Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Boating
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-21-2015, 07:10 AM   #1
Dave R

Default Advanced trailering tips

I've been trailering boats for years and have it down to a science. Here are some random tips to make it easier:

1. Don't put the trailer in too deep. If the boat does not contact the trailer at least a 1/3 of the way back from the bow, it will usually be difficult to center on the trailer. If the boat is too heavy to winch, simply back the trailer up AFTER the boat is partially winched up.

2. Drive the boat to and onto the trailer under idle power. Do not use more than idle power and do not make everyone wait while you try to manhandle the boat onto the trailer with lines. The boat has and engine for a reason, use it. If you can't get the boat centered on the trailer in this manner, see tip #1 above.

3. Roll down your windows, take off your seat belt and make sure there are no passengers in the tow vehicle when launching and retrieving. Things can go horribly wrong very quickly when there's a heavy weight trying to drag your tow vehicle into the water. Minimize risk and give yourself a fighting chance if things do go wrong.

4. Leave the winch in the right state for releasing slack when you unhook the winch strap/cable from your boat upon launching. I put my winch in neutral right after I release the boat. When I retrieve the boat, the strap is ready to be pulled out and I don't have to fumble with it.

5. If you don't drive the boat off the trailer, use two lines to control the boat as it comes off the trailer. One line is inadequate.

6. Use a system to remember key steps in launching and retrieving. I made an aluminum (does not rust and stain my gel coat) box-end wrench that fits the garboard (drain) plug and I put the starboard transom strap hook through the wrench when I attach the strap to the transom of my boat. Its presence when I remove the strap before launching the boat reminds me to install the plug. My boat has integrated brake/directional lights that need to be disconnected prior to launching. I put a bright pink nylon strap on the wire for the lights and I loop the strap over the winch handle when I connect the wiring. When I launch the boat, I have to remove the strap from the winch handle to move the handle and that reminds me to unplug the wire.

I realize I have posted some or all of this stuff before, but I continually witness stuff at launch ramps that makes me shake my head and hope that someone gets something useful from these tips. Feel free to add to them or go off on a tangent.

Last edited by Dave R; 09-21-2015 at 11:54 AM.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post:
ITD (09-21-2015), persamp (09-29-2015), Rattlesnake Gal (09-25-2015), secondcurve (09-22-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 08:29 AM   #2
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,089 Times in 783 Posts
Default Bottom of the sterring wheel

When backing the trailer down a ramp or into a parking space. It is easier to steer when you grab the bottom of the steering wheel as oppose to grabbing the top of the wheel. It makes mind to hands coordination so much easier!
Old 09-21-2015, 10:04 AM   #3
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,151 Times in 898 Posts
Default Power loading

"Drive the boat to and onto the trailer under idle power. Do not use more than idle power and do not make everyone wait while you try to manhandle the boat onto the trailer with lines. The boat has and engine for a reason, use it."

Be careful about "power loading". Many ramps have restrictions specifically prohibiting this. Ramps that have poured concrete or concrete planks only go so far into the water. When you power load you displace the lake bottom at the end of the planks.

When someone comes along with a longer trailer or a larger boat they go off the end of the concrete and the trailer drops. In some situations when there has been a lot of power loading I have seen trailers go off the end and drop down to a point where the trailer frame is on the ground. There is no easy or inexpensive recovery from this.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post:
camp guy (09-21-2015), hig (09-21-2015), noreast (09-21-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 11:54 AM   #4
noreast

Many ramps in NH are ruined from power loading. Take it easy.
noreast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 12:22 PM   #5
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
"Drive the boat to and onto the trailer under idle power. Do not use more than idle power and do not make everyone wait while you try to manhandle the boat onto the trailer with lines. The boat has and engine for a reason, use it."

Be careful about "power loading". Many ramps have restrictions specifically prohibiting this. Ramps that have poured concrete or concrete planks only go so far into the water. When you power load you displace the lake bottom at the end of the planks.

