Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-02-2024, 11:28 AM   #1
bigdog

Default Best Town to live in ?

Looking for peoples thoughts on best town to live at the Big Lake.
Contemplating moving from current location partly because of taxes.

I'm retired and see most of my income going to pay real estate taxes, so this is a serious factor. I currently have property in Gilford, but no sure I can remain there ?

Looking at towns that have the best ‘bang for the buck’ !
Taxes, Shopping, Restaurants, Medical, Social activities, etc

I have listed the towns I am giving serious thought, not necessarily in any order: Meredith, Alton, Wolfeboro, Sanbornton, Belmont, Gilmanton, Tilton.
Not interested in towns of Moultonborough Tuftonboro, Laconia, Ctr Harbor.

Thanks in advance, for your feedback
bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bigdog For This Useful Post:
lakewind (01-08-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 12:00 PM   #2
John Mercier

Think in terms more of the property.
With all that is up in the air on SWEPT and how that is all going to be solved, Gilford may be one of the better locations... just not early enough to tell.
John Mercier is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to John Mercier For This Useful Post:
Biggd (01-02-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 12:07 PM   #3
Biggd

Thanked 1,071 Times in 676 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post

I'm retired and see most of my income going to pay real estate taxes, so this is a serious factor. I currently have property in Gilford, but no sure I can remain there ?

I have listed the towns I am giving serious thought, not necessarily in any order: Meredith, Alton, Wolfeboro, Sanbornton, Belmont, Gilmanton, Tilton.

I'm in Meredith and I love it but I'm not sure if it's that much better than Gilford. I had a home in Sanbornton, taxes were very high and not much to offer in that town.
If I was looking today Gilford would probably be one of the towns at the top of my list.
Biggd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 01:07 PM   #4
nj2nh

Default Perspective

Perhaps a little perspective might help. I live in NJ where I pay income taxes, property taxes, and sales tax. My modest little house costs me $22,000 annually in property taxes.

My parents’ house in Alton on the water that goes back 100 years? $7800 annually and that includes the NH view tax. The value of that house is the same as mine in NJ plus I pay income tax and that pesky sales tax.

If only I could move north.
Old 01-02-2024, 01:23 PM   #5
John Mercier

NH doesn't have a view tax.
And Alton is one of the town's at risk under the current constitutional crisis.
pjard (01-02-2024)
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2024, 02:51 PM   #6
ITD

Yeah, NH doesn't have a view tax, but if you have a view you pay more taxes. Especially if it's of water.
ITD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ITD For This Useful Post:
Biggd (01-02-2024), lakewind (01-08-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 02:59 PM   #7
John Mercier

Anything that makes a property more valuable is assessed as part of the market value process.
secondcurve (01-04-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 03:37 PM   #8
ITD

Erm, if you say so...
Old 01-02-2024, 03:49 PM   #9
Mr. V

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj2nh View Post
Perhaps a little perspective might help. I live in NJ where I pay income taxes, property taxes, and sales tax.
My folks moved from NJ to NH, and who can blame them?

They lived in south Jersey; both worked in Philadelphia.

The taxation was brutal: they paid NJ income tax, Pennsylvania income tax, and Philadelphia city income tax, plus NJ had a sales tax and a high property tax.
Old 01-02-2024, 03:52 PM   #10
John Mercier

Do you see somewhere on your tax bill that it states ''view tax''?
Somewhere on your assessment?

But you may have given us the perfect way to raise the $500M we need at the State level. Since everyone is complaining already about something that doesn't exist... we should give them something to complain about.
lakewind (01-08-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 04:17 PM   #11
MeredithMan

Quote:

I would suggest that while the tax bill is an important consideration, the choice of where to live really centers around "Quality of Life" and does the town have the amenities and services that you want and / or need. When we moved to NH full-time a number of years ago, we ultimately decided on Bedford to be our primary residence. The taxes are not trivial in this town and we do not have kids in the schools. However, it checked off all of our boxes...great doctors and dentists; multiple grocery stores/shopping/restaurants, (i.e. "civilization"); very close to Manchester airport and reasonably close to Logan, (we both travel for work); An easy ride to the lake; and lastly, while the real estate market can be unpredictable, it "should" be a decent resale when it is time to retire since the town is a desirable location.

Regarding the lake towns on your list, we've been in Meredith for 12 years and love it. The Main Street village is very quaint and is doing well, with its shops and restaurants. "Box Store" shopping is a short drive to Gilford or Tilton. Over the years, we have looked very seriously at a few places for sale in Moultonboro that would give us more house for half the tax bill, but ultimately decided not to pursue them, as going to the grocery store and back would be an hour+ excursion. So again, I would recommend don't move for the tax bill; move for the better quality of life, (if there is one).

Good luck in your decision.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 04:43 PM   #12
Descant

Thanked 1,518 Times in 985 Posts

Do we really NEED $500MM? Didn't the legislature cut the budget by 8% in 2009 and create a new floor for lower spending? In Chris Sununu's first term, we cut some (business) taxes and raised revenues. In the mid-teens, we eliminated taxes on NH Trusts, even for those who weren't residents and money flowed in for re-investment. Next year, we will eliminate the I & D tax and all the DRA folks who administer that program can result in lower personnel expenses, or be assigned to more "profitable" pursuits. All us retirees who need I & D income will have more money to spend.

Raising taxes to raise more money should not be the default option in a government budget process.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
ACME on the Broads (01-03-2024), bigdog (01-02-2024), ishoot308 (01-02-2024), pjard (01-02-2024), TiltonBB (01-03-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 06:18 PM   #13
ishoot308

Thanked 4,942 Times in 1,917 Posts
Default Well Said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descant View Post
Raising taxes to raise more money should not be the default option in a government budget process.
Well said and Amen to that Descant!!

Dan
Old 01-02-2024, 06:20 PM   #14
ITD

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mercier View Post
Do you see somewhere on your tax bill that it states ''view tax''?
Somewhere on your assessment?

