Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Support Forum > Site Support Forum
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 02-21-2006, 09:11 AM   #1
Cbeach

Default What kind of software for camera.

Hi Sorry if this has been asked before I'm new, but I just got a new Digital camera Cannon Rebel XT. Can anyone suggest a photo software for a novice to use, and also what do you suggest for scanning you old post cards. These photos are beautiful and so are the post cards.

Thanks in advance.
Cbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 10:33 AM   #2
spinker

Try doing a google search on "Picasa" it is a free program provided by Google.
It is an excellant program that will search your computer for all of your photos new as well as old and organize them, as well as enhancing your photos.you will like it.
spinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 12:17 PM   #3
fpartri497

Default Picasa

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinker
Try doing a google search on "Picasa" it is a free program provided by Google.
It is an excellant program that will search your computer for all of your photos new as well as old and organize them, as well as enhancing your photos.you will like it.
I have been using Picasa for about a mth. now, I love the program. I have now about 700 family photo`s in the program. It has great photo enhancement tools.

fpartri497

Old 02-21-2006, 01:46 PM   #4
trfour

Cbeach,

A flatbed scanner works best for old postcards and photo prints. Also the prices have come down quite a bit.

There are lots of very talented folks out here that can help you along, so you came to the right place.
Good luck.

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 06:25 PM   #5
islandAl

Default Photo software

Congrats on the camera. Hope you love it as much as I do mine.
I use Adobe Photoshop Elements and found it easy to use and also has the capacity to do things I have not figured out yet.
Great for the auto fix or adjustments you make yourself. Suggest you keep the original photo and work off a copy to make the changes.
Also check out www.photoworkshop.com and click on cannon for some great tips and ideas.
Next investment, look at image stabalization lenes. Great for the wildlife shots where the subjects do not stay still for you to set up the tripod.
islandAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2006, 03:31 PM   #6
Cbeach

Default Thanks for the help!

I want to thank the members for your information, I'm looking forward to playing with my new camera.

Again Thanks,
Cbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 07:15 PM   #7
Mee-n-Mac

Lightbulb Scanner

We recently replaced an old dead scanner with a new "cheapie" Epson Perfection (I don't recall the model #). It was nothing special, their entry level scanner. Worked OK for us to scan in prints. Given the prices of the multifunction printers/scanners/faxes you may want to look in one of them as well. Here's one place to find some info .. http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/02/...call_the_tune/

As for software I use Paint Shop Pro though it has a bit of a learning curve, as would Adobe Elements. I'd be surprised if Canon didn't throw in a basic photo manipulation tool, if only to convert RAW files. If you're a complete novice you may find this good enough to start with. I've not used Picasa but know a relative who does and she swears by it. When you're comfortable with the basics you may want to peruse the levels, curves, sharpening and layers/masks "tutorials" found here ... http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/Phot...1/_Levels.html