Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2019, 05:34 PM   #1
Weekend Pundit

Angry Can't Tell 30 Feet From 150?

I attended the midnight fireworks at Weirs Beach last night.

As I waited along with a good number of other boaters, a Cap'n Bonehead came through the crowd of anchored boats while on plane. He passed by numerous boats, well within the 150 foot limit, oblivious to the fact that he broke the law dozens of times in less than 10 seconds. He passed by me by about one-and-a-half a boat lengths (about 30 feet) from my starboard side, running between me and another boat anchored 50 feet from me. I guess his need to get through the Weirs Channel and into Paugus Bay was far more important than the safety of dozens of boaters.

One has to wonder if this guy even had a clue, or worse, just didn't care.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:47 PM   #2
DBreskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Pundit View Post
Cap'n Bonehead came through the crowd of anchored boats while on plane.

The rest of his family must have been in Alton Bay last night. Several of them got a visit with the police.
Old 07-04-2019, 06:48 PM   #3
garysanfran

Default Watched two boats off Stonedam...

Hit rocks. First with the bow hull, then the stern drive. Bounced hard enough to make screams on board. They both limped away. Probably a couple $thousand a -piece for the local economy.
Old 07-04-2019, 07:37 PM   #4
Weekend Pundit

Quote:
Originally Posted by garysanfran View Post
Hit rocks. First with the bow hull, then the stern drive. Bounced hard enough to make screams on board. They both limped away. Probably a couple $thousand a -piece for the local economy.
Was this near the east entrance of Sally's Gut or near the south end of the island? I was anchored near the dock at the north end of Stonedam a good portion of the day. There was a lot of traffic in and out of the Gut and more than a couple of boats towing knee/wakeboards and tubes. Have to wonder if someone got too close to the rocks near there.

Last edited by Weekend Pundit; 07-04-2019 at 07:38 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 07-04-2019, 08:56 PM   #5
Hillcountry

Quote:

As I waited along with a good number of other boaters, a Cap'n Bonehead came through the crowd of anchored boats while on plane. He passed by numerous boats, well within the 150 foot limit, oblivious to the fact that he broke the law dozens of times in less than 10 seconds. He passed by me by about one-and-a-half a boat lengths (about 30 feet) from my starboard side, running between me and another boat anchored 50 feet from me. I guess his need to get through the Weirs Channel and into Paugus Bay was far more important than the safety of dozens of boaters.

Common occurrence, sadly. I have all but given up wondering what these boneheads are about...I call it blissful ignorance. Weekends and holidays bring them out in force but unfortunately, they are present during the week too.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2019, 10:35 PM   #6
rick35

Quote:

That’s why we don’t go to the Weirs fireworks. It’s mayhem in the bay and leaving past Eagle.
Old 07-05-2019, 05:07 AM   #7
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick35 View Post
That’s why we don’t go to the Weirs fireworks. It’s mayhem in the bay and leaving past Eagle.
I don't go out at all during the 4th any more. It is sad.
gravy boat (07-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 05:43 AM   #8
garysanfran

Default Yup...

Quote:
Was this near the east entrance of Sally's Gut or near the south end of the island? I was anchored near the dock at the north end of Stonedam a good portion of the day. There was a lot of traffic in and out of the Gut and more than a couple of boats towing knee/wakeboards and tubes. Have to wonder if someone got too close to the rocks near there.
North side just outside the cove.
Old 07-05-2019, 06:00 AM   #9
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Went to Wolfeboro for the first time since "the year to turn back" last night, and it was great! People (at least what I saw) were very considerate. The only real issues were a. those absurdly distracting LED under-water lighting packages that serve no purpose other than bling and blinding people behind, and 2. a couple dopes with their "headlights" on. Great night, overall!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 07-05-2019, 06:39 AM   #10
Garcia

Default Leaving crowded area

Center Harbor was great last night. Everyone always seems to be in a rush to leave when the show is over. Rather than slowly exit with minimal wake, too many go at just the right speed to create the biggest wake possible. If everyone went slower until Becky’s Garden or a little beyond, these huge wakes would be minimized and everyone would be on their way pretty much just as quickly.

I’ve been going to fireworks shows for decades and realize this won’t ever happen, though. And, dealing with whatever boat traffic there is beats sitting home!

Last edited by Garcia; 07-05-2019 at 07:10 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 07:03 AM   #11
Cal Coon

Quote:

As a "Weekend Pundit", you should expect this kind of "stuff", it should not be a "surprise" to you, (or anyone else) for that matter. How many times does "stupidity" need to be discussed...??? It's out there, in every walk of life. You just have to deal with it, or stay home. There is nothing else you can do about it. MP can't be everywhere... I look at these "boneheads" as part of my entertainment while I'm out there!! ALWAYS remember, life is a risk no matter what you are doing, and nobody, or nothing, can guarantee anyone's safety, EVER. The ONLY cure for this particular problem would be to completely BAN all boating activities the night of the fireworks, is that what you would want? I would be willing to bet that if there was a "forum" for all the people that watched the fireworks from "land", that they would most likely be "posting" all the "bonehead" moves they witnessed too, on land. The only cure for that would be to completely BAN anyone from attending the fireworks on land as well!! If "officials" really felt that they needed to protect "us" all, from all the "boneheads" out there, there would be NO fireworks anywhere at all because there would be no one out there to see them!! Don't let the "boneheads" win. Stop complaining, enjoy life, ("boneheads" and all...), or stay home.

