Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2022, 01:36 PM   #1
rodgcsa

Default Question of floating toy islands

So, I figured I would ask the experts this question that was posed to me last week while out with friends on the lake. If the water is public use and not owned by an individual what rules are there about the floating islands of toys that seem to be everywhere. Question was, if a boat can anchor just about anywhere like in front of a private home can the boat anchor and use the toys that are moored in public water? The question came up because I used to anchor between two small islands and I can't anymore as a bunch of water toys have been put there and i don't want to take the chance of getting tangled up. I know we have been tempted to have a little fun on one of these toy islands but haven't found the courage to try it. Just having fun here and trying to satisfy my curiousity.
Thank You!
rodgcsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 02:43 PM   #2
FlyingScot

Without judgment as to what is fair...waterfront owners have certain "riparian rights" to put their private property, such as a dock, swim raft, boat in front of their homes. There are specific rules/permits required for various uses, you can Google these.

These items are nevertheless private property--you cannot go on them without permission, any more than you could sit in someone else's car without their permission.

I do not know the rules on the inflatable rafts, but I agree that some of them are abusive in size, at least in terms of the spirit of the rules. To me, these are often though not always in the same category as other impolite things (circling wake boards, etc).

People troll near and between my dock and my (appropriate, haha) swim raft regularly. This is completely cool with me, and should be acceptable to all raft/float owners. As you point out, these are public waters.

So I would not go on their rafts, but I would not hesitate to fish
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlyingScot For This Useful Post:
dickiej (07-18-2022), DotRat (07-19-2022)
Old 07-18-2022, 02:55 PM   #3
Woodsy

No matter what they cannot extend past the 150' buffer into navigable waters... If you find your navigation impeded, just let the MP know and they will handle it.

Woodsy
DBreskin (07-19-2022), Fritoman (07-18-2022)
Old 07-18-2022, 03:00 PM   #4
WinnisquamZ

A plus to these toys is it reduces boat speed around one’s waterfront. Boats get forced out a few more yards!

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app
WinnisquamZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 05:01 PM   #5
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Rod, are you seriously asking this?
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
upthesaukee (07-18-2022)
Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2022, 05:34 PM   #6
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts
Default Huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodgcsa View Post
So, I figured I would ask the experts this question that was posed to me last week while out with friends on the lake. If the water is public use and not owned by an individual what rules are there about the floating islands of toys that seem to be everywhere. Question was, if a boat can anchor just about anywhere like in front of a private home can the boat anchor and use the toys that are moored in public water? The question came up because I used to anchor between two small islands and I can't anymore as a bunch of water toys have been put there and i don't want to take the chance of getting tangled up. I know we have been tempted to have a little fun on one of these toy islands but haven't found the courage to try it. Just having fun here and trying to satisfy my curiousity.
Thank You!
This is kinda like asking…is it OK if someone jumps in your boat and uses it while on the “public” lake…

Private property is just that…

Dan

Last edited by ishoot308; 07-18-2022 at 06:39 PM.
ishoot308 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ishoot308 For This Useful Post:
brk-lnt (07-19-2022), Descant (07-18-2022), upthesaukee (07-18-2022)
Old 07-18-2022, 07:00 PM   #7
chachee52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
This is kinda like asking…is it OK if someone jumps in your boat and uses it while on the “public” lake…

Private property is just that…

Dan
I somewhat disagree, and I might be wrong. A boat is registered to a person. If I recall, and this is where I might be wrong, the inflatable rafts do not need to be registered. Therefore ownership is more at question.
That being said, I wouldn't jump on it because I know it is someone else's.
But just like your yard, from the street, technically the first 3 feet is public/town access, so if you leave something on that part of the yard, is it free to use?
But I also wouldn't hesitate to anchor where I used to if I did it frequently enough. People do it all the time all around the lake. I'm not one to anchor out frequently though, but I see it all the time.
chachee52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 07:19 PM   #8
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by chachee52 View Post
I somewhat disagree, and I might be wrong. A boat is registered to a person. If I recall, and this is where I might be wrong, the inflatable rafts do not need to be registered. Therefore ownership is more at question.

