, "why go anywhere else when you are already here." My mother just celebrated her 80th birthday and I put together a video of old family photos and 8mm film. I found many great pics from the '30s of my mom, my grandmother and my great grandmother, staying in houses all along Dochkam Shore. A few of the houses are still standing, but most are being replaced by mcmansions that sit empty most of the year. Maybe this economic downturn will help remind people of the virtues of a simple cabin by the lake.
aopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 03:16 PM   #5
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default I did 3rd Generation...

...but it wasn't my grandparents...it was my great aunt and uncle who had a place in Lake Shore Park.

My ancestors all came from Scotland in the 19teens and early 20's, so it's 3 generations for me, but my daughter and grandchildren live right here in Alton, with no plans to move, so there is five generations.
Old 10-26-2008, 04:03 PM   #6
KonaChick

Quote:
Originally Posted by aopel View Post
We named our daughter Winni after our family being on the lake for 5 generations and as a tribute to my grandmother who used to say, "why go anywhere else when you are already here." My mother just celebrated her 80th birthday and I put together a video of old family photos and 8mm film. I found many great pics from the '30s of my mom, my grandmother and my great grandmother, staying in houses all along Dochkam Shore. A few of the houses are still standing, but most are being replaced by mcmansions that sit empty most of the year. Maybe this economic downturn will help remind people of the virtues of a simple cabin by the lake.
We love our McMansion just as much as those in the past loved their simple cabins. Our house does sit empty sometimes but that doesn't mean we don't cherish our time at the lake and look forward to a time in our lives when we'll be able to be there more often.
KonaChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:20 PM   #7
jrc

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonaChick View Post
We love our McMansion just as much as those in the past loved their simple cabins. Our house does sit empty sometimes but that doesn't mean we don't cherish our time at the lake and look forward to a time in our lives when we'll be able to be there more often.
Well said.

My family has American Indian ancestors, we're still miffed about people tearing down wigwams for cabins.
jrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:49 PM   #8
WinnDixie

Smile A good long time!

My husband's family have been in the Lakes Region for a LONG time. His three-greats grandfather fought in the Civil War with the 12th NH Vols. I only got to claim it as home when I married him...but had lived in NH all my life, and that was always my favorite region, so I was delighted to be there. Still have a child and grandchildren there, so I think we still count! The winters finally got too much, and we left, but still it will always be home. It is why I love the forum so much...I am in Dixie, but there is WINNipesaukee in my heart.

Last edited by WinnDixie; 10-26-2008 at 06:56 PM. Reason: misspelled word
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:39 PM   #9
Waterbaby

Default Second............. or Third................

I chose third generation, as my son is the third to be on the great Lake. Hubby and I used to have a year-round apartment in Lakeport as our "second home", I lived on the Lake (literally) in Wolfeboro during the summer (on the cabin cruiser) and my son loves the Lake as much as I do! My mom tells me it's no wonder I have an affinity for the Lake as I was conceived there............. perhaps TMI, but there ya go!
Old 10-26-2008, 07:58 PM   #10
Just Sold

Default Is There Anywhere Else?

I am second generation. My dad started coming here in the late 20's early 30's at the Y camp on Bear Island. I spent my youth summering at Alton Bay. I have spent many a day on the lake in the last few years enjoying its beauty and majesty.

My son had many wonderful days on the lake including staying on Rattlesnake Island but at this point in his life he is working on his "fortunes" but maybe he will return to the lake later in his life.

Like many have said here many times the Lake keeps drawing me back and my hope is to retire here. I still make the trip to the lake as often as I can. There is no better place on earth to be.

To echo ILoveWinnipesaukee's comment: "I feel so at peace at the lake"
Old 10-27-2008, 09:39 AM   #11
Island Life

We're summer folks but have been for many, many generations. Before that, my ancestors lived in Gilford year round - this would probably be beginning in the late 1600s - and are buried there. I think my great-great grandfather moved away from the area but always returned for the summers.
Old 10-27-2008, 10:34 AM   #12
Lakegeezer

Default First gen

My wife and I are first generation residents, but my wife is first generation with a twist. As the story goes, her parents were staying at a camp on Sandy Island with a twinkle in their eyes and she was born 9 months later.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:13 AM   #13
SLI

I chose 3rd generation as my grandparents inherited our place on Smith Point from a great aunt? My parents still spend their summers there, with the rest of my sibs & I commuting on weekends from elsewhere in NH. My oldest son was married @ our summer place as was my hubby & I. My grandson (soon to be 3) is now 5th generation. My mom has spent her whole life summering on Smith Point and I pray she will have many more. I know I'm biased, but I think we have the best spot on the lake!
SLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:48 AM   #14
Cristen

I'm third generation...

