Go Back   Winnipesaukee Forum > Winnipesaukee Forums > Winter Sports
Home Forums Gallery Webcams Blogs YouTube Channel Classifieds Calendar Register FAQDonate Members List Today's Posts

Old 03-02-2005, 01:54 PM   #1
Jameside

Default Access to Rita's from the lake?

I was told last weekend that jersey barriers have been placed on the lake where you would normally exit to get to the railroad tracks that take you to the Weirs. Would anyone know if this is a permanent change? Are there other ways to get to the Weirs from that part of the lake? Is it safe to leave a snowmobile on the lake while having lunch?

Thanks for any info.
Jameside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 02:57 PM   #2
Cobalt

Default Railroad tracks access to Weirs

You are right about the jersey barriers. It looks like this is the future site of a new marina, and probably the owners do not want to contend with snowmobiles.

Although, you can access the tracks to Weirs about a 1/4 to 1/2 mile further down the shoreline heading toward Meredith.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 06:30 PM   #3
trfour

Post I would like some more info on this matter.

Question?... Are you telling me that this developer didn't even post a sign redirecting snowmobilers to an alternate entry point, to all of the other Businesses at Weirs Beach, or exit point onto the the lake?

"developer?"...................

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 03-02-2005 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Developer????
trfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 08:31 AM   #4
Cobalt

Default More Info on this Matter

As of last Saturday, February 26th, there were no signs redirecting snowmobilers to an alternate route to access the railroad tracks to Weirs from the Lake.

The only signs were "No Trespassing" spray painted on the barriers.
Cobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 10:10 AM   #5
Pepper

Default And here's why ...

I had occassion to have a conversation with the developer in question, and took the opportunity to ask him about the barriers. Here's what I learned. The barriers have been erected because for the second year in a row, a brand new wooden staircase has been deystroyed by snowmobiles riding up and down the stairs. The stairs must be replaced again. Also for the second year in a row, a paved section of roadway has been torn up by snowmobiles and must be replaced again. In addition to the repairs required as a result of transit itself, now there have been numerous intentional acts of vandalism at various places along the access-way. He has reached the point of ultimate frustration, and feels he has no other option but to prohibit access. He understands fully that these are not the actions of the majority, but rather the few. Unfortunately, as is the case with most things, it is the few who ruin things for the many. How sad!

Under these circumstances I cannot say I blame him for putting up the barriers. Short of hiring a twenty-four-hour patrol service, there is no way for him to prevent these acts of destruction from occuring, and so he's got no other choice left.

Now, I don't know the first thing about snowmobile trails - where are they, how are they marked, or anything else. I do know that snowmobiles have, in the past, been a large part of my wintertime business. The lack of snowmobile business in our area this year is primarily due to two factors:

1.) There just ain't enough snow to get from the lake to here most of the time. And:

2.) There is no longer any fuel available anywhere around here, so why bother coming in off the lake?

I can tell you that yesterday eight snowmobiles found there way to our place after failing to find fuel in Meredith - they came in on the railroad bed, and had a straight shot to the Weirs. So this at least tells me that the railroad bed is a good trail.

What I can't tell you is how to access the trail from the lake. Obviously the access many snowmobiler's used is the one at Akwa Marina. Well, it's closed now, and for apparently good reason. I don't know if this was part of any "marked trail" or "maintained trail" (I doubt that highly!), but I do know that as property owners we do have the right to restrict access to our own parcels, and I bear no ill-will to anyone who feels the need to do so. Do I feel that he should be responsible for pointing the way to an alternate route? No, I really don't. After trying to be a good neighbor for two winters in a row, and sustaining costly damage for it as a thank you, I'd be really ticked off and block my property off too. In all fairness, I don't feel it's his responsibilty to offer directions, any more than it's the responsibility of any shorefront owner to provide directions to those coming off the lake! Others may feel differently, and I respect that. I also respect this man's right to say "No More!"

That said, if anyone here can provide directions for others - please, post the information here for all to read. Somebody out there knows another way to access the railroad tracks - step up to the plate and share the info. If possible, perhaps someone could actually get out there and post their own signs on the lake showing others the way? I don't know - just a thought.

Safe riding, everyone!
Old 03-05-2005, 10:38 AM   #6
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,061 Posts

Unfortunately, those actions are proof that Capt. Bonehead does other things besides boating!!!! And these actions not only hurt other snowmobilers, but also merchants along the trails, because if the snowmobilers can't get to that store, that restaurant, that gas station, then they will be going somewhere else to spend their money. Sorry state of affairs.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:03 PM   #7
Major problem

Lightbulb

The responsibility for signage on these trails is with the State Bureau of Trails through the local snowmobile club assigned to maintain them. I don't know which club maintains that area but I'm sure they would be willing to listen to the concerns of the land owners. The 'biler community has to address the land owner's concerns or lose access to trails and corridors.

Landowner relations is the top priority for the clubs (the same applies to ATV clubs). Perhaps membership and participation in a club should be REQUIRED instead of just suggested in order to register a machine. That way peer pressure and the threat of losing trails can be impressed apon the few bad apples that crop up.

Too many un-affiliated riders don't appreciate that they only have a place to ride because of the efforts of hard working club volunteers.
Major problem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 10:52 PM   #8
Pepper

Default I can't even believe this!!!