Last edited by Cal Coon; 07-05-2019 at 07:52 AM.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:13 AM   #12
Hillcountry

The “boneheads” will never “win” but they might cause loss of life someday. We all enjoy the lake on our own terms...protecting my family and property is priority one and enjoyment comes next. The fact that you “laugh at and enjoy” the antics of stupid people says MUCH about you.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:25 AM   #13
DBreskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal Coon View Post
As a "Weekend Pundit", you should expect this kind of "stuff", it should not be a "surprise" to you... Stop complaining, enjoy life, ("boneheads" and all...), or stay home.

Hmmm. Are you complaining about someone complaining?
The Following User Says Thank You to DBreskin For This Useful Post:
Newbiesaukee (07-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 08:54 AM   #14
thinkxingu

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia View Post
Center Harbor was great last night. Everyone always seems to be in a rush to leave when the show is over. Rather than slowly exit with minimal wake, too many go at just the right speed to create the biggest wake possible. If everyone went slower until Becky’s Garden or a little beyond, these huge wakes would be minimized and everyone would be on their way pretty much just as quickly.

I’ve been going to fireworks shows for decades and realize this won’t ever happen, though. And, dealing with whatever boat traffic there is beats sitting home!
I was actually impressed with how everyone was taking their time from Wolfeboro--the issues came more on the open water after. We passed two (separate) kayaks with tiny lights!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 07-05-2019, 08:57 AM   #15
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
The “boneheads” will never “win” but they might cause loss of life someday. We all enjoy the lake on our own terms...protecting my family and property is priority one and enjoyment comes next. The fact that you “laugh at and enjoy” the antics of stupid people says MUCH about you.
The boneheads win when things get stopped or cancelled (ie: fireworks in this case), because of "responsible" people complaining about the boneheads ruining their enjoyment. It's NOT rocket science... And I didn't say that I "laugh at and enjoy" the boneheads. I just shake my head at them and REFUSE to allow them to ruin my enjoyment. Nice try at trying to insult me by saying I said something I never said. What does that say about you? However, you are right, the boneheads do cause loss of life unfortunately, ALL the time. I'm sure you heard about the senseless bonehead move some loser pulled on Rt 2 in Randolph NH killing 7 innocent people a couple weeks ago. Perfect example, unfortunately. How do we "fix" that?? Ban motorcycles, pick up trucks, or trailers?? Law enforcement can't be everywhere all the time to keep us safe. However, MAYBE IF MORE OF OUR LAWS WERE ENFORCED, LESS INNOCENT PEOPLE WOULD DIE... Maybe we could START with that!!!! Unfortunately,that is the risk we take in being out there among them. Nothing will ever change that. I would always prefer to take my chances among the boneheads being FREE, than being safe... I think we have had this conversation before. Mr Rogers' neighborhood was the "land of make believe", it can NEVER be duplicated in real life no matter how hard you try. The sooner you realize that, the better off you will be. Feel free to bash me all you want. The ONLY thing that complaining is going to achieve is something that will end up being taken away from YOURSELF that you otherwise enjoy!! How stupid is that? Boneheads are a part of life. They will ALWAYS be a part of life, and continue to "fall through the cracks" somehow because we, as humans, are far from perfect, and cant "control" everything in a FREE society. I'd rather die from some boneheads stupidity being FREE, than to be safely tucked into my "safe place" at home with my coloring books and silly putty.. Go ahead and bash away snowflakes...

Last edited by Cal Coon; 07-05-2019 at 02:45 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cal Coon For This Useful Post:
TCC (07-06-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 11:49 AM   #16
Weekend Pundit

Default Do Not Ignore The Boneheads

It is better to point out their idiocy if for no other reason than to warn others. That the bonehead did something extremely dangerous is something we should not ignore. If we ignore it we'll only get more of it. Better to point them out and, if possible, heap scorn and ridicule upon them.

If the bonehead was endangering only himself that would be one thing. Let him/her remove themselves from the gene pool. But when they endanger others, in this case dozens of others, then we should point it out. If I'd been able to see the miscreant's bow numbers I would have filed a complaint with the MP. It's no different than filing a similar complaint about a drunk/distracted driver on the road. Or are we supposed to ignore them as well?

Last edited by Weekend Pundit; 07-05-2019 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Typo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weekend Pundit For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (07-05-2019), Hillcountry (07-05-2019)
Old 07-05-2019, 01:18 PM   #17
The Real BigGuy

“...Snowflakes...”. Now that’s adult.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 07-05-2019, 02:53 PM   #18
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
“...Snowflakes...”. Now that’s adult.

