Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > General Discussion
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 05-22-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts
Default Hiking trails on Mt roberts, Bald Knob...

Are there any good hiking trails on Mt Roberts/Bald knob. You know the ex volcano....

Looking to do some hiking in the area. Close to where I live in Moultonborough. I already know Mt Major. Done that.
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
Lakegeezer

Default Bald Knob is a great hike

The trail to Bald Knob starts right on the Moultonborough, Tuftenboro line. There is only room for a couple of cars. You head through a sand pit, and the trail is fairly gradual for quite a way. Then, it gets mildly steep for a while - going across and up ledges. As you near the top, it gets wildly steep - to the point you are holding on to trees to pull your self up. That part is pretty short though. The trail is about 1 mile long. The view from the top is amazing!
Old 05-22-2009, 04:21 PM   #3
wifi

Default Careful of where you go

The LRCT has "No Trespassing, violators prosecuted" signs as you go toward the Roberts trail. If charges are pressed, this is a criminal charge (felony).

I love hiking, just be careful of where you are.
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2009, 04:46 PM   #4
fatlazyless

Those LRCT signs must be for motorized vehicles, like snowmobiles, and not intended for foot traffic, like humans with feet........capiche! Snowmobiles not welcome.......hikers very welcome.....LRCT!

The WMNF has signs like that, made at a federal prison in Utah, at many trail entry spots, and the fine print says something like $250 first violation or so for motorized vehicles. The WMNF even has four wheel drive suv, police cruisers with federal police just waiting to read you your rights for taking a dirt motorcycle up the trail.

Obama's half-brother from Africa just got hisself a job as a forestry cop up in Twin Mountain...........no, not really........just tossed that one in for effect!
Old 05-22-2009, 04:49 PM   #5
DRH

Default Just Hiked It

Quote:
Originally Posted by wifi View Post
The LRCT has "No Trespassing, violators prosecuted" signs as you go toward the Roberts trail. If charges are pressed, this is a criminal charge (felony).

I love hiking, just be careful of where you are.
Our neighborhood hiking group hiked to the top of Mount Roberts on May 8 and we saw no "No Trespassing" signs anywhere. We drove up the access road from Rt. 171 toward the Castle In The Clouds (and the water bottling plant) and parked in the small lot just outside the main gate. We then walked past the horse stable building to the Mt. Roberts trail and proceeded up the old carriage road. The trail was well marked and the views are excellent. The black flies were really bad, but we saw no "No Trespassing" signs anywhere.
Old 05-22-2009, 04:52 PM   #6
wifi

Ohh... great, thanks for the info..... Things have changed (at least for the moment)

/me slips on his hiking boots...
wifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 07:04 PM   #7
Zee

Default Trail Map Available

The LRCT has a trail map for purchase at their office. We bought one last year and I am sorry to say I don't remember the cost. Their office is in Meredith in the building just to the right of the Case n' Keg. I am sure their phone number is "in the book".
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 10:25 AM   #8
patman

You can also get to Bald Knob from the trailhead on 171 near the Castle entrance. Park in the lot across the street and head up the trail, which is gated except during snowmobile season. Just before the trail starts to head back downhill to the bridge, there's a second trail that splits off to the right. (It's easy to walk right past it...keep your eyes open.) That trail intersects with the carriage trail, which gets you up to BK. Slightly longer but much less steep than the one at the tboro/mboro line.

Hit any of the local stores (Skelly's, M'boro General Store) and pick up a LRCT map. Lots of good hiking there.
patman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 07:34 PM   #9
Lakesrider

Thanked 1,016 Times in 345 Posts

Thanks, I have never seen a map at Skelly's I'll have to look again.....
Lakesrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 05:54 AM   #10
T.H.E. Binz

Default LRCT Now In Center Harbor

FYI -- The LRCT moved to 156 Dane Road in Center Harbor earlier this spring, i.e., halfway up the hill on 25B.
T.H.E. Binz is offline   Reply With Quote