Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Lake Issues > Boating Issues > Speed Limits
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2005, 02:30 PM   #1
Fat Jack

Default Time to Stop Talking and Start Writing

Regardless of what anyone's personal opinions are on the reasons for or effectiveness of HB162, at the end of the day, it will (or at least should) come down to what NH's citizens want for their lake. This is why NHRBA is working feverishly to try to get "Out of Staters" to start "Encouraging any and all NH residents to contact their reps."
(see http://www.nhbassfederation.com/mess...s.asp?iMsg=447)
So it is more important than ever that we, the vast majority of NH's citizens, also contact our reps and senators to make sure they feel our overwhelming support for this bill too. Although NHRBA representatives claim that the majority opinion is not that important and should not decide this issue when they post here, they are clearly recognizing the criticality of this factor elsewhere when they say things like "the consistent message I get from the reps are (sic) that they need to hear from the consituents, NH residents, paper letters are the best". and "We have a serious concern in the Moultonboro area, those residents should really contact Rep Patten and voice their concern, I feel she might be speaking on the house floor. Her address is: 46 Patten Hill Rd., Moultonborough, NH 03254-2657"

The legislature will start to debate this issue right after the holidays and it might come to a vote very quickly thereafter. So let's please all take Custie's advice too and write to our reps (and senators) to voice our opinions as well, especially Rep Patten. As Custie says...write a letter, not an email. And when you stop by the post office to send out those last few Christmas cards, invest in a big roll of stamps so you can write to every rep and senator statewide. All 400 reps and all 24 senators. It will be well worth the time and effort. Keep in mind that what the opponents lack in population, they have in dollars, and they will likely be threatening to hold back campaign contributions. So if you have ever contributed to or supported a campaign, make sure you mention that so they will know we are not just voters.

Your legislators' street addresses can be found at; http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/ie/whosmyleg/
All the others can be found at;
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/ie/h...rs/default.asp

Make sure the letters are individually signed.

Set aside a day over the coming holidays for this, you know these opponents who have been recruited by these "out of staters" will.
In the end, our dominance in numbers will prevail over their dominance in volume, money, and intimidation.

PS: If your hand gets tired or you are running low on stamps, don't waste time on Rep Whalley, whose family sells high-speed watercraft, and who (of course) is the most active rep in Concord lobbying against this bill.

Last edited by Fat Jack; 12-20-2005 at 02:32 PM. Reason: to correct a misspelling before the spell police caught it
Old 12-21-2005, 12:01 PM   #2
Dave R

Fat Jack,

You posted this on Dec 6, 2005:

"I told myself I'd chime in on this forum only until it got hostile and offensive again. That seems to be the MO for your group. When someone disagrees with you or makes valid points that hurt you, you get nasty. I'm not going to be called a liar. You guys can go back to discussing the matter amongst yourselves now. At least that way, you are sure to win the "debate".
It was fun.
Bye"

Oddly, it only seems hostile and offensive when you post. One could say it was a self fulfilling prophecy you described... Plenty of healthy and respectful debate otherwise.
Old 12-21-2005, 03:35 PM   #3
Fat Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R
it only seems hostile and offensive when you post.
Dave,
My "out-of-staters" term was not meant to be derogatory. It was quoted directly from the post I mentioned. Sorry if it offended. I agree that anyone who pays taxes in NH or contributes to the NH economy has a right to influence this bill, whether or not they are resident, a registered voter, or a native. I just get tired of reading posts by the opposition on other forums that are specifically directed to out-of-state boaters or to national go-fast groups, while they pretend here that they are representing "NH's recreational boaters" (including the sailboaters and kayers depicted on their websites). Then they call me a liar.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:22 PM   #4
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Jack
Dave,
My "out-of-staters" term was not meant to be derogatory. It was quoted directly from the post I mentioned. Sorry if it offended. I agree that anyone who pays taxes in NH or contributes to the NH economy has a right to influence this bill, whether or not they are resident, a registered voter, or a native. I just get tired of reading posts by the opposition on other forums that are specifically directed to out-of-state boaters or to national go-fast groups, while they pretend here that they are representing "NH's recreational boaters" (including the sailboaters and kayers depicted on their websites). Then they call me a liar.
Quote:
Dave,
I wasn't referring to any particular comment. Perhaps it's an attitude your posts project that sets people off, but I have noted that things tend to get nastier after you post.

