Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Restaurant Information & Reviews
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-07-2014, 03:05 PM   #101
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Bob View Post
I think Oulette has it right , its a out of the way location and the draw was the building . Emotional business people don't make it , financially realistic business people make it. But I'm sure the current owners would look at your offer if you want to give the place a try and buy the lot .
Is it just me? This seems so wrong on so many levels.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 04:26 PM   #102
brk-lnt

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Phantom Gourmand View Post
Is it just me? This seems so wrong on so many levels.
How so? That response didn't seem at all out of line to me.

It seems that people expect that the Woodshed should be rebuilt out of tradition or something, without looking at the financial aspect of things. The current owners bought it (presumably) for the earning potential, and now that is gone and they are logically abandoning the property. If someone wants to pour money down a nostalgia drain, they're certainly welcome to do so, but shouldn't expect the original owners to do so out of any kind of obligation.
Shreddy (01-14-2014)
Old 01-07-2014, 04:36 PM   #103
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

While Oullette may have it right that it is an out of the way location, it doesn't mean that something couldn't be built to replace it, and have success.

The issue is will all 4 owners want to rebuild... My guess is not... this was a business and investment opportunity... They are more likely to take the insurance settlement and walk away. If there ever is an insurance settlement.

Should the "WoodShed" be recreated, well that is a separate question... As I have thought about this some, I would say not.... A new restaurant on the other hand would be fantastic......
Old 01-07-2014, 06:15 PM   #104
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
How so? That response didn't seem at all out of line to me.

It seems that people expect that the Woodshed should be rebuilt out of tradition or something, without looking at the financial aspect of things. The current owners bought it (presumably) for the earning potential, and now that is gone and they are logically abandoning the property. If someone wants to pour money down a nostalgia drain, they're certainly welcome to do so, but shouldn't expect the original owners to do so out of any kind of obligation.
If it was insured properly and the fire is proven to have been an accident than logic dictates the business can be recreated with insurance proceeds and customers would return. There clearly can be a successful business here. How successful depends on what level of debt needs to be placed on the business and what the resultant debt service is. Lots of facts to come out here before what we know what will happen.
secondcurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 09:12 PM   #105
jeffk

Default Building not reasonable

The fact that the restaurant had been in foreclosure indicates that it wasn't performing all that well, nostalgia and good will included. The new owners probably got it for a pretty good price under the circumstances. Would people go to an out of the way location in Moultonborough for a regular, reasonable cost to build restaurant? I doubt it. To "recreate" a Woodshed would be prohibitively expensive and somewhat artificial. It's a really poor business risk to sink money into such a venture and the 4 who invested are not starry eyed fools.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2014, 08:07 AM   #106
Happy Gourmand

I could be wrong, but I feel that the success of a restaurant is more dependent on the quality of the food and to a somewhat lesser degree, the location and the actual building itself. You could have the most beautiful building in the finest location, but if your food sucks, you're not long for the chopping block. Of course, there are many exceptions, but I feel that the food is what will really have the biggest effect on success. Returning diners and word of mouth advertising are key.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 09:40 AM   #107
Merrymeeting

Quote:
I could be wrong, but I feel that the success of a restaurant is more dependent on the quality of the food and to a somewhat lesser degree, the location and the actual building itself. You could have the most beautiful building in the finest location, but if your food sucks, you're not long for the chopping block. Of course, there are many exceptions, but I feel that the food is what will really have the biggest effect on success. Returning diners and word of mouth advertising are key.
I would mostly agree with you, but location does enter into our decision making when choosing to have a nice night out. After a nice, big, relaxing meal, a glass or two of wine (depending on who's driving), and maybe even dessert, the last thing I want to do late at night is drive for an hour or more, especially on the windy, single lane roads around the lake.

Though we loved the atmosphere at the Woodshed, and always enjoyed our meals there, we had not been there in many years. For us, the drive always discouraged it being a location of choice.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
WakeboardMom (04-18-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 10:19 AM   #108
jeffk

Default For some, maybe that is true

Quote:
But I would point out a restaurant right around the corner from The Woodshed, Buckeys. There have been several restaurants at that location since I bought my house in 1993 and most lasted only a couple years. Buckeys is a rousing success. While I enjoy eating there from time to time the food is nothing outstanding. One or two of the previous restaurants had somewhat better food, IMO. So why is Buckeys packed on weekends? Location? Moultonborough is up at the far end of the lake. It probably does draw locals because of reasonable prices. But it's a combination of a lot of factors.