GREAT rebuttal. You a lawyer? Win lots of cases? I can tell a lot of thought went into it... NOT.

Last edited by Cal Coon; 07-05-2019 at 06:55 PM.
Old 07-05-2019, 04:09 PM   #19
Garcia

Quote:
GREAT rebuttal. You a lawyer? Win lots of cases?
I’ll bite - snowflakes?
Old 07-05-2019, 06:56 PM   #20
Cal Coon

Quote:
I’ll bite - snowflakes?
Not sure what you mean here...??
Old 07-05-2019, 08:00 PM   #21
The Real BigGuy

Your right, it didn’t take a lot of thought. Guess I’m just playing at the level of the competition.

Old 07-05-2019, 08:36 PM   #22
winni83

Quote:
Your right, it didn’t take a lot of thought. Guess I’m just playing at the level of the competition.

RBG

As the saying goes, Never engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed opponent.
The Following User Says Thank You to winni83 For This Useful Post:
Cal Coon (07-06-2019)
Old 07-06-2019, 06:36 AM   #23
The Real BigGuy

Your correct, he could be charged with assault with a dead weapon.

Old 07-07-2019, 10:51 AM   #24
Cal Coon

Quote:

Ok, I will be the "adult" here, and not just throw another insult back at you. So, instead of you just trying to insult and demean me, why don't you do the "adult" thing, be a "Real Big Guy", set the example, and tell me where I'm wrong. Maybe we can agree, maybe we won't, but at least we could try to engage in a mature, adult like conversation. Are you capable of that...??

Last edited by Cal Coon; 07-07-2019 at 04:07 PM.
Old 07-07-2019, 03:40 PM   #25
FlyingScot

Hate to disrupt a food fight, but the worst is when they plow right by our swim raft with their kids on a tube or skis right behind them. This happens multiple times every weekend. I'm more worried for the kids than mad at their jackass dads. KEEP YOUR DISTANCE!
The Following User Says Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
Little Bear (07-07-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 04:06 PM   #26
Little Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Hate to disrupt a food fight, but the worst is when they plow right by our swim raft with their kids on a tube or skis right behind them. This happens multiple times every weekend. I'm more worried for the kids than mad at their jackass dads. KEEP YOUR DISTANCE!
Amen to that. I also have a swim raft and am amazed at how close the morons come to the raft, even when there are people swimming around it. It's a perfect testament to the fact that the boating education program has little value (in my opinion). Something so basic as staying 150' away from a swim raft (unless headway speed) is completely ignored. I've often thought of telling Marine Patrol to have a guy sit on my dock and radio over to his buddy in a boat when the violators come by. They'd make enough in fines in one weekend to buy a new boat. This video (taken yesterday) shows something that I've not seen before - unbelievable!
Attached Files
File Type: mov IMG_0059.MOV (11.24 MB, 691 views)
Old 07-07-2019, 04:21 PM   #27
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
If it happens multiple times per weekend, then it should be pretty easy to catch the perp(s). I would "stand by" in my own boat, and wave him down when he commits the crime and make him aware of his stupidity, and get his bow numbers and tell him if he does it again, you will be making a phone call. Simple as that. Or, call MP while it is actually going on so they can catch the perp(s) in the act themselves. I would definitely make MP aware of this situation just so they can take some "routine" patrols through the area more frequently. They will "catch" them eventually. I'm sure they would be more than happy to generate more revenue for the state...
Old 07-07-2019, 04:28 PM   #28
gillygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bear View Post
Amen to that. I also have a swim raft and am amazed at how close the morons come to the raft, even when there are people swimming around it. It's a perfect testament to the fact that the boating education program has little value (in my opinion). Something so basic as staying 150' away from a swim raft (unless headway speed) is completely ignored. I've often thought of telling Marine Patrol to have a guy sit on my dock and radio over to his buddy in a boat when the violators come by. They'd make enough in fines in one weekend to buy a new boat. This video (taken yesterday) shows something that I've not seen before - unbelievable!
Swim rafts don't count under the 150' law. Shore and other boats.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 07-07-2019, 04:38 PM   #29
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Bad Info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post

That’s bull!! Swim rafts with people on it or not are no different than anything else.. headway speed if your within 150’..

Please tell me where you read or heard this...how long have you have been on the lake?

Dan
Old 07-07-2019, 04:48 PM   #30
Little Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillygirl View Post

Better go take the Boater Education Course again...