I don't plan to contact my legislators since I am not all that riled up about this bill, and it won't make any difference to me if it passes or not. I have never felt I was in danger from a fast boat. VErey close call I have ever dealt with has been with people in "regular" boats who just were not following the rules. I have little faith in most citizens to make a good choice about things such as this, but hope our elected officials vote with their heads and not their emotions.

The only reasons given thus far to support this bill have nothing to do with facts and everything to do with feelings. People feel sad because their neighbor was killed by a jerk who was driving a boat capable of high speeds, people feel the lake is scary (it is at times, but not due to speed, think Eagle Island on 7-4) people feel that speed kills, etc. No facts to show a true problem with high speeds, just feelings. I respect and fully understand those feelings but the realist in me says: "that's not enough".

You have stated we should pass this law just to stop the quibbling and opining about what defines "excessive" speed. Do you honestly think this, or emotions, are a good reason to pass a law? Is this really a precedent we wish to set? What if the majority of the population is scared of young black men hooded sweatshirts? Would you really want a law outlawing them in the state?
Old 02-06-2006, 06:25 PM   #5
ApS

Exclamation Dear Senator,

I hope you will vote for the Speed Limit bill.

If you've followed Laconia Citizen headlines, there have been multiple accidents on New Hampshire's premiere Lake involving speed. Consider that just three accidents involved boats costing together over one million dollars—and weighing over 15 tons—produced passenger injuries and one acknowledged nighttime fatal collision. Our State's expenses in the search, securing, storage, forensics, and other investigations in just one single case cannot be lightly dismissed.

Speaking for myself, I hope not to see these headlines—and such excess—again.

If you've followed on-line sources, you'd have noticed that in 2004, Lake Winnipesaukee marinas once ran out of gasoline!

Not surprising: Speed takes a lot of fossil fuel. Many speedboats will consume gasoline at the rate of one-gallon-per-minute, and some will put lead-additives into the fuel for peak engine performance. This is one of many undesirable combustion byproducts mindlessly added to waters that islanders depend upon as their sole water source.

With fossil-fuel availability occupying so much of New Hampshire's collective concern, this speed limit makes environmental—and humanitarian—sense.

I'm certain that even a modest start in the enforcement of the new law would be greeted warmly by peaceable lake users. We residents are anxious to boat in protected and drinkable waters that produce fewer headlines.

Yours in New Hampshire,

Acres per Second

That's my letter...How does your letter read?

Oh yeah...I forgot the letterhead:
Attached Images

Last edited by ApS; 02-18-2006 at 02:57 PM. Reason: photo makes for a grand letterhead
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2006, 08:16 PM   #6
Fat Jack

Default Time Again to Start Writing

Based on the unofficial word from Concord, HB162 is in trouble in the Senate. The senators that I have spoken with indicate that they are feeling a lot of pressure to kill this bill. Apparently, groups like the American Watercraft Association, Jet Ski News, the Marine Trades Association, and the performance boat manufacturers, dealerships, and owners groups, have been conducting very strong and well-organized national campaigns to overcome this home-grown initiative. (see for instance http://www.jetwaves.com.br/NOTICIAS/...eed_limits.htm). If the citizens of NH don't rise up one more time and make a final effort to impress upon every senator how strongly we want reasonable speed limits on our lakes, we will lose yet again to these outside interests.
Below is a listing of our Senators including their addresses.
I urge you to write a very concise, yet passionate letter to every one of them expressing your desire for passage of HB162. Be sure to include your home address, point out if you are a registered voter, mention your history of contributing to the campaigns of those who share your vision for NH, and sign the letter in ink.

