Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 06-21-2009, 04:26 PM   #1
TOAD

Default Best town to retire in?

Wife and I will be taking in the working shingles within a short time. Been looking for a retirement place in Meredith, Alton, Wolfeboro, Laconia, and Barnstead.

Can't afford lake front but would like to be able to fish Winni and the others without a long drive.

What is the best in your opinion and why?

All input appreciated.

"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
TOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 05:26 PM   #2
old coot
Deceased Member

Default Lakes Region Retirement Towns

All the towns in the area of Lake Winnipesaukee would certainly be pleasant to retire to and I've lived in Wolfeboro for decades.
But if I were coming to the area to retire now, I'd have a hard look at Tuftonboro.
Only a reasonable percentage of Tuftonboro property is zoned commercial and the one commercial zone in town can't get any bigger. There are attractive properties both on and off the lake. A large percentage of Tuftonboro's population is retired and retired people make good neighbors, I think.
And no, I'm not in the Real Estate business! Enjoy your retirement, wherever you settle.
oc
old coot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 06:27 PM   #3
wifi

My (slightly biased) opinion would be Moultonboro, Tuftonboro or Sandwich.

Moultonboro has a rich tax base, but the selectman spend like drunken sailors, added to the rich town 'surcharge' by the state, the tax rate, for what you get, is really small. This state surcharge (for another thread, really) is that Moultonboro gets nothing back for what it pays into the state, as opposed to the 'poor', ie mis-managed who get back everything they put in plus what the 'rich' towns put in. These 'poor' towns have overspent or have welfare policies so they claim they can't support the schools, so the 'rich' towns pay for the mismanaged liberal towns.... enough of this in this thread. Obviously, there are many access points to Winni in M'boro. There are always a minimum of three (moving) radar traps at your service 24 hrs/day in town. Its almost a police state.

Tuftonboro: is what M'boro was 20 years ago. No large subdivisions or endless hordes of people and many places where there are still 10 acres/parcel. They have access to Winni and are more of a sleepy hamlet... very nice. Maybe one (moving) radar trap part time. They have access to Winni. Nice place to look, friendly but not overpowering local government. Very pleasant...

Sandwich: Moultonboro maybe 30 years ago. About 1/5 the town budget, hence not a lot of nanny, overbearing departments in your face all the time. Two full time police officers (opposed to M'boro with 10+), so not lot of overbearing ego control. Somewhat higher taxes, but with a small town budget with a reasonable voting tax base, its managable. NO cable/internet in town (other than me )

Not meaning to knock M'boro, just using as a comparison. My vote would be: Sandwich, Tuftonboro, M'boro. It all depends on what you are looking for
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:08 PM   #4
Slickcraft

Thanked 2,002 Times in 915 Posts

Well you should get a good variety of opinions. We went through the process 10 years ago. Two of our considerations were proximity to things of interest to us and the tax rates in various towns. We picked a lower tax rate town and then did our bit to help keep it that way.
Slickcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2009, 08:47 PM   #5
Airwaves

Congrats TOAD!

My advice is to do your homework. Look at the tax rates, available property, and your needs then do the math. Also check with town hall and see what their plans are for major capital expenditures, like new schools etc. or if a major development is planned or proposed for the area where you are looking to buy. That will at least give you a clue of what the future might hold.

With property values the way they are and the number of foreclosures available you should be able to find something very nice and I would not rule out waterfront...maybe not Winnipesaukee, but waterfront none the less.

Condos are cheaper than single family homes especially if you don't want to deal with landscaping, snow removal etc. However if you don't want to live by the rules of others then a small single family on or near the water (ROW) might be something you should check out.

Look on a real estate website that lists everything MLS lists and you will get a pretty good picture of what is available.

Good luck!

Last edited by Airwaves; 06-21-2009 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Projecting the future
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2009, 06:05 AM   #6
TOAD

Thanks airwaves, slickcraft and wifi!

We are doing all those things and investigating the various towns and and thier web sites as we look at the real estate. Unfortunately there is not a lot of stuff on the market that fits our needs right now. We don't need big maybe around 1200-1500 sq ft. I do need at least a 2 carge garage and preferably three or an out building to house the boat, kayaks, ATV, plow snowblower etc.