But just like your yard, from the street, technically the first 3 feet is public/town access, so if you leave something on that part of the yard, is it free to use?

But I also wouldn't hesitate to anchor where I used to if I did it frequently enough. People do it all the time all around the lake. I'm not one to anchor out frequently though, but I see it all the time.
I consider myself very easy going and approachable. You want to fish around my docks? No problem. You want to jump around on my stuff? That probably wouldn't be a pleasant experience. Common sense and respect... that's all.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
ishoot308 (07-19-2022), tis (07-19-2022), TKD (07-19-2022), upthesaukee (07-18-2022)
Old 07-18-2022, 09:50 PM   #9
Descant

Thanked 1,498 Times in 975 Posts

Quote:
First three feet? Where did you et that? In some areas the street is a right of way from hundreds of years, in others it is yielded to the town as part of a development, and many variations in between. There are no simple definitions without research for a specific location.
Registered boat? My canoe is just as much mine as any registered boat.
Descant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Descant For This Useful Post:
TiltonBB (07-19-2022)
Old 07-19-2022, 06:12 AM   #10
mowtorman

Default "We shall fight on the beaches, we shall defend our island"

"That probably wouldn't be a pleasant experience".

What are you saying? Unpleasant for the jumping man? Unpleasant for you? Sounds like a veiled threat. What would you do? Call the Marine Patrol or take matters in your own hands? Yikes it sounds like the Bush compound in Kennebunkport with the secret service outposts. Given the police won't show up for a while how do you protect yourself and property on an island? Years ago island properties were vulnerable especially in the winter. People would access by snowmobile with no one around.

Last edited by mowtorman; 07-19-2022 at 06:43 AM.
mowtorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 06:52 AM   #11
tis

Thanked 1,375 Times in 951 Posts

Apparently this is the sense of entitlement in today's society. What's mine is mine and what's yours' is mine. Wow, just wow.
tis is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to tis For This Useful Post:
ApS (07-12-2023), ishoot308 (07-19-2022), mowtorman (07-19-2022), TKD (07-19-2022)
Old 07-19-2022, 08:22 AM   #12
steve-on-mark

Default man the catapults!!!

I look at it this way... would I walk over to my neighbor's and use his hot tub without permission? Wouldn't even consider it. Would I pull up to someone's water trampoline and start jumping on it? Hell no. Those of us with respect will always have it, those that don't probably never will. Who do you think would be liable if some uninvited user fell and broke his neck while using " party islands in public water"...probably me. No thanks.
ishoot308 (07-19-2022), tis (07-19-2022), TKD (07-19-2022), upthesaukee (07-19-2022)
Old 07-19-2022, 08:42 AM   #13
MeredithMan

Default "You're not using it.."

Several times every summer, I get characters from one of the neighboring seasonal rental places that will attach their floats to my mooring ball, (I swear my mooring has a flashing neon "welcome" sign on it). As soon as I see it happening, I say in a polite but firm voice, "Please get off my mooring!"

Most folks comply right away; some argue with the, "you're not using it", line, to which I always reply, "you're not using your car, would you like me to go sit in it?" Luckily, that has always been the end of it, but I'm sure the day will come when some A.H. refuses to get off and I have to call MP or Meredith Police and in the ensuing hour or more till they arrive, the interloper is fat, dumb, and happy enjoying himself and there's really little I could do about it.
MeredithMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 08:49 AM   #14
swnoel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowtorman View Post
Years ago island properties were vulnerable especially in the winter. People would access by snowmobile with no one around.
Has it changed?
swnoel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 09:25 AM   #15
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by swnoel View Post
Has it changed?
with more folks utilizing web cams, maybe it has??
Old 07-19-2022, 09:50 AM   #16
FlyingScot

Quote:
Are you serious? Where do you get this stuff or this rationale?
FlyingScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 10:31 AM   #17
brk-lnt

Quote:
Therefore ownership is more at question.