When someone comes along with a longer trailer or a larger boat they go off the end of the concrete and the trailer drops. In some situations when there has been a lot of power loading I have seen trailers go off the end and drop down to a point where the trailer frame is on the ground. There is no easy or inexpensive recovery from this.
Driving onto the trailer at idle speed is not what most consider "power loading". Power loading is when you use the engine rather than the winch to get the boat all the way to the bow stop. That said, if there's any doubt, shut the engine off a second or two before the boat contacts the trailer, that's what I do. I've done it several times in front of F&G officers right next to signs that say "No Power Loading" and I have never been hassled. I also asked the Downings how they defined power loading and they feel the same way I do.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2015, 03:35 PM   #6
jetlag100

If your driving a pick-up..put the tailgate down...better visibility......
jetlag100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 03:39 PM   #7
Shreddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlag100 View Post
If your driving a pick-up..put the tailgate down...better visibility......
Learn to use your side view mirrors. You'll thank me later. I never put the tailgate down on a pickup, open the latch on an SUV, or anything like that even with an empty jet ski trailer. It's so easy to see and control the empty trailer by using side view mirrors. I can't remember the last time I actually looked over my shoulder while backing up a trailer but to each their own. I'd have no issue pegging a small trailer with inches of clearance on each side, but I've also been doing it for so long (I drop my jet ski in and out of the water every weekend in the summer).
Old 09-21-2015, 04:04 PM   #8
Grandpa Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiltonBB View Post
" In some situations when there has been a lot of power loading I have seen trailers go off the end and drop down to a point where the trailer frame is on the ground. There is no easy or inexpensive recovery from this.
Actually there is a simple recovery method I have seen used.
Run the winch strap under the length of the trailer
then pull it up behind the rear cross member and attach it to the bow eye of the boat
tighten the winch and it will lift the trailer enough to pull it ahead back onto the ramp easily.
ApS (09-25-2015), billy (09-22-2015), CL 240 LS (09-21-2015), Dave R (09-21-2015), hig (09-21-2015), Rattlesnake Gal (09-25-2015), SAMIAM (09-22-2015), TiltonBB (09-21-2015)
Old 09-21-2015, 05:36 PM   #9
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Redneck View Post
then pull it up behind the rear cross member and attach it to the bow eye of the boat
tighten the winch and it will lift the trailer enough to pull it ahead back onto the ramp easily.

Brilliant.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:28 PM   #10
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,151 Times in 898 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandpa Redneck View Post
Like I said.................There is an easy way to fix this when it happens!
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 08:55 PM   #11
Yankee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadHopper View Post
When backing the trailer down a ramp or into a parking space. It is easier to steer when you grab the bottom of the steering wheel as oppose to grabbing the top of the wheel. It makes mind to hands coordination so much easier!
Good advice, I'll add the when your hand is at the bottom of the wheel move it in the direction that you want the boat to go.

For what it's worth, I've had bunk trailers for every boat that I have owned. For those who don't know, that means wooden planks covered with marine carpet ie: no rollers. It takes a bit more skill backing in, but you can get that trailer under your boat, winch it in then slowly drive up the ramp and let the boat settle onto the trailer. IMO, it's much less hassle and allows you to leave the ramp quicker. And the boat self levels itself on the trailer.

Of course you can do the same with a trailer equipped with rollers, but most boaters with rollers assume that the way to get their boat onto the trailer is turn the crank and drag it up onto the trailer and never think of floating the boat onto the trailer.

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of Obamunism should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest the Republic become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

. . .Evidently nothing.

(Cicero, 55 BC augmented by me, 2010 AD)
Yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 04:55 AM   #12
rowinghelmet

Great tips!

One additional tip- invest in getting your trailer setup well with guideposts and a keel bunk (small bunks towards the front of the trailer). With these it's nearly impossible not to center your boat and load it perfectly every time.

rowinghelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rowinghelmet For This Useful Post:
ApS (09-25-2015)
Old 09-22-2015, 10:56 AM   #13
dpg

I don't do it much anymore but always had an issue getting the trailer in the water the perfect amount. Always not wanting to "float" the boat onto the trailer but if it's out too far your cranking the whole damn boat up by hand! Any simply "rule of thumb" of how much of the trailer goes into the water? I'll pass on the suggestion to my kids as they do it now.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:48 PM   #14
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

It takes a few times to figure out the exact amount of trailer to submerge to get the loading perfect. Once that sweet spot is found it's very easy to get the boat on or off the trailer. The key thing is the sweet spot for loading is not the same for unloading. It's downright painful to see the way some people operate especially the ones that insist on loading or unloading with ropes. In fact I think it's dangerous because they have little control over the boat and nobody is inside so if it gets away from them... then what? My word of advice, if loading or unloading from a bunk trailer is kicking your ass you're doing something wrong. It ain't rocket science!