But you may have given us the perfect way to raise the $500M we need at the State level. Since everyone is complaining already about something that doesn't exist... we should give them something to complain about.
The state needs to control spending not raise more money. As to your first question, reread my first post on this matter. Your answer is very clearly there.
Old 01-02-2024, 06:23 PM   #15
ITD

Quote:
Do we really NEED $500MM? Didn't the legislature cut the budget by 8% in 2009 and create a new floor for lower spending? In Chris Sununu's first term, we cut some (business) taxes and raised revenues. In the mid-teens, we eliminated taxes on NH Trusts, even for those who weren't residents and money flowed in for re-investment. Next year, we will eliminate the I & D tax and all the DRA folks who administer that program can result in lower personnel expenses, or be assigned to more "profitable" pursuits. All us retirees who need I & D income will have more money to spend.

Nailed it Descant, and while I hope the I and D tax sunsets, I'm not holding my breath, the rhetoric is going strong to bring it back, they just haven't gotten around to saying it out loud yet.
Old 01-02-2024, 06:38 PM   #16
8gv

Xanadu, it's Xanadu.
8gv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 07:02 PM   #17
John Mercier

Quote:

You are failing to differentiate between taxes and rates. Lower rates lead to more economic activity and generally larger tax revenue.

The first option the budget will need about $500M to replace SWEPT and stop the donor community situation from returning. The SWEPT would be gone, but the new mechanism would need to be in place. The Legislature would need to act to remove the mandates pushing the grants up.

The second option is to keep SWEPT, accept the donor communities - their taxes would go higher; the Legislature would still need to remove the mandates pushing the grants up.

The third option is to keep the SWEPT, accept the donor communities; the Legislature does not remove the mandates... but constitutionally must come up with the revenues to pay for the mandates.

That all needs to be done in nearly one year.

No tax rate reduction will increase revenue to the State by $500M in one year's time... that is just math. Never mind if the Legislature fails to act on the mandate dismissal and needs to raise as much as $1B

So the budget process has to start with constitutionally required costs... and raise funding for at least those...
That means at a bear minimum the Legislature must find $500M in revenue in other sources, I get lot of landowners to say ''I love being a donor community''.

Politically both suck.
Old 01-02-2024, 07:06 PM   #18
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITD View Post
Nailed it Descant, and while I hope the I and D tax sunsets, I'm not holding my breath, the rhetoric is going strong to bring it back, they just haven't gotten around to saying it out loud yet.
So you'd be happy being a ''Donor Community'' tax payer?
If not, they need the $500M to replace the SWEPT.
It isn't an increase in the budget, just the mechanism by which it is raised.
Old 01-02-2024, 07:08 PM   #19
John Mercier

Quote:
The state needs to control spending not raise more money. As to your first question, reread my first post on this matter. Your answer is very clearly there.
Not really. Unless your suggesting that a view doesn't make property more valuable. If that is the case, plant a lot of bushes between you and the water.
View is gone... now see if the valuation of your property drops.
Old 01-02-2024, 07:10 PM   #20
bigdog

Boy, did I open a Pandora's box,I just want suggested opinions on towns, I honestly didn't think the responses would go in this direction
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bigdog For This Useful Post:
Biggd (01-02-2024), FlyingScot (01-03-2024), JilianBlue (02-18-2024), secondcurve (01-04-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 07:21 PM   #21
ishoot308

Default Gilford

Quote:
Boy, did I open a Pandora's box,I just want suggested opinions on towns, I honestly didn't think the responses would go in this direction
Being born and raised in NH and having had the opportunity to live in multiple different towns in the southern half of the state, I can say for certain that Gilford has been our favorite by far! Friendly people, clean, low crime and the ladies at the town hall are the best! We honestly don’t find the taxes to be that bad for what the town has to offer.

Remember the grass isn’t always greener…..well, you know the rest!

Good luck in your search!

Dan
Biggd (01-03-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 07:48 PM   #22
John Mercier

Quote:
Because it is probably not the town.

Gilford has some property that is seeing assessment increases above the average, and other below the average.

The properties seeing the increase above the average is having more taxation shifted to it, while the others are having less taxation shifted to them.

And even with that shifting, it is about finding what size fits your personal needs and lifestyle.

Gilford, Laconia, Meredith, or even Wolfeboro... it is going to be a more personal decision.
Old 01-02-2024, 08:35 PM   #23
codeman671

After living on the seacoast for almost all my life we are happy as can be to live in Gilford. My businesses are still in Dover so I have to commute, but hate it down there. Dover has gone to hell. Talk about taxes! Gilford is very inexpensive compared to the seacoast.

You may save a few bucks living in Tuftonboro or Moultonborough, but you would be very isolated. I have tons of privacy, a killer view, and can be on my boat in 7 minutes. 10 min to a grocery store, Lowes, concerts, and various restaurants.
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
pjard (01-03-2024)
Old 01-02-2024, 09:15 PM   #24
Resident 2B

If we were to buy again in the Lakes Region, it would likely be in Gilford. We also like Meredith, but all things considered, Gilford wins head-to-head right now.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2024, 11:25 PM   #25
Descant

From John Mercier:
"So the budget process has to start with constitutionally required costs... and raise funding for at least those...
That means at a bear (sic) minimum the Legislature must find $500M in revenue in other sources, I get lot of landowners to say ''I love being a donor community''.

Your basic language is wrong. The Legislature does not need to raise $500MM, they only need to allocate $500MM, if, in fact, that is the real number. ("M" is for thousand. If you want million, use "MM".) The budget year is after the even year election, i.e. 2025. 2024 is not a budget year. In most election years, about one third of the legislature turns over. Whatever spending bills are proposed for 2024 action, will be voted to be held over (and then re-filed) for a budget year.

Again, I apologize to the OP for following posts that go off course. Back to best town.