TITLE XXII
NAVIGATION; HARBORS; COAST SURVEY

CHAPTER 270-D
BOATING AND WATER SAFETY ON NEW HAMPSHIRE PUBLIC WATERS

Section 270-D:2
270-D:2 General Rules for Vessels Operating on Water. –
I. Vessels shall be operated at headway speed only, while passing under all bridges.
II. (a) It shall be the duty of each vessel to keep to the right when vessels are approaching each other head on.
(b) When the courses of vessels are so far to the starboard of each other as not to be considered as approaching head on, they shall keep to the left.
III. When vessels are crossing courses or approaching each other in an oblique direction which may involve risk of collision, the vessel which has the other on its starboard side shall keep out of the way of the other, allowing the latter vessel to keep its course and speed.
IV. When vessels are running in the same direction and the vessel which is astern desires to pass the other, it shall do so only when sufficient distance between the vessels is available to avoid danger of collision, and at such a speed that its wake will not endanger the boat being passed or its occupants. No person operating a vessel shall abruptly change its course without first determining that it can safely be done without crossing immediately ahead of another vessel.
V. If, when vessels are approaching each other, either vessel fails to understand the course or intention of the other from any cause, such vessel or vessels shall immediately slow to a speed barely sufficient for steerage until the vessels have safely passed each other. If it appears the danger of collision is imminent both vessels shall stop or reverse and not proceed until such danger has been averted.
VI. (a) To provide full visibility and control and to prevent their wake from being thrown into or causing excessive rocking to other boats, barges, water skiers, aquaplanes or other boats, rafts or floats, all vessels shall maintain headway speed when within 150 feet from:
(1) Rafts, floats, swimmers.
(2) Permitted swimming areas.
(3) Shore.
(4) Docks.
(5) Mooring fields.
(6) Other vessels.
(b) These requirements shall not apply when:
(1) Starting skiers from shore, docks or floats, as long as neither the boat nor the skier is endangering the life or safety of any person.
(2) A vessel is in the federal deepwater shipping channel of the Piscataqua River between navigation buoys R2, Wood Island at the mouth of the river and R12, opposite the Sprague Terminal.
(c) The operator of a towing boat shall be responsible for compliance with this paragraph.
(d) The requirements of RSA 270-D:2, VI(a)(3) shall not apply to a vessel in the waters of the Androscoggin River from the Errol Dam to Umbagog Lake or in the waters of the Magalloway River within the state of New Hampshire.
VI-a. [Repealed.]
VII. When a vessel is given the right-of-way, such vessel shall hold its course and maintain such speed as the circumstances prudently permit.
VIII. When a vessel is required to keep out of the way of another, it shall, if necessary, slacken its speed, stop, or reverse, and avoid crossing ahead of any other vessel.
IX. Canoes, kayaks, rowboats, sailboats, and swimmers shall be given the right-of-way. This requirement shall not be construed to allow deliberate impediment of motorboats by canoes, kayaks, rowboats, sailboats, and swimmers.
X. (a) No person shall operate a vessel on Lake Winnipesaukee at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the existing conditions and without regard for the actual and potential hazards then existing. In all cases, speed shall be controlled so that the operator will be able to avoid endangering or colliding with any person, vessel, object, or shore.
(b) Where no hazard exists that requires lower speed for compliance with subparagraph (a), the speed of any vessel in excess of the limit specified in this subparagraph shall be prima facie evidence that the speed is not reasonable or prudent and that it is unlawful:
(1) 30 miles per hour during the period from 1/2 hour after sunset to 1/2 hour before sunrise; and
(2) 45 miles per hour at any other time.
(c) The speed limitations set forth in subparagraph (b) shall not apply to vessels when operated with due regard for safety under the direction of the peace officers in the chase or apprehension of violators of the law or of persons charged with, or suspected of, any such violation, nor to fire department or fire patrol vessels, nor to private emergency vessels when traveling to emergencies. This exemption shall not, however, protect the operator of any such vessel from the consequences of a reckless disregard of the safety of others.
(d) The speed limitations set forth in subparagraph (b) shall not apply to boat racing permitted under RSA 270:27.
XI. Any conviction under this section shall be reported to the commissioner of the department of safety, division of motor vehicles, and shall become a part of the motor vehicle driving record of the person convicted.
Source. 1990, 171:1. 1994, 78:1. 1995, 191:2, 3. 2002, 272:13. 2008, 331:1, eff. Jan. 1, 2009. 2010, 41:1, eff. Jan. 1, 2011; 222:2, eff. Aug. 27, 2010.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Bear For This Useful Post:
DBreskin (07-07-2019), FlyingScot (07-08-2019), ishoot308 (07-07-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 04:59 PM   #31
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Better go take the Boater Education Course again...