Senator John Gallus
292 Prospect Street
Berlin, NH 03570-2137

Senator Carl Johnson
42 Dale Road
Meredith, NH 03253-6802

Senator Joseph Kenney
PO Box 201
Union, NH 03887-0201

Senator Robert Boyce
22 Frohock Brook Road
Alton Bay, NH 03810-4314

Senator Peter Burling
20 Lang Road
Cornish, NH 03745-4209

Senator Richard Green
15 Nola Avenue
Rochester, NH 03867-3316

Senator Robert Flanders
P.O. Box 1
Antrim, NH 03440-0001

Senator Bob Odell
PO Box 23
Lempster, NH 03605-0023

Senator Sheila Roberge
83 Olde Lantern Road
Bedford, NH 03110-4816

Senator Thomas Eaton
27 Pheasant Hill Road
Keene, NH 03431-4339

Senator Peter Bragdon
20 Park Street
Milford, NH 03055

Senator David Gottesman
18 Indian Rock Road
Nashua, NH 03063-1308

Senator Joseph Foster
9 Keats Street
Nashua, NH 03062-2509

Senator Robert Clegg
39 Trigate Road
Hudson, NH 03051-5120

Senator Sylvia Larsen
23 Kensington Road
Concord, NH 03301

Senator Theodore Gatsas
582 Chestnut Street
Manchester, NH 03104-6052

Senator John Barnes
PO Box 362Raymond,
NH 03077-3062

Senator André Martel
237 Riverdale Avenue
Manchester, NH 03103-7301

Senator Robert Letourneau
30 South Avenue
Derry, NH 03038

Senator Lou D'Allesandro
332 St. James Avenue
Manchester, NH 03102-4950

Senator Iris Estabrook
8 Burnham Avenue
Durham, NH 03824-3011

Senator Charles Morse
18 Brook Hollow Drive
Salem, NH 03079-1866

Senator Margaret Hassan
48 Court Street
Exeter, NH 03833-2728

Senator Martha Fuller Clark
152 Middle Street
Portsmouth, NH 03801-4306
Old 02-12-2006, 08:38 PM   #7
Cal

I urge you to write a very concise, yet passionate letter to every one of them expressing your desire for a VETO of HB162. Be sure to include your home address, point out if you are a registered voter, mention your history of contributing to the campaigns of those who share your vision for NH, and sign the letter in ink.
Take advantage of this list of addresses and make your vote count. They must hear the true feelings of the people not the scare tactics and fudged figures of a small group of people. Figures can be made to appear how ever you want.

Senator John Gallus
292 Prospect Street
Berlin, NH 03570-2137

Senator Carl Johnson
42 Dale Road
Meredith, NH 03253-6802

Senator Joseph Kenney
PO Box 201
Union, NH 03887-0201

Senator Robert Boyce
22 Frohock Brook Road
Alton Bay, NH 03810-4314

Senator Peter Burling
20 Lang Road
Cornish, NH 03745-4209

Senator Richard Green
15 Nola Avenue
Rochester, NH 03867-3316

Senator Robert Flanders
P.O. Box 1
Antrim, NH 03440-0001

Senator Bob Odell
PO Box 23
Lempster, NH 03605-0023

Senator Sheila Roberge
83 Olde Lantern Road
Bedford, NH 03110-4816

Senator Thomas Eaton
27 Pheasant Hill Road
Keene, NH 03431-4339

Senator Peter Bragdon
20 Park Street
Milford, NH 03055

Senator David Gottesman
18 Indian Rock Road
Nashua, NH 03063-1308

Senator Joseph Foster
9 Keats Street
Nashua, NH 03062-2509

Senator Robert Clegg
39 Trigate Road
Hudson, NH 03051-5120

Senator Sylvia Larsen
23 Kensington Road
Concord, NH 03301

Senator Theodore Gatsas
582 Chestnut Street
Manchester, NH 03104-6052

Senator John Barnes
PO Box 362Raymond,
NH 03077-3062

Senator André Martel
237 Riverdale Avenue
Manchester, NH 03103-7301

Senator Robert Letourneau
30 South Avenue
Derry, NH 03038

Senator Lou D'Allesandro
332 St. James Avenue
Manchester, NH 03102-4950

Senator Iris Estabrook
8 Burnham Avenue
Durham, NH 03824-3011

Senator Charles Morse
18 Brook Hollow Drive
Salem, NH 03079-1866

Senator Margaret Hassan
48 Court Street
Exeter, NH 03833-2728

Senator Martha Fuller Clark
152 Middle Street
Portsmouth, NH 03801-4306
Old 02-12-2006, 08:40 PM   #8
ITD

Thanks Jack, I didn't want to have to type all those addresses.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:43 PM   #9
GWC...

Quote:
Based on the unofficial word from Concord, HB162 is in trouble in the Senate. The senators that I have spoken with indicate that they are feeling a lot of pressure to kill this bill.
I urge you to write a very concise, yet passionate letter to every one of them expressing your desire for passage of HB162. Be sure to include your home address, point out if you are a registered voter, mention your history of contributing to the campaigns of those who share your vision for NH, and sign the letter in ink.
Nothing like making them feel the pressure to pass this bill.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:46 PM   #10
Fat Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD
Thanks Jack, I didn't want to have to type all those addresses.