There was just something about the Woodshed. When the owners got the food and management right, the place could be stellar. When they didn't, it was disappointing but people kept coming back, hoping for improvement. Recapturing that "something" would be almost impossible in a new building and the location would reduce the "visible new thing" factor.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:44 AM   #109
Chaselady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrymeeting View Post
I would mostly agree with you, but location does enter into our decision making when choosing to have a nice night out. After a nice, big, relaxing meal, a glass or two of wine (depending on who's driving), and maybe even dessert, the last thing I want to do late at night is drive for an hour or more, especially on the windy, single lane roads around the lake.

Though we loved the atmosphere at the Woodshed, and always enjoyed our meals there, we had not been there in many years. For us, the drive always discouraged it being a location of choice.
Location is a deciding factor. We will miss the Woodshed for the food and atmosphere...it was also an easy 15 minute drive for us. We never venture to the Gilford/ Laconia side. An hour is too long to drive after a night out.
I loved the "off the main road" site of the Woodshed.
Chaselady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 12:27 PM   #110
Gearhead

My wife and I will really miss it. We went there at least once a year and we made it a point to reserve a table on Valentines day. I guess it's just a memory now.

It's off the beaten path, but we also go to a similar place - Clay Hill farm in Cape Neddick, ME. The food quality is very good and the atmosphere is beautiful. We always ask for a table with a view on the garden.

GH
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 04:34 PM   #111
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Woodshed

has been my 'romantic' favorite in the area. Next best place I would pick the 'Corner House' in Sandwich or 'Tavern 27' in Laconia.

There use to be more, 'Nutmeg Inn', 'Red Hill Inn', 'Squam Lake Inn', to name a few and they are either close or became 'commercialized'.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:09 PM   #112
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
The fact that the restaurant had been in foreclosure indicates that it wasn't performing all that well, nostalgia and good will included. The new owners probably got it for a pretty good price under the circumstances. Would people go to an out of the way location in Moultonborough for a regular, reasonable cost to build restaurant? I doubt it. To "recreate" a Woodshed would be prohibitively expensive and somewhat artificial. It's a really poor business risk to sink money into such a venture and the 4 who invested are not starry eyed fools.
They got the Woodshed for a great price (somewhere just north of $500K), and from what I understand, insured it to cover that value. Given that the land did not burn down and it is valued around $75K, the owners would likely only have around $400K or so to build a restaurant, fit it out and fill it with food, wine, etc.

I don't see it working math-wise. Anyone that reads these threads knows that I was a very regular customer (and my teenage daughter worked there) at the Woodshed, so I write this with sadness.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Shreddy (01-14-2014)
Old 01-10-2014, 12:16 PM   #113
Merrymeeting

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
They got the Woodshed for a great price (somewhere just north of $500K), and from what I understand, insured it to cover that value. Given that the land did not burn down and it is valued around $75K, the owners would likely only have around $400K or so to build a restaurant, fit it out and fill it with food, wine, etc.

I don't see it working math-wise. Anyone that reads these threads knows that I was a very regular customer (and my teenage daughter worked there) at the Woodshed, so I write this with sadness.
I also expect that it would be a lot more expensive to rebuild due to the need to meet newer building and health regulations. I'm assuming that a restaurant that had been around that long probably had a lot of grandfathered configurations as laws and regulations changed over the years. Building new would require all of these be brought up to date. Most likely a more expensive proposition.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Merrymeeting For This Useful Post:
VitaBene (01-10-2014)
Old 04-16-2014, 05:48 PM   #114
secondcurve

Default Conclusion?

Did they ever determine the cause of the Woodshed fire? Was the insurance claim paid? It is strange that this story has been so quite. I am guessing there are no plans to rebuild at this point?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to secondcurve For This Useful Post:
Electric man (04-16-2014), Heading4thelake (04-16-2014)
Old 06-11-2014, 02:42 PM   #115
Just Sold

It is now 6 months after the fire. The property is up for sale but no price announced yet. http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...JUNE1114+ReCon
Old 06-11-2014, 06:04 PM   #116
Pineedles

There will be no restaurant built on the Woodshed site. People who know where to build a restaurant have looked at this site and say, "no way". It's too bad, but that's the way it is.
Pineedles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:18 PM   #117
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineedles View Post
There will be no restaurant built on the Woodshed site. People who know where to build a restaurant have looked at this site and say, "no way". It's too bad, but that's the way it is.
Ah, but it WAS successful at that site, was it not?

Quality counts for something, I suppose.

But dummied down to "just average," restaurants need to be conveniently located to make it.

I am reminded about a unique property in rural NC I went to once for dinner, Pollyrosa.

It was located far off the beaten path, convenient to nothing, and to nobody.

And yet ... it was absolutely packed, and did a great business.