It looks like the towns right around the bigger lakes have the lower tax rates, and more to offer those of us gettin along in the actuarial tables. Also proximity to a decent hospital is a consideration because of the age also. I'm 60 and the wife is 58. Though we are in good health one never knows what could be instore.

I am an avid fisherman and want to have numberous ponds and lakes available without traveling a long distance. The wife is a dedicated animal lover and would spend a lot of her time volunteering at animal shelters, humane society, and things of that sort. We are both news junkies and are interested in in politics. We would be looking for a town that is perhaps more "conservative" in nature. We are basically voting with our feet in leaving Massachusetts for NH even though NH seems to be tending toward liberalism it's still heads above MA when it comes to good old common sense. I'm retired Air Force and would also like relatively close access to the VFW's, American Legions etc.

Right now from our investigation it is the towns that actually border the bigger bodies of water have the lower tax rates. The Northeast section of Winni seems kind of remote to us and there does not seem to be a whole lot of things to do over there for year round residents which we will be.

Right now Meredith, Alton, Laconia, Tilton seem pretty nice, low taxes, but most everything we have found of interest for a house with the proper requirements are in Barnstead. Not to say that Barnstead is a bad place it is just a little farther away from the big concentration of lakes and ponds and a fairly hefty tax rate in comparison to others.

Thanks for the help and opinions...sure hope we can find something soon.

We are working with a great broker/buyer with the Bean Group.
"Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.....Unknown....but attributed to George Washington
Old 06-22-2009, 08:47 AM   #7
SAMIAM

Thanked 1,626 Times in 562 Posts

Ok,Toad,I'm only doing this because I like you......but don't tell anyone.The best place by far to live is in Meredith center.........not the center of Meredith,but the little village right off rt 104 between Meredith and laconia.It's so peaceful and quiet,you'll think you're 100 miles from nowhere....we didn't even get bike noise last week but it's only 10 minutes to Laconia shopping....same to Meredith and 10 minutes to I-93.it's right smack dab in the middle of all the lakes and ponds for fishing.Winni,Winnisquam,Winona,Wicwas as well as Pemi lake,Pickerel Pond....all have boat ramps.
House's from the low $100's all the way up to 1 mil......depending on your price range.You should check out "Windsong Place"......really nice neighborhood in the 200-300k range when available. Good luck.
SAMIAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:45 PM   #8
Irish mist

You guys might want to keep Gilford on your list. Decent taxes. Close to everything. There are 2 new single home developments that I know of in Laconia. One is on R11B & the other is in Lakeport.
________
Harley-Davidson Model 10

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 12:57 PM   #9
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Laconia

After much thoughts, I retired in Laconia on Lake Winnisquam. The tax base is very reasonable and there is industries supporting it. Access to 93 is great by way of 106 if you go South or 140 if you go North. I trailer my boat so it is easy to get to Paugus Bay as well as Winnisquam. Wildwood Village is a great place as it is very quiet and is walking distance to Laconia Center. PM me if you would like more info about Wildwood Village.
Old 06-22-2009, 07:10 PM   #10
WinnDixie

Default Taxes there

I'm reading this thread with interest, esp. because of the references to the reasonable taxes. It shows how far down the learning curve one can get! We lived in Laconia for almost 30 years, from 1969-1998, and I thought the taxes were high! I really didn't have any info on taxes in, say MA or CT. Obviously they are much higher, not to mention that they have broad-based taxes, too. Of course, I also have had a hard time wrapping my mind around just what a house costs these days. The prices went up tremendously in those years we lived there. I'd be curious to know just how much less your tax burden will be up there. vs. from where you moved.
WinnDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2009, 07:31 PM   #11
WinnDixie

Default Welcome, TOAD

Back again, because I forgot to say "Welcome to the Forum, Toad (and Tadpole?)." We have a military history in the family,and presently have two grandsons in the military: one in the Army, headed to Afghanistan; one in the 5th week of basic training in the Air Force at Lackland AFB. I'm also married to a Fox News junkie...so it all resonates! Good luck with your search.
Old 06-23-2009, 05:23 AM   #12
Winniview