I pretty much grew up in Gilford and Laconia although technically not a full time resident(college, Navy). I always felt that if I were in Meredith or Alton, I had to go to Laconia/Gilford for services, or, in the case of Meredith, I had to find alternate routes in the summer. I still like Gilford.
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
tbonies (01-03-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 06:57 AM   #26
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,153 Times in 900 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
I can say for certain that Gilford has been our favorite by far! Friendly people, clean, low crime and the ladies at the town hall are the best! We honestly don’t find the taxes to be that bad for what the town has to offer.
Dan
In my opinion Gilford is great. The many options for dining and shopping are close by and having a Lowes 10 minutes away is very helpful. Some days when working on projects around the house I end up at Lowes 2 or 3 times (due to poor planning on my part) That would be a painful drive if it was 45 minutes away.

I second the opinion about the ladies at town hall. The Town Clerk, Danielle LaFond, and the entire staff are helpful and personable every time I have gone in there. They handle every transaction with the attitude that they are there to help you. Not all town halls are like that. It is the same at the Gilford recycle center. A great helpful crew.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 07:50 AM   #27
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Lakes Region

The Lakes Region area has taken a real beating property-wise.

My family moved from Gilford to Laconia because of taxes since the state took over evaluation in the 80s, newspaper articles of 'view' tax, etc. abound.

Now Winnisquam is taking a big hit and so is Newfound Lake! The area will soon be taken over by millionaires!

We've been looking at the Rangely Lake area in Maine. It reminds me of what it was like in the Lakes Region back in the 50s, and 60s. I can see why Ralph Bayre moved back home!

If you want tax relief you must get off the lake, unfortunately. While my taxes have taken a beating, the landowners that are not near a body of water are reaping the benefits of low evaluation, yet they are the ones benefiting from year-round town and state services. Just think of those families that rent in multi-family units struck gold!

All the more reason why the property tax system should be replaced. Perhaps a VAT system?
Grant (01-11-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 08:47 AM   #28
Biggd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
The Lakes Region area has taken a real beating property-wise.

My family moved from Gilford to Laconia because of taxes since the state took over evaluation in the 80s, newspaper articles of 'view' tax, etc. abound.

Now Winnisquam is taking a big hit and so is Newfound Lake! The area will soon be taken over by millionaires!

We've been looking at the Rangely Lake area in Maine. It reminds me of what it was like in the Lakes Region back in the 50s, and 60s. I can see why Ralph Bayre moved back home!

If you want tax relief you must get off the lake, unfortunately. While my taxes have taken a beating, the landowners that are not near a body of water are reaping the benefits of low evaluation, yet they are the ones benefiting from year-round town and state services. Just think of those families that rent in multi-family units struck gold!

All the more reason why the property tax system should be replaced. Perhaps a VAT system?
Taxes in Maine are no bargain. On the plus side, if you have waterfront property you can sell for big bucks, buy off the water, and bank some money. People with property off the lake don't have that option.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (01-03-2024), Flylady (01-05-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 09:27 AM   #29
ishoot308

Default Huh??

Quote:
I guess I don't understand....You want to leave NH because of the taxes and move to a MORE tax burdened state to save money??

Maine is in the top 10 of the most tax burdened states in the entire country at a whopping 12.4%!....and if I am not mistaken their overall property tax alone is higher than NH!!

Sorry, but this makes no sense...

Dan
Biggd (01-03-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 09:58 AM   #30
Major

Thanked 1,000 Times in 415 Posts
Default Not Laconia

If we had to do it over again, we would have built our home in Gilford or Meredith, not Laconia. At the time (2007/2008), my dad owned a lot in SD/LB, and it made sense. Laconia was different than it is now. That said, we greatly enjoy SD/LB, so that makes it somewhat palatable.

As well documented, Laconia has gone downhill the past 10+ years. Instead of investing in businesses to attract middle class families, Laconia has instead invested in Section 8 housing and rehab centers. Now, downtown Laconia is chock full of homeless tweekers making it unsafe, especially for women. My wife used to go on the WOW trail for walks. She would never consider using it now.

Even SD/LB isn't immune from the crime. We have homeless people walking through the SD/LB property. They follow the railroad tracks, and eventually work their way to the Laconia State School. We had a homeless person attempt to break into our home in October. Thankfully, the doors were locked.
Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 10:47 AM   #31
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

We live in West Alton which is convenient to services in Gilford & Laconia but with lower taxes. Also, a short drive to Fay’s and the Glendale docks.

Alan
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 11:28 AM   #32
Descant

I read the OP again, and been following the thread. It really sounds like BigDog is already in the best position. If you move someplace else because of property taxes, you might save a couple of thousand a year, but your other expenses will likely remain constant or even go up as you re-establish in a new location. A second opinion on the retirement plan might give a better perspective.
Old 01-03-2024, 11:58 AM   #33
John Mercier

You really can't ''invest in businesses'' as a municipality.
Laconia has expanded the options for light industry over the years, but didn't pay attention to the effects of BPT/BET, energy, and transportation costs in the equation. Franklin learned that when the negotiations over Polyclad broke down and the decision was to relocate as many workers to plants down south and out west.
We had seen the same thing just a few years before when Hadco was purchased by Sanmina - so we knew the drill.

The idea to lower BPT/BET to at least equal to the lowest rates in the northeast quad was a long negotiation also. Havenstein felt an immediate drop of 2.5% would work. The math stated that dropping the rate would increase growth as an offset, but in years... not a single cycle. The thought was about 5/10th percent each budget... the proposal came out 4/10ths each budget cycle, and the Legislature finally somewhat settled on 2/10ths every cycle. There are voices in opposition, but they are easy to put down as the growth of businesses means a growth in jobs (or at least not the loss of).

Laconia turned to tourism... but maybe didn't do it as well as Wolfeboro or Meredith. Which is strange, since Meredith has Rte 3 between the town retail area and the lake - a heavily travelled route.
Old 01-03-2024, 12:06 PM   #34
John Mercier

Quote:
From John Mercier:
"So the budget process has to start with constitutionally required costs... and raise funding for at least those...
That means at a bear (sic) minimum the Legislature must find $500M in revenue in other sources, I get lot of landowners to say ''I love being a donor community''.