The secret: true Southern home cooking, served family style.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:36 PM   #118
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Sold View Post
It is now 6 months after the fire. The property is up for sale but no price announced yet. http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...JUNE1114+ReCon
The people who owned the Woodshed should be tarred and feathered for letting it burn on their watch. I still find it amazing that no cause of fire was determined.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:54 PM   #119
wifi

I know very well how old/dry and the large size the building was, but what amazes me, is that it went from no fire (when the last employee left) to fully involved with fire out the windows in one hour. WOW

Takes almost as long to get a good fire going in the fireplace
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 07:55 PM   #120
jniff101

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
The people who owned the Woodshed should be tarred and feathered for letting it burn on their watch. I still find it amazing that no cause of fire was determined.
This comment sounds extremely ignorant. "Letting it burn on their watch"? So your telling me that if a homeowners house catches on fire in the middle of the night that they should be ashamed for "letting it happen"?
The woodshed was a fires best friend, unfortunately as soon as there was a spark there was nothing anyone could do. It's a shame what happened to such an amazing place but to point the finger at this point is just nonsense.
jniff101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jniff101 For This Useful Post:
Chaselady (06-11-2014), kauriel (06-12-2014), Major (06-12-2014), Sue Doe-Nym (06-12-2014), surfnsnow (06-11-2014), Winnigirl (06-12-2014)
Old 06-12-2014, 09:02 AM   #121
broguy

Default Off the beaten path

Quote:
Ah, but it WAS successful at that site, was it not?

Quality counts for something, I suppose

But dummied down to "just average," restaurants need to be conveniently located to make it.

I am reminded about a unique property in rural NC I went to once for dinner, Pollyrosa.

It was located far off the beaten path, convenient to nothing, and to nobody.
And yet ... it was absolutely packed, and did a great business.

Kind of like La Meridiana in Wilmot. Awesome Italian restaurant in the middle of nowhere, but does a great business. At least I assume it still does since I haven't been there in a while.

http://lameridianarestaurantnh.com
broguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 01:05 PM   #122
jeffk

I might suggest that the only unique thing about the location was that the Woodshed was there and it was build in an old farmhouse and barn. If you are thinking about building a restaurant from scratch (the only choice at that location now), wouldn't you try to put it in the best location you could? Sure, you could make such a unique and attractive restaurant that people would flock to it (and there are no guarantees of that) but wouldn't it be easier to flock to an easier to find location?
Old 06-12-2014, 06:14 PM   #123
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jniff101 View Post
This comment sounds extremely ignorant. "Letting it burn on their watch"? So your telling me that if a homeowners house catches on fire in the middle of the night that they should be ashamed for "letting it happen"?
The woodshed was a fires best friend, unfortunately as soon as there was a spark there was nothing anyone could do. It's a shame what happened to such an amazing place but to point the finger at this point is just nonsense.
I stand by my comment. You note "the Woodshed was a fire's best friend". I agree and that is why I feel more precaution should have been taken to avoid the disaster that occurred.
Old 06-12-2014, 06:20 PM   #124
secondcurve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffk View Post
I might suggest that the only unique thing about the location was that the Woodshed was there and it was build in an old farmhouse and barn. If you are thinking about building a restaurant from scratch (the only choice at that location now), wouldn't you try to put it in the best location you could? Sure, you could make such a unique and attractive restaurant that people would flock to it (and there are no guarantees of that) but wouldn't it be easier to flock to an easier to find location?
Jeff:

You are correct that the location in itself was not unique. However, the fact that a successful restaurant operated there for 40+ years and enjoyed a strong following does make the site unique. If a restaurant with similar charm and character were constructed on the site within the next few years many folks would return to give it a try and if they liked the product they would be repeat customers. Let's hope it happens but I agree the odds are not favorable.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:35 AM   #125
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts
Default I don't know about that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondcurve View Post
While I somewhat agree with your second sentence, I cannot fathom how you would write the first.

4 people bought the Woodshed at auction and wanted nothing more for it than success. If you know anything about the construction of the place, it was a dry old barn that then had another structure built around it. It had no sprinklers.

There are some thoughts and even potentially well founded rumors about how it started. However, anyone that saw it burning knows how fast and hot that fire was destroying likely any solid evidence of how it started.

The Woodshed was my go to restaurant, my 16 YO daughter worked there (she has the distinction of being the Shed's last busser) and we are certainly deeply saddened that it is gone, however I have no animosity toward the owners.

Sometimes investigations such as these take longer than we like... isn't there still a murder investigation going on in Wolfeboro years later?

Last edited by VitaBene; 06-13-2014 at 02:52 PM.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VitaBene For This Useful Post:
Heading4thelake (06-13-2014), KPW (06-13-2014)