How is the ownership at question? Do you think there is no clear answer on who paid for the floating item? Does paying for something and then placing it in the lake somehow void ownership?
Old 07-19-2022, 10:39 AM   #18
Sue Doe-Nym

Good grief! Have common sense and rational thinking completely disappeared?????
Sue Doe-Nym is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doe-Nym For This Useful Post:
tis (07-19-2022)
Old 07-19-2022, 10:51 AM   #19
rodgcsa

Thank you all of the feedback. I kind of knew the answer, I do think some of these floating islands are getting out of hand. There are two places I used to anchor that are now really not available. Part of me thinks that maybe they are being used to discourage anchoring in front of a property and I have no doubt the other is to stop PWC use around the other. Oh well such is life. Hope everyone has a great rest of your summer!
rodgcsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 10:52 AM   #20
steve-on-mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by brk-lnt View Post
How is the ownership at question? Do you think there is no clear answer on who paid for the floating item? Does paying for something and then placing it in the lake somehow void ownership?
Note to self.. never leave your boats at the public docks!!!

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
brk-lnt (07-20-2022)
Old 07-19-2022, 11:05 AM   #21
mowtorman

Default Public docks

How about the opposite...if you leave your boat on the public docks all summer does that make it your private slip? Certainly a hell of a lot cheaper....steal of a deal.
Old 07-19-2022, 11:13 AM   #22
steve-on-mark

Quote:
how about the opposite...if you leave your boat on the public docks all summer does that make it your private slip? Certainly a hell of a lot cheaper....steal of a deal.
only from late october on!
Old 07-19-2022, 11:17 AM   #23
codeman671

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve-on-mark View Post
I look at it this way... would I walk over to my neighbor's and use his hot tub without permission? Wouldn't even consider it. Would I pull up to someone's water trampoline and start jumping on it? Hell no. Those of us with respect will always have it, those that don't probably never will. Who do you think would be liable if some uninvited user fell and broke his neck while using " party islands in public water"...probably me. No thanks.
You wouldn't, but those damn Libby's always had no issue with it!
codeman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to codeman671 For This Useful Post:
TKD (07-19-2022)
Old 07-19-2022, 01:52 PM   #24
chachee52

K, to be clear, did people NOT read my entire post. Because I clearly say I would NOT use the floats because they are owned by someone. It was more of a sarcastic remark for all the entitled people that don't want anyone in front of their cottages but feel that they can do what they want to do anywhere else.
As for the 3 foot from the street, each town I have lived in has this. my current house I had to get a variance to build a garage and they had me measure 3 feet from the road to get the correct measurement because it is the towns right of way and in the city, where the sidewalk should be.
Again, would I touch things in this space, no, it was sarcastic.
chachee52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 08:14 PM   #25
SailinAway

Quote:
As for the 3 foot from the street, each town I have lived in has this. my current house I had to get a variance to build a garage and they had me measure 3 feet from the road to get the correct measurement because it is the towns right of way and in the city, where the sidewalk should be.
My town told me it was a certain distance measured from the center of the road. I forget how many feet, maybe 12? This question comes up when a tree falls close to the road. That happened to me once and the tree turned out to be on the town portion and they cleaned it up, fortunately.
SailinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 05:59 AM   #26
garysanfran

I believe the 3' rule has to do with road maintenance like snow plowing. Gotta have some place to put that stuff on "public" land.
garysanfran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 06:01 AM   #27
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by codeman671 View Post
You wouldn't, but those damn Libby's always had no issue with it!
Not a “Libby” issue. It’s an Entitled issue which includes both “Libby’s” & “Cons”.

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 06:30 AM   #28
TheProfessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinAway View Post
My town told me it was a certain distance measured from the center of the road. I forget how many feet, maybe 12?
One winter. The town snow plow driver kept knocking down my mail box.
It was the 2nd pass - with the "wing" plow extended.

Happened 3 times one winter. Same plow driver.

I visited/met with the town road agent. His response was that the town had a 50 foot right of way. And that if my mail box was knocked down - so be it.