My father's parents bought a seasonal cottage on Meredith Neck back in 1959. My parents were both school teachers, so my sisters and I spent our childhood summers at the lake, and those are hands down the BEST memories of my life!

As we grew up and my sisters and I got married, the cottage got to be too small for our growing family. A couple of years ago, the cottage was torn down, and a new house was built. My parents are now retired and living there.

My husband and I just closed on a house of our own yesterday afternoon. It's in the Suissevale Association in Moultonborough, and we couldn't be happier!
Cristen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:19 AM   #15
WeirsBeachBoater

Default Congratulations

Glad to hear you are now property owners!!!
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:50 AM   #16
islandAl

Default I'm 2nd with

3rd and 4th generations now enjoying the wonders of island life.
Thanks Mom and Dad.
islandAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 12:43 PM   #17
jkjoshuatree

Talking 3rd Generation

My grandparents meet at a dance in Centre Harbor (both from Boston originally). They were married a few years later, had my aunt and then my dad.

The four of them used to take the train from North Station to the Weirs, get off the train with all their luggage and then walk the tracks into Meredith looking for a place to rent. When my dad realized there were houses out on the islands he could see from the shore, he knew he'd found paradise.

Twenty some odd years later (when he was 35) he bought our place on Bear Island (two months after I was born-think he bought it for me?) and I've been coming here ever since.

And last year I asked my wife to marry me in Centre Harbor. Every time we drive through there I jokingly ask her if I've ever told her that my grandparents met here. I tend to repeat my stories sometimes and now this is running joke with us.

We were married in Meredith at Church Landing and are in the infancy stages of buying a place of our own. Actually we want to buy land and then build a log cabin (my dream since I was little).

As long as I can go to Winni I don't care if I have to sleep in a lean-to.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:19 PM   #18
callmeD

I have been coming to Gilford since the mid 70's.

Back then, as young men in their early 20's, my late husband and his Best Friend would come up to visit a young lady that Best Friend was dating, and they would stay with her mother who had a camp in Gilford.

A couple of years later, Best Friend bought his own place and we would all (and I mean ALL - the "Go To" place then ... and now!) stay with him on weekends during the summer. Then my husband and I bought our own place in the same association ... and the rest is history.

Since rebuilding my home in Gilford three years ago, I spend more and more time there, visiting as often as I can, and it is my hope to relocate to Gilford from MA in a few years once I establish my business and can support myself. Until then, I come up every chance I get, and each visit nourishes my desire to be there for the long term.
Old 10-30-2008, 04:26 PM   #19
hockeypuck

My Grandmother and her brother owned property on the west side of Paugus Bay. My grand uncle (Dick Bell) would tent there for many years until he built his camp and he and his wife would spend all summer there. They both worked in Concord NH. My parents would always take us up to the camp every summer. Those were great times of swimming, boating, fishing and campfires at night. As fate would have it Uncle Dick passed away and we couldn't afford the price to buy it. I think the outrageous price was around $24,000. Last time I checked, it sold for over $350,000. I have been "Up the lake" every year for the past 60 years. My kids, now grown and with their own families still come up to join the wife and me every summer as we stay on Paugus at Whispering Pines. There must be something in the air or water that just draws people back.
hockeypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:08 PM   #20
KimuraCarter

My parents started bringing me and my brothers on trips to the lake when I was really young. One of my earliest memories and the reason that the spirit of Winnipesaukee is embedded so deeply within me, is of lying in a little bed that was in a bay window overlooking the shore. There was a row boat out there, and I used to fall asleep to the sound of the lake rocking the boat. The Native Americans named her Winnipesaukee; I call her Okaasama (greatly exalted mother).