Well folks, it appears that the story gets even more disgusting. This afternoon a father and son pair came into our place on their machines. They visit two or three times each snowmobiling season. While they were dining they asked why the trail was blocked off (as it was open their last time through). I explained the situation to them, and guess what their response was: "Well, it really is no problem, we went around the barriers" I was dumbstruck! I had tried again to explain that they were trespassing on private property which had sustained damage, and they then claimed: "Well, we didn't see any steps damaged" Yeah, like they were looking for damage. They didn't care about anyone's private property - they just cared about getting where they wanted to go - and to heck with the "No Trespassing" order! I had to give up the conversation, because I would have begun to behave in a most unprofessional manner at that point. After they left, the other customers in the dining room expressed horror at what they had heard, and left shaking their heads in disgust.

At this point, I began to wonder which was worse:

1.) The fact that they blatantly ignored the posting of No Trespassing signs, or

2.) The example this father set for his son.

It pretty well comes out to be a tie, I think. It makes me sick. My red hair was wanting to burst into flames today for sure!
Old 03-06-2005, 06:34 PM   #9
trfour

Post Keep the faith!

For all property owners in New Hampshire,
At the first sign of any problem with snowmobiler related infraction, may I add an alternative to applying barriers.

#1. Contact a local Snowmobile Club, and or, NHSA at... http://www.nhsa.com/ This will alert them to police the situation, and direct them, and also, New Hampshire Fish & Game to monitor and correct any problem.

#2. I tend to, and take for granted sometimes, that most people feel as I do. This thread has shown me that we all need to work more closely together. I also see the need for me to get more involved and help out, other than just the photos that I post.
I will be devoting more of my free time to help out here. Winter access to all of the Lakes Region Folks, will be in my focus, working with The Weirs Beach Community will be at the top of this list.

#3 Please keep in mind, "Everone".... The Berlin Wall has been dissmantled,
We all need to keep it from coming here!

#4 Scrooll down and read my comments.

12-19-2004 http://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/...ead.php?t=1187
trfour

Always Remember, The Best Safety Device In The Boat, or on a PWC Snowmobile etc., Is YOU!

Safe sledding tips and much more; http://www.snowmobile.org/snowmobiling-safety.html

Last edited by trfour; 03-06-2005 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-06-2005, 08:03 PM   #10
WeirsBeachBoater

Default Heres the problem-- I think

From a snowmobilers point of view, It is frustrating that every year more and more trails and access is lost. Now before you start blaming us for it, I am talking about the access lost due to 1. Development. 2. Liability Issues, such as the city closing off the beach area at Weirs. I bet there was less than half the traffic through the Marina access when you could get off and on at Weirs beach. But Capt. Bonehead and the skimmers did that access in. Sadly it didn't really stop the skimmers, but ruined a good place for proper snowmobilers to congregate and have a fun time. All the ( bad apples) will just find a new access, private property or not, all that the developer has done is pushed the burden to the next poor property owner,and if history tells me anything, it will probably someone who has a summer place that isn't here to stop snowmobilers. There is no real good access that is not private property along the bay, Grouse Point is nice enough to let us through there, but that is a long RR track ride to Weirs. Thats ok, like Pepper said there is no reason to get off at weirs any more any way. NO GAS, unfortunately, Pepper and Ritas will suffer a loss of winter business, but you can blame the city, they started it closing off the beach...As far as Akwa Soleil and that marina and stuff.... I wish that they never came. Not good neighbors. That was a pristine piece of land and that foolish lighthouse looks like a festering boil...so out of place. My opinions.
WeirsBeachBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2005, 08:44 PM   #11
trfour

Post Did you not read my post, WeirsBeachBoater??

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeirsBeachBoater
From a snowmobilers point of view, It is frustrating that every year more and more trails and access is lost. Now before you start blaming us for it, I am talking about the access lost due to 1. Development. 2. Liability Issues, such as the city closing off the beach area at Weirs. I bet there was less than half the traffic through the Marina access when you could get off and on at Weirs beach. But Capt. Bonehead and the skimmers did that access in. Sadly it didn't really stop the skimmers, but ruined a good place for proper snowmobilers to congregate and have a fun time. All the ( bad apples) will just find a new access, private property or not, all that the developer has done is pushed the burden to the next poor property owner,and if history tells me anything, it will probably someone who has a summer place that isn't here to stop snowmobilers. There is no real good access that is not private property along the bay, Grouse Point is nice enough to let us through there, but that is a long RR track ride to Weirs. Thats ok, like Pepper said there is no reason to get off at weirs any more any way. NO GAS, unfortunately, Pepper and Ritas will suffer a loss of winter business, but you can blame the city, they started it closing off the beach...As far as Akwa Soleil and that marina and stuff.... I wish that they never came. Not good neighbors. That was a pristine piece of land and that foolish lighthouse looks like a festering boil...so out of place. My opinions.

It is time for all of the bellyaking to stop!!

Get on aboard, and help us all solve this dreadful situation!! Work with us!

If you can keep in mind that through negociation, we can solve and make an amicable solution to any woeful problem that confronts us all!

Let us join together and make it happen!