All bets are off on a roller trailer, those things are horrid.
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 07:15 AM   #15
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
I don't do it much anymore but always had an issue getting the trailer in the water the perfect amount. Always not wanting to "float" the boat onto the trailer but if it's out too far your cranking the whole damn boat up by hand! Any simply "rule of thumb" of how much of the trailer goes into the water? I'll pass on the suggestion to my kids as they do it now.
No rule of thumb, boat/trailer/ramp combinations are simple too numerous. That said, see tip #1. Always start with the trailer shallow and work backwards. If winching starts to get challenging, back the trailer is a bit to ease the friction on the trailer.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:09 AM   #16
chris410

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
My rule of thumb that works 10 out of 10 times (for my trailer) is when the trailer fenders are JUST submerged. This is for retrieving the boat.

For launching, I back the trailer into the water until I notice the boat start to float (still connected at the bow)
chris410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 08:03 PM   #17
dickiej

The only tip I know of is: when launching, make sure the transom plug is in! Learned the hard way more than once!
dickiej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2015, 07:30 AM   #18
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris410 View Post
My rule of thumb that works 10 out of 10 times (for my trailer) is when the trailer fenders are JUST submerged. This is for retrieving the boat.

For launching, I back the trailer into the water until I notice the boat start to float (still connected at the bow)
On mine, the tops of the fenders are usually 2+ feet underwater when it's in the right spot.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:34 PM   #19
DBreskin

Default Here's how I remomber to install the garboard plug:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiej View Post
The only tip I know of is: when launching, make sure the transom plug is in! Learned the hard way more than once!
Having learned the hard way, I attached a split ring to my garboard plug by drilling through the square end of the plug. When I remove the plug from the transom I attach it to a shackle I installed on the winch handle. It's hard to forget to install the plug if it's right in front of you.
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 02:50 PM   #20
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts
Default Here is another way...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBreskin View Post
Having learned the hard way, I attached a split ring to my garboard plug by drilling through the square end of the plug. When I remove the plug from the transom I attach it to a shackle I installed on the winch handle. It's hard to forget to install the plug if it's right in front of you.
Or you can run a key chain through it, and attach it to your boat key ring.
Old 09-29-2015, 03:08 PM   #21
Happy Gourmand

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
Or, put it in a sandwich baggie and tie it to the steering wheel.
Happy Gourmand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 03:23 PM   #22
DBreskin

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
This wouldn't work for me since I leave my keys in the boat all the time. I store the boat on the trailer and launch each day I want to go boating, and I'd hate to have to climb in the boat each time I needed to get the plug.
DBreskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 06:33 AM   #23
Dave R

Thought of another tip. This one's a bit counter-intuitive, but hear me out. If you have surge drum brakes, replace them with electric drum brakes and immobilize or replace your surge coupler. Electric brakes are simpler, less susceptible to problems from being submerged hot and require less repair over time. They are also much more effective because they engage instantly. They are also REALLY cheap. If you have 3500 Lb Dexter axles (very common trailer axles) you can get complete and pre-assembled backing plate/brake assemblies for 37 bucks per wheel. You re-use your drums.

The only electric part on an electric brake is a completely encapsulated electromagnet. It has zero issues with being submerged. The rest of the parts are simple mechanical devices that are no more complex than hydraulic brake parts.

I did this switch a few years ago and other than self-inflicted problems, it's been trouble-free. Prior to this, I was replacing one or two wheel cylinders a year and dealing with bleeding and such.
Old 10-10-2015, 05:55 PM   #24
jhnmdahl

The one thing I wish I'd known when I started is that everything goes smoother if you put the trailer in deeper when unloading than when loading. It takes a little practice to find what works best, but with the boats I've worked with it's always easier to load with the trailer a little shallower and unload with the trailer a little deeper.

John
jhnmdahl is offline   Reply With Quote