Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Weather
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 01-27-2009, 08:57 AM   #1
CanisLupusArctos

Default Snowstorm Wednesday 1/28

The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm warning for all of New Hampshire except the far north. This warning also includes coastal Maine, and MA north of the Mass Pike.

Quite a bit of snow is on the way for Wednesday. Sunny weather will last through the rest of today and the bitter cold will relax to normal midwinter temperatures, allowing you to make your snowstorm preparations.

This storm will move out out the southern plains where it is generating headlines with ice in Texas. From there it will move to the New Jersey coast and track just south of Long Island NY and into the Gulf of Maine.

The moisture with this storm will meet with the cold dry air over us and generate snow. For most of New England it will be the fluffy western style powder, but south of Boston and Hartford it could be a bit stickier and may mix with sleet or freezing rain at the height of the storm tomorrow afternoon.

Snow will begin around midnight tonight in far southwest Connecticut and will move northeast, reaching Maine by 7 a.m. and will fall heavily within 4 hours of onset.

Since the roads have been in subzero cold for the last few days, expect the snow to begin accumulating on them as soon as it starts falling.

The height of the storm for New Hampshire will be tomorrow afternoon when snow may fall heavily for several hours. Snow will begin to taper off in the evening and may continue intermittently, lightly, through Thursday morning.

For the lakes region expect an average of 12 inches, with amounts of 18 inches not out of the question. The highest amounts will fall on east-facing slopes of the Belknap Range, the Ossipee Range, and the Squam Range.

Snow will end on Thursday morning and temperatures will remain in the 20s.

For the latest automatically-updated New England weather info (with focus on the lakes region) visit the Winnipesaukee WeatherCenter's homepage at www.BlackCatNH.com/weather.

If you are looking for snowfall amounts (what has fallen already) or current snow depth throughout New England, choose "Rain and Snow Amounts" from the left-hand menu.
CanisLupusArctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:38 AM   #2
Rose

Default Shout out for good ECMWF link from my weather peeps

CLA, R2B and all weather weenies out there,

Do any of you have a link to maps of the ECMWF model? The ones I always find don't show the short range forecasts (the first 60 hours) and only show two variables...the mean sea level pressure and the 500 mb chart. I'm greedy...I want more. Particularly since the NWS in Taunton is keeping a watchful eye on this model's guidance, which is placing the path of the storm further to the north and west and allowing a changeover everywhere in southern New England. I'd really like to see the first 60 hours of the forecast, at least.

Thanks,
Rose
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
BoulderBronco

Seems this is a great thing for snowmobiling but could be a bad thing for fishing conditions. From what I have heard it's already a bit slushy in areas. Another foot+ on top of that and it will be a mess. We don't want a repeat of last year. Any chance all this slush/snow will just freeze and the conditions become perfect?
BoulderBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:23 AM   #4
Lakegeezer

Default Yeeeeehaaa

Bring it on! I can't wait to do some snowmobiling in the storm tomorrow afternoon, with my GPS to keep from getting lost. BoulderBronco has a good point. There is already some serious slush spots on the lake. With another foot on top, things are going to get sloppy, but new snow is needed. The main part of the lake has frozen white-caps - very bumpy. In spots, there are ice-shards sicking up out of the snow, which make for an interesting ride.

With any luck, the snowmobilers will pack down plenty of space, which will make a good platform for the fishing derby.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:59 AM   #5
hilltopper

Default Won't be AS bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderBronco View Post
Seems this is a great thing for snowmobiling but could be a bad thing for fishing conditions. From what I have heard it's already a bit slushy in areas. Another foot+ on top of that and it will be a mess. We don't want a repeat of last year. Any chance all this slush/snow will just freeze and the conditions become perfect?
If I remember correctly last year, there were two events the week before the derby. One was heavy snow and the other was heavy snow with some mixing. I think total accumulation from the two was around 15". This will be a lighter snow event in regards to water content. I can't imagine it will be like last year. Last year it wasn't slush where I was...just plain stading water on top of the ice. It was a miserable mess!
hilltopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2009, 12:24 PM   #6
CanisLupusArctos

Quote:
If a bunch of people get out there with snow machines and pack it all down during the storm it should be fine! What's out there right now in front of Black Cat is very hard wind-pack like you find on the mountain summits. It is not like last year at all. It looks fluffy in the WeatherCam but it has in the high winds and extreme cold it has formed very solid drifts that you can walk on top of, without snowshoes.