Your basic language is wrong. The Legislature does not need to raise $500MM, they only need to allocate $500MM, if, in fact, that is the real number. ("M" is for thousand. If you want million, use "MM".) The budget year is after the even year election, i.e. 2025. 2024 is not a budget year. In most election years, about one third of the legislature turns over. Whatever spending bills are proposed for 2024 action, will be voted to be held over (and then re-filed) for a budget year.

Again, I apologize to the OP for following posts that go off course. Back to best town.

I pretty much grew up in Gilford and Laconia although technically not a full time resident(college, Navy). I always felt that if I were in Meredith or Alton, I had to go to Laconia/Gilford for services, or, in the case of Meredith, I had to find alternate routes in the summer. I still like Gilford.
Thank you for the correction on the abbreviation of MM instead of M.
The SWEPT is currently unconstitutional... barring any changes... the State cannot collect it come June - doesn't matter if it is a budget year.

The Legislature this year would need to change to collect and redistribute with donor community, or repeal/replace.

There is not $500MM (my estimate based on the current collection of the SWEPT and using a less efficient taxing mechanism) for the Legislature to cut from the expenditure of the unrestricted funds - the budget already having been past.

When it does the next budget... it may tweak the expenditure to recover the nearly $1 Billion for the two year cycle that budget will represent.

It may ask the stay of the courts... but they are going to expect some action on the situation rather than just pushing it off and continuing an unconstitutional situation.
Descant (01-03-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 08:06 PM   #35
samosetguy

Default Gilford

I'm not sure why you didn't mention Gilford as an option. We're in Gilford. I think Gilford is the best option for lots of reasons (e.g. stores, restaurants, lake access, Glendale, beaches (Ellacoya, town beach), BofNH Pavilian, etc.). However, it really depends on how much money you want to spend and what's available to purchase. if you can find something on the water that fits your budget but it's in another town, I wouldn't let the town drive your decision. If it's off season, the driving between towns shouldn't be too difficult. If it's in-season, you're not going to be able to get anywhere regardless of where you are.
samosetguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2024, 08:09 PM   #36
LoveLakeLife

Quote:
Thank you for the correction on the abbreviation of MM instead of M.

The SWEPT is currently unconstitutional... barring any changes... the State cannot collect it come June - doesn't matter if it is a budget year.

The Legislature this year would need to change to collect and redistribute with donor community, or repeal/replace.

There is not $500MM (my estimate based on the current collection of the SWEPT and using a less efficient taxing mechanism) for the Legislature to cut from the expenditure of the unrestricted funds - the budget already having been past.

When it does the next budget... it may tweak the expenditure to recover the nearly $1 Billion for the two year cycle that budget will represent.

It may ask the stay of the courts... but they are going to expect some action on the situation rather than just pushing it off and continuing an unconstitutional situation.
In Roman numerals M is 1000. In common parlance, K is a thousand (kilo) and M is a million. I vote for the latter use. The former use just looks weird. Who’s with me? lol

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
LoveLakeLife is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLakeLife For This Useful Post:
ApS (01-04-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 08:14 PM   #37
SAB1

This is really a personal decision and based on what you want from your living arrangement. Moultonboro, tuftonboro, wolfeboro are totally different lake living styles from meredith, Gilford side of lake. Nothing is at your finger tips on the tuftonboro side. It quieter, more rustic old lake charm though it is slowing eroding toward the other side.
SAB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SAB1 For This Useful Post:
Grant (01-11-2024), Stevebvt (01-06-2024)
Old 01-03-2024, 08:40 PM   #38
bigdog

FYI to all.....I'm moving to 'down-size', house is way too big for us.

I love Gilford, however, not sure I can find a smaller house in town, inventory is always low.

Yeah, taxes are high, but I guess I get more than other towns can offer for amenities. Still would like to explore other options...

Someone said here 'the grass is not always greener on the other side',
maybe I should heed that advice......
Old 01-04-2024, 08:31 AM   #39
Biggd

Quote:
FYI to all.....I'm moving to 'down-size', house is way too big for us.

I love Gilford, however, not sure I can find a smaller house in town, inventory is always low.

Yeah, taxes are high, but I guess I get more than other towns can offer for amenities. Still would like to explore other options...

Someone said here 'the grass is not always greener on the other side',
maybe I should heed that advice......
I think you're going through what every boomer is going through right now, wanting to downsize, but realizing that there really isn't anything out there to downsize to that's affordable. That's why I think the market is going to stay strong as many people are deciding that staying put is the best option right now, esp if you have a sub 3% mortgage or no mortgage. That will keep inventory low for quite some time. Builders aren't going to help because there's not enough profit in building smaller homes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
Rockman33 (01-04-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 10:16 AM   #40
WinnisquamZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggd View Post
I think you're going through what every boomer is going through right now, wanting to downsize, but realizing that there really isn't anything out there to downsize to that's affordable. That's why I think the market is going to stay strong as many people are deciding that staying put is the best option right now, esp if you have a sub 3% mortgage or no mortgage. That will keep inventory low for quite some time. Builders aren't going to help because there's not enough profit in building smaller homes.
Another factor many overlook is security. Unless an affordable community is deeded over 55 It will eventually become low income or section 8. Retirees need the security of a gated community. Very few in this area
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 11:54 AM   #41
Descant

Default Section 8

I think Section 8 is misunderstood. I have had tenants who received section 8 assistance (1 & 2 family buildings in a neighborhood, not an apartment complex). Nobody would ever know they were part of the program. NH Housing can also provide assistance with buying a house.
Concentrating one demographic to the exclusion of others, whether section 8 or McMansions doesn't appear to me to enhance the overall community, but that's what we have with many NH zoning codes.

BTW, Laconia and Wolfeboro are not on BigDog's approved list, but both have very nice retirement communities (Taylor) with single family homes and many services aimed at retirees.
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
FlyingScot (01-04-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 01:11 PM   #42
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default My two cents worth.

My wife and I moved into Alton Bay about the 1st of May in 1996. We moved into my mom's house, which she and Dad bought in 1977. It is about a half mile off the lake, just outside of the Sandy Point area on the west side of the bay.