Well . . . the next year - and after - my mail box has not been damaged. Different plow driver since.
TheProfessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2022, 06:37 AM   #29
mowtorman

Default Entitled

The word is used over and over again on the forum.

No one thinks they are entitled but they think everyone else is.

On the lake...what are the traits or actions that make you, your neighbor or another boater ENTITLED?
Old 07-20-2022, 06:38 AM   #30
Lakegeezer

Default Passive aggressive floats

Pretty clear that the post was a rhetorical question and some took the bait, but the real question is about the unregistered navigational impact. I've seen floats used to push "at speed" boat traffic well beyond 150 feet from shore as well as make cove anchoring more difficult. Passive aggressive actions on the shoreline owner's part. It seems to me that it should at least require registration with the MP, like with mooring balls, so they can weed out the spite floats.
garysanfran (07-20-2022), mowtorman (07-20-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 06:55 AM   #31
ishoot308

Thanked 4,924 Times in 1,906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
Not a “Libby” issue. It’s an Entitled issue which includes both “Libby’s” & “Cons”.

Relax...pretty sure that's someone's name.

Dan
upthesaukee (07-20-2022), Woodsy (07-20-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 09:49 AM   #32
Woodsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishoot308 View Post
Relax...pretty sure that's someone's name.

Dan
That was the impression I got as well!

Woodsy
Old 07-20-2022, 02:55 PM   #33
The Real BigGuy

Quote:
The word is used over and over again on the forum.

No one thinks they are entitled but they think everyone else is.

On the lake...what are the traits or actions that make you, your neighbor or another boater ENTITLED?
You are entitled when you do whatever you want with no consideration for the impact of your actions on others. Examples:

When you plow thru a no wake zone with no consideration of what your wake does to the shoreline or oats of others, your entitled;

When you drive thru or anchor in an area with other boats anchored or homes along the shoreline with your stereo blasting so it can be heard in Concord with no consideration for the impact you may be having on others enjoyment of the lake, you are entitled;

When you wakeboard and continually circle a smaller cove with stereo blasting and huge wake waves battering the shoreline without consideration for your impact on shore front owner, you are entitled;

When you pass, on a plane, within 50 ft of a kayaker, paddleboarder, or swimmer without consideration for their safety, you are entitled;

When you fail to observe the 150’ passage rule because you can, you are entitled;

When you are partying at 2am with shouting and loud music with no consideration for your neighbors, you are entitled;

When you tie your boat up in someone else’s slip or park in someone else’s parking space because you are in a hurry, you are entitled.

I’m sure I’ve missed some so feel free to add to the list.

The Real BigGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Real BigGuy For This Useful Post:
ApS (08-19-2022), FlyingScot (07-20-2022), salty dog (07-21-2022), tis (07-21-2022), upthesaukee (07-20-2022)
Old 07-23-2022, 07:21 AM   #34
RTTOOL
Banned

Red face

:l ook:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy View Post
You are entitled when you do whatever you want with no consideration for the impact of your actions on others. Examples:

When you plow thru a no wake zone with no consideration of what your wake does to the shoreline or oats of others, your entitled;

When you drive thru or anchor in an area with other boats anchored or homes along the shoreline with your stereo blasting so it can be heard in Concord with no consideration for the impact you may be having on others enjoyment of the lake, you are entitled;

When you wakeboard and continually circle a smaller cove with stereo blasting and huge wake waves battering the shoreline without consideration for your impact on shore front owner, you are entitled; you forgot one just BACK UP TO THE FLOAT WITH YOUR TRIM UP LET THE PROPELLER DO THE REST

When you pass, on a plane, within 50 ft of a kayaker, paddleboarder, or swimmer without consideration for their safety, you are entitled;

When you fail to observe the 150’ passage rule because you can, you are entitled;

When you are partying at 2am with shouting and loud music with no consideration for your neighbors, you are entitled;

When you tie your boat up in someone else’s slip or park in someone else’s parking space because you are in a hurry, you are entitled.

I’m sure I’ve missed some so feel free to add to the list.

RTTOOL is offline   Reply With Quote