TITLE XXII
NAVIGATION; HARBORS; COAST SURVEY

CHAPTER 270-D
BOATING AND WATER SAFETY ON NEW HAMPSHIRE PUBLIC WATERS

Section 270-D:2
270-D:2 General Rules for Vessels Operating on Water. –
I. Vessels shall be operated at headway speed only, while passing under all bridges.
II. (a) It shall be the duty of each vessel to keep to the right when vessels are approaching each other head on.
(b) When the courses of vessels are so far to the starboard of each other as not to be considered as approaching head on, they shall keep to the left.
III. When vessels are crossing courses or approaching each other in an oblique direction which may involve risk of collision, the vessel which has the other on its starboard side shall keep out of the way of the other, allowing the latter vessel to keep its course and speed.
IV. When vessels are running in the same direction and the vessel which is astern desires to pass the other, it shall do so only when sufficient distance between the vessels is available to avoid danger of collision, and at such a speed that its wake will not endanger the boat being passed or its occupants. No person operating a vessel shall abruptly change its course without first determining that it can safely be done without crossing immediately ahead of another vessel.
V. If, when vessels are approaching each other, either vessel fails to understand the course or intention of the other from any cause, such vessel or vessels shall immediately slow to a speed barely sufficient for steerage until the vessels have safely passed each other. If it appears the danger of collision is imminent both vessels shall stop or reverse and not proceed until such danger has been averted.
VI. (a) To provide full visibility and control and to prevent their wake from being thrown into or causing excessive rocking to other boats, barges, water skiers, aquaplanes or other boats, rafts or floats, all vessels shall maintain headway speed when within 150 feet from:
(1) Rafts, floats, swimmers.
(2) Permitted swimming areas.
(3) Shore.
(4) Docks.
(5) Mooring fields.
(6) Other vessels.
(b) These requirements shall not apply when:
(1) Starting skiers from shore, docks or floats, as long as neither the boat nor the skier is endangering the life or safety of any person.
(2) A vessel is in the federal deepwater shipping channel of the Piscataqua River between navigation buoys R2, Wood Island at the mouth of the river and R12, opposite the Sprague Terminal.
(c) The operator of a towing boat shall be responsible for compliance with this paragraph.
(d) The requirements of RSA 270-D:2, VI(a)(3) shall not apply to a vessel in the waters of the Androscoggin River from the Errol Dam to Umbagog Lake or in the waters of the Magalloway River within the state of New Hampshire.
VI-a. [Repealed.]
VII. When a vessel is given the right-of-way, such vessel shall hold its course and maintain such speed as the circumstances prudently permit.
VIII. When a vessel is required to keep out of the way of another, it shall, if necessary, slacken its speed, stop, or reverse, and avoid crossing ahead of any other vessel.
IX. Canoes, kayaks, rowboats, sailboats, and swimmers shall be given the right-of-way. This requirement shall not be construed to allow deliberate impediment of motorboats by canoes, kayaks, rowboats, sailboats, and swimmers.
X. (a) No person shall operate a vessel on Lake Winnipesaukee at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the existing conditions and without regard for the actual and potential hazards then existing. In all cases, speed shall be controlled so that the operator will be able to avoid endangering or colliding with any person, vessel, object, or shore.
(b) Where no hazard exists that requires lower speed for compliance with subparagraph (a), the speed of any vessel in excess of the limit specified in this subparagraph shall be prima facie evidence that the speed is not reasonable or prudent and that it is unlawful:
(1) 30 miles per hour during the period from 1/2 hour after sunset to 1/2 hour before sunrise; and
(2) 45 miles per hour at any other time.
(c) The speed limitations set forth in subparagraph (b) shall not apply to vessels when operated with due regard for safety under the direction of the peace officers in the chase or apprehension of violators of the law or of persons charged with, or suspected of, any such violation, nor to fire department or fire patrol vessels, nor to private emergency vessels when traveling to emergencies. This exemption shall not, however, protect the operator of any such vessel from the consequences of a reckless disregard of the safety of others.
(d) The speed limitations set forth in subparagraph (b) shall not apply to boat racing permitted under RSA 270:27.
XI. Any conviction under this section shall be reported to the commissioner of the department of safety, division of motor vehicles, and shall become a part of the motor vehicle driving record of the person convicted.
Source. 1990, 171:1. 1994, 78:1. 1995, 191:2, 3. 2002, 272:13. 2008, 331:1, eff. Jan. 1, 2009. 2010, 41:1, eff. Jan. 1, 2011; 222:2, eff. Aug. 27, 2010.
And that’s the problem.... people who have been on this lake and forum for years don’t even know the rules yet criticize all the newbies and rental boaters in public forum!

Dan
Descant (07-08-2019), FlyingScot (07-08-2019), joey2665 (07-07-2019), Little Bear (07-07-2019), Top-Water (07-07-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 05:08 PM   #32
Cal Coon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
And that’s the problem.... people who have been on this lake and forum for years don’t even know the rules yet criticize all the newbies and rental boaters in public forum!