/end hippie-nature mode
KimuraCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 01:49 PM   #21
kaj

My parents rented every summer from the time I was two. One of my earliest memories is of my then 1 year old sister being knocked over by a wave. I can still picture the sundress she had on. The summer my daughter was 1 my parents finally purchased and that was 22 years ago. My children grew up and made wonderful lifelong friends on the water as I did.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:26 PM   #22
Lakewinn1

Smile Generation

I'm a 3rd generation Lake W 'er. My grandfather's family lived in Wolfeboro untill recently.....Proud to continue the legacy and hope to retire there.
Lakewinn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 06:52 PM   #23
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,053 Times in 496 Posts
Default Don't know...

We moved here in 1986... so I know we're not even close to 1st generation.

The kids where 7,7 & 8... so I think, based on this old New Hampshire saying, that they aren't even 1st Generation.. Heck, even their kids won't be "natives". :rolleye1

Grandpa Willy says, "Just because your cat has kittens in the oven, that don't make them biscuits."

Quess we'll just have to stay "Flatlanders"
Old 03-30-2009, 07:10 PM   #24
john60ri

We are newcomers. My wife and daughter and I have been coming up to the Lakes in August since 1996. One year we were at Mascoma for a week. One thing we've noticed over the years is the number of our favorite places that have been disappearing. October Farm market in Meredith. Ben Franklin Store in Ashland. Trues clothing store and Wardos in Meredith. And I understand that Mary Robertsons Bookshop was closing last summer. My daughter and I really liked the Ben Franklin Store. Anyway, . . . We love the Lake!

Last edited by john60ri; 03-31-2009 at 06:32 AM.
john60ri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 07:44 PM   #25
dewitt

Default 2 generations

Started at Chantikleer(can't remember the spelling) in Gilford then off to Wolfeboro.
dewitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 10:14 AM   #26
robmac

I started going to the lake in the early 70 s,my family has a house on York beach ME and I hated the cold Atlantic and loved Winni. Bought my first boat in 78 and have been on the lake since,my daughter has to be pried away when we put the boat away Columbus day every year.
robmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:08 PM   #27
Springhaven

4th generation probably older... Great grand parents lived in Laconia waaaay back when, 1800s. They Bought our summer cottage in West Alton 1943... I personally have been spending time in the summers since 1964 (i was 2) Just trying to keep it in the family now....
Springhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:04 AM   #28
weim2

Smile Youngs Cove-Alton Bay

My parents were the first to build in Youngs Cove in West Alton. The original camp is still there despite all the huge mega structures around it.
weim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:58 PM   #29
granitegriz

Default Landed on Rattlesnake in 1957

Came to rattlesnake in 1957 at the age of ten. My folks set up camp in moonlight cove, nick named by us as cousins cove as there were only three lots that were being rented from Joe Melanson at that time and we were all related. Sold the camp some ten years ago now. I do get back home to NH from Florida in summers and must say I miss it so around the Island. It remains and always will a spiritual vortex where our cottage was located. On top of an Indian site. As evidenced by deep fire heath uncovered by my Dad, along with stone club and axe found out front while swimming one summer. When one closed up the camp late in the fall, one might feel the presence of the Native American families that endured there over the years. I Also have fond memories of all the great friends I made and grew up with in the summers on Rattlesnake and the lake.
granitegriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2013, 07:38 AM   #30
glennsteely

Unhappy third....

Grandparents had their cottage on Spindle Point built. Not sure how it went, but it was def one of these ways......$3900.00 in 1936, or $3600.00 in 1939, one of the two. Cottage was sold in 2000....(I think) for a lot of money, to our old neighbor, torn down, so our old neighbor doesnt have to have a "new" neighbor....what a shame, but my father couldnt afford the taxes.....boy, I miss it.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #31
Pineedles

5th generation on the lake. Only $860 to build in 1892. What a bargain!
Attached Images

Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pineedles For This Useful Post:
vanillavalentine (09-24-2013)
Old 09-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #32
vanillavalentine

Default I was conceived on "the lake!!"

I'm from long island, ny, my parents had their honeymoon on the lake, and came up here all the time.. when my brother was 2, I was conceived here..
I moved here when my son was going to Dartmouth Med School.. so I came back to my roots!
vanillavalentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 08:32 AM   #33
nhboat61

My significant other's grandparents purchased land and built a camp in 1938.

She has been coming up here since she was a week old.

Her children are 3rd generation now..

I've been coming since I met her and we now have our own camp.... 3 miles from the family camp.
nhboat61 is offline   Reply With Quote