Smile meredith

we live in lake ridge in meredith which is right off roundabout on rte 3 at top of hill before you head down towards the lake.beautiful views of lake and moutains.development has own docks,swimming pool,playground and you can walk down tracks to downtown in 15 minutes.we keep our boat at merdith marina.also 10 minute walk down tracks.there are several homes currently for sale in $400-800k range plus many lots in$100-300k range.
Winniview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 06:15 AM   #13
TOAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinnDixie View Post
I'm reading this thread with interest, esp. because of the references to the reasonable taxes. It shows how far down the learning curve one can get! We lived in Laconia for almost 30 years, from 1969-1998, and I thought the taxes were high! I really didn't have any info on taxes in, say MA or CT. Obviously they are much higher, not to mention that they have broad-based taxes, too. Of course, I also have had a hard time wrapping my mind around just what a house costs these days. The prices went up tremendously in those years we lived there. I'd be curious to know just how much less your tax burden will be up there. vs. from where you moved.
Here in Ma we have a 5.3% income tax. 6.5% income tax on capital gains. 6.25% sales tax on just about everything except food (standby for that one). I can move to NH away from all that. Real estate tax mil rates are quite similiar but the assements are ridiculous throughout most of the state.

The town I live in has a mil rate $18 per thousand. My house is 1,700 square feet (very nice shape) sitting on just under half an acre. My taxes are over $5500 a year! I can go to NH, get twice as much house with twice a much land and still cut my RE taxes in half (depending on the area). Of course we are looking to downsize so I can save even more.

I do get my trash picked up once a week which is usually around 1 kitchen size trash bag. I estimate I'm paying around $40 bucks a week for that trash bag! Of course I am paying for the children in the school system to NOT get an education.
Old 06-23-2009, 09:05 AM   #14
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default I love your quote Toad.

It won't be long before New Hampshire becames Tax Hampshire and join with Taxachusetts. The Democrats are here and the Unions are slowly taking over the labor base. The Libertarians are already thinking twice about declaring this a 'Gestapo' state.
Old 06-23-2009, 11:11 AM   #15
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOAD View Post
Here in Ma we have a 5.3% income tax. 6.5% income tax on capital gains. 6.25% sales tax on just about everything except food (standby for that one). I can move to NH away from all that. Real estate tax mil rates are quite similiar but the assements are ridiculous throughout most of the state.

The town I live in has a mil rate $18 per thousand. My house is 1,700 square feet (very nice shape) sitting on just under half an acre. My taxes are over $5500 a year! I can go to NH, get twice as much house with twice a much land and still cut my RE taxes in half (depending on the area). Of course we are looking to downsize so I can save even more.

I do get my trash picked up once a week which is usually around 1 kitchen size trash bag. I estimate I'm paying around $40 bucks a week for that trash bag! Of course I am paying for the children in the school system to NOT get an education.
Years ago there was a mass-move to Nashua to save tons in Mass. taxes - remember that? Ask someone in Nashua now what their paying in taxes, probably more than you for the equivalent home. I'm from Mass. also and yup, also pay for my own trash pickup (Waste MGT.) but I guess my bags are cheaper, only because I leave more out. Don't know my exact square footage this second but it's very close to yours (I know I'm under 2,000 Ft.) My tax bill (LAST YEAR) was 6,900 - consider yourself lucky!
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 11:58 AM   #16
Argie's Wife

Default Of interest...

NH ranks 46 for the lowest overall tax burden in the United States.

NEW HAMPSHIRESales Taxes
State Sales Tax: None. There is an 8% tax on lodging and restaurant meals and a 7% tax on two-way communications.
Gasoline Tax: 19.6 cents/gallon
Diesel Fuel Tax: 19.6 cents/gallon
Cigarette Tax: $1.33 cents/pack of 20

Personal Income Taxes
New Hampshire depends more upon real property taxes for revenue than most states since there are no general income, sales or use taxes. The state also receives substantial revenue from taxes on motor fuels, tobacco products, alcoholic beverages sold through the state liquor stores, and pari-mutuel betting. The state income tax is limited to a 5% tax on dividends and interest income of more than $2,400 ($4,800 for joint filers). A $1,200 exemption is available for residents who are 65 years of age or older.
Retirement Income: Not taxed.

Property Taxes
Local property taxes, based upon assessed valuation, are assessed, levied and collected by municipalities. To view the tax rates for each town, click here.