Love the area. Restaurants include Shibley's at the Pier (somewhat seasonal), Pop's (seasonal). Shibley's Drive in (seasonal), Bay diner, Foster's, Dockside, and Ackerly's. Short trip to Johnson's in New Durham, several spots in Wolfeboro, a few in Barnstead, and several in the Gilford / Laconia area.

Overall tax rate is good. Population is right at 6,000.

Quaint area in the bay and small business up town. Catholic Church and a small church.

For me, age mid to late 70's, it's a great place to live.

Dave
Old 01-04-2024, 01:12 PM   #43
Major

Default Section 8

Merrimac must have a different demographic than Laconia. I've had experience with Section 8 housing and it's clientele since 1979. For every "nice" family, there are many, many more "not so nice" families. One thing they have in common is that they are allergic to working. Very few, if any, have full time jobs. Almost without exception, when a tenant moves out, the entire unit needs to be remodeled, sometimes down to the studs. Several years ago, one of my sons assisted my dad in cleaning out an unoccupied unit. He could not believe what he saw.

John correctly stated that it is difficult to invest in business at a municipal level, it takes partnership with the state. However, at a local level, we can limit the amount of low income housing. (I guess even that is subject to Federal law as I think of it.) Instead of providing incentives to create low income housing, maybe there is a way to provide those incentives (e.g., tax relief) to investors to rehab single family homes. However, given the makeup of the planning board, and its thirst for tax dollars, I hardly think they would consider making such a long term investment.

One thing we do not need are rehab centers. The City could prohibit those tomorrow if it had the motivation to do so. Also, although probably initiated with the best intent, we don't need facilities like the one on New Salem Street, which has become an attractive nuisance. I've heard there is a facility in Manchester that shuttles homeless people to that facility for help. Great!
Old 01-04-2024, 02:03 PM   #44
garysanfran

One consideration about Sec. 8, is that you will have tenants (I call them residents), who are home most of the time and thus create more wear-and-tear.

I've worked with dozens of management companies and public housing agencies, San Francisco and Oakland Housing Authorities, etc.

I've stepped around a murder site at Acorn Housing, Oakland, after a security guard was shot one hour earlier.

I had many Sect. 8 landlord clients. The stories I heard were amazing. Made the movie "Pacific Heights" seem tame. I was interviewed extensively for a HUD publication entitled "Public Housing: Creating Drug Free Neighborhoods".

I believe in any environment, it takes one demented person to ruin a day. In those environs, the percentages increase logarithmically.

The Sect. 8 that worked best, were small landlords with units in good neighborhoods who did thorough background checks.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 02:40 PM   #45
Woody38

Default downsizing

We had a 5,000s/f house once. My office was on the first floor. After retirement that house was just too large for us and two dogs. Next, bought a 55+ condo which did not work out well. Next was a ~11-1200s/f house. That was way too small for us. Therefore, the current house is 3385 s/f and a lot for the family.
The California house is 2100 s/f+. About right. The important thing is the layout of the house.

I am a retired workaholic and continuing aquaholic
Woody38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 02:49 PM   #46
Mr. V

Wife and I both were raised in multi-story homes and decided to buy a one story home with retirement in mind.

What a great decision.

Now there's no worries about falling down the stairs, or being unable to navigate them.
Old 01-04-2024, 02:55 PM   #47
Descant

Thanks, Major and Gary. Obviously, my experience is at the other end of the spectrum. And, yes, small landlord and thorough background checks, although there were a few learning steps in the 80's.
Old 01-04-2024, 06:46 PM   #48
John Mercier

Laconia single family homes generally get rehabbed whenever they change owners. But even some long time owners have been in to see me to get projects started.

Not sure that low income housing has really as much of a stigma to it that it once had. Representative Littlefield instead of spending 100s of hours in Concord for $100 annually could have spent that time at a second job and made significantly more; but would have lost his low income housing. So it seems to be much more acceptable across the political spectrum.

As for the builders not willing to construct smaller homes because the money isn't there... they are building garages, decks, and screen porches... which cost far less than a small home.
They just build whatever their customer requests.

Taylor Community isn't inexpensive. So what you save in taxes in Gilford may quickly be eaten up in other costs.
And most 55 and older communities will become low income... incomes for most tend to fall after retirement; hence why costs become a concern. If they weren't a concern, they would live at Taylor Community.
Old 01-04-2024, 08:31 PM   #49
Biggd

Quote:
Laconia single family homes generally get rehabbed whenever they change owners. But even some long time owners have been in to see me to get projects started.

Not sure that low income housing has really as much of a stigma to it that it once had. Representative Littlefield instead of spending 100s of hours in Concord for $100 annually could have spent that time at a second job and made significantly more; but would have lost his low income housing. So it seems to be much more acceptable across the political spectrum.

As for the builders not willing to construct smaller homes because the money isn't there... they are building garages, decks, and screen porches... which cost far less than a small home.
They just build whatever their customer requests.

Taylor Community isn't inexpensive. So what you save in taxes in Gilford may quickly be eaten up in other costs.
And most 55 and older communities will become low income... incomes for most tend to fall after retirement; hence why costs become a concern. If they weren't a concern, they would live at Taylor Community.
I should have said, builders aren't building small spec homes. Sure, they will build a small custom home for a customer but in many cases that downsized home is going to cost much more than the larger, older home they just sold unless you're lucky enough to already own a plot of land. And those projects are small potatoes, they aren't going to make a dent in the lack of inventory.

Last edited by Biggd; 01-04-2024 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-04-2024, 09:21 PM   #50
John Mercier

A spec home is built on the speculation that you may sell it in the future. Since we currently know that any home built will sell... there are some building such.

The builder will also build a basic home... even the ones that I have posted online. But when the builder is building to a customer's wishes, it is the customer choosing the higher end custom options that make the home more expensive.

The home is just the summation of the parts and the skill it takes to put them together. Some of my customers want quality, but basic components. Other demand from me high end solutions that they have seen on the internet.