Your welcome...I figured that since for every 1 of you who uses the info to write an opposing letter, 21.75 will be writing a favoring letter. So it was worth it.
Old 02-13-2006, 04:25 PM   #11
Seaplane Pilot

Quote:
Your welcome...I figured that since for every 1 of you who uses the info to write an opposing letter, 21.75 will be writing a favoring letter. So it was worth it.
FJ,

I'd like to point out that, although I have always been Anti HB 162, your communications on this issue and that of the sound issue, have been the driving force in motivating me to contact all members of the Senate to further express my disdain for this bill. Thanks for the nudge and also for posting their names and addresses. SP
Old 02-16-2006, 10:33 AM   #12
RegalStan2450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot
FJ,

I'd like to point out that, although I have always been Anti HB 162, your communications on this issue and that of the sound issue, have been the driving force in motivating me to contact all members of the Senate to further express my disdain for this bill. Thanks for the nudge and also for posting their names and addresses. SP
I have not always been anti HB162. Now I am after reading about it for a couple months now. I just don't feel it is about safety. Beginning my letter now
Old 02-16-2006, 10:44 AM   #13
Fat Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot
FJ,

SP,
But keep in mind what a small minority you are in. For every one of you that I inspire write in opposition to the bill, there will be maybe 22 that will write in support. I'll take those odds. Don't forget when you write to mention the "discrimination" issue...that one never gets old. I'm sure one or two of the Senators have not heard it yet.
Old 02-16-2006, 11:06 AM   #14
ITD

Quote:
SP,
But keep in mind what a small minority you are in. For every one of you that I inspire write in opposition to the bill, there will be maybe 22 that will write in support. I'll take those odds. Don't forget when you write to mention the "discrimination" issue...that one never gets old. I'm sure one or two of the Senators have not heard it yet.
Don't believe it SP, more fluff, nothing to back it. Write your letter, it will make a difference.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:47 PM   #15
chipj29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD
Don't believe it SP, more fluff, nothing to back it. Write your letter, it will make a difference.
It very well may make a difference. I wrote my letter and received a reply from my senator. And it turns out we share the same opinion on HB162. I didn't have to try to change his mind.
Old 02-16-2006, 06:29 PM   #16
Yankee

Quote:

Where are you getting your information to back up this claim? The same place that provides you the impetus to promote hb162?

I've so far have stayed out of this debate, because I believe that "out of staters" are the ones who are pushing the passing of this bill. I know of no one who has lived here all their lives that thinks that a speed limit is the answer. It's been widely known for many years that the problem is all the tourists who do not obey or care about the laws that are already on the books and who also have a keen disregard for anyone but themselves. This problem is visible in alot of places, not just on the lake. And it's chalked up to progress, as alot of local folk depend on tourism for their livelilhoods. People put up with it, but do not approve of it.

However, I believe that it's one thing to standby and watch the changes to the landscape and economy that tourism provides, but it's a whole different issue to then standby and watch transplants attempt to push their adgenda via the political process and their$$$$ Even if people like you have the right to do such.

Therefore I must speak up for what I hold dear and have let my elected officials know my opinion on this subject. Which, btw is my desire for them to vote against hb162.

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of Obamunism should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest the Republic become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

. . .Evidently nothing.

(Cicero, 55 BC augmented by me, 2010 AD)
Old 02-16-2006, 06:56 PM   #17
Evenstar

Smile NH Native and for HB 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee
...I know of no one who has lived here all their lives that thinks that a speed limit is the answer. ....
Well I'm a New Hampshire native - and I'm very much for the speed limit.

My dad is a New Hampshire native. (his parents settled in nothern NH in 1920.) My grandmother (on my mom's side) was a New Hampshire native - and her direct line has remained in NH since 1658 - before it was even NH. So my line has been in NH for many generations.

I totally diagree with you - I think that most of the people who are for the speed limit are NH residents. After all, these are our lakes.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:01 PM   #18
Fat Jack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee
Where are you getting your information to back up this claim?
From the polling. Want me to repost the results? Or don't you buy those results because the specific limits were not mentioned in the question? Would it satisfy you if the exact questions that Skip requested were asked to twice as many people? I'm sure that even then you'd still think of some excuse to deny that the overwhelming majority of the owners of NH's lakes favor passage of HB162.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:47 PM   #19
Yankee

I stand by my last statement. So, again: Where are you geting your information to back up this claim?

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of Obamunism should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest the Republic become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

. . .Evidently nothing.

(Cicero, 55 BC augmented by me, 2010 AD)