Dan
Some rules are simply common sense. I would NEVER allow any tuber I was towing to get close to any dock, swim raft, moored boat, or ANY other obstacle on the water. I don't need a "rule" to tell me that. It's amazing to me that people can be that stupid, but we all know they're out there, and ALWAYS WILL BE.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cal Coon For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (07-07-2019), Little Bear (07-07-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 05:11 PM   #33
Top-Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post

Dan

Thank you ....... Grand Prize Winner
The Following User Says Thank You to Top-Water For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (07-07-2019)
Old 07-07-2019, 05:33 PM   #34
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Ok, I will be the "adult" here, and not just throw another insult back at you. So, instead of you just trying to insult and demean me, why don't you do the "adult" thing, be a "Real Big Guy", set the example, and tell me where I'm wrong. Maybe we can agree, maybe we won't, but at least we could try to engage in a mature, adult like conversation. Are you capable of that...??
Cal - my whole problem with your post was the “snowflake” comment. It drags the whole post down to a lower level and paints the poster in a less than flattering light!

Old 07-07-2019, 07:00 PM   #35
Cal Coon

Quote:
Cal - my whole problem with your post was the “snowflake” comment. It drags the whole post down to a lower level and paints the poster in a less than flattering light!

So insulting someone you already think as being seen in a "less than flattering light" gives you the "ok" to insult them even further by insulting them on a public forum?? By today's "snowflake" standards, does that make you a bully??? That is just your opinion, which you are entitled too, but it is not a fact. Other's may, or may not agree with you, which is fine. I'm just wondering if you otherwise agreed with the post or not?

Last edited by Cal Coon; 07-08-2019 at 04:12 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 06:55 AM   #36
The Real BigGuy

Seems like it was the opinion of others also. No insult intended. Read my original post.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:51 AM   #37
codeman671

We got swamped Saturday afternoon coming out of a Smith Cove by a large Sea Ray that was coming in on plane. They felt 60-70 feet was actually 150.... I think they keep it at Glendale Yacht Club. They certainly received a “salute” from us, but had no clue of their wrongdoing as the wall of water blew over the front of our pontoon soaking everyone and everything in it.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:02 AM   #38
Woodsy

I like that we have the 150' rule... I see it as more of a guideline, as most people cannot judge distance over water. So I don't get too twisted over people who violate the rule (unless they are danger close say 25' or less).

Its just not worth letting a bonehead ruin my day!

Woodsy
brk-lnt (07-08-2019), Shreddy (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 08:10 AM   #39
dt5150

my favorites are the ones who zip by at 75 feet at high speed while we're trolling along. we'll be fishing close by an island, say welch or rattlesnake, and they'll buzz by between us and the island when they have the entire lake, wide open, on the other side of us. i guess they feel that the miles of open water on the other side just isn't quite enough space.
Old 07-08-2019, 08:14 AM   #40
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsy View Post
I like that we have the 150' rule... I see it as more of a guideline, as most people cannot judge distance over water. So I don't get too twisted over people who violate the rule (unless they are danger close say 25' or less).

Its just not worth letting a bonehead ruin my day!

Woodsy
I agree, I don't let it bother me at all unless it's part of a manifestly unsafe act. The only place it seems to be important to most people is on Winnipesaukee; it's almost universally ignored in NH tidal waters and smaller NH lakes.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (07-08-2019), BroadHopper (07-09-2019), Shreddy (07-08-2019), Woodsy (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 08:45 AM   #41
Little Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R View Post
I agree, I don't let it bother me at all unless it's part of a manifestly unsafe act. The only place it seems to be important to most people is on Winnipesaukee; it's almost universally ignored in NH tidal waters and smaller NH lakes.
I could care less about the 150' rule between boats. I spend the winter boating in Florida, where this rule is non-existent. Let's just say it builds character and experience. However, when it comes to swim rafts (especially with swimmers present), I think it's a valid rule. I agree with Woodsy, nobody should have to take a measuring tape to ensure 150' distance, but coming 3' from a swim raft on plane is ridiculous.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Little Bear For This Useful Post:
BroadHopper (07-09-2019), Dave R (07-08-2019), Woodsy (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 08:52 AM   #42
FlyingScot

Quote:
If it happens multiple times per weekend, then it should be pretty easy to catch the perp(s). I would "stand by" in my own boat, and wave him down when he commits the crime and make him aware of his stupidity, and get his bow numbers and tell him if he does it again, you will be making a phone call. Simple as that. Or, call MP while it is actually going on so they can catch the perp(s) in the act themselves. I would definitely make MP aware of this situation just so they can take some "routine" patrols through the area more frequently. They will "catch" them eventually. I'm sure they would be more than happy to generate more revenue for the state...
Not easy, unless you're prepared to spend a few hours in your boat then chasing a boat with kids in the water (probably more dangerous than the infraction) I tried last year from shore when there was a particularly dangerous skipper. You have to get really close to see a bow number, and then you have to persuade the MP to come, then they have to arrive while the boat's still there.
Old 07-08-2019, 10:54 AM   #43
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Thought I would throw a log on the campfire here and say I enjoyed immensely observing when some guy got pinched by MP over in the NWZ near the Bear Island post office plowing a pretty serious wake. I guess it's the thought that counts he did kind of "slow down" but not nearly enough - appeared to be far more interested in taking pictures with and impressing the ladies in the bow of his boat, can of refreshment which I would assume to be of the adult nature clearly visible, and stereo blaring... was not paying attention to anything or anyone around him (basically checking all the boxes of a moron).