For instance, I can supply a white vinyl window with a lifetime warranty at any level of efficiency within the spectrum... but many customer choose the wood windows that will not have a lifetime warranty, and may not have the same efficiency, or a variation of the vinyl that increases the cost of the windows.

The wood windows in a new home could be standard sizing, while replacing them in an older home may require higher cost custom sizing.

What we see with new homes is splurging in unusual ways. The builder doesn't really care... unless of course the new units require some unusual means to secure them. In the older homes, landscaping has to be factored in.

The same goes for doors. A six panel fiberglass lifetime will cost less than a glassed unit or one designed to have a wood-look and fall into a trendy category.
Old 01-04-2024, 09:42 PM   #51
Biggd

Most boomers like me, that want to downsize, don't want to spend more on a smaller home than the larger one they are selling. So, it really doesn't pay to downsize in today's market unless you are moving to another state where prices are cheaper. If you are younger and in your peak earning years, then trading up to a more expensive home is not an issue.
The OP wants to downsize from home in Gilford to a smaller home in another town in the lakes region to save money. Unless he's selling a waterfront to buy off the water I don't think he's going to save much money and he's already living in one of the better towns around the lake.
I will make this my last post because this thread has gone way off track.
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggd For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (01-04-2024)
Old 01-04-2024, 11:44 PM   #52
John Mercier

It isn't off track.

The market is tight. There really is not much to buy in any price range.
And stick built or manufactured might be the only options for a fair amount of time to come.
Old 01-05-2024, 07:46 AM   #53
TiltonBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major View Post
Merrimac must have a different demographic than Laconia. I've had experience with Section 8 housing and it's clientele since 1979. For every "nice" family, there are many, many more "not so nice" families. One thing they have in common is that they are allergic to working. Very few, if any, have full time jobs. Almost without exception, when a tenant moves out, the entire unit needs to be remodeled, sometimes down to the studs. Several years ago, one of my sons assisted my dad in cleaning out an unoccupied unit. He could not believe what he saw.
!
I could not agree more. I have had rental property since 1978 and during those years have probably had about 30 section 8 tenants. 2 or 3 may have needed help, and I was glad to see them get it. The rest were in for the free ride, most worked cash jobs so their income did not show, and some even dealt drugs. I reported some tenants to the administrators of the program but they did nothing. More people on welfare is job security for them.

Without fail, none of them had any respect for the property. Annual section 8 inspections required that anything the tenant broke had to be fixed for the apartment to remain qualified, of course repairs were at the landlords expense. One tenant lost her keys so she walked around the house, poked two holes in every screen to access the latch and remove the screen, to see if the windows were unlocked. None were.

The courts are no help. Laconia District Court under a previous head judge was the worst. I have about 20 judgments against former tenants for as much as $8,000. No money will ever be collected.

I turned the last 8 unit building into condos and sold it off. The shortage of low income rental housing is directly related to the laws that favor tenants but in the long run hurt them even more. The politicians will never get it.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
ApS (01-05-2024), Biggd (01-05-2024), Descant (01-05-2024), ishoot308 (01-05-2024), Longtimelurker (01-05-2024), Major (01-05-2024), MRD (01-06-2024), stingray (01-06-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 08:27 AM   #54
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
The courts are no help. Laconia District Court under a previous head judge was the worst. I have about 20 judgments against former tenants for as much as $8,000. No money will ever be collected.
Judge Carroll is a very nice man. Unfortunately, I can see that he would be of little or no help in dealing with deadbeats. If you ever wanted a snapshot of today's society/culture, spend a morning in the Laconia District Court, and watch the parade of losers, one after another, who cannot live within societal norms. Almost no one works. No one has money for judgments or fines. And the judge, whether it was Judge Carroll or whoever replaced him, are excessively sympathetic to their plight, even the criminals. And that's the problem. Rather than hammering these folks with tough love, we coddle and sympathize. However, heaven forbid you are a productive member of society, there is no such mercy or grace. The full extent of the law will be employed.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
ishoot308 (01-05-2024), Longtimelurker (01-07-2024), TiltonBB (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 08:54 AM   #55
ApS

Red face Hence the Phrase...

A work-free drug-place...

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2024, 09:56 AM   #56
TiltonBB

Quote:
Judge Carroll is a very nice man. Unfortunately, I can see that he would be of little or no help in dealing with deadbeats. If you ever wanted a snapshot of today's society/culture, spend a morning in the Laconia District Court, and watch the parade of losers, one after another, who cannot live within societal norms. Almost no one works. No one has money for judgments or fines. And the judge, whether it was Judge Carroll or whoever replaced him, are excessively sympathetic to their plight, even the criminals. And that's the problem. Rather than hammering these folks with tough love, we coddle and sympathize. However, heaven forbid you are a productive member of society, there is no such mercy or grace. The full extent of the law will be employed.
You hit the nail on the head. I could not have said it better.

I have spent many mornings in that court and watched the lazy deadbeats get coddled. They get a kiss on the cheek and a pat on the bum and get told to try harder. The judges know most of the defendants by first name but it doesn't change things. There are many "frequent flyers" in Laconia District Court.

Maybe if they revoked driver's licenses for unpaid court judgments it would have some impact. Maybe if they told the defendants you have three months to start making payments on this judgment or you will spend some time in jail it would make a difference. Five days in jail and another 60 days to pay. No action? 30 days in jail and another 60 days to pay. At some point it would make a difference.

Laconia has a good police department but in my opinion, a lot of Laconia's problems stem from a weak court system.
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
Major (01-05-2024)
Old 01-05-2024, 11:03 AM   #57
garysanfran

If there is no barrier to stop bad behavior, bad behavior will not be stopped.
Old 01-05-2024, 11:55 AM   #58
Descant

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
You hit the nail on the head. I could not have said it better.

I have spent many mornings in that court and watched the lazy deadbeats get coddled. They get a kiss on the cheek and a pat on the bum and get told to try harder. The judges know most of the defendants by first name but it doesn't change things. There are many "frequent flyers" in Laconia District Court.