A state education property tax rate of $2.14 (2008) per $1,000 of total equalized valuation is assessed on all New Hampshire property owners. An elderly exemption for property taxes can be age, net income limits, including Social Security income, and net asset limits. Property taxes can be deferred but accrue interest at the rate of 5% per annum. The deferred property tax may not exceed more than 85% of the equity value of the residence. The deferral is available (if granted) by the assessing officials, to any resident property owner who is at least 65 years old. For single homeowners 65 and older who earn less than $5,000 and married couples who earn less than $6,000, $5,000 of their property's assessed value is exempt from taxes. In addition, the homeowner's other assets besides the home must be worth less than $35,000.

There is a Low & Moderate Income Homeowner's Property Tax Relief program in New Hampshire. Click here. You must own a homestead subject to the state education property tax; reside in such homestead as of April 1 of the year for which the claim for relief is made; have a total household income of (1) $20,000 or less if a single person or (2) $40,000 or less if married or head of a New Hampshire household.

Call 603-271-2687 for details on property taxes or click here for municipal tax rates.

Inheritance and Estate Taxes
New Hampshire's Legacy & Succession Tax was repealed in 2002 and is effective for deaths occurring on or after January 1, 2003. As a result there is no inheritance or estate tax.

For further information, visit the New Hampshire Department of Revenue Administration site or call 603-271-2318.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 02:50 PM   #17
WinnDixie

Default I see!

Yup! Can see why NH looks really good compared to those numbers, Toad! We're doing ok here, because our pensions are exempt from the state income tax, and our property tax is much lower. Even with Huntsville's 8% sales tax, we don't feel that kind of pain. I have a friend who was in real estate here who said they loved to get clients coming from the northeast! Of course property is all getting more expensive by the year...and has plenty of room to go UP. I couldn't seem to figure out just what AL's ranking was, but it's got to be fairly low for retirees, I'd guess.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:54 PM   #18
nj2nh

Default Biased

I vote for Alton. I have been going up there for every summer of my, well, neverming how long, but it is a long time.

Whenever I contemplate retirement (not soon enough), it is Alton that pops into my head. Of course, there isn't much there in the way of a downtown like the other lake communities, but I love it anyway.

nj2nh
Old 06-23-2009, 03:06 PM   #19
TOAD

I love theses responses. Yup...I done the investigation and NH looks real good to me that's why I'm looking up there. I can't stand hot weather so I definitely can't go south. I understand that the tax structure as it is now is not written in stone and the only certainty is that the government pig will be going after our wallets more and more....but right now NH ain't that bad and it is was better than the other NE states tax comparison....and besides...everyone we have met up there seem to be real nice folks.

Again we are looking ot retain some of that old town New England ambiance of yesterday....if it even still exists.

"Live free or die"...... at least for a little while longer!
Old 06-23-2009, 04:20 PM   #20
Irish mist

Quote:

You make a very important point that is often overlooked, or not understood. Massachusetts has lower property taxes (in most cases) but since the valuation of most Mass property is much higher than NH the property tax burden in Mass equals that of NH very often. And unless you live in one of the top towns like Lexington, Belmont, Weston, and such, the public schools are terrible which often means sending your kids to private school.
________
Og kush

Last edited by Irish mist; 02-27-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Irish mist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2009, 07:32 PM   #21
Argie's Wife

Alton has a senior care program that's not like anything I've ever heard of and it makes me proud to know my town manages this service. A trust fund was set up by an Alton resident that provides in-home care for seniors so that they don't have to go into a nursing home but can continue to live at home.

The program provides a care giver/homemaker to go to the senior's home each day, at no cost. I think there's a limit on the number of seniors they can assist each year but the program is excellent and I have a neighbor who has benefitted greatly from it. Very cool.
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 09:58 AM   #22
laketrout

The best lake towns to retire on are the ones:
You would like to live in
The ones you could afford to live in as real estate varies.
Health issues.

I do not know if someone already poasted this. A consideration would
be your age, health, if medical care is important and necessary (hospital).
Laconia or Wolfboro would be your best bets IMO, most other towns are 20-40+ minutes drive to an emergency room, this was a consideration as one of my family members has health issues.
laketrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 12:48 PM   #23
BGB2

Default Flatlander?