Thankfully he got some "education" and hopefully it included both verbal and financial. That was one well deserved stop.

This is not the first time I have seen the MP camping out on the post office dock there and they blend in nicely so unless you look hard easy to miss them.

Just saying the MP is out there getting it done the best they can.
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 11:58 AM   #44
Shreddy

I went out on the 4th all day. Moultonboro to Wolfeboro to Alton Bay to Center Harbor and back to Moultonboro. Tons of traffic, tons of violations within a strict inference of 150 feet but really no issues. Every now and then I had to wait and be strategic about who was going to yield regardless of whether I had the right of way or not. End of day it didn't matter and we'd figure it out before it ever became a real safety issue.

Saturday, went out again and was waiting for gas in front of Lane's End with a few other boaters. Some guy in a Four Winns came on plane at about 30 between myself and another boat (we were about 50 feet apart idling, so he came pretty close to both of us). This was a clear infraction and very stupid move. Maybe I should've cared more but I didn't. I made a comment about it and moved on. MP wasn't there, I wasn't chasing after him for no reason, and he had his own agenda anyways clearly. It was gorgeous out, so I moved on to enjoying my day.

I get the concern from everyone but if you know the lake and drive defensively you're likely fine. Seems like people spend more time complaining about something that never turned into an issue than actually enjoying themselves. My first thought was certainly not to come online and make a random post that arguably wouldn't have made an impact on the infraction. I can only feel for the company who likely had to tolerate this story day and night as well rather than just enjoy the day.

I don't condone stupid moves on the lake but at the same time there's plenty of time where breaking the 150' rule is fine in my eyes (e.g., the Graveyard) if done responsibly and other times where it's not fine you just hope it's few and far between to never become an issue...but I digress. I spent a lot of time on the boat from Thursday until after 9pm last night and enjoyed every bit of it regardless of the "captain boneheads" and "captain perfects who like to complain".
Old 07-08-2019, 12:57 PM   #45
Hillcountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddy View Post
I don't condone stupid moves on the lake but at the same time there's plenty of time where breaking the 150' rule is fine in my eyes (e.g., the Graveyard) if done responsibly and other times where it's not fine you just hope it's few and far between to never become an issue...but I digress. I spent a lot of time on the boat from Thursday until after 9pm last night and enjoyed every bit of it regardless of the "captain boneheads" and "captain perfects who like to complain".
Breaking the 150' rule is NEVER "fine'"
As far as being "captain perfect" I try my best even though you don't think it's important. Go on and "shred" little man...your time will come.
Old 07-08-2019, 02:00 PM   #46
DBreskin

Quote:

I don't condone stupid moves on the lake but at the same time there's plenty of time where breaking the 150' rule is fine in my eyes (e.g., the Graveyard) if done responsibly and other times where it's not fine you just hope it's few and far between to never become an issue.

If everyone only followed the laws when they felt it was appropriate then we’d have chaos. You don’t get to pick and choose when to apply the law.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DBreskin For This Useful Post:
Hillcountry (07-08-2019), tis (07-08-2019)
Old 07-08-2019, 02:40 PM   #47
Andromeda321

Quote:

At the beginning of the weekend we were just slowing down to go through the no wake zone between Bear and Pine Islands, and a boat behind us came around us at full speed with only about 30 feet between us and them, and sped through the no wake zone. We were a bit shocked, and it was a bit of a shame to see the Marine Patrol cruising along five minutes later- I can't imagine how steep that fine would have been!

I swear, I saw several new seriously illegal things this past week that I never saw in the 20+ years previous. Hope it's not a sign of the way summer is heading.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:02 PM   #48
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillcountry View Post
Breaking the 150' rule is NEVER "fine'"
As far as being "captain perfect" I try my best even though you don't think it's important. Go on and "shred" little man...your time will come.
Poking fun and making assumptions on an avatar based on an opinion you don't agree with? Classy. Appears your time has already come there chief. You hate your father not me buddy.
Old 07-08-2019, 03:28 PM   #49
The Real BigGuy

On no wake topic: I have been pleasantly surprised at the number of people who appear to be following the new “headway speed” rule even though it isn’t law yet. Only a handful of “boneheads” 4th of July week. Hope it keeps up.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:18 PM   #50
Cal Coon

Quote:
Seems like it was the opinion of others also. No insult intended. Read my original post.

"Seems like" we're just going round in circles...
Old 07-08-2019, 06:39 PM   #51
Hillcountry

Quote:
Poking fun and making assumptions on an avatar based on an opinion you don't agree with? Classy. Appears your time has already come there chief. You hate your father not me buddy.
Haha...I don’t “hate you”! Who said anything like that. I just think you are wrong...that’s all. And with your “law breaking is fine” logic, you certainly are.
Shred on!
Old 07-09-2019, 12:11 PM   #52
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
"Seems like" we're just going round in circles...