Rose, I'm with you... I'd like to see the same ECMWF as you are looking for. I did read in Taunton's discussion (and agree) that the dense cold air mass plus the healthy snowcover all over New England will likely play a role in keeping the storm track south of the Mass Pike. I see a repeat or a near-repeat of what happened on Sunday the 18th.

My forecast for the Lakes Region is based on a local phenomenon I have observed for 3 years now... the lake itself acts as a funnel for wind coming off the ocean. For example, during some past winter storms where snow has changed to sleet and freezing rain along the coast, on the island we've gotten the coastal changeover (with strong SE winds) even while Moultonborough and Laconia were both still snowing and wind from the NE...

My hypothesis is the tongue of ocean influence comes farther inland than it otherwise would, because of the lake acting as a resistance-free channel for it. I've based a few forecasts on it, with success.

On Sunday the 18th I noticed the snowfall amounts were greatest along the coast and also along a corridor from Rochester to Center Harbor. The wind had been bringing ocean moisture into the cold air mass, and it was reaching "only so far" inland except around this lake southeastward to the seacoast.

The SE end of the lake is relatively open to the seacoast, so all an easterly air current has to do is catch the hills & mountains to the west of Rochester and Alton which steer it into the tip of Alton Bay, and then it gets a free ride between the Belknaps on the southern shore and the Ossipees on the northern shore, until it hits the Squam Mountains at the Center Harbor end and stops.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:29 PM   #7
BoulderBronco

Well thats good. But it sounds like the lake is not generating any more ice. My brother had 10" halfway down Meredith bay two weeks ago. He went out again this past weekend and had about the same, maybe 11" in some spots. What gives? Is the lake maxed already? Is the snow pack insulating the lake to the point it will not freeze any more? I was hoping for 20" of ice this year. Either way I can't wait. I just moved my flight up a week so I am heading out there Thursday and will be there for 10 days. Here fishy fishy.
Old 01-27-2009, 01:54 PM   #8
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose View Post
CLA, R2B and all weather weenies out there,

Do any of you have a link to maps of the ECMWF model? The ones I always find don't show the short range forecasts (the first 60 hours) and only show two variables...the mean sea level pressure and the 500 mb chart. I'm greedy...I want more. Particularly since the NWS in Taunton is keeping a watchful eye on this model's guidance, which is placing the path of the storm further to the north and west and allowing a changeover everywhere in southern New England. I'd really like to see the first 60 hours of the forecast, at least.

Thanks,
Rose
I am also confused by the reference to the ECMWF model for the short term. I am only aware of model output from the ECMWF for 72 to 240 hours, 3 to 10 days. Yet Taunton often references ECMWF output for 24 hours out, as they have done today.

Being that ECMWF stands for The European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts, I must say I do not get it.

It is very likely that if you are a subscriber to their organization, you get a lot more than is available to the "free" user, but I understand the cost is very high.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:51 PM   #9
HomeWood

I hope there's not too much snow on the lake. My 4 wheelers could barely move last year and my sled didn't even like it. I'll be up Friday morning. Can't wait!
HomeWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:59 PM   #10
Resident 2B

Exclamation Snow, to ice?!

It is looking more like we will see a switch to freezing rain in the middle of the storm at least in the southern parts of the lake. I do not think it will be anything like we had in December, but I am seeing warm air at the mid levels due to the strength and path of the primary storm. I also think the coastal secondary may be north of Long Island, NY and not off the coast until it crosses the coast near Plymouth, Ma.

So, it will snow very hard for the first half of the storm, due to the high vertical lift or omega, perhaps around 8 to 10 inches around Alton and around 12 inches or a bit more near Black Cat Island. But, the warm layer will cause mixing and that will pack the snow down some or at least make it wetter.

Time will tell, but I think the NWS will be making mentin of this soon.

R2B
Old 01-27-2009, 10:57 PM   #11
AC2717

Default HElp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resident 2B View Post
It is looking more like we will see a switch to freezing rain in the middle of the storm at least in the southern parts of the lake. I do not think it will be anything like we had in December, but I am seeing warm air at the mid levels due to the strength and path of the primary storm. I also think the coastal secondary may be north of Long Island, NY and not off the coast until it crosses the coast near Plymouth, Ma.