Maybe if they revoked driver's licenses for unpaid court judgments it would have some impact. Maybe if they told the defendants you have three months to start making payments on this judgment or you will spend some time in jail it would make a difference. Five days in jail and another 60 days to pay. No action? 30 days in jail and another 60 days to pay. At some point it would make a difference.

Laconia has a good police department but in my opinion, a lot of Laconia's problems stem from a weak court system.
I'll agree that the laws frequently seem to favor the tenants, and judges don't want to force people out into the street. However, fines and jail just make it more difficult to get a job and make any payments. People who lose their driver's license just drive anyway. If you can get an MVR as part of the application, it frequently lists "Driving after Suspension. When you ask, "I got stopped for ignoring a light or stop sign."

My experience was with the Manchester Housing office and courts in Merrimack and Milford, mostly for evictions where I had no problems. In one instance, I even collected back rent in monthly payments. Usually, you just have to figure that as lost money.
Old 01-05-2024, 06:41 PM   #59
John Mercier

I don't know that Section 8 is tightening the housing supply.
Laconia has about the same number of residents as 1980, and what at least appears to me without a count to be a pretty broad expansion of housing units since that time.

It is true the city has a homeless problem.
And it cannot be simply stated an issue with drugs - both illegal and legal.
It also, as in many other areas, has too many that put wants before needs.
But from a purely cost vs surrounding services... there are areas in the city easy enough to reach the bypass and shopping in Gilford, or Gunstock if that is your destination.

Just not currently that many smaller homes for sale within the Laconia borders either.
Old 01-06-2024, 12:03 AM   #60
garysanfran

When you screen an applicant , on any kind of housing, you are looking for the ability to pay and any behavior problems.

A tenant paying on time, but is a behavior problem, is not good.

A tenant with great behavior, not paying, is not good

Credit reports will give you some aspect of finances, outstanding debt obligations, etc., But not behavior. And not evictions!

Reviewing credit reports on Sect. 8, one should look for financial obligations beyond affordability.. Like a new car purchase for $100k+,etc. Which would show income of "unreported source".

A landlord may give you a false behavior reference to get rid of their problem.

I would ask false questions in doing landlord references like ...
The applicant said they paid $600. I would ask if they could reference the applicant paid $700, and if the landlord gave a positive, I assumed we were talking to a relative.

Eviction records are public record. I owned a company that recorded every eviction record as they were filed. In San Francisco alone, 12,000/year.

So, if an applicant gave a phony landlord reference, we knew they were being evicted, from where and by whom.

Ask your screening company from where they get their data.

Trust not your applicants.

As a result of the above, I have been a very successful landlord.

A desirable neighborhood. A fair rent. Good screening and great relations and support. Is the success key.
The Following User Says Thank You to garysanfran For This Useful Post:
Descant (01-06-2024)
Old 01-06-2024, 07:58 AM   #61
John Mercier

Doesn't happen just with rentals or Section 8.
I live on a road that had four properties with a fifth just across from one end.

The one right next to me had a contractor that purchased it.
First I would see him in M-F to make purchases... then it started to happen on Saturday - he was getting behind.

One night shots rang out. Seems the contractor had picked up a habit of going out drinking with the crew - wasn't paying attention to business and his wife was threatening to leave. During a round out with the crew, he got talked into the belief that she just need a ''stern'' show of his resolve. He hit her, she shot him. Home sat empty after the mortgage company foreclosed.

The one two doors down was rented. The renter was an independent trucker that started bringing home the truck. One Sunday afternoon... his kid tried to jump the snowbanks on each side of my driveway... hit the mailbox, destroyed the sled and hurt himself. F&G handled the situation. The renter decided to try to make me pay for what he saw as a slight of contacting F&G. Kept setting off the air horns as he came by. The neighbor across the street had enough and contacted the local PD. They met him on his way home. He brought the truck home because he had lost his license for a DWI and was sneaking out in the early morning hoping not to get caught. He came home to the PD that night inebriated.

Neither of these two started out bad people, they just got themselves hooked into a lifestyle that had bad results, and failed to change course.

And over my entire life... I have noticed that Laconia - and by that I mean the people that reside and vote there along with outside influencers - tends to promote bad lifestyle choices.
TiltonBB (01-06-2024)
Old 01-06-2024, 09:03 AM   #62
Major

That story has the makings to be a great novel!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-06-2024, 12:29 PM   #63
Descant

If I'd had the benefit of all this experience in 1980, I probably wouldn't have bought my first property. The books on the subject make it all seem so easy. Regardless of good advice, I think you have to make some mistakes and learn some lessons on your own.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
Biggd (01-06-2024), KennyFromBoston (01-06-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 08:27 AM   #64
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Bad lifestyle choices

I witnessed the same scenario in my former neighborhood. Originally a dirt road with small seasonal cottages comprised of blue-collar workers, firemen, and policemen. We would have block parties monthly, rotating from one house to the next. The kids will get together every day, swim, waterski, and board games at night. A great neighborhood full of camaraderie and trust.

Now the cottages are year-round McMansions. Everyone keeps to themselves and occasionally calls law enforcement on each other. Lots of 'keeping up with the Joneses'. Out of Staters certainly are a responsible lot.
Old 01-07-2024, 09:42 AM   #65
Stilljester

Quote:
Looking for peoples thoughts on best town to live at the Big Lake...Thanks in advance, for your feedback

If you haven't yet, I would suggest spending sometime in Wolfeboro. Seems to check all the boxes you mentioned.
Stilljester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 10:23 AM   #66
bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilljester View Post
If you haven't yet, I would suggest spending sometime in Wolfeboro. Seems to check all the boxes you mentioned.
Thanks Stilljester, Wolfeboro is very nice and would consider, however, a little remote from my activities in Laconia, Tilton, and Gilford.

Going to take a close look at 'New Hampton', as it checks all the boxes:
Shopping, Close proximity to both Winnie, N.F.Lake, Laconia, Churches, etc

Unfortunately, inventory in New Hampton is always low and will be a challenge.
The Following User Says Thank You to bigdog For This Useful Post:
The Real BigGuy (01-08-2024)
Old 01-07-2024, 10:27 AM   #67
RUGMAN

Quote:
Yeah, NH doesn't have a view tax, but if you have a view you pay more taxes. Especially if it's of water.
I agree, it may not be called a view tax on your tax bill, but to be on the water with a view, you pay more ( a lot more) i am on the water and the house behind me pays a 1/4 of what I pay, would not have it any other way. The problem I have is I pay for the current value of my house, if I was to sell. If your not planning on selling to get that value, you are stuck.
RUGMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 10:33 AM   #68
pondguy

Quote:
Thanks Stilljester, Wolfeboro is very nice and would consider, however, a little remote from my activities in Laconia, Tilton, and Gilford.

Just an thought. https://www.bexrealty.com/New-Hampsh...nsfield-Woods/
pondguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 12:21 PM   #69
John Mercier

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUGMAN View Post
I agree, it may not be called a view tax on your tax bill, but to be on the water with a view, you pay more ( a lot more) i am on the water and the house behind me pays a 1/4 of what I pay, would not have it any other way. The problem I have is I pay for the current value of my house, if I was to sell. If your not planning on selling to get that value, you are stuck.
As I stated. Plant a bunch of bushes between the house and the waterfront. Once the ''view'' is gone... if the assessment doesn't go down... then it isn't about the ''view''.

Waterfront is assessed more than non-waterfront... it is about the waterfront.
Old 01-07-2024, 12:32 PM   #70
John Mercier

Quote:
I witnessed the same scenario in my former neighborhood. Originally a dirt road with small seasonal cottages comprised of blue-collar workers, firemen, and policemen. We would have block parties monthly, rotating from one house to the next. The kids will get together every day, swim, waterski, and board games at night. A great neighborhood full of camaraderie and trust.

Now the cottages are year-round McMansions. Everyone keeps to themselves and occasionally calls law enforcement on each other. Lots of 'keeping up with the Joneses'. Out of Staters certainly are a responsible lot.
Pretty sure that PD was going to need to respond for someone being shot - not sure who called them.

F&G must be notified in an accident involving a snowmobile or OHRV when someone is injured.

The call to the PD for setting off his airhorn again and again every morning in evening... that was just foolishly bad behavior on his part.

These are all still small cottages/farms on a dirt road.
But other than people that don't live on the road using the road (public), it is now pretty quiet.
Old 01-07-2024, 12:53 PM   #71
John Mercier

Quote:

You may want to contact a local realtor just to let them know you are looking for the right opportunity. They will tend to know of properties that are not yet listed in the MLS.
Old 01-07-2024, 01:40 PM   #72
TheProfessor

Quote:
I'm retired and see most of my income going to pay real estate taxes, so this is a serious factor.
My town is better. Blah. Blah. Blah.

The grass is greener someplace else. Sure.

Groton New Hampshire.
The wind farms pay most of the town budget.
You want lower property taxes.
That's it.

The rest is just blowing in the wind.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 01:51 PM   #73
John Mercier

Lots of shopping in and around Groton?
Easy access to the Lake Winnipesuakee?

Even here in Belmont, I wouldn't consider easy access to Lake Winnipesuakee.
The public ramps are in Meredith and Alton.

But the lower taxes come from moving away from any lakefront and seeking a small property... pretty hard to find anywhere with decent access to Lake Winnipesaukee. Owners aren't willing to sell.
Old 01-07-2024, 02:44 PM   #74
Descant

Default Low Inventory?

"If you ever decide to sell, call me first" said my neighbor. A chance meeting in our adjacent driveways, a few minutes later, a handshake and sold.
Real estate agents and flippers routinely farm areas looking to buy houses that are "not on the market". low percentages, but it works. I often get mail offers to buy non-owner occupied properties.
Find a neighborhood you like and check the tax cards to see which properties are not owner occupied, or were bought a long long time ago. Even owner occupied, you can offer something for a right of first refusal. Neighbors talk to neighbors and something else in the area might pop up. Waiting for the perfect house to come onto MLS may never bear fruit.
Old 01-07-2024, 04:02 PM   #75
Cobalt 12
Banned

Quote:

Lived there for 30 years. Squam lake 19 Minutes boat is in water and truck is parked..

Newfound lake 19 Minutes boat is in the water and truck is parked.

Winni ( Meredith launch ) 25 Minutes boat is in the water and truck is parked. All depends on traffic.

Winnisquam 40 Minutes boat is in the water and Truck is parked.

Close to Everything yet Far enough away to ENJOY LIFE. However things have gone thru the roof property wise in New Hampton. More and More out of Staters have and were and are moving to New Hampton. It used to really be that small town feel that everyone was looking for. Now EVERYONE has found it.
Cobalt 12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 07:34 AM   #76
Major

Default New Hampton

I second New Hampton. It is a very nice, well run town. Plus, it's namesake school is my alma mater!
Old 01-08-2024, 07:57 AM   #77
ApS

Smile Not For Everybody--But I Like it!

Quote:

Not being familiar with that other side of the world, I looked up New Hampton. Google sent me to Hampton, NH, which had good marks, but something seemed amiss. Trying again, I got New Hampton and here is their description:

"New Hampton is a town in New Hampshire with a population of 2,572. New Hampton is in Belknap County. Living in New Hampton offers residents a rural feel and most residents own their homes. Many young professionals live in New Hampton and residents tend to lean conservative. The public schools in New Hampton are above average."

ApS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 09:20 AM   #78
Major

Wink No wonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApS View Post
Many young professionals live in New Hampton and residents tend to lean conservative.
No wonder why I like New Hampton so much!
Old 01-08-2024, 11:31 AM   #79
John Mercier

Quote:
I second New Hampton. It is a very nice, well run town. Plus, it's namesake school is my alma mater!
I thought you went to Laconia?
Old 01-08-2024, 11:32 AM   #80
Major

Quote:
I thought you went to Laconia?
For freshman year. Went to NHS Sophomore to Senior years.
The Following User Says Thank You to Major For This Useful Post:
lakewind (01-08-2024)