Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 08-18-2014, 06:45 PM   #101
RTTOOL
Banned

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattler View Post
Finally got a chance to go recently and wanted to chime in.

My experience is in line with others. The food was mediocre, and the drinks were disappointing. Neither warranted the prices being charged. The service was adequate but not great.

People going there who haven't been before need to set their expectations appropriately. As others have said, it's not a restaurant; it's really just a beach bar in the same class as other beach bars in the area. While the view is great and there is access by boat (albeit with the docking warnings that other posters have detailed), the food quality, prices and service put it, in my opinion, in the middle of the pack when compared to similar establishments on the big lake.
I WOULD'nt say prices and service put in the middle of the pac but more
in the lower bottom . they need to work on docking, the way food is served
just saying
RTTOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:21 AM   #102
Overlake97

Default Margate = better option

Margate's beach bar has pretty good food and fairly reasonable prices, and the boat dock and bar are connected. I think I paid about $14 one month ago for some great Ribs. Biggest negative there is that one of their docks (at least) is a little shaky/unstable.
Overlake97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:39 AM   #103
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Opinion

I have experience all the beach bars, so here is my take.

AKWA marina: Great scenery, good drinks, limited menu, OK food.

Town Docks: Crowded on weekends, Great for kids, good drinks and food, good scenery.

NAZBAR: Packed on Weekends, Good food and drinks, great for kids, excellent sunset scenery. If you want gourmet food, order from the bistro menu. Better yet enjoy the quietness of the restaurant upstairs.

Margate Gazebo. Crowded on weekends, good drinks, limited menu but good food, very limited docking, some opt to raft off the sandbar and walk to the gazebo. Awesome sunset scenery.

I rarely boat from Friday evening to Sunday afternoon. Too crazy for me. The missus and I love our sunset cruises and often stop at either the Margate or the NAZ for good drinks, food and sunset.

On weekends, if I have the kids, I usually go to Town Docks or the NAZ. The NAZ is usually the favorite of the kids because of the entertainment such as Reggae or calypso music. The kids like to participate in the schemes such as Mardi Gras or Pirate weekends.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:23 AM   #104
Rattler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTTOOL View Post
I WOULD'nt say prices and service put in the middle of the pac but more
in the lower bottom . they need to work on docking, the way food is served
just saying
You're probably right. I was trying to be kind. In reality, improvements in many areas are sorely needed if they want repeat business. I won't be going back anytime soon.
Rattler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rattler For This Useful Post:
pondguy (08-21-2014)
Old 08-20-2014, 10:30 AM   #105
Pineedles

Default I liked it

I've been there several times and the docks can be crowded but we never have had to wait for a space. I liked the food and drinks and there was a good variety in offerings from their menu. If there is anything that I don't like, it's the unisex bathroom, which it's hard to determine if it's occupied due the level of music. Overall, I would give the place an 8 for a boat accessible establishment and a 7 as a general restaurant/bar.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2014, 01:04 PM   #106
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
I've been there several times and the docks can be crowded but we never have had to wait for a space. I liked the food and drinks and there was a good variety in offerings from their menu. If there is anything that I don't like, it's the unisex bathroom, which it's hard to determine if it's occupied due the level of music. Overall, I would give the place an 8 for a boat accessible establishment and a 7 as a general restaurant/bar.
Agreed 100% on the bathroom- they at least need a lock that indicates on the outside whether the restroom is in use.

I have had nothing but very good food and service the half dozen times we have been there this year.

Regarding the other beach bars on the lake:
-The Nazwa is consistently good (menu is limited and it seems sometimes you can get food from the Bistro menu, other times you cannot).
-Margate- Docks were real shaky when we stayed there (with boat) for bikeweek. The food was good as was the service (that mad 100 yard dash the staff has to make for the kitchen slows things a bit).
-Town Docks- I have had great food and service there this summer (food is definitely better than last year) and their grape ape drink is ridiculously good!

All in all, we have to remember that these places are seasonal and have to make their money in that very short season.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Phantom (08-20-2014), Pineedles (08-20-2014), WakeboardMom (08-21-2014)
Old 08-25-2014, 01:33 PM   #107
Shreddy

I went in there last week with a friend...or attempted to. We pulled up on our jet skis to grab a drink and some food but were denied when we didn't have shirt or shoes. Understandable I guess...but I thought it was a beach bar. Not to mention it sits right next to a pool where kids were running inside wet. From what we could tell it looked small and nice inside, but for a Tuesday afternoon it definitely wasn't crowded. Sucks that we weren't able to get it, but we never made set plans when we headed over that side of the lake from Moultonboro.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:19 AM   #108
LakeWinniMom

Smile Akwa Marina Bar & Grill

We gave Akwa Marina a try this past weekend after a season or two hiatus. We thought that being so close to the Weirs and Bike week that it would be fairly busy, but we were wrong. We arrived around noon on Saturday to be only the 2nd table. I think by time we left 2-3 more tables were seated as well as the bar area.

We thought the food was pretty good. I guess they are now ran by Hart's, but that doesn't show on the menu (except maybe the Turkey Chili option ) I don't think the menu has changed too much since the last time we were there (sandwiches, burgers, salads). There was a daily special though of Jerk Chicken served with fries, my husband and daughter agreed that they would return for this dish. We were told it may become a permanent Fri/Sat special.

Boat Docking - this is still interesting to say the least. The public docks are set up around the rented Marina Slips, all are floating docks. Because they are floating be aware that about every 25-30 feet there is a big metal half-ring (I am sure there is some technical term) sticking out from the dock posts. So picture a metal ring, about 3 large mooring balls, then another metal ring. We were able to save a boat from hitting one as they came in to dock...it would have definitely left a mark! If you are watching out, you'll be fine.

I would like to see Akwa continue to succeed, it is a pretty cool spot on the water.
LakeWinniMom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LakeWinniMom For This Useful Post:
LongShort (06-21-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 11:11 AM   #109
LongShort

Default Thanks for the save

LakeWinniMom I was the boat you saved from the giant metal ring! Thanks for saying something as I thought we had cleared it.

I would agree that the food was good and it is a great spot although very rough at the docks on a weekend. Of course one thing we have enjoyed is the fact that it is never too crowded. Have a great summer and maybe we'll see you there again soon!
LongShort is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LongShort For This Useful Post:
LakeWinniMom (06-22-2016)
Old 07-18-2016, 03:55 PM   #110
codeman671

We stopped at Akwa twice this weekend, Friday for lunch and Saturday for dinner.

Fridays lunch was decent. My burger was great but the grilled chicken on my wife's salad was old and dried up. Drinks were very good.

Saturdays dinner was good. Fried clams were excellent, burger was good too. The one problem we found this time was the kids mac n cheese. It was literally a small paper cup of Kraft Easy Mac with nothing else. Looked like the same microwaveable stuff you buy in the grocery store zapped and dumped in a different cup. Pretty disappointed there, I would think better of Hart's. If that's what they serve at their normal restaurant I would not be impressed.

Will certainly be back, just not for the Kraft crap.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote