Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-04-2011, 12:06 PM   #1
superdawgfan

Default Can-Am Spyder

Have seen the ads running during the NCAA tournament this year and am intrigued. Does anyone have one or have good insights into them?
superdawgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 12:10 PM   #2
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

They look interesting (if you really look at them they are snowmobiles on tires). If you are in the area, go by DaSilva's and check one out!

Sorry, I don't have more info- I just think anything that allows people to ride longer in life is pretty good.
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
NHBoat70

Default Demo

I actually got to demo one down in Concord when I purchased my motorcycle. They are REALLY fun to drive and are much more stable than normal bikes, however, the price tag is a bit steep.

They ride very smoothly and come in two different versions: automatic and manual transmission. I drove each transmission type and they were both very fun. I found the manual one to be more fun, but I did think the automatic one was good, it would be ideal for traffic and long rides.

I know there was demo station at Funspot two years ago. You need to have your motorcycle license, a helmet and eyewear to drive one of them. It doesn't cost anything and they take you for a good little ride.
NHBoat70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:41 PM   #4
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

The demos were again at Funspot last year, third year in the area during MC week and they plan to be back.
http://www.laconiabikeweekrally.net/laconia-events.html
you have to scroll down the page.

Company web site:
http://en-ca.spyder.brp.com/home.aspx
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 01:55 PM   #5
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Been riding bikes for nearly 35 years. The Can Am's are a different breed. They are not really motorcycles, despite what they are regulated as. They do not handle like an ordinary motorcycle and this what gets people in trouble with them. During and emergency situation the Can Am steers much like a car and not a bike. Yes it is more stable but you need more room to make the turn. The back end can get light during hard braking which can get the tail end out of shape a bit if your not careful. That said I think they are great. I would rather have my wife ride one to those than a standard bike. You won't fall over if you hit some sand or oil on the road. Plus it is one that I can ride with my heart condition without worrying as much. One draw back to them is storage. You need a good garage if you buy two of them. I sure can't park two of those in my shed like I can with regular bikes. You just have to weigh the pros and cons and see if you like riding them. I think you would be hooked if you took the test rides. Just remember the handling is a bit different than what your used to. Give it 20 miles or so and you'll be having a blast on them.

Look in craigs list...

http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/2297424428.html

http://nh.craigslist.org/mcy/2298135222.html
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lakesrider For This Useful Post:
Rattlesnake Gal (04-05-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2011, 02:49 PM   #6
ishoot308

Thanked 4,936 Times in 1,912 Posts
Default Heard They Were Great!

I haven't tried one yet, but know of friends who have and say they are real nice to ride!! I believe they offer two models, one sport model and one touring model with all the bells and whistles. Anything by Can Am is top notch in the quality department and this thing from what I have seen is no different. You can take your motorcycle driving test on one of these also!

I would love for my wife to get one.

Dan
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:04 PM   #7
MarkinNH

Last year Dasilva's had a black full dress model as their demo. Chuck told me to just go take it anytime. I am afraid that if do take it for a good long test drive, which is something I would like to do, that I am really going to want one. A loaded full dress model runs about $24k.
I am not that much of a 2 wheel bike fan but I could sure get into cruising around on one of these.
Attached Images

MarkinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 10:48 AM   #8
fatlazyless

$24,000 for one of those.....lots of luck.....hey, for about $1000 to 1500, you can find a worn out 1995-6-7 Geo Tracker in a new england Craigslist ad and figure maybe another $1000 into fixing it up and you have a real fun little car.....destined to become an historic automotive classic just like the 1966 Pontiac GTO, or the 1961 Willy's Jeepster, or something!! And, the Geo Tracker was made in Canada, same as the BRP Can-Am.

For $3500, the VW guy in Center Harbor usually has something nice, although he seems to only carry automatic VW's now......no more manuals.....how the heck can a driver-car come with an automatic tranny?

"A snowmobile on tires;" sounds like a good description for the Can-Am three wheeler!
Old 04-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #9
MarkinNH

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless View Post
$24,000 for one of those
Yup, they aren't cheap and as much fun as I think it would be to own one, I can guarantee that I Won't be buying one.
I figure that if I can scrape up the money for a monthly payment for a Can-Am Spyder that there is a lot more important places for that money to go. Like.
Mortgage, gasoline, heating fuel, new heating system etc. etc
MarkinNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 03:01 PM   #10
Winnipesaukee

Default A vehicle that combines the disadvantages of a motorcycle and an automobile

If you take all the worst things about a motorcycle... very dangerous, no storage, limited seating, relative discomfort, instability...

..and combine it with all the worst things about an automobile...price, inability to countersteer and lean, lack of maneuverability...

...You get a trike!

I think these things are really good devices to bring "motorcycling" to disabled people.

They are, however, exceptionally dangerous for anyone coming from a motorcycling background or anyone who thinks that it behaves like a motorcycle. I am not a fan.
Bubs (06-05-2011)
Old 04-09-2011, 06:58 PM   #11
NoBozo

I agree with the above post: As a Retired (from the road... due to OLD) Motorcyclist......I never considered myself a BIKER...it looks to me like the CanAm is a RE-Invention of the wheel. I don't get the point..... And IMHO it is BUTT Ugly. The Conventional Trike.... (Third wheel in the front..Vs third wheel in the rear on the CanAm) is probably less stable than the CanAm..I"m talking IN Cornering..... But I think a Trike looks better. Pick Your Poison.

The legal definition of a motorcycle boils down to this: If it has less than 4 wheels..it is a motorcycle. NB
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 06:57 AM   #12
fatlazyless

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
The legal definition of a motorcycle boils down to this: If it has less than 4 wheels..it is a motorcycle. NB
How about the Messerschmitt 3-wheel bubble car? Made from 1955 - 1964, it's similar to the Can-Am except it's got a car design on top of three wheels.

If gasoline goes up to eight dollars/gallon, something like this could be the ride of das future?

For $5500 U.S., there's the Swedish Smite which is a 2011 version that's similar in looks to the Messerschmitt KR200 and built in Sweden by a company named Vehiconomics. Top speed: about 60-mph, weight-286 lbs without any people inside, seats for driver and one passenger, gas mileage-don't know but it better be super-duper economical!

286 lbs sure seems very light for a two seater car capable of doing 60-mph! Do they make a police cruiser model designed for local police departments looking to keep their costs down?

Last edited by fatlazyless; 04-10-2011 at 07:37 AM.
fatlazyless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:48 PM   #13
NoBozo

Default Who Wooda Thunk....?

BMW Isetta 250 (Three Wheeler) NB

http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/bmwisetta250.html
Old 04-13-2011, 06:42 PM   #14
NoBozo

There doesn't seem to be any comments ... Current BMW ....Drivers. There are a lot of them out there. That's because they have NO Clue about the BMW Heritage...which is significant.

I have NO respect for people who buy high end cars...that don't know anything about the Brand they are driving. They don't appreciate the history of the Marque.

They have no respect.. Most (If not all) of the current owners of significant cars are ONLY concerned with one thing... "HOW DO I LOOK". NB
Old 04-13-2011, 07:24 PM   #15
VitaBene

Thanked 1,601 Times in 821 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoBozo View Post
There doesn't seem to be any comments ... Current BMW ....Drivers. There are a lot of them out there. That's because they have NO Clue about the BMW Heritage...which is significant.

I have NO respect for people who buy high end cars...that don't know anything about the Brand they are driving. They don't appreciate the history of the Marque.

They have no respect.. Most (If not all) of the current owners of significant cars are ONLY concerned with one thing... "HOW DO I LOOK". NB
I like German cars but don't like the repair bulls that come with them!
VitaBene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 10:16 PM   #16
PapaDon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
Been riding bikes for nearly 35 years. The Can Am's are a different breed. They are not really motorcycles, despite what they are regulated as. They do not handle like an ordinary motorcycle and this what gets people in trouble with them. During and emergency situation the Can Am steers much like a car and not a bike. Yes it is more stable but you need more room to make the turn. The back end can get light during hard braking which can get the tail end out of shape a bit if your not careful. That said I think they are great. I would rather have my wife ride one to those than a standard bike. You won't fall over if you hit some sand or oil on the road. Plus it is one that I can ride with my heart condition without worrying as much. One draw back to them is storage. You need a good garage if you buy two of them. I sure can't park two of those in my shed like I can with regular bikes. You just have to weigh the pros and cons and see if you like riding them. I think you would be hooked if you took the test rides. Just remember the handling is a bit different than what your used to. Give it 20 miles or so and you'll be having a blast on them.]
Thanks for the good info. I know I've been seeing quite a few of these around in the last couple of years. Glad to know a bit more about them.
PapaDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:56 AM   #17
Belmont Resident

Default Can Am

There seems to be a growing number riding them in Laconia. I see groups of 3-6 riding around frequently. I could never justify the price.
Me, I'll stick with my KLR650. 50-55mpg since I swapped out rear tire for more of a street tire. Just put a K&N filter on and dropped one tooth on the front sprocket which should help improve low end torque. Great bike for work and dirt roads at a reasonable price.
Belmont Resident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:57 PM   #18
trfour

Smile The Original Tons Of Fun, After Ice Out...

Can-Am looks and feels more like a snowmobile With/Wheels. Getting to know how to ride them has a short leaning curve. Think about it. When you have to mothball the snowmobiles for the, 'Doo and lack of snow, although another ice age is not out of the equasion just yet, you can take these puppies out for warm weather riding and not skip a beat!
http://en-us.spyder.brp.com/home.asp...ign=Spyder2011

However, all of the above comes with air conditioning at no extra cost!
Terry

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 05:48 PM   #19
Dave R

For me, the pleasures of a motorcyle are the ability to lean way over in corners and the outrageous acceleration. Those Spyders are neat, but they offer neither of the things I like in open-air motoring.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #20
Argie's Wife

Seems to me that the Can-Ams are the minivans of the motorcycle world...

My sister and her husband want one... (at least that's what she says...) My BIL has a Harley custom soft-tail now... I dunno if he's as into the Can-Ams as she is... time will tell...
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 04:31 PM   #21
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,000 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argie's Wife View Post
Seems to me that the Can-Ams are the minivans of the motorcycle world...

My sister and her husband want one... (at least that's what she says...) My BIL has a Harley custom soft-tail now... I dunno if he's as into the Can-Ams as she is... time will tell...
Hmmm, well giving up the soft tail for a Cam-Am might be a lot to ask. One could do a little conversion to the Harley and at least retain a bit of character.
Attached Images

Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slickcraft For This Useful Post:
Argie's Wife (04-17-2011)