My wife and I have also been grappling with where to retire. My parents were New Hampshire natives. We lived in Laconia for my earliest years. I have a strong emotional bond with the lakes region. That said, on several visits I've been reminded that I'm just a tourist, a flatlander.

I'm curious about the experiences of "flatlanders" who retired to the lakes region. Any observations from recent retirees to to the lakes region? No urgency.
BGB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 02:28 PM   #24
LadyJane

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGB2
I'm curious about the experiences of "flatlanders" who retired to the lakes region. Any observations from recent retirees to to the lakes region? No urgency.
I've talked with a lot of folks around the Meredith area who are "transplants" from Mass. and Ct. They all seem very, very happy that they made the move.
By the way, in the book "Retirement Places Rated", they rate the Lake Winnepesaukee region in the top 10 places in the USA to live, based on a multitude of criteria which includes climate, services, ambiance, safety, cost of living, the economy, etc.
I live in Ct. too, and while some folks here have the idea that it's SO much colder "up there", it really isn't. And I DO think you have more sunshine days than we have, although.....there aren't too many of those for any of us lately.
LadyJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 03:29 PM   #25
TOAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGB2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyJane
I've talked with a lot of folks around the Meredith area who are "transplants" from Mass. and Ct. They all seem very, very happy that they made the move.
By the way, in the book "Retirement Places Rated", they rate the Lake Winnepesaukee region in the top 10 places in the USA to live, based on a multitude of criteria which includes climate, services, ambiance, safety, cost of living, the economy, etc.
I live in Ct. too, and while some folks here have the idea that it's SO much colder "up there", it really isn't. And I DO think you have more sunshine days than we have, although.....there aren't too many of those for any of us lately.
Great question!...who has made the move and are you happy you did?

I'm 99.9% sure I will be happy up there but others may have experienced negatives that make them wish they hadn't.

Opinions and thoughts appreciated.
Old 06-26-2009, 07:37 PM   #26
ApS

Cool Take Your Time...

Quote:
"...Unfortunately there is not a lot of stuff on the market that fits our needs right now...The Northeast section of Winni seems kind of remote to us and there does not seem to be a whole lot of things to do over there for year round residents which we will be...most everything we have found of interest for a house with the proper requirements are in Barnstead...
I agree completely with old coot—which is to say, Tuftonboro. Next-door Wolfeboro does have retirement communities when you feel the need in 30 or 40 years. Wolfeboro also has a VFW site. It's not such a long drive to Rochester or Dover hospitals, and there are specialists "aplenty" in Town.

I'd take my time with this decision. I found myself moving from one place on a lake to another on a large ocean channel. For sailing, there was a lot more breeze on the channel—and for keeping the bugs down. (Sometimes, there's way too much breeze).

You might want to cruise the weekend yard sales to ask about specific neighborhoods: People expect strangers to drive up and gab, and you might find some "buys" for your new homestead.

Surely you've considered a year-long rental in Barnstead?
Old 06-27-2009, 01:43 PM   #27
Zee

Default Happy with Decision!

We retired and moved to Tuftonboro from Massachusetts last year. We built our home about 4 years ago and were spending weekends and vacations here. We do not have (nor could we afford waterfront). This has been one of the best decisions we have made. Even without waterfront we spend a great deal of time on the water. We decided on Tuftonboro because of the solitude. It is the quietest town on the lake but we are only 6 miles from Wolfeboro if we want people.

Tuftonboro taxes are much lower than we were paying for our central Mass. home. No income tax on our pensions will help as well. Yes, we are further away from the big box stores but we have gotten used to combining trips. We find we are spending less on stuff we find we really didn't need. We buy less compulsively. We also enjoy winter here as we are snow machiners. Its tough to do that in Mass. We are closer to the mountains and the lake we love.
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 04:42 PM   #28
Mr. V

What about the quality and availability of health care?

Laconia is a pretty small place, and the hospital isn't very big.
Mr. V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 05:56 AM   #29
TOAD

Are there any stained glass suppliers/retail/teaching establishments in or around the Lakes Region? I work quite a bit in this art form and intend to do more after retirement.

Can't find anything on the internet/google for this.

Thanks.