Let me try and explain it to you then I’m out on this topic.

Your original posts attacks those who don’t think like you and ends insulting those people with the derogatory term “snowflake.”

My first post calls you out on this.

You respond with a post insulting me.

I respond with a shot (or two) of my own.

So, bottom line, if you don’t want to be insulted don’t take the first shot.

I come from a time when “payback is a bitch” and “winning is the only thing.” (My wife hates that side of me). If you do decide to battle, “keep the weak s__t outa here”.

Enough from me on this. Sorry to those of you who have been bored to tears by this exchange.

Old 07-09-2019, 12:54 PM   #53
Pineedles

I’ve read it seems a thousand posts on the violation of the 150 foot rule. Some times it digresses into a s**t storm and others just drift along with everyone agreeing that it is wrong. I would urge everyone on the lake to add a couple of accessories to their equipment roster for boating. They would be, a good pair of binoculars, and a bull horn. Upon encountering “captain bonehead” and crew simply announce that they are violating the law, and that you have their bow numbers, and you are turning the info into the MP. Repeat violators will probably hear from the MP, but just the threat could slow ‘me down in the future. Just my two cents.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
Old 07-09-2019, 12:54 PM   #54
iw8surf

Quote:

I come from a time when “payback is a bitch” and “winning is the only thing.” Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
its 2019 didn't you hear? We are all winners and we all get trophies!
Old 07-09-2019, 01:06 PM   #55
Garcia

Quote:

I come from a time when “payback is a bitch” and “winning is the only thing.”

How exactly does anyone win when arguing and insulting others on a (with few exceptions) anonymous forum?
Old 07-09-2019, 01:56 PM   #56
ApS

Exclamation Leave Florida Outta This, Please...

Quote:
I could care less about the 150' rule between boats. I spend the winter boating in Florida, where this rule is non-existent. Let's just say it builds character and experience. However, when it comes to swim rafts (especially with swimmers present), I think it's a valid rule. I agree with Woodsy, nobody should have to take a measuring tape to ensure 150' distance, but coming 3' from a swim raft on plane is ridiculous.
Quoting Florida boating is a poor substitute for NH's 150-foot rule.

Where skiing and tubing is everywhere, WHEN do you begin to observe the 150-foot rule?

When the tube dumps 4 or 5 swimmers into the lake?

Old 07-09-2019, 02:23 PM   #57
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
How exactly does anyone win when arguing and insulting others on a (with few exceptions) anonymous forum?
Point taken. I’m working on it.

Old 07-09-2019, 02:36 PM   #58
Little Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Quoting Florida boating is a poor substitute for NH's 150-foot rule.

Where skiing and tubing is everywhere, WHEN do you begin to observe the 150-foot rule?

When the tube dumps 4 or 5 swimmers into the lake?

Huh? What's your point?
Old 07-09-2019, 06:34 PM   #59
Cal Coon

Quote:
Let me try and explain it to you then I’m out on this topic.

Your original posts attacks those who don’t think like you and ends insulting those people with the derogatory term “snowflake.”

My first post calls you out on this.

You respond with a post insulting me.

I respond with a shot (or two) of my own.

I come from a time when “payback is a bitch” and “winning is the only thing.” (My wife hates that side of me). If you do decide to battle, “keep the weak s__t outa here”.

Enough from me on this. Sorry to those of you who have been bored to tears by this exchange.

You are wrong BigGuy, unless you're a snowflake. My "original" post attacks NO ONE. It is simply my opinion on the subject of the OP. Go back and read it. I haven't changed it. I did use the term "snowflake" and I stand by it. It was not "aimed" at anyone in particular, it was meant as "if the shoe fits"... I guess if you are a snowflake, I did insult you first, in which case you may be right. However, if you are not a snowflake then we both know that your initial response to me was meant towards me as a derogatory insult, in which case YOU insulted me first. So unless you admit to being a snowflake, you insulted me first, and I am just giving you a little dose of your own medicine right back and it seems to be a little too "bitter" for you to take. So open wide BigGuy, close your eyes, pinch your nose and swallow!!! Just take it like a "BigGuy" would. BTW, I am not "a scared" of what "time" you come from, I'm sure you are just as "tough" over the phone as you are on the keyboard... ****
Old 07-09-2019, 07:23 PM   #60
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,147 Times in 894 Posts

You girls want to take this cat fight to PM's and stop cluttering the Forum with this nonsense?

It is not what the forum is for and it drags down the intelligent conversation and exchange of information that people enjoy reading here.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
DBreskin (07-09-2019), dickiej (07-09-2019), Paugus Bay Resident (07-10-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 04:57 AM   #61
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
You girls want to take this cat fight to PM's and stop cluttering the Forum with this nonsense?

It is not what the forum is for and it drags down the intelligent conversation and exchange of information that people enjoy reading here.

GIRLS??? Trying to start more trouble????
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
Pineedles (07-15-2019)
Closed Thread