So, it will snow very hard for the first half of the storm, due to the high vertical lift or omega, perhaps around 8 to 10 inches around Alton and around 12 inches or a bit more near Black Cat Island. But, the warm layer will cause mixing and that will pack the snow down some or at least make it wetter.

Time will tell, but I think the NWS will be making mentin of this soon.

R2B
Hi R2B and CLA.
I am getting conflicting information for NOAA and from all the stations down here in Boston, can you tell me the honest forecast for the boston area within 128 belt below the MA Pike? You guys have been right more than then and I trust your outlooks. I do not think this storm has a chance to move up given the cold air pushing back down and if it hits the ocean much like the one in December the weekend of the 19th, that never really stopped until the end of the Sunday
Old 01-28-2009, 08:03 AM   #12
Resident 2B

Thumbs up Looking whiter than I thought last night...

Just checking soundings and looking down stream a bit and the warm air at mid-levels will not reach the lake. The changeover to sleet and freezing rain will be well south of us.

Because the storm will be colder, the ratio will be 10:1 to 15:1 on average and with all the moisture, this wil be a significant event. It is looking like 1.5 to 2.5 feet at this time with some drifting at the end.

R2B
Old 01-28-2009, 09:38 AM   #13
CentreHarborEric

Default Heading to Gunstock for afternoon/night skiing

Can't wait.
Can anyone comment on the conditions before this storm? I can imagine they were pretty firm.
Hopefully there will be so much new snow we won't even be able to get down to the old stuff!!
Thanks, I love the weather chatter. I have no idea what an Omega is, but it sounds pretty convincing and when I see comments like 1.5 to 2.5 feet of snow, I get excited!
CentreHarborEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:35 AM   #14
hilltopper

Default Not much yet...

Not even 2" in Meredith yet but it looks like the heavy stuff is moving in. At this rate we'll be snowblowing at midnight . The heavy stuff, assuming the forecast is still holding up, is definitley at least a handful of hours behind schedule. Mother Nature is going to make getting out of the driveway at 6 AM tomorrow difficult!
Old 01-28-2009, 11:58 AM   #15
hazelnut

Default snow in MA

We're getting down here in MA. So far 4+ inches I'd say where I am just north of the MA Pike and a hair west of 128. I'm awaiting the changeover to rain before I warm up the Snowblower.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:20 PM   #16
AC2717

Default Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by hazelnut View Post
We're getting down here in MA. So far 4+ inches I'd say where I am just north of the MA Pike and a hair west of 128. I'm awaiting the changeover to rain before I warm up the Snowblower.

I do not think it will change over as quickly here in MA, I am in Quincy MA at work right now and we are still getting a good clip of snow and it was forecasted that it would change by about 11:30 or so here. I really hope they are wrong with the change to rain anyways, got a Big Sledding get together on Saturday! BRING ON THE SNOW!

Anyone care to enlighten us on new forecasts given the storm is a little slow today? I am hoping I am right, but I would guess that the snow/rain line is having trouble shifting North due to the cold air pushing down and the wind off the ocean has not been able to recirculate
Old 01-28-2009, 12:38 PM   #17
CanisLupusArctos

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2717 View Post
Hi R2B and CLA.
I am getting conflicting information for NOAA and from all the stations down here in Boston, can you tell me the honest forecast for the boston area within 128 belt below the MA Pike? You guys have been right more than then and I trust your outlooks. I do not think this storm has a chance to move up given the cold air pushing back down and if it hits the ocean much like the one in December the weekend of the 19th, that never really stopped until the end of the Sunday
I see the radar showing ocean-influence moving westward but having some trouble getting inland from the immediate shore. It's all mix and rain off the MA coast now, with rain on Cape Cod and sleet in RI. Given this scenario I don't think it will be long before Boston changes over to sleet. However, there is a very sharp cutoff between the ocean influence and the cold air inland. For example Portsmouth is 29 right now and Manchester is 19, as is Rochester.

I think Boston area inside of Rt 128 from the MA pike southward will probably get more of a messy 6 inches out of this today, and then a change back to snow tonight with another inch or two. That will happen very quickly as the storm passes and winds shift from east into the NW.

For the Lakes Region I'll go for an average of 18 inches with the most snow falling on the east-facing slopes of hills as well as near them... but the lake's effect of "runway from the ocean" as I mentioned in last post concerns me with this one. There is a chance the sleet could make it farther inland along the Rt 11 corridor where landforms help channel the inland-bound air.

Keep up with the latest snowfall reports by visiting www.blackcatnh.com/weather and choose "rain and snow amounts" from the menu at left.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:50 PM   #18
Merrymeeting

About 4-6" here in N Central MA, along Rt 495 near Rt. 2. It changed to rain/sleet about 90 minutes ago and is raining hard now. Seems to be melting/condensing much of what has fallen.

Now I just hope I can get it cleared before it hardens again.
Merrymeeting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 04:49 PM   #19
murph

hey guys. has the snow held on up there or has it changed over to sleet/rain? let me know i wanna go up and ride again this weekend!!!
murph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 05:36 PM   #20
Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentreHarborEric View Post
I have no idea what an Omega is, but it sounds pretty convincing and when I see comments like 1.5 to 2.5 feet of snow, I get excited!
Omega is the change in pressure over time in the vertical dimension, so you can think of it as vertical velocity. For anyone feeling a little mathletic, here's a link to equations representing omega.

http://www.sjsu.edu/faculty/watkins/omega.htm
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 06:45 PM   #21
trfour

Thumbs up From All Us Weather Nuts And More....

A huge thank you to Rose, CLA, R2B and just plain Weathernuts Everywhere!!

All of these weather threads are " Awesome!! "

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:03 PM   #22
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by murph View Post
hey guys. has the snow held on up there or has it changed over to sleet/rain? let me know i wanna go up and ride again this weekend!!!
Wet Snow and Sleet just started here in Gilford Village area. Change started within the last 30 minuets. Wind has picked up some also.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:21 PM   #23
moose tracks

Location: Loudon, Tennessee, foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains
Default Snow accumulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post
Wet Snow and Sleet just started here in Gilford Village area. Change started within the last 30 minuets. Wind has picked up some also.
What is the snow accumulation from this storm?
Old 01-28-2009, 08:05 PM   #24
CHSLTD

Default How Much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveA View Post

Steve, What were the totals before the changeover? Thanks, Gary
CHSLTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:33 AM   #25
SteveA
Deceased Member

Thanked 2,054 Times in 497 Posts
Default 12 Plus, about 1.8 Yuki's

The sleet was brief. By this morning it looks like 12-14". It drifted a little. What little sleet/rain there was didn't last long and didn't have much effect.

It was still easy to snow blow this AM. Looks like a moon scape out there, complete with a "crater" over the septic tank!
Old 01-29-2009, 02:39 PM   #26
CanisLupusArctos

Default 12.6 inches at Black Cat Island

The total at Black Cat was 12.6 inches. We changed over to sleet for about 15 minutes at 6 p.m. At that time it got windy, and the temp reached its daily max of 25. Then the wind settled down as fast as it came up, shifted into the north, the temp dropped right back and we went back to heavy snow, which then tapered off. Snow ended by midnight. At 1 a.m. we had starry skies. The graph from the temperature is pretty cool, and 6 p.m. last night is still on there for a few more hours. To see it, visit the WeatherCenter page and click on "graphs" in the upper right corner.

The sun is warm today, with temp at 26. It's melting and drying the areas I've shoveled.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:10 PM   #27
BoulderBronco

So the lake is going to be a mess huh. With temps in the 20's I don't see the slush freezing. Bummer.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:56 PM   #28
bilproject

Default How the roofs doing?

How's the buildup on the roofs? Is it time to think about going to the island and shoveling? Hoping the snow has been light stuff that blows off. My roof is dark green metal so I does a good job of self cleaning where it has sun exposure.
bilproject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 07:39 AM   #29
hilltopper

Quote:
So the lake is going to be a mess huh. With temps in the 20's I don't see the slush freezing. Bummer.
Unfortunatley if Tuesdays storm is rain, the ice is going to be a huge mess...
Old 01-30-2009, 11:31 PM   #30
BoulderBronco

Well I'm here in Meredith. Nice to be back. The conditions are awsome. No slush, great snow, great weather and good ice. We have about 10-12" halfway down Meredith bay. I think the snow really insulated it